Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SE18: Impressions of a London Suburb (1964)

Comments

• Options
    Really enjoyed watching that. Especially the early frames of the match at the Valley. That Charlton strip is still my all time favourite as it is the kit they wore when I first went to see them play.

I am guessing they are playing Wolves in that game.

It really struck me how well dressed everyone was at the match. And such good quality shoes! No jeans and white trainers. I was really surprised at how many women it showed attending the game. And where are all the fat people? I suppose it was before the first UK McDonalds opened in Woolwich.

But isn't there a massive error in the commentary in that it seems to suggest that the crowd were at an Arsenal game?
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited April 2015
    OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street
    25.35 - Bottom of Wickham Lane, Plumstead Corner
    27.21 - 27.51 looks like Hare St
    30.12 onwards - pulling away from Town Hall, Market Street and pulls into Calderwood Street up to John Wilson Street before Ferry approach built.
    31.19 - Glyndon Estate, Ann Street by the looks of it
    31.20 - Churchill House, Woolwich
    31.34 Onwards - Winns Common/Grosmount Road - Rockmount estate
    35.21 - Granada Bingo - end of Powis Street
  • Options
    What a fantastic vid, loved it, I worked in the covered market for "Rays" baby clothes Friday night and all day saturday then worked for "Jack" he was the caretaker sweeper upper, helping him to clean up after the stall holders had left I was arround 14 so about 1958, used to get ten bob of of Ray and five bob of of Jack, most of the stall owners were Jewish, so wages were prety low but actually liked it.. and the Mortar I actually remembered some of the faces, that women with the funny smile lived four doors from me. I worked for Woolwich council from 1964 as a dustman and then when I was 21 a Driver, which I stayed for 42 years,loved all the old faces and the valley all ways imprinted on my mind from the first time I ever went arround 1954..Happy days
  • Options
    fenny said:

What a fantastic vid, loved it, I worked in the covered market for "Rays" baby clothes Friday night and all day saturday then worked for "Jack" he was the caretaker sweeper upper, helping him to clean up after the stall holders had left I was arround 14 so about 1958, used to get ten bob of of Ray and five bob of of Jack, most of the stall owners were Jewish, so wages were prety low but actually liked it.. and the Mortar I actually remembered some of the faces, that women with the funny smile lived four doors from me. I worked for Woolwich council from 1964 as a dustman and then when I was 21 a Driver, which I stayed for 42 years,loved all the old faces and the valley all ways imprinted on my mind from the first time I ever went arround 1954..Happy days

Can't remember Ray but I think I remember Jack, was he a short fella and wore glasses. If so his grandson Tony worked for my father selling Lino from the stalls in the corner with Bella, Cilla and Hettie selling curtain fabrics one side and Tony Keane Cilla's husband selling watches the other.
  • Options

Can't wait to watch all of this. Just seen the early shots of The Valley - the unmistakeable features of Bill Punton of Norwich City nail this as 11 Apr 64 CAFC 3-1 NCFC att 14894 goalscorers Len Glover 5 and that man Keith Peacock 65 and 72.

Well done on this one. Great info - I'd been wondering, when I saw the film (some months after you - but it still seems worth saying).
  • Options
    Sevensix said:

Thanks for the film - it certainly brought back old times. The year of the film, 1964, marked the end of the Borough of Woolwich and its inclusion in the new London Borough of Greenwich. It was also the year I left home at the top of Shooters Hill and went off to university after spending a lot of time In and around the town centre including the upstairs reference department of Woolwich Library.

I think that was LCC Labour luminary Herbert Morrison talking in the film about all he had done for the 'burrow' of Woolwich.

So many images in the film sum up the changes that have taken place in my lifetime - the ethnic mix, and the view from Shrewsbury Park across the river to the Royal Docks with no high buildings in sight and all those wharves and ships on the river which you could watch from the ferry. Now they are all gone except for a few Thames Clippers.

And the shots in the covered market and around Beresford Square. I missed a lot of buses home distracted by the patter of the guys shown in the film setting up huge piles of biscuits, sweets and chocolates and selling them for very little - I suppose they were all way past what we would now call their sell-buy dates.

Scenes of the Arsenal in the film reminded me of two holiday jobs on the Christmas Post based at the PO in General Gordon Sq when I was assigned to a lorry which went into the Arsenal picking up parcels. That gave me a chance to satisfy my curiosity about what was behind those impenetrable walls stretching away on both sides of the Main Gate now marooned south of the new road. At that time the PO took on far too many people for the Christmas Post and there was nothing much for our lorry crew to do all day except explore all the cafes in Woolwich and Plumstead after we had done our few hours leisurely work.

Thanks, solved a couple of queries for me in cataloguing this film.
  • Options

Just watched the film...brought back so many memories I would have been 10 at the time....seeing Crown Woods my old school a year before I went there (I'm sure I remember some of that pottery!!), was that Dr Ross the old headmaster of Crown Woods doing a bit in the film? However most interesting to me were the pieces about The Royal Arsenal which is where my grandad (Bill) worked all his life and ended up Chief Toolmaker at the place, he was also Mayor of Greenwich (67/68) after Woolwich was merged into London Borough of Greenwich in April 65, yet he was inaugurated at Woolwich town hall having served as an Alderman and Councillor in Woolwich for 30 years. I remember meeting some of the politicians shown as they visited my grandad's house in New Eltham, a 2 up 2 down terraced house where 9 of us lived!! Thanks for posting this film, it brought back so many happy memories of my time going to Woolwich market, to The Valley with my dad, and to see the old Woolwich Power station in the background where my other grandad (Charlie) worked and then Charlie's mate who worked on the ferry and allowed Charlie and I to go on the 'bridge' with him - I can just about remember him. I'm going to show this film to my other half, and my brothers/sisters, all of who are much younger than me, it'll be interesting to see their reaction. Thanks again for the memories.

Thanks for helping me identify Mr M.K Ross (am cataloguing the film)
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

Can't wait to watch all of this. Just seen the early shots of The Valley - the unmistakeable features of Bill Punton of Norwich City nail this as 11 Apr 64 CAFC 3-1 NCFC att 14894 goalscorers Len Glover 5 and that man Keith Peacock 65 and 72.

Well done on this one. Great info - I'd been wondering, when I saw the film (some months after you - but it still seems worth saying).
    You're welcome ! Back then it was most unusual to see a bald player (oi, chrome dome !!) and Bill Punton was instantly recognisable whenever we played Norwich.

Good luck with the rest of the cataloguing.
  • Options

Really enjoyed watching that. Especially the early frames of the match at the Valley. That Charlton strip is still my all time favourite as it is the kit they wore when I first went to see them play.

I am guessing they are playing Wolves in that game.

It really struck me how well dressed everyone was at the match. And such good quality shoes! No jeans and white trainers. I was really surprised at how many women it showed attending the game. And where are all the fat people? I suppose it was before the first UK McDonalds opened in Woolwich.

But isn't there a massive error in the commentary in that it seems to suggest that the crowd were at an Arsenal game?

Norwich City League game of 11/4/64 (see "GlassHalfFull" above, & it all checks out perfectly). I think the commentary assumes that everyone knows this is Charlton (I mean, why wouldn't they?), the point being that the Woolwich supporters had all left Arsenal when they went north. Certainly my grandad made that leap to Charlton. But I agree the film doesn't make it very clear, & many have been confused. I think the filmmakers were keen to promote diversity wherever they found it - in that largely male crowd it is probably no co-incidence they chose some shots that included women (and even a rather camp looking man). But yes, women were there. You're very right on the clothing - & McD (lol)
  • Options
    BDL said:

Queen Mum was opening Coldharbour estate (I think) @ZoeR

Thanks, BDL. This was a real "Now it all makes sense" moment for me on that section. It looks like there was an RACS store on the Mound. I had been admiring their creativity in covering three separate locations in one small scene, but Occam's razor - the simplest explanation is often the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One of my abiding memories of the day the queen mother came to coldharbour apart from the good lady visiting our next door naighbours was an amusing incident involving a local character Terry.

Terry was a severely disabled wheelchair bound chap who lived on William Barefoot Drive.
    He spent his days sitting in his wheelchair outside his house engaging anyone who was prepared to engage him in conversation.
    I’m sure everyone who lived in the area knew Terry and if they had ten minutes to spare were happy to talk to Terry who had his own data base stored in his brain of the local community.
    On the day of the queen mothers visit to Coldharbour, as the ladies entourage passed Terry the queen mother stopped at Terry and asked “Have you had a good day”? Poor Terry who was never found wanting for a conversation was totally flummoxed.
    The queen mother smiled that sweet smile and her entourage moved on.
    Good days and good memories of Terry.

Great memories, John. And thanks for your contribution on the Coldharbour Estate - helped me find the spot quickly and easily.
  • Options
    Wow, such memories.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    BDL said:

OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street
    30.12 onwards - pulling away from Town Hall, Market Street and pulls into Calderwood Street up to John Wilson Street before Ferry approach built.

Thanks for all your efforts. Especially on Wickham lane and the Glyndon Estate - spot on & totally recognisable, once I knew where to look (Google Streetview is a wonderful thing). Calderwood Street - I think you're probably right. I guess it was the bit they tore down a couple of years later to build Sir Martin Bowes House. Still working on the rest....
  • Options
    Maybe I should have asked if anyone can recognise any of the market stalls featured in the film. It would be great if someone could find their grandfather's/grandmother's stall from the write-up or suchlike. I guess - being fairly new to this - I've mainly been thinking "What is that building?" rather than "Who is that person?", unless they are obviously a VIP.

One of my abiding memories of the day the queen mother came to coldharbour apart from the good lady visiting our next door naighbours was an amusing incident involving a local character Terry.

Terry was a severely disabled wheelchair bound chap who lived on William Barefoot Drive.
    He spent his days sitting in his wheelchair outside his house engaging anyone who was prepared to engage him in conversation.
    I’m sure everyone who lived in the area knew Terry and if they had ten minutes to spare were happy to talk to Terry who had his own data base stored in his brain of the local community.
    On the day of the queen mothers visit to Coldharbour, as the ladies entourage passed Terry the queen mother stopped at Terry and asked “Have you had a good day”? Poor Terry who was never found wanting for a conversation was totally flummoxed.

This is such a nice anecdote. Would you mind if I copied it into my Notes under the film, to keep it as part of the record?
  • Options
    Fantastic film. Is that John Cleese sitting behind the Queen Mum at the start ?
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

Maybe I should have asked if anyone can recognise any of the market stalls featured in the film. It would be great if someone could find their grandfather's/grandmother's stall from the write-up or suchlike. I guess - being fairly new to this - I've mainly been thinking "What is that building?" rather than "Who is that person?", unless they are obviously a VIP.

This is such a nice anecdote. Would you mind if I copied it into my Notes under the film, to keep it as part of the record?
    Yes please use it Zoe.

• Options
    ZoeR said:

Actually, I should probably have PM'd you (still getting the hang of this social media mularky. We're all very new to this). Am getting mixed messages from the proper staff at LSA on what they want to do about personal anecdotes etc. They may be going to introduce a whole new section on their website, and would then want to keep it distinct from the formal record. But they haven't really decided yet. (One person said, yes, great put things on; another, later, hang on a moment". Would still be useful in principle to know if you are happy for it to be passed on. There has been a lot of discussion on a Facebook group, "Eltham Friends of the 50s and 60s" about the Queen Mum's visit, and I know they'd love to hear it.
  • Options
    Oh no. I was trying to talk to JohnfromNorfolk, but I seem to have spoken to myself instead. Told you I was still getting the hang of social media.
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

Oh no. I was trying to talk to JohnfromNorfolk, but I seem to have spoken to myself instead. Told you I was still getting the hang of social media.

Don't worry Zoe. You will get the hang of it. What Facebook group are you referring to?
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

Great memories, John. And thanks for your contribution on the Coldharbour Estate - helped me find the spot quickly and easily.

ZoeR said:

Don't worry Zoe. You will get the hang of it. What Facebook group are you referring to?
    Enfield Friends of the 1950s and 1960s. Great group, have been very helpful. I think part of my problem with the tech is that I keep thinking I'm on FB, and doing things that way - but the results are a bit different on a Forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scratch that, JohnfromNorfolk. Done from memory.
    Eltham Friends of the 50s and 60s.
  • Options
    BDL said:

OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street

Whereabouts is Churchill House, BDL? I can't find it anywhere.
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

BDL said:

OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street

It's probably not called that anymore! On the corner of Thomas Street and Greens End, used to be office, now flats I believe.
  • Options
    BDL said:

OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street

31.19 definitely the bottom of Ann Street - I moved into a maisonette at the Brewery Road end in 1963 when they were first built.
  • Options
    BDL said:

OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street

I've found Churchill House, and I think you're right.
  • Options
    BDL said:

ZoeR said:

BDL said:

OK, best I can do is

7.34- 7.39 Powis Street

It's probably not called that anymore! On the corner of Thomas Street and Greens End, used to be office, now flats I believe.
    Now Maritime House. Above the Wimpy. Found it on an old photo - but not very obvious. Thanks for the lead, I don't think I'd have got that one otherwise.
  • Options

ZoeR said:

Yes please use it Zoe.

Passed it on to "Eltham Friends of the 50s & 60s", as you'd given me your blessing to use it. seemed right to link it up.
  • Options
    Nearly done now with my cataloguing, though I am still searching for that street with the grave (the only properly shown street that I've not yet been able to identify). I will put a link to my catalogue description on all the sites that have helped me out, once it is complete, checked, and on our main site - crediting you lot as valuable sources, of course - so you can see where the info went.
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

Nearly done now with my cataloguing, though I am still searching for that street with the grave (the only properly shown street that I've not yet been able to identify). I will put a link to my catalogue description on all the sites that have helped me out, once it is complete, checked, and on our main site - crediting you lot as valuable sources, of course - so you can see where the info went.

What time is that, will get my Dad to have a look. If anyone will know, he will.
  • Options
    BDL said:

ZoeR said:

What time is that, will get my Dad to have a look. If anyone will know, he will.
    27.52. Thanks, BDL.