Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marc-Antoine Fortune linked

124»

Comments

• Options

"So you would play all three then? What you are saying is that a deep lying midfield 4 were playing the ball up to the front men and not getting forward to support them quickly. That would be a long ball otherwise they would not be so detached. I didn't think we were attempting a long ball game under Peeters. Is it really all about a lack of a hold up man or how we approach build up play?

Why not try passing with movement as a way of getting the ball forward? Oh and here's a radical idea, let's try shooting at the goal when we get the opportunity.
    "

Missing the point. I am simply questioning why trying to plug the gap that Church hasn't plugged since Yann left is seen as such a stupid idea. Argue for a different player for a different position if that's the gripe, but no point in rubbishing a player for no good reason. Would Peteers have pushed Bikey up front for the last ten minutes when desperate if he had a proper front man to play.
  • Options
    I tend to believe that RD listens to people he trusts (Luzon, Duhan, Fraeye) and not to those he doesn't (Powell).

That's one point of view Henry, the other one is that he only listens to himself. In my view, Powell left because he wanted to have at least some opportunity to make decisions, and that is also the reason why Curbishley did not come here.
  • Options
    Don't know if there's any truth in this rumour, but he ticks the boxes for a hold-up front man.

I'm not exactly doing cartwheels at the thought of this, but this is coming from someone who was underwhelmed when we signed Mendonca (and I was a lot more enthusiastic 20 years ago).

I've learned over time to judge players on how they perform for us..........
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    imageimage
  • Options

Don't know if there's any truth in this rumour, but he ticks the boxes for a hold-up front man.

I'm not exactly doing cartwheels at the thought of this, but this is coming from someone who was underwhelmed when we signed Mendonca (and I was a lot more enthusiastic 20 years ago).

I was extremely happy when we signed Clive, a fairer comparison might be to Deon Burton, who didn't help us avoid relegation, but was an excellent hold up striker in L1...
  • Options
    Feels like the sort of player Doncaster would sign. Or Oldham.
    All a bit 'meh' - much like the state of our club at the moment.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Feels like the sort of player Doncaster would sign. Or Oldham.
    All a bit 'meh' - much like the state of our club at the moment.

If he ends up in their reserves we're sure to get him in the close season then because the precedent has already been set. :-0
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I was extremely happy when we signed Clive, a fairer comparison might be to Deon Burton, who didn't help us avoid relegation, but was an excellent hold up striker in L1...
    Exactly. And with better players, Deon Burton would have been fine for us in The Championship too. Carl Leaburn was another who didn't get so many goals but provide the link and took pressure off his strike partners.
  • Options

True, but I didn't mean it as a player style comparison, just that I wasn't exactly over the moon at the time........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

imageimage

I love seeing that picture of Super Clive.
  • Options
    There is so much doom and gloom and conspiracy theories. Seriously guys !! Give RD and especially Luzon a chance. In my eyes, the only mistakes RD has done to date are sell; Kermogant and allow Riga to go. He invested money in the pitch, whether that was funded by the YK sale is immaterial. He has also brought in some quality players such as Igor, TBH and JBG.

He has a network of players thru his interests in teams, why wouldn't any businessman use those assets first ?? Chill guys !!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

imageimage

In days like these, when you see that picture of Mendonca, it's like being reminded of one of the best night's of your life, or the fittest bird you've ever had....
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Spanish said:

There is so much doom and gloom and conspiracy theories. Seriously guys !! Give RD and especially Luzon a chance. In my eyes, the only mistakes RD has done to date are sell; Kermogant and allow Riga to go. He invested money in the pitch, whether that was funded by the YK sale is immaterial. He has also brought in some quality players such as Igor, TBH and JBG.

He has a network of players thru his interests in teams, why wouldn't any businessman use those assets first ?? Chill guys !!

1) We've given him plenty of 'chances', he's blown them all like he couldn't give a monkeys (because sadly it isn't for us to give him chances)

2) Apart from his only mistakes of selling (you seem to have omitted the numerous other players that have left because of him, Hamer, Stephens, Dervite, Morrison, Poyet) I can think off the top of my head of the following mistakes:

Reza
    Nego
    Thuram
    Parzysek
    Koc
    Moussa
    Bulot
    Tucudean
    Peeters

Even a Dowie and Pardew double-act unleashed with the proceeds of an Ocean's Eleven style heist on the Bellagio couldn't top that impressive tally of mistakes in such a short time.
    Frank Moussa was not from the network though and was brilliant for Coventry City and showed some promise in this attacking ability but took to many touches for the championship! But could have good times at Charlton
  • Options

Spanish said:

1) We've given him plenty of 'chances', he's blown them all like he couldn't give a monkeys (because sadly it isn't for us to give him chances)

2) Apart from his only mistakes of selling (you seem to have omitted the numerous other players that have left because of him, Hamer, Stephens, Dervite, Morrison, Poyet) I can think off the top of my head of the following mistakes:

Reza
    Nego
    Thuram
    Parzysek
    Koc
    Moussa
    Bulot
    Tucudean
    Peeters

Even a Dowie and Pardew double-act unleashed with the proceeds of an Ocean's Eleven style heist on the Bellagio couldn't top that impressive tally of mistakes in such a short time.
    So fed up of comments like this now.

Why don't you just go away and support Chelsea of Manchester City, where mistakes made in signing can be neatly hidden in their owners deep pockets?

Charlton till I die!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Spanish said:

Reza
    Nego
    Thuram
    Parzysek
    Koc
    Moussa
    Bulot
    Tucudean
    Peeters

Why don't you just go away and support Chelsea of Manchester City, where mistakes made in signing can be neatly hidden in their owners deep pockets?

You mean a bit like Charlton under Roland?
  • Options
    Weren't she married to Louis XVI?
  • Options
    I'm not sure he can be blamed for Hamer, Stephens or Poyet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not sure he can be blamed for Hamer, Stephens or Poyet.

Exactly. Wasn't Poyet held back from first team appearances because of an add on to his contract meaning we would have to pay him more ?? Hamer, likewise was allowed his contract to run below 12 months. All this happened under our previous owners. This really is quite boring the constant blaming of RD and creative conspiracy theories.

We're not changing our strip to Blue nor are we trying to change our club name. We haven't got a Roman but we have seen someone who is prepared to take a gamble and try and improve our club. We've already seen a dreadful pitch be invested in. Our squad is a work in progress as is our new manager. For me, we need to see out the transfer window and see where we are then. For now, most of you should avoid sharp objects. Anyway, back to the great start to Englands innings !!
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Better than the Tuc.

So am I.

So am I mate.
  • Options

Ridiculous. So a year ago he sells Kermogant for a couple of hundred grand cos he's ageing and now we're thinking of signing this guy?

He might be alright despite his abysmal goal record, and I obviously hope to god he does well - but if he is why is available from a side in the relegation zone?

That Belgian plonker makes no sense.

I try not to get involved with the whole Kermorgant love in (I just can't admit to myself that I wish I was married to him!!) but you at so right. It's pretty laughable really.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @Bryan_Kynsie‌
    "Why not try passing with movement as a way of getting the ball forward? Oh and here's a radical idea, let's try shooting at the goal when we get the opportunity. "

Agree. If you watch our build up play, it's so predictable. There isn't any fluid movement IMO. No interchanging of positions. Just rigid 4 in midfield, the two CMs barely break a sweat to reach the other teams box!

We can sign strikers all day long, but until you have a player in the middle who has vision, and passes forwards, into gaps, and not side ways or backwards, we will continue to be stifled by opposition, who find us easy to defend against.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

imageimage

Still think they could've given him a shirt that fitted him.
  • Options

That's it though Henry. Everything's so reactive. He dumped a load of players on Powell and sacked him presumably because he couldn't make it work with them, then went out in the summer and signed the sort of players (vetokele and gudmundsson) that Powell had been telling him we desperately needed. Then he dumped a load more on peeters, sacked him cos he wasn't doing the job with them; and a week later is going out to try quick fixes for the problems that peeters had identified.

I know there are other factors / variables, but his strategies are ludicrous and make no sense. Everything he does just seems to me to underline what a pig-headed arrogant **** he is.

When you analyse his strategy the only regular first teamers left from when he took over, just 12 months ago, are:

Church (rightly desperately trying to offload but would be a free anyway)
    Cousins (if a suitable offer came in he would sell)
    Harriott (see Cousins but any fee would be nominal)
    Jackson (too old to get anything for)
    Solly (knees probably wouldn't pass a medical)
    Wiggins (history of injuries off putting to potential buyers)
    Wilson (see Harriott but any fee would be nominal)

He has, during his ownership, brought in either on loan or by buying:

Nego
    Reza
    Parysczek
    Ansah
    Vetokele
    Bikey
    Munns
    Buyens
    Moussa
    Ben-Haim
    Bulot
    Gudmundsson
    Coquelin
    Onyewu
    Tucudean
    Henderson
    Etheridge
    Dmitrovic
    Watt
    Veljkovic

And sent out on loan or sold:

Smith
    Stephens
    Kermogant
    Alnwick
    Hamer
    Hollands
    Gower
    Green
    Dervite
    Feely
    Wood
    Azeez
    Cook
    Poyet
    Pritchard
    Hughes
    Evina
    Morrison
    Pigott
    Pope
    Tucudean

Buy, buy, buy........sell, sell, sell. It's almost as if everything is a commodity to him. That's no recipe for stability.

And neither is having four managers in 12 months especially as players do move because of the manager and this can be the clincher as to how well or badly they perform.

Another stick to beat RD with that I don't understand.

Leyton Orient have had 4 managers, this season! I know a few Orient season ticket holders, and they're not slitting their wrists.

Or, you could give up supporting Charlton, and begin following a more stable club.

Like Leeds, for instance...
    Now Orient are sitting second bottom and staring the joys of League 2 in the face rather than dreaming of the prospect of the Championship as they were last season, are the Orient season ticket holders now frantically trying to book one way trips to Switzerland?

Or, are they ecstatic that the opposition on Saturday, in the words of their current manager, "showed more hunger and desire than us".

Because when that starts happening one or two things rather predictable follow - a change of manager and/or relegation. And not necessarily in that order.