Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Not happy with Peeters at the moment

1235»

Comments

• edited December 2014

Bob has been in charge of Charlton for 5 months and some of you don't think he's the man for the job? Come on lads stop embarrassing yourselves.

Under Peeters we've looked a very good side at times. That Derby performance at home was something else. All managers need time and I'm sure we'll go on a run of good results soon enough.

That was a long time ago in footballing terms, and before Bob and our team got found out. He deserves more time but any manager would struggle given the owner and the way he will be doing things. It's why I'm so anti-RD, he is no real good for our football club as unfortunately I do not support our financial papers (of which he has not improved, in fact he has added money to while losing key assets and not improving the value of any).

Bob's got a big month ahead of him, if he's still about.
    Sorry but you are going to have to explain to me how RD has not improved our financial position.

http://www.castrust.org/2014/12/championship-finances-dilemma-facing-charlton-athletic-cafc/
    Depends what you mean. Roland repaid the debt owed to the offshore company as part of his purchase, presumably, but we don't how he did it, yet. I guess it could still appear as debt to Staprix in the 2013/14 accounts?

Otherwise the strongest argument is probably that he has increased the net value of the squad, although this has to be realised to be meaningful.

We don't know really know what he's done to the business in 2014/15, although we can guess at this stage he has cut costs and that ticket revenue is down and other commercial income up, but not necessarily to the extent being suggested.

We are not likely to go bust, but in my view that was never particularly likely before because of the debt structure.

I suppose it is simply true because Roland has more resources to put behind the club if he so chooses, but that's not to say he will.
  • dickplumb said:

I was one of those 1000 who went last night and yes we played OK in patches but if we played till now we wouldn't have scored. We are powder puff in attack. We have won SIX League games all season. Now we are conceding goals we are in deep shit. Just look at the Ipswich bench, and look at ours, it tells you where both clubs are at.
    The following players are not good enough for a Championship side.
    Fox, Lennon, Bulot, Moussa, Pigott, PP, Reza. Tucudean, Nego. Church. I reserve judgement on Onyewu, Pope, Efheridge. That is a large part of our squad.

Our young players are being played too much in the first team and it is affecting their form. Also Gomez and Cousins are not being helped by Bob playing them out of position. Last night they were awful.

With the Blackburn game coming up we would normally rest players like Bikey, Ben Haim and Solly but with the injuries, Suspensions and thin squad we can't afford to.

Your point re the youngsters struck a chord with me.

Curbs was extremely cautious in the management of young, emerging players. He would protect them from too much football, too early, in the interest of their own stamina, confidence and playing longevity. This is completely at odds with RD who seems to want to bung them in at the earliest opportunity.

TBH I’m not sure who is right, but the contrast of opinions has always struck me as quite acute. If Curbs was right (as I suspect) then we need to recruit some experienced championship players and introduce the youngsters far more gradually.
  • dickplumb said:

I was one of those 1000 who went last night and yes we played OK in patches but if we played till now we wouldn't have scored. We are powder puff in attack. We have won SIX League games all season. Now we are conceding goals we are in deep shit. Just look at the Ipswich bench, and look at ours, it tells you where both clubs are at.
    The following players are not good enough for a Championship side.
    Fox, Lennon, Bulot, Moussa, Pigott, PP, Reza. Tucudean, Nego. Church. I reserve judgement on Onyewu, Pope, Efheridge. That is a large part of our squad.

Our young players are being played too much in the first team and it is affecting their form. Also Gomez and Cousins are not being helped by Bob playing them out of position. Last night they were awful.

With the Blackburn game coming up we would normally rest players like Bikey, Ben Haim and Solly but with the injuries, Suspensions and thin squad we can't afford to.

Your point re the youngsters struck a chord with me.

Curbs was extremely cautious in the management of young, emerging players. He would protect them from too much football, too early, in the interest of their own stamina, confidence and playing longevity. This is completely at odds with RD who seems to want to bung them in at the earliest opportunity.

TBH I’m not sure who is right, but the contrast of opinions has always struck me as quite acute. If Curbs was right (as I suspect) then we need to recruit some experienced championship players and introduce the youngsters far more gradually.
    See also Lennie Lawrence on Carl Leaburn and others.
  • I'm very grateful to RD. Ground looks fantastic, season ticket prices are great value and has given us financial stability.

Also those coming out with the usual rubbish like "he is tactically inept" or "we've been found out", what do these cliché statements actually mean?
  • Season tickets could be fifty quid, who wants to pay to watch the wrong players in the wrong positions not score every game/any game??
  • I don't blame bob for this at all it does not matter what formation he uses the players are simply not got enough
    Rd underestimated the championship sold our best players trimmed the squad down and expected the youth to step up and cope ,with a few loaned in players thrown in the mix as well
    Our bench last night was shocking Wilson the only player worth a place on it?
    Ok great we have a new pitch and nice new red seats a nice pr lady sent over to tell us how rosy it is
    Unfortunately our performances and sliding league postion and attendances tells a different story
  • Fumbluff said:

Season tickets could be fifty quid, who wants to pay to watch the wrong players in the wrong positions not score every game/any game??

Ffs we are mid table. What on earth did you do last year when our play and results were even worse.

• Bob has somehow become a victim of his own success. Flying start to the season and the deluded supporters assume we're going to go up. Suddenly we're not picking up points every game and the manager is [insert cliché here].

There are no weak clubs in this league and some of them have far greater resources than us with bumper grounds to back them up. We're competing so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:

Season tickets could be fifty quid, who wants to pay to watch the wrong players in the wrong positions not score every game/any game??

Wiggins injured, we play Fox LB, Tried hard but came up short. So other than getting Holmes -Dennis
    back from Oxford, we have to play a player in wrong position, Solley or Gomez.

Cousins is played on the left, looks akward but has scored two goal when he cuts in on his right foot.
    Gudmundsson is played on right, has no right foot, but as at Rotherham cuts in on left foot and scores.

Goal against Cardiff(goal of season so far) he was more central.

Never been a great fan of Left and right footed players on wrong side.
    But more in defence, where a good winger can go on outside of wrong footed defender.

• Fumbluff said:

Ffs we are mid table. What on earth did you do last year when our play and results were even worse.

Lol, pretty much stopped going - I'm a fairweather now and loving it :wink:
  • I'm still behind Bob and put the slump largely down to injuries and lack of player investment. What would change my mind is if the rumours of player unrest do turn out to be true.

My issues with Bob's reign so far:

Tinkering with the forward line when we were doing well - Igor can't play on his own or with another little guy. With no suitable alternatives, I feel he should have given George and Igor a chance to cement their partnership.

Despite all of the injuries, no place for Wilson.

Cousins on the left when Harriot, JBG or possibly JJ could play there.

Not getting enough out of JBG. As head coach he needs to get Gudmondsson more involved in games rather than flitting in and out.

Saying "don't worry, we're mid table" is too simplistic. We're on a long run of bad form and unless Bob can halt it, we will end up in trouble.
  • We have been teetering on the verge of administration for the last 8 years. We as recently as 12 months ago couldn't pay the milk bill and we're playing on a ploughed field and sitting on pink seats. Whatever the structure of what we owe to whom, from my perspective RD has addressed all of those issues and I don't now fear that at any point we are going to go bust and get docked points.

From my nieve perspective that means we are better off with him than we were before he arrived.

Not often I agree with you but I'm 100% with you on this.

• WayneK said:

We have been teetering on the verge of administration for the last 8 years. We as recently as 12 months ago couldn't pay the milk bill and we're playing on a ploughed field and sitting on pink seats. Whatever the structure of what we owe to whom, from my perspective RD has addressed all of those issues and I don't now fear that at any point we are going to go bust and get docked points.

From my nieve perspective that means we are better off with him than we were before he arrived.

Not often I agree with you but I'm 100% with you on this.

Not often you agree with me !!!!!

• "....most of the time is sober "

You know me so well, sam !

• I know very few probably care, and I'm not trying to cause trouble ( don't use my phone much for reading Charlton life as the print is too small, but this thread was open from Jan) but what is Big Bob up to these days? Is he recycled in the network somewhere?
  • I know very few probably care, and I'm not trying to cause trouble ( don't use my phone much for reading Charlton life as the print is too small, but this thread was open from Jan) but what is Big Bob up to these days? Is he recycled in the network somewhere?

My guess is he's back to doing his silly comedy routine on the Belgian version of soccer am, like a euro-fenners........
  • Nope, all quiet on the Peeters front, even in Belgium. I don't think he'll ever want to work for RD again.
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess you could say he Petered out...
  • skywalker said:

Nope, all quiet on the Peeters front, even in Belgium. I don't think he'll ever want to work for RD again.

In an interview with the SLP I think it was , he said he expected to work for the network again somewhere in the future
  • That's 'South London Press' for the uninitiated.
  • Still feel a bit bad for the guy and the way he left. Even after getting sacked, he said he wished he could have stayed and for his faults, you couldn't question his passion. Not the best manager we've had, not by a long chalk but equally, certainly not the most unlikeable.
  • Rob said:

That's 'South London Press' for the uninitiated.

Not the Standard Liege Paper then?
  • The problem with the way that Bob Peeters played was, you need very good passes of the ball, and take the few chances that come your way.
    It was too slow and after 6 matches or so we were found out by the other coaches.
    The fact is, we were the last team to lose. but as we have 3 point for a win it was always less important than years ago, when only 2 point were on offer for a win.
  • The problem with BP was ... he didn't have a 2nd quality striker.
  • thenewbie said:

If Bikey and/or Vetokele hadn't fluffed excellent chances, we'd be two to three points better off already, that's just in the last few weeks, if Noel Hunt hadn't scored a belter against us in added time that would be one more point - that's conceivably five points we have missed out on in this one month. Not that I am making excuses for Bob with that, we shouldn't be needing to leave it to the ninety-whatever minute to score a winning goal (or to score any goal actually) but it shows there are very fine margins.

I am leery of laying too much blame on Peeters, I have maintained that the whole season has been a case of strong team, weak squad and now that the season is dragging on that is becoming increasingly more apparent. Bob's been more hit than miss with the signings bought in so far (whoever identified them first) so I guess he has earned at least a chance in the sales.

It's time for RD to show his cards, and even to a lesser extent perhaps Meire also - it's no secret we need reinforcing, Bob has been pretty clear for a while now that he needs more bodies. KM has talked the talk, now to walk the walk and show she isn't merely a spokeswoman I would say.

add George against Millwall into that too. BUT we gained points earlier in the season against say Wigan near the death so it's swings and roundabouts. We are where we are, that's the bottom line.
    Cos Large Addick says so.

• Pretty sure KM said he won't be popping in the network again.
  • Propping up the bar probably..