Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SE18: Impressions of a London Suburb (1964)

124»

Comments

• Options
    ZoeR said:

6) Where was The Embers club (35.34)? .

Opposite the station In Vincent Road where Barclays now is.
  • Options

What a blast from the past!
    lot of things from those days that had a great effect on me.
    The demise of the Church, the rather middle class patronising social comments about the working class earlier, of pursing the products of post war years, have unfortunately proved correct. People did abandon Woolwich as a centre, in later years. They were also helped by the local council, as the end of the film mentions. I stopped going to Woolwich as a centre about 5 years after this film was made, because it held nothing for me. Look how busy the market was, look at the covered market and how it is today. This era was an immense opportunity to break the grey, rather drab post war years. Probably not different than a lot of towns in the mid 60s, trouble is Woolwich suffered more than most, and lost it's soul to me. It has taken a great amount of time to realise this, although jumping into bed with developers is not the only show in town, unless it is properly planned. Great bit of social history though.

I hope you don't mind if I use this for the London's Screen Archives catalogue of this film. We don't have a comments section at the moment, but I've been putting a few especially relevant comments on there.
  • Options
    msomerton said:

That wa ablast from the past, I remeberas a child working to Woolwich with mum go to the market and the big stores in Woolwich then.
    Funny thing was that 14 years after this film I had a part time job in the covered market working for Sadies. It seemed bloody buisy to me then, I then went tp Thames Poly to do a degree and spent most of my socia;l life then in Woolwich including the Tramshed. Suppose I am saying Woolwich did not die in the 70`s.

I hope it's ok if I quote this on the London's Screen Archives website catalogue for the film. We don't have a comments section there, so I'd like to capture some of the most relevant things people have said in my notes, for the record.
  • Options
    Actually, I should probably be PMing people about using their comments for the catalogue record. I'm still working out how to best do things on social media; and we're still working out what we can include online, so I may still get a decision that I can't use comments as I'd like to. Would love to make sure that some proper people's history stays online.
  • Options
    ZoeR said:

What a blast from the past!
    lot of things from those days that had a great effect on me.
    The demise of the Church, the rather middle class patronising social comments about the working class earlier, of pursing the products of post war years, have unfortunately proved correct. People did abandon Woolwich as a centre, in later years. They were also helped by the local council, as the end of the film mentions. I stopped going to Woolwich as a centre about 5 years after this film was made, because it held nothing for me. Look how busy the market was, look at the covered market and how it is today. This era was an immense opportunity to break the grey, rather drab post war years. Probably not different than a lot of towns in the mid 60s, trouble is Woolwich suffered more than most, and lost it's soul to me. It has taken a great amount of time to realise this, although jumping into bed with developers is not the only show in town, unless it is properly planned. Great bit of social history though.

I hope you don't mind if I use this for the London's Screen Archives catalogue of this film. We don't have a comments section at the moment, but I've been putting a few especially relevant comments on there.
    sure, good luck with the project
  • Options
    I promised to get back to you with the outcome of my cataloguing. It's taken a while - I've been waiting on a posting on another site, but it doesn't seem to be happening, so I'm declaring it done. With thanks for your many interesting comments & assistance (doesn't seem to come up as a link, so you'd have to copy & paste): http://www.londonsscreenarchives.org.uk/public/details.php?id=182&searchId=21268