Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who throws away food ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oggy Red said:

smiffyboy said:

Go sainsburys once a week and spend about £150 and reckon I chuck away £30 a week in uneaten food

That's around £1,500 you throw away each year .... ?

So you need to earn £2k before tax. What's that, a months work ? Not having a dig at smiffyboy btw.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Oggy Red said:

Many food items are perfectly safe to eat for some days after the 'sell by date' - that's just the date the store must sell the item by.

Anyway, any odds and ends can always get used up in one go.
    That's why they invented stews and curry.

I tried that with some hummous recently, 3 days out of date i think. AFter about an hour i realised that the eat by dates are there for a reason.
    No doubt with some quickly perishable foods.
    I mean, you wouldn't risk eating prawns 3 days out of date.

I bought a bag of potatoes today, with today's 'sell by date' - reduced by 40%.
    They're in perfect condition.

Being potatoes, they'll be good to use for a while yet.
    And I get them for almost half price. Why pay more?

Loads of other 'out of date' foods stay usable for days.

Many other tinned and packet foods have a month and year sell by date stamped on them.
    That always refers to the last day of the month - and you can be sure they'll still be fine to use for a short period after.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I rarely throw food away. Meat gets frozen and really the only stuff in my fridge is milk, veg (which is probably the only thing I do throw away if it hasn't been used) and anything defrosting from the night before. The benefits of living on your own. That and sitting around in your boxers and having a number 2 with the toilet door open.

After having strategically lined the TV up within clear sight of the crapper of course!
    Unfortunately I can't see my living room from the toilet
    A number of strategically placed mirrors should sort that problem
  • Options

Unfortunately I can't see my living room from the toilet

A number of strategically placed mirrors should sort that problem
    </blockquote

Thanks mister partridge.
  • Options
    this thread deserves a reprise .. read this BBC article .. ridiculous, wasteful and surely not economically viable:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34647454
  • Options

And remember folks, a full freezer uses less electric than an empty one..........

But you wouldn't switch on an empty one........?
  • Options

if it smells ok and tastes ok, then it's ok.

Excellent I'll use that excuse to refuse to eat spinach ever again.

• Options
    Mrs. Dave is a "Sell by date" Taliban we constantly argue over food she wants to throw away which is perfectly fine to eat. My opinion is that most of these dates are there to protect the food retailer and manufacturer from litigation and bears no resemblance to reality. The last time I got food poisoning was from a piece of Chicken we had bought and cooked the same day.

The other big issue I have is nut allergy information. My granddaughter has a nut allergy hence when she is staying with us we check carefully what food contains nuts. What you see on EVERY biscuit and cake wrapper is "Nuts may have been used on the process" this again is to cover arses and not give people proper information after all the food either contains nuts or it doesn't. Drives me NUTS!!!
  • Options
    Me and Mrs FA to be used to shop in-store @ Asda, used to be around £80 per week with a bit of waste, instead we now do the Click and Collect where we go to the relevant point at the store (You select your time and date) and we're now paying about £30-40 per month
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be about a food based protest against RD and KM at the Wednesday game...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought this was going to be about a food based protest against RD and KM at the Wednesday game...

they might act like a coupla turnips .. but the BBC article is about REAL turnips
  • Options
    Everything get's eaten - we don't have ready meals, and everything is cooked from scratch...larger meals get portioned and frozen. I've got a nutra-bullet , so any fruit and veg that's left over & hasn't been cooked will end up in that for breakfast.
  • Options
    No processed frozen food? Are you from a time that Iceland forgot?

Took me 6 months to work out it was the microwave making the "bing" noise and not the God of ready meals blessing the steaming carton of gloop set before me!
  • Options
    This came up in the household budget thread & I thought it deserved it's own thread. Just call me Paulie :-) I don't understand this "throwing away unused food". If you have a big enough fridge & a big enough freezer, there should be virtually no need to throw away any food ? We never throw away unused food.

There was a household budget thread?
  • Options
    I had sealled bags of nuts in the cupboard for two years. Brazil, Walnuts and Macadamia, all tasted like soapy gas. 
  • Options
    My mate had a pickled egg from behind the bar of the Raglan in Burrage Rd it was rank, 
    when he asked what was the date was on the jar, Best before June 99 was the reply, it was consumed only 1 yr short of its 10th birthday.
    There's a pub in Hackney, the Cock Inn or something. They have a top ten for the quickest time it takes to eat a pickled egg. Dianne Abbott was in the top ten for ages.
    Totally unrelated to the thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I had sealled bags of nuts in the cupboard for two years. Brazil, Walnuts and Macadamia, all tasted like soapy gas. 
    You ate them all?
  • Options
    Me and my wife both work hard and are in a position we don't struggle to feed ourselves. I've always played fast and loose with best before dates. What does wind me up is how quickly fresh fruit and vegetables goes bad from some shops. Asda and Aldi are particularly bad at this. So it gets returned to the earth where is shall feed my plants and hopefully this years sensimilia. Much better than the dried horse shit I've been using 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Me and my wife both work hard and are in a position we don't struggle to feed ourselves. I've always played fast and loose with best before dates. What does wind me up is how quickly fresh fruit and vegetables goes bad from some shops. Asda and Aldi are particularly bad at this. So it gets returned to the earth where is shall feed my plants and hopefully this years sensimilia. Much better than the dried horse shit I've been using 
    I’m not surprised the sensimilia is better than horse shit mate. 
  • Options
    It is quite a good idea to only get what you’re going to eat or drink.
    All of us waste a bit, but waste food can be reduced.
    There is something disturbing about waste food in a hungry world with food banks.
  • Options
    My wife almost always makes way too much food for the people that are supposed to be eating it. It's effing criminal the amount of food we end up throwing away. As I'm always the one who clears up after meals, the amount of food I scrape into the bin really annoys me. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    My wife refuses to throw any food away which is admirable, even when it's gone mouldy she can't bring herself to do it. 

The point I wish to land with her is that the crime isn't throwing it away - the world doesn't give a fuck if we ate it or not. The issue is that we bought it in the first place and didn't need it, or bought something else when we already had something to eat. 
    Food waste is a big bug bear of mine and my wife and I have developed a pretty good system of meal planning, meal prep, organised labelling in the fridge and freezer so a cursory look when doing the weekly shop can tell you exactly what you have and how much. We also have a good system of rotation in cupboards where new food is put at the back so we make sure we are always using the oldest version and nothing is allowed to get too old. It took a bit to set up but now the weekly shop is so easy and it saves us money. We simply buy what we need for the meals we have planned for that week, plus a few staples and replace any cupboard bits that we finished that week. Its so easy. Get very frustrated when I go to my parents and in laws houses and it seems they haven't adapted to all their kids leaving home, still do massive weekly shops without planning what they are gonna do with them, have fridges and cupboards so over-full they cant keep track of what they have so end up buying so much more and wasting it all. 

One thing that is missed in this and goes against what was drilled into many of us as kids is that eating something you don't actually need i.e. you must clear your plate is as much of a waste as throwing it out. and can do a lot of serious health damage long term. The bigger waste is putting it on your plate in the first place. Its taken me a while to be able to listen to my body and stop when comfortable.
  • Options
    Seeing how fat we are as a nation i am surprised any food gets binned.
  • Options
    We’ve managed to reduce our food wastage to nearly 0.

As mentioned above we do a weekly meal plan and then we order on click and collect. No wandering around the markets and supermarkets and picking up random things we don’t need and won’t eat!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Has that Jones lad been farting in your mouth again?