Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not happy with Peeters at the moment

Comments

• Options
    He does need to work on both their strengths and weaknesses to boost their confidence.
  • Options
    We have one effective striker and he is obviously not fully fit and hasn't been for a while. It's a huge part of why we can't win games. I feel sure if we had a competitive fit strike force we would be at least half a dozen points better off.

If this glaring problem isn't addressed adequately in January then I might start to get twitchy but I can't believe we won't sort it out.
  • Options

I don't think Peeters has got much longer left here.

No wins in 7 league games now definitely won't help him. The Brighton game is huge for BP as we have two tricky away games at Watford & Wolves after so it could easily become no wins in 10 soon!

3+ new players need to join us in the first week of Jan to stop our drop down the table. On current form from the current bunch we are likely to be only 3 or 4 points of relegation come deadline day if we don't do our business early.
    Youds was there last night watching.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Fact is, who would we get in as a replacement? Another unknown Belgian? I think all managers should be given at least a year.

Considering he's working with a depleted squad made mainly of freebees bar our only striker who is now known to our opponents... he's not doing terribly.

Lets see who he's 'allowed' to bring in over the next month to add to our 1.5 strikers and youth filled team.

Agree pretty much.

If he can bring in HIS OWN players then hopefully we will see an upturn in fortune, but I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    masicat said:

That young Parkinson fella doing well at Bradford.

*shudder*
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

If Bikey and/or Vetokele hadn't fluffed excellent chances, we'd be two to three points better off already, that's just in the last few weeks, if Noel Hunt hadn't scored a belter against us in added time that would be one more point - that's conceivably five points we have missed out on in this one month. Not that I am making excuses for Bob with that, we shouldn't be needing to leave it to the ninety-whatever minute to score a winning goal (or to score any goal actually) but it shows there are very fine margins.

I am leery of laying too much blame on Peeters, I have maintained that the whole season has been a case of strong team, weak squad and now that the season is dragging on that is becoming increasingly more apparent. Bob's been more hit than miss with the signings bought in so far (whoever identified them first) so I guess he has earned at least a chance in the sales.

It's time for RD to show his cards, and even to a lesser extent perhaps Meire also - it's no secret we need reinforcing, Bob has been pretty clear for a while now that he needs more bodies. KM has talked the talk, now to walk the walk and show she isn't merely a spokeswoman I would say.

add George against Millwall into that too. BUT we gained points earlier in the season against say Wigan near the death so it's swings and roundabouts. We are where we are, that's the bottom line.
  • Options

Addicted said:

Fact is, who would we get in as a replacement? Another unknown Belgian? I think all managers should be given at least a year.

Considering he's working with a depleted squad made mainly of freebees bar our only striker who is now known to our opponents... he's not doing terribly.

Lets see who he's 'allowed' to bring in over the next month to add to our 1.5 strikers and youth filled team.

Agree pretty much.

If he can bring in HIS OWN players then hopefully we will see an upturn in fortune, but I am not holding my breath.
    Not sure your highlighted comment is as important as you think. BP is a coach brought up in the continental system where it is most common for the head coach not to have the biggest say in the players he gets to coach. I'm not saying Bob doesn't have input but to think we now work along the lines of Curbs years is not valid.

• Options
    There was me thinking that Managers preferred to work with players they want.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's not our manager and never has been
  • Options
    I remember the win a Reading, the solid 1-0 win there, the cracking atmosphere from the away end (one of the best I can ever recall). It's hard to believe we've only picked up 4 points out of 21 since then...
  • Options

I remember the win a Reading, the solid 1-0 win there, the cracking atmosphere from the away end (one of the best I can ever recall). It's hard to believe we've only picked up 4 points out of 21 since then...

agree. fine lines though isn't it. if Igor hadn't have scored we would be ruing George's last minute miss and added another two points to the recently dropped points total.

• Options
    Imo a paper thin squad on a shoe string budget doesn't help many managers, especially a young inexperienced one learning in an English league for the 1st time.

Roland would be mad to sack bob imo but then backing bob in Rolands view would be moving a player or 2 from another of his clubs and hoping they can do it in this league.

We could all see at the start of the season the squad would be light. We were always going to get injuries and suspensions and then you have Tuesday Saturday games with an even thinner squad. Desperately need reinforcements Roland me old pal.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

Yet he still thinks zonal marking actually works.

Why is there such hatred towards zonal marking? You never hear the same dislike towards man marking.
    Dunces that listen to dunces on Talksport believe it's inherently faulty. Most football analysis we are fed is stupid and most people cannot process the shit out.
    Zonal marking usually leaves you with problems such as this. Balls whipped in and two of X team's strongest header's of the ball flock towards the ball, Cousins & Solly for us, a good ball whipped into Zonal marking is far more likely to cause problems than a well man marked one. Stick your big men on theirs, if they are on the right side of the man and are switched on they can prevent danger. Stick a 5ft man in a 6ft6's zone and there's simply not much he can do if it's whipped at height
  • Options
    That's why you put short players in positions where they won't be competing with 6ft6 strikers. Solly has been on the post all season, a position he no doubt filled last season in a man marking system.
  • Options
    McCarthy was also not happy with Peeters judging by them shaking hands at the start of game(look on the OS photo)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob has been in charge of Charlton for 5 months and some of you don't think he's the man for the job? Come on lads stop embarrassing yourselves.

Under Peeters we've looked a very good side at times. That Derby performance at home was something else. All managers need time and I'm sure we'll go on a run of good results soon enough.

• Options

Bob has been in charge of Charlton for 5 months and some of you don't think he's the man for the job? Come on lads stop embarrassing yourselves.

Under Peeters we've looked a very good side at times. That Derby performance at home was something else. All managers need time and I'm sure we'll go on a run of good results soon enough.

That was a long time ago in footballing terms, and before Bob and our team got found out. He deserves more time but any manager would struggle given the owner and the way he will be doing things. It's why I'm so anti-RD, he is no real good for our football club as unfortunately I do not support our financial papers (of which he has not improved, in fact he has added money to while losing key assets and not improving the value of any).

Bob's got a big month ahead of him, if he's still about.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hate zonal marking in Championship. Never seen a zone score a goal (cliché) more importantly allows the ATT to get the jump on you, get left flat footed most times.

Decent teams get stronger over a season as they bed down into a set pattern of play.

Tactics shouldn't be changed like we do, it's random and not like a change of formation specifically selected to counter oppo. I said after Norwich how shit we were and how that is unsustainable. Last night we started to play when the game was done.

If I saw BP playing the best players in their best positions (we have one player who would get in Champ XI and he is in midfield lol) and the sum always greater than the parts, then I would give him more slack.

This is just my opinion, I am not writing anyone off. I get the BP criticism because forget the results, we are organised like a two bob team and we are used to organisation and players playing above themselves as a minimum.

Signing a couple of decent players won't change the fact we aren't organised like we should be. Might gloss over it but we will still be playing some dusty Russian roulette football.

I don't know how to manage a team but I can spot the difference between strong Tactics and making it up as you go along. Come on BP lets get those partnerships working, play complimentary skillsets together and don't run before you can walk with withdrawn No.10s in the Championship.
  • Options
    There's been a lot of reactions to the latest defeat. Arguably, this defeat is the most predictable of all the recent results. Yes, it was 3-0 and could have been more, it would seem, as we caved in at the end, but it's just one game.

We are playing in a very tight division playing compact sides that don't give too much away. Once you have weaknesses, the opposition tend to exploit it. I don't think the quality of the first eleven is far off a decent Championship outfit. This was shown in the early part of the season when no one could beat us. The lack of a striker has been well documented and, seemingly, the one we do have seems to have been less than 100% fit for many games now.

We are now in the middle of the table, almost equidistant from play offs and the gloom of relegation. That's a position many teams are in. On the positive side, a decent run, Wiggins being fit, Vetokele being fully fit and a couple of signings could mean we end comfortably in mid-table or above. The biggest worry for me is the depth of the squad. At the risk of being a doom and gloom merchant, if Ben Haim gets sent off on Saturday and gets a 3-match ban, Onyewu is out for a few weeks, Wiggins doesn't return, another player gets injured, we could become whipping boys. Yes, that's a few ifs and buts and I could rightly be accused of pessimism, but we would be in trouble.

It's easy to say the next few games are important, but we need to stop the slide, win a couple of games, preferably easily, and this season's mission will have been completed to my mind. If the bad run continues, I worry that we find winning "impossible". I hope we take the Blackburn seriously and field a full side. A win would be precious right now.
  • Options
    All this trouble stemming from the absence of Wiggins for such a long period. Lucky Powell never had to contend with such an insurmountable problem during his time....
  • Options

That was a long time ago in footballing terms, and before Bob and our team got found out. He deserves more time but any manager would struggle given the owner and the way he will be doing things. It's why I'm so anti-RD, he is no real good for our football club as unfortunately I do not support our financial papers (of which he has not improved, in fact he has added money to while losing key assets and not improving the value of any).

Sorry but you are going to have to explain to me how RD has not improved our financial position.

• Options

what you put forward is the key question about Duchatelet. Why did he buy the club? ....... The reality is we still don't know what he is trying to do, although we will have more information from which to form an opinion at the end of January..

I have taken these snippets from Airmans post because it is nail on the head.

I would like to ask Mr D if he knows what motivates us to attend matches.

When he took over Mr D explained to us in a sense of almost innocent wonderment, that football fans gather to interact with fellow friends and supporters. To that end the new regime has attempted to make that experience better, the freshened up stadium, new seats, new pitch, new pictures on the walls, new catering, new programme sellers, the 'sea of red', pricing structure for tickets and so on.

Most of the above has been a decent effort motivated by good instincts, however naïve in some areas. We have also been tantalised by the prospect of the Sparrows Lane development, and intrigued by the potential of the University of Greenwich link up.

However, is all of that stuff a reason for us to keep attending matches? It is all well and good as far as it goes, but the remaining fundamental, the purpose of Charlton Athletic Football is to my mind becoming more and more obfuscated.

I like to go to a nice stadium, see friends and all that, but I also want success and progress on the pitch. This season I have learned that draws are not only one point, but it is like treading water whilst I wait to see where we are going. I am confused by the voracity of the business model, the influence of financial fair play, and in particular the staff churn as dictated by our position in the network.

Maybe there is going to eventually be jam tomorrow, but I wouldn't mind a bit of marmalade today. Why bother to attend matches these days beyond my blind loyalty?

For example to my mind (Astrit and Yoni notwithstanding) the only SL player who has arrived and truly impressed me as a genuine improvement is TBH, yet we have a string of network players in and out of our doors, and I haven't a clue why. The unsettling effect of all the changes, the work in progress nature of things that now seems to resemble painting the Forth Bridge, and the results, have not made me feel more committed, but actually more alienated.

I shall go to Dulwich Hamlet v Leatherhead tomorrow afternoon with my nephew, and to the cup game on Saturday, and I know which one I'm looking forward to most.

If the new regime has a tale to tell then I am waiting to hear it, they say actions speak louder than words but so far the actions seem like an endlessly long preface, and I am still waiting for the story to start.

• Options

Sorry but you are going to have to explain to me how RD has not improved our financial position.

http://www.castrust.org/2014/12/championship-finances-dilemma-facing-charlton-athletic-cafc/
  • Options

So you're basically saying:

'Spend loads of money, *right now*, or I can't be arsed' ?

• Options
    I'm backing Bob