Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Rotherham: Post Match Depression 2015

Comments

• I would deny anyone let alone Guy Luzon to pick a balanced team with all the players in their favoured positions from the current lot that are available.
  • sm said:

I would deny anyone let alone Guy Luzon to pick a balanced team with all the players in their favoured positions from the current lot that are available.

Dmitrovic

Solly TBH Bikey Wiggins

JBG Veljkovic Cousins Harriott

Watt Vetokele

Done, medal?
    Not a bad shout - worth a try and might give Buyens the kick up the pants he maybe needs to get him fired up again?

What happens when JJ returns?

Also, really see Gomez as a talent and he will need to be brought in soon or we'll lose him.
  • we have coach who does not know what he is doing jumping up and down in the technical area looking like mr bean we have no wide players and why is harriott playing up the midle when all his life he has played on the wing
  • Good points Midfield improved by better passing as there were some good through balls for the strikers (mainly vetokele) and also the goal came from cousins a midfielder; cousins himself had a very good game. Bad points the defence was too leaky and I could not figre out why as individually I think they all had a good game but collectively there were too many lucky escapes for us and dmitrovic played well in saving what he did save. The main bad point, sad to say, was vetokele and he works hard but is not strong or confident enough to play a fast simple game. His keeping of the ball was woeful and he must know this. To his credit he does not blame it on anyone else but he does go down far too easily whether because he is trying to get a free kick or whether he just is not strong enough or more importantly whether his injury has done some long lasting damage. There were far more chances to shoot yesterday and very few were taken. Its a shame as we all had our hopes pinned to him and it just is not working and he was rightly subbed (it was too churlish of the north stand to boo this decision but perhaps they had another agenda). Also Solly a meek and mild mannered person is no leader and should not be captain. Jackson is a leader and when on the pitch should be captain. I wonder if there are any other players there who could lead in Jacksons place. It obviously once again felt like a defeat but the margins between victory and a draw are not so great as to be depressing . Luzon will hopefully learn the the best form of defence is attack and in future keep Harriott on the pitch instead of putting in his place someone who had little confidence and who could neither win nor keep possession (lepoint). Still I remain optimistic that if Watt was to start it would be a better strikeforce and that he would not waste the chances given to vetokele.
  • Liking that post, bromleyjohn.
  • Like minds
  • Good points Midfield improved by better passing as there were some good through balls for the strikers (mainly vetokele) and also the goal came from cousins a midfielder; cousins himself had a very good game. Bad points the defence was too leaky and I could not figre out why as individually I think they all had a good game but collectively there were too many lucky escapes for us and dmitrovic played well in saving what he did save. The main bad point, sad to say, was vetokele and he works hard but is not strong or confident enough to play a fast simple game. His keeping of the ball was woeful and he must know this. To his credit he does not blame it on anyone else but he does go down far too easily whether because he is trying to get a free kick or whether he just is not strong enough or more importantly whether his injury has done some long lasting damage. There were far more chances to shoot yesterday and very few were taken. Its a shame as we all had our hopes pinned to him and it just is not working and he was rightly subbed (it was too churlish of the north stand to boo this decision but perhaps they had another agenda). Also Solly a meek and mild mannered person is no leader and should not be captain. Jackson is a leader and when on the pitch should be captain. I wonder if there are any other players there who could lead in Jacksons place. It obviously once again felt like a defeat but the margins between victory and a draw are not so great as to be depressing . Luzon will hopefully learn the the best form of defence is attack and in future keep Harriott on the pitch instead of putting in his place someone who had little confidence and who could neither win nor keep possession (lepoint). Still I remain optimistic that if Watt was to start it would be a better strikeforce and that he would not waste the chances given to vetokele.

In Jackson's absence, I'd have TBH as captain and let Solly concentrate on his own game. It might also bring the best out of TBH.
  • Harriott is shite simple .
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

Good points Midfield improved by better passing as there were some good through balls for the strikers (mainly vetokele) and also the goal came from cousins a midfielder; cousins himself had a very good game. Bad points the defence was too leaky and I could not figre out why as individually I think they all had a good game but collectively there were too many lucky escapes for us and dmitrovic played well in saving what he did save. The main bad point, sad to say, was vetokele and he works hard but is not strong or confident enough to play a fast simple game. His keeping of the ball was woeful and he must know this. To his credit he does not blame it on anyone else but he does go down far too easily whether because he is trying to get a free kick or whether he just is not strong enough or more importantly whether his injury has done some long lasting damage. There were far more chances to shoot yesterday and very few were taken. Its a shame as we all had our hopes pinned to him and it just is not working and he was rightly subbed (it was too churlish of the north stand to boo this decision but perhaps they had another agenda). Also Solly a meek and mild mannered person is no leader and should not be captain. Jackson is a leader and when on the pitch should be captain. I wonder if there are any other players there who could lead in Jacksons place. It obviously once again felt like a defeat but the margins between victory and a draw are not so great as to be depressing . Luzon will hopefully learn the the best form of defence is attack and in future keep Harriott on the pitch instead of putting in his place someone who had little confidence and who could neither win nor keep possession (lepoint). Still I remain optimistic that if Watt was to start it would be a better strikeforce and that he would not waste the chances given to vetokele.

In Jackson's absence, I'd have TBH as captain and let Solly concentrate on his own game. It might also bring the best out of TBH.
    Well, our 5'3 captain had no issues tearing Bikey a new one in the first half. Who wears the armband out there really is next to meaningless though. Because he doesn't have the armband TBH can't lead? Someone should have told Jorge Costa that.
  • edited February 2015

Veljkovic; does anyone else think that he was playing for himself and not the team? Every pass was completed to the nearest team mate. 'Got 100% pass completion, me' !

Passing to someone with the same colour shirt, that different !

Igor can't play as a lone Striker.

Tony Watt can't play as a lone striker.

I know this sounds crazy but how about playing them both from the start.
    The Rotherham game would have been ideal.

The players are so shackled by our last couple of coaches, that why people think they don't care.

• rikofold said:

Simonsen said:

Good points Midfield improved by better passing as there were some good through balls for the strikers (mainly vetokele) and also the goal came from cousins a midfielder; cousins himself had a very good game. Bad points the defence was too leaky and I could not figre out why as individually I think they all had a good game but collectively there were too many lucky escapes for us and dmitrovic played well in saving what he did save. The main bad point, sad to say, was vetokele and he works hard but is not strong or confident enough to play a fast simple game. His keeping of the ball was woeful and he must know this. To his credit he does not blame it on anyone else but he does go down far too easily whether because he is trying to get a free kick or whether he just is not strong enough or more importantly whether his injury has done some long lasting damage. There were far more chances to shoot yesterday and very few were taken. Its a shame as we all had our hopes pinned to him and it just is not working and he was rightly subbed (it was too churlish of the north stand to boo this decision but perhaps they had another agenda). Also Solly a meek and mild mannered person is no leader and should not be captain. Jackson is a leader and when on the pitch should be captain. I wonder if there are any other players there who could lead in Jacksons place. It obviously once again felt like a defeat but the margins between victory and a draw are not so great as to be depressing . Luzon will hopefully learn the the best form of defence is attack and in future keep Harriott on the pitch instead of putting in his place someone who had little confidence and who could neither win nor keep possession (lepoint). Still I remain optimistic that if Watt was to start it would be a better strikeforce and that he would not waste the chances given to vetokele.

Well, our 5'3 captain had no issues tearing Bikey a new one in the first half. Who wears the armband out there really is next to meaningless though. Because he doesn't have the armband TBH can't lead? Someone should have told Jorge Costa that.
    And Bikey really seemed to take the criticism well! Although I suspect that's a Bikey problem and he's be the same regardless of the captain.

Speaking of Andre, that shank on half time which went off for a corner as the red blew up was his best yet.
  • pickwick said:

Are you really sure of that? It is not what seemed to happen at the end of last season and under Peeters would he really have told him to play Solly in midfield.

Yes. Chris Powell could have done us a great service last year by disclosing the full details of what had gone with Duchatelet. For his own reasons he didn't and that at least allowed Jose Riga to steady the ship until more information eventually came into the public domain from Alex Dyer in the summer. I believe nearly every Charlton fan would have been alarmed by Duchatelet's behaviour last January-March if presented with it from an unimpeachable source - regardless of their views on Powell.

Riga was in a strong position to resist Duchatelet, given the situation, but appears to have paid the price. Peeters' published comments suggest that little has changed - I understand there was more that could not be printed for legal reasons.

I am not saying that Duchatelet sends the coach a team sheet or is responsible for every positional change, but his involvement has gone beyond asking questions in the way any reasonable owner might. It cannot work.

Someone behaving as he did towards Powell was not, in my view, going to behave appropriately and sensibly in the future. That was the basis of our concern last year - not that Powell had been sacked or Kermorgant sold, because unpopular decisions get made all the time, but that the owner was a risk to the future of the club. Now that has become transparent to more people, we have to decide what, if anything, we can do about it.
    In your view will Powell ever take the opportunity to put his side of the story in full? I personally believe Riga wasn't renewed simply because he too realised that the existing squad players were better than those being brought in. Luzon is there because he will do as he's told, in my view.
  • edited February 2015
    rikofold said:

pickwick said:

Are you really sure of that? It is not what seemed to happen at the end of last season and under Peeters would he really have told him to play Solly in midfield.

Yes. Chris Powell could have done us a great service last year by disclosing the full details of what had gone with Duchatelet. For his own reasons he didn't and that at least allowed Jose Riga to steady the ship until more information eventually came into the public domain from Alex Dyer in the summer. I believe nearly every Charlton fan would have been alarmed by Duchatelet's behaviour last January-March if presented with it from an unimpeachable source - regardless of their views on Powell.

Riga was in a strong position to resist Duchatelet, given the situation, but appears to have paid the price. Peeters' published comments suggest that little has changed - I understand there was more that could not be printed for legal reasons.

I am not saying that Duchatelet sends the coach a team sheet or is responsible for every positional change, but his involvement has gone beyond asking questions in the way any reasonable owner might. It cannot work.

Someone behaving as he did towards Powell was not, in my view, going to behave appropriately and sensibly in the future. That was the basis of our concern last year - not that Powell had been sacked or Kermorgant sold, because unpopular decisions get made all the time, but that the owner was a risk to the future of the club. Now that has become transparent to more people, we have to decide what, if anything, we can do about it.
    In your view will Powell ever take the opportunity to put his side of the story in full? I personally believe Riga wasn't renewed simply because he too realised that the existing squad players were better than those being brought in. Luzon is there because he will do as he's told, in my view.
    I doubt it, although I suppose he might be tempted if he felt he'd firmly established his position at Huddersfieid and saw Charlton deep in crisis. I'd guess there will be interviews around the 28th, but it's not in his nature to damage RD for the sake of it and he has to focus on his current role. Agree re Riga and Luzon.
  • I would like to see Vetokele with a hold up player to see if he can rediscover his form playing off a big strong player.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I would like to see Vetokele with a hold up player to see if he can rediscover his form playing off a big strong player.

That late miss against Cardiff seems to have knocked the bollocks out Vetokele and the team.
  • For all posters I was at the game honest!!! and yes it's ROTHERHAM not Rochdale. Must stop taking those pills.
  • rikofold said:

pickwick said:

I doubt it, although I suppose he might be tempted if he felt he'd firmly established his position at Huddersfieid and saw Charlton deep in crisis. I'd guess there will be interviews around the 28th, but it's not in his nature to damage RD for the sake of it and he has to focus on his current role. Agree re Riga and Luzon.
    I think Powell's body language told us all we needed to know over the last half a dozen games and the strange team selections
  • Guy Louzon
    “We wanted to keep the result, especially after two months without a win, but we sat too deep so we need to work on when we lead games, to stay the same and don’t sit back.

Is it me ? He is Head Coach, he stands by the pitch, surely if we take the lead with seven minutes to go, why did he not make it clear that we should not sit back. Perhaps he was waiting for Roland to ring him and instruct him ? The blind leading the blind ?

• Sponsored links:

• i would assume that CP and AB both signed confidentiality agreements when they left so as to get their pay off and thereforeneither of them can speak about the time of their departures.
    This is not written as a criticism.
  • Please not Jed Wallace. My Pompey colleagues all say he's a slightly better than average player in a very poor team- nothing special and def not Champs level.
  • edited February 2015

Please not Jed Wallace. My Pompey colleagues all say he's a slightly better than average player in a very poor team- nothing special and def not Champs level.

Know nothing about him but we don't have a good track record for finding decent players in League 2 (Izale McLeod anyone?) it's a massive jump in quality from league 1 (let alone League 2) to Championship. What we need is proven experience at Championship level but don't expect anyone from this division whilst the current owner and his puppet are in charge.
  • i would assume that CP and AB both signed confidentiality agreements when they left so as to get their pay off and thereforeneither of them can speak about the time of their departures.
    This is not written as a criticism.

I don't know that CP signed anything. I left long before RD arrived so not relevant.
  • Veljkovic; does anyone else think that he was playing for himself and not the team? Every pass was completed to the nearest team mate. 'Got 100% pass completion, me' !

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple. Rather that than keep giving the ball away trying to do the spectacular.
  • sm said:

I would deny anyone let alone Guy Luzon to pick a balanced team with all the players in their favoured positions from the current lot that are available.

Dmitrovic

Solly TBH Bikey Wiggins

JBG Veljkovic Cousins Harriott

Watt Vetokele

Done, medal?
    Two half fit strikers? Watt looked a long way away from a start to me on Saturday. You would have to play Church from the start, or half way through.
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015

For all posters I was at the game honest!!! and yes it's ROTHERHAM not Rochdale. Must stop taking those pills.

Maybe in a relegation scrap its the wrong week to quit those pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeI5ke0BENw
  • 7th-12th 0%..........70% 13th-21st...... 30% Relegation

Having read the comments on Lepoint and then seen him attempting to kick a football for the assist by the Rotherham defender I had to laugh , that was comical , he genuinely doesn't look like he'd ever played football before in that clip

And even if he goes on to be brilliant (we can but dream) those few seconds of video are there forever
  • 7th-12th 0%..........70% 13th-21st...... 30% Relegation

You're optimistic. I've got the 70% and 30% the other way round.
  • Granpa said:

Guy Louzon
    “We wanted to keep the result, especially after two months without a win, but we sat too deep so we need to work on when we lead games, to stay the same and don’t sit back.

Is it me ? He is Head Coach, he stands by the pitch, surely if we take the lead with seven minutes to go, why did he not make it clear that we should not sit back. Perhaps he was waiting for Roland to ring him and instruct him ? The blind leading the blind ?

Listening to some on here like tango And Dick plum and others, you have thrown the towel in. That's your way,
    i was angry, why didn't Luzon tell Gomez to make sure the midfield pushed on.
    The defence can't mark the opposition because their own midfield is in their way.

Powell did this against Sheff wed, home and away, in the 1-1 matches our first season back. both times we concede.

Peeters did this on so many occasions, i've lost count of the late goals we gave away.

Only had Coffee on Saturday because i drove just as well because i was boiling over.

Luzon should have run down the line and got them forward.

I'm sick of the negative tactics.

It's fight or flight time.

I will try to make this clear, Millwall, Blackpool, Rotherham you attack at home,
    you don't set your team out for a point.

You go to middlesbrough, fine, park the bus because we don't have the passing abillity to do much else on our away trips.

c