Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who throws away food ?

This came up in the household budget thread & I thought it deserved it's own thread. Just call me Paulie :-)

I don't understand this "throwing away unused food". If you have a big enough fridge & a big enough freezer, there should be virtually no need to throw away any food ? We never throw away unused food.

Comments

• Options
    Do you mean just food you haven't used, or food you can't finish on your plate?
  • Options
    Food you haven't used.
  • Options
    That's good, I was getting worried otherwise. We try not to throw anything away but we don't always find it easy due to time (both working full time and having a 5 year old), we do freeze stuff when we make large portions of a meal like Spag Bol etc and it it a god send when we're hungry and want something quick and easy to eat.
  • Options
    We have three cats that are happy to clean up if we're full up
  • Options
    We try to freeze meat etc if know not getting used before out of date but other stuff just gets thrown.
  • Options
    I havent got space for a proper freezer. If food can walk to the bin unaided it goes out.
  • Options
    We'll be throwing away loads of cheese left over after christmas as I am on a cheese free month in january, and sometimes the veggies go manc before we get to them.
  • Options
    £1 Iceland frozen mills are indestructible.
  • Options
    Am throwing away a lot less now that a new Sainsburys local has opened near the end of my road.. Before it was the weekly 'big shop' where I guesstimated what we'd eat in the week and end up throwing far too much away when it wasn't used and had gone out of date/off...now I tend to buy what we need, when we need it, so less waste..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we throw some stuff away, I'm unhappy to say, mainly because my mother in law is partially sighted/forgetful and food that has been bought specifically because she wanted it goes out of date and has to be binned. not a lot but still more than I'm happy with.
  • Options
    In my youth we had no sell or use by dates. We were poor so we used to eat everything we were given because we were hungry. I will not allow food to be thrown away. Like at Christmas if we have cooked too much it will be kept in the fridge to be eaten at another time.
  • Options
    Plan you meals for the week and then there shouldn't be much to throw away.
    Putting food in the bin is the same as emptying your wallet into it.
  • Options
    we bin far too much food and we know we do, we (well my wife mainly) literally makes all meals from scratch so we don't really eat microwave/pre-cooked dinners. We always make more and freeze portions for us and kids for days when we are busy.

Inevitably though, food does get unused in our fridge and go off, we try to be as careful as possible though - I hate throwing food away

since we bought one of those massive American style fridge freezers it always seems to be full up!
  • Options

blinding idea, now why didn't we think of that ;-)

• Options
    I rarely throw food away. Meat gets frozen and really the only stuff in my fridge is milk, veg (which is probably the only thing I do throw away if it hasn't been used) and anything defrosting from the night before. The benefits of living on your own. That and sitting around in your boxers and having a number 2 with the toilet door open.
  • Options

we throw some stuff away, I'm unhappy to say, mainly because my mother in law is partially sighted/forgetful and food that has been bought specifically because she wanted it goes out of date and has to be binned. not a lot but still more than I'm happy with.

That made me laugh, what with your username.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    colthe3rd said:

I rarely throw food away. Meat gets frozen and really the only stuff in my fridge is milk, veg (which is probably the only thing I do throw away if it hasn't been used) and anything defrosting from the night before. The benefits of living on your own. That and sitting around in your boxers and having a number 2 with the toilet door open.

After having strategically lined the TV up within clear sight of the crapper of course!
  • Options

This came up in the household budget thread & I thought it deserved it's own thread. Just call me Paulie :-)

I don't understand this "throwing away unused food". If you have a big enough fridge & a big enough freezer, there should be virtually no need to throw away any food ? We never throw away unused food.

The problem I soon discovered after moving out was that it isn't throwing the food away that's a problem, it's buying it in the first place. Keeping old food in the freezer to avoid throwing it out, even if it means it stays there for a year, is needless. throw it away and be done with it; just learn and not buy so much of it again!
  • Options
    Throw less away now.
    Got into the habit of any veg left at the end of the week would either be made into bubble and squeak then frozen or adding spices, chillie and coconut milk then frozen and used as a side dish when we have curries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

After having strategically lined the TV up within clear sight of the crapper of course!
    Unfortunately I can't see my living room from the toilet, I have on occasion turned the volume up enough to hear it though.
  • Options
    Just jettisoned a couple of frozen pies, a frozen fish and half a bag of peas. I would eat it, but the wife is paranoid about use by dates. Annoying, but easier than arguing about it.
  • Options
    My wife does this great thing with left overs

She throws them away.
  • Options
    It's salad stuff that seems to get jettisoned mostly in my house. Goes off fairly quickly and often before I either can or want to consume it. Can't be frozen. Bin it.
  • Options
    And remember folks, a full freezer uses less electric than an empty one..........
  • Options

Just jettisoned a couple of frozen pies, a frozen fish and half a bag of peas. I would eat it, but the wife is paranoid about use by dates. Annoying, but easier than arguing about it.

Jettisoned? More toilet talk?
  • Options
    Throw very little away. Make and freeze stock from eg chicken carcass for casseroles; breadcrumbs from bread thats past it for sandwiches etc, blanch and freeze veg if necessary again for casseroles.
  • Options

blinding idea, now why didn't we think of that ;-)

The simple ideas are always the best;-)

(sometimes I do have a tendency to state the bloody obvious)
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Jettisoned? More toilet talk?
    Gone over me head, that one...
  • Options

Throw very little away. Make and freeze stock from eg chicken carcass for casseroles; breadcrumbs from bread thats past it for sandwiches etc, blanch and freeze veg if necessary again for casseroles.

You put breadcrumbs in sandwiches ?