Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who throws away food ?

Comments

• Options

Just jettisoned a couple of frozen pies, a frozen fish and half a bag of peas. I would eat it, but the wife is paranoid about use by dates. Annoying, but easier than arguing about it.

Never done that in my life.
  • Options

Just jettisoned a couple of frozen pies, a frozen fish and half a bag of peas. I would eat it, but the wife is paranoid about use by dates. Annoying, but easier than arguing about it.

Frozen a pie?
  • Options
    Reminds me of a row I had with the my mrs who is a vegetarian.

The only things that get turfed out are vegetables, she will buy vegetables she will never use.....ever had a good old row over someone buying a leek? I have. I won the argument 3 weeks later when it was there looking disgusting in the bottom drawer.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    colthe3rd said:

Frozen a pie?
    I know that you know. But I meant we've never thrown away frozen pies, fish or peas. They can last over a year and are still fine. Assuming they were frozen to begin with.

If it smells fine & tastes fine, then it is. (I'm not talking about things like cooked chicken that has been left out too long for bacteria to develop on it.)
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Frozen a pie?
    I know that you know. But I meant we've never thrown away frozen pies, fish or peas. They can last over a year and are still fine. Assuming they were frozen to begin with.

If it smells fine & tastes fine, then it is. (I'm not talking about things like cooked chicken that has been left out too long for bacteria to develop on it.)
    I'm not disagreeing mate. You can pop over and argue with the missus if you want... :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    When I was a lad you finished the food on your plate or you got it back for your next meal.

Whether it is unique to modern girls (I only have daughters) I am unsure but these days it seems almost de rigeur to leave at least half a plate of uneaten food.

I think the waste is shameful personally but nobody listens strangely.

EDIT: Misread nature of thread!

We throw away as little as possible. My wife goes mad on salad stuff and as she is pretty much the only one to eat it some of that gets thrown sometimes.
  • Options
    The best solution if you find you're chucking away soggy veg/salad/rice/pasta is to keep a chicken or two. They devour it like locusts !

And as a reward , you get to eat loads of lovely eggs.

Chickens & huge compost heap recycle all our edible rubbish but we throw very little away these days.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Throw very little away. Make and freeze stock from eg chicken carcass for casseroles; breadcrumbs from bread thats past it for sandwiches etc, blanch and freeze veg if necessary again for casseroles.

You put breadcrumbs in sandwiches ?
    No ...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

When I was a lad you finished the food on your plate or you got it back for your next meal.

Whether it is unique to modern girls (I only have daughters) I am unsure but these days it seems almost de rigeur to leave at least half a plate of uneaten food.

Wouldn't the simple solution be to give them half the amount of food in the first place? Saying that, if they're anything like my kids, they'd then say they're still hungry and raid the biscuit barrel.

Teenage logic..............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The best solution if you find you're chucking away soggy veg/salad/rice/pasta is to keep a chicken or two. They devour it like locusts !

Chickens & huge compost heap recycle all our edible rubbish but we throw very little away these days.

Chickens ? How many do you have ? Aren't they terrified by foxes ?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Wouldn't the simple solution be to give them half the amount of food in the first place? Saying that, if they're anything like my kids, they'd then say they're still hungry and raid the biscuit barrel.

Teenage logic..............
    Tried that.

Same with the half a cup of tea they always leave. They just leave "half of the half."
  • Options

Chickens? Pah, my ducks would 'ave em.
  • Options
    We put any left over food straight into the joint bank account
  • Options
    Always tend to buy enough for the week. Hate throwing away food. Hate the supermarkets putting out the offers encouraging us to overeat. Come Friday, my fridge is generally empty so that's takeaway night.
  • Options
    To avoid as much waste as poss we shop more often. A bit of a pest at times but worth it. Plus we have a dog that will eat most foods so very little goes to waste.
  • Options

Well we started with 6 around 5 years ago , now down to 1.

4 just sickened & fell off their perch over that period whilst the 5th was sadly attacked by Mr Tod and that was that.

Mr F's fault for leaving them to roam free in the garden ( which he did when he was gardening there) but forgot to put them back in their run when he came in for a cuppa.

Thought "Millie" would pine for company but she seems quite happy on her own, "ruling the roost" ....

• Options
    We regularly put slightly green bread out for the birds and the odd vegetable on the compost but little else gets thrown away.
  • Options

.....whilst the 5th was sadly attacked by Mr Tod....

Mr Carty is a git
  • Options

Many food items are perfectly safe to eat for some days after the 'sell by date' - that's just the date the store must sell the item by.

Anyway, any odds and ends can always get used up in one go.
    That's why they invented stews and curry.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Reminds me of a row I had with the my mrs who is a vegetarian.

The only things that get turfed out are vegetables, she will buy vegetables she will never use.....ever had a good old row over someone buying a leek? I have. I won the argument 3 weeks later when it was there looking disgusting in the bottom drawer.

I've had a row with the Mrs over a leek she's Welsh
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

We'll be throwing away loads of cheese left over after christmas as I am on a cheese free month in january, and sometimes the veggies go manc before we get to them.

Portion it into smaller sizes and freeze it

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Many food items are perfectly safe to eat for some days after the 'sell by date' - that's just the date the store must sell the item by.

I tried that with some hummous recently, 3 days out of date i think. AFter about an hour i realised that the eat by dates are there for a reason.
  • Options
    There is a difference between Best Before dates and Use By dates.
  • Options
    I am afraid that Mrs Dave is totally conned by "Use by" dates hence we have endless arguments about food that is 1 or 2 days out of date. I have yet to be ill eating anything a few days out of date but she just won't buy it.

Probably the biggest con of all time on the part of the food industry kidding people to throw away perfectly good food.
  • Options
    The food experts say, re use by dates, if it smells ok and tastes ok, then it's ok.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

And pies
  • Options
    Go sainsburys once a week and spend about £150 and reckon I chuck away £30 a week in uneaten food
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

There is a difference between Best Before dates and Use By dates.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

Go sainsburys once a week and spend about £150 and reckon I chuck away £30 a week in uneaten food

That's around £1,500 you throw away each year .... ?