Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace fans embarrassing themselves again

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    cafctom said:
    Redskin said:
    Palace fans: watching their team play in the Premier league for the last nine years.
    I genuinely don’t feel jealous in any way of them.

They’ve been there for 9 years, made up the numbers and not won anything. Not too dissimilar to our time there in the early 2000s.

If they had done a Leicester, or got into Europe, or won a cup - then I’d be envious. But what is there to be jealous of? The fact they get to watch bigger sides come to their home stadium? 
    Call that a  stadium?
    The J Sainsbury's Megastore Arena
  • Options
    he genuinely thinks they might've won had the balloons been allowed in ;)

they are a special breed 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Each to their own I guess, but I get the same enjoyment out of Charlton on average as I did when we were in the Premier League and when that felt like ‘the norm’

Have Palace had that jackpot Wembley moment like we had since they got to the Premier League?

The malaise I feel for their situation is probably more aimed at the nature of Premier League football. Yes, you get to see the big teams and there’s major revenue for the club - but in terms of what makes being a fan - it just doesn’t do much for me to support a club that is purely looked at as making up the numbers.

Then again, I’m sure if we were in the Premier League again I might feel differently about it. But for now, I don’t look at them with envy.

There’s a reason why they need to try so hard to force an artificial identity about them….
    They might not have had a last gasp winner at Wembley but they have reach an FA cup final, a semi final, won at the Etihad, drew 3-3 with Liverpool after being 3-0 down, regular wins over their biggest rival.

I don't envy them as I think they're an absolute embarrassment, but swap the scenarios round and it would have absolutely been more enjoyable to follow us recently than it has been.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Each to their own I guess, but I get the same enjoyment out of Charlton on average as I did when we were in the Premier League and when that felt like ‘the norm’

Have Palace had that jackpot Wembley moment like we had since they got to the Premier League?

The malaise I feel for their situation is probably more aimed at the nature of Premier League football. Yes, you get to see the big teams and there’s major revenue for the club - but in terms of what makes being a fan - it just doesn’t do much for me to support a club that is purely looked at as making up the numbers.

Then again, I’m sure if we were in the Premier League again I might feel differently about it. But for now, I don’t look at them with envy.

There’s a reason why they need to try so hard to force an artificial identity about them….
    They might not have had a last gasp winner at Wembley but they have reach an FA cup final, a semi final, won at the Etihad, drew 3-3 with Liverpool after being 3-0 down, regular wins over their biggest rival.

I don't envy them as I think they're an absolute embarrassment, but swap the scenarios round and it would have absolutely been more enjoyable to follow us recently than it has been.
    They’ve definitely had their high spots. But we had most of the same - beating Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc in regular league games. In fact most clubs in the top divisions have enjoyed that in their lifetime. 

Ultimately they’ve not had that defining moment that they can hang their hat on for years to come. A cup win, a trip into Europe. Until they get that, then for me they are just nothing more than a well run club that is on television more and with more money in the bank. And those aren’t things that get me excited as a football fan, personally.

And I certainly wouldn’t trade places if it meant having to adopt the strange practices and insecurities of their fanbase. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Hang on, Liverpool and Chelsea are nailed on for the champions league. If Arsenal finish 5th can someone please ensure me that the FA Cup winner's place will then go to the next place in the league and not the unthinkable? 

Edit: NO! :relieved:

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UECL playoff place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

• Options
    Hang on, Liverpool and Chelsea are nailed on for the champions league. If Arsenal finish 5th can someone please ensure me that the FA Cup winner's place will then go to the next place in the league and not the unthinkable? 

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UECL playoff place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

so Millwall remain the only South London club to compete in Europe 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

They’ve definitely had their high spots. But we had most of the same - beating Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc in regular league games. In fact most clubs in the top divisions have enjoyed that in their lifetime. 

Ultimately they’ve not had that defining moment that they can hang their hat on for years to come. A cup win, a trip into Europe. Until they get that, then for me they are just nothing more than a well run club that is on television more and with more money in the bank. And those aren’t things that get me excited as a football fan, personally.

And I certainly wouldn’t trade places if it meant having to adopt the strange practices and insecurities of their fanbase. 
    What’s our defining moment, the league one play off final? They beat their biggest rivals in the play off semis and got promoted at Wembley.

Imagine beating Millwall over two legs to get to Wembley, then winning there to get promoted to the prem. I’d take that any day over Bauer’s goal.

Their supporters are freaks, and that keeps the jealousy at bay, but I can count on one hand the number of enjoyable moments we’ve had this season. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

What’s our defining moment, the league one play off final? They beat their biggest rivals in the play off semis and got promoted at Wembley.

Imagine beating Millwall over two legs to get to Wembley, then winning there to get promoted to the prem. I’d take that any day over Bauer’s goal.

Their supporters are freaks, and that keeps the jealousy at bay, but I can count on one hand the number of enjoyable moments we’ve had this season. 
    They’ve had a better run of it the last ten years, no doubt. But I stand by the point that I have zero jealousy.

For me, what defines a football club are its supporters and the light they put the club in. And in our darkest times over the last ten years, our fans have shown that what we can do off the pitch is just as important as what happens on it.

And that makes me prouder than the odd upset win against a top 6 club and continual 13th placed finishes.

In 20-30 years time, who is going to care about Palace’s mid table Premier League finishes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cf619ff6-bf26-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0?shareToken=2dcb66292bb23199f058176487ce6ec2

Palace fans had 29,000 Balloons confiscated before Wembley. I just don't understand them at all, go to the pub before the game like everyone else and soak up the atmosphere. What's wrong with them?
    His son Rupert and him travelled down from Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire.

Their biggest game of the season and it wasn't even Chelsea's biggest game in that week.
  • Options

Who cares ? 
  • Options

I've seen Charlton at Cardiff and Swansea.
    Don't forget Wrexham twice both losses 6-0 and 3-2 (I haven't seen us at Swansea).
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Who cares ? 
    We played in Europe in that Anglo Italian Cup. I was there in mighty Brescia,.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

They’ve had a better run of it the last ten years, no doubt. But I stand by the point that I have zero jealousy.

For me, what defines a football club are its supporters and the light they put the club in. And in our darkest times over the last ten years, our fans have shown that what we can do off the pitch is just as important as what happens on it.

And that makes me prouder than the odd upset win against a top 6 club and continual 13th placed finishes.

In 20-30 years time, who is going to care about Palace’s mid table Premier League finishes?
    We still care about ours.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

Can't agree with any of that

So when you think about man utd , arsenal, chelsea, spurs , barca , real madrid you think of their fan base before the top players each have had?
    Every club probably has a few weirdos supporting them

You would rather finish mid table league 1 than prem and an fa cup semi final? 
  • Options

Who cares ? 
    Me. It’s the only thing we’ve got over the others history wise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

Can't agree with any of that

So when you think about man utd , arsenal, chelsea, spurs , barca , real madrid you think of their fan base before the top players each have had?
    Every club probably has a few weirdos supporting them

You would rather finish mid table league 1 than prem and an fa cup semi final? 
    We’re not talking about clubs/brands at a level of Chelsea, Madrid, Man United are we? We’re talking about Crystal Palace - whose best player was on loan with us about 2 years ago. 

If you or anyone else is jealous of Crystal Palace, then that’s how you feel. It’s not how I feel. 

I love Charlton for the club that it is and the fanbase it has. I couldn’t give a monkeys what division any other club is in, I wouldn’t ever trade in what makes our club great just to have Premier League football and a fanbase like theirs. And if you want to disagree on it, that’s fine. Some people will hold more weight with what happens on the pitch compared to what happens off of it - I completely get that.
  • Options

Who cares ? 
    Me. It’s the only thing we’ve got over the others history wise. 
    Were you there?

I was 😳😱🤣🤣
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

Username checks out.
  • Options
    I want us to be high up the football pyramid and I want our rivals down in the lower leagues  .
    I want to take the piss out of how shit they are football wise .
    I’m not too bothered what our fan base wear or look like , I think all people are cnuts until proven otherwise .nauseate
    I’m sick of shit football and would much prefer to be in the championship or prem than this shithouse league
    yes our fan base in general aren’t as odd as palace , make no mistake we have plenty of odd bods and our fan base hasn’t got a Cnut per fan ratio anywhere near the scum but we have our cnuts 
    Anyone saying they wouldn’t swap footballing places with the scum or palace is a liar .
    yes I’m jealous of their current footballing positions if I’m allowed to think that whilst at the same time laughing at some of their geek fans

This is classic oohaah. 
  • Options
    Which of these quotes from that Times article is the most absurd?

1. Inflated balloons can block aisles and escape routes, when deflated they can create a slip hazard, and the loud noise when they burst can create panic, which is dangerous in large crowds.

2. Liberal Democrat councillor, brought 32,000 balloons with him to give out to fans outside Wembley,

3. Wilsher lives in Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire (is this where you can actually see Eagles?)

4. his six-year-old son, Rupert.

5 .Wilsher thinks the display could have changed Palace’s fortunes on the pitch against Chelsea.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

Username checks out.
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

Username checks out.
    How so? Would bet I hate that club more than anyone on here, but to pretend you wouldn't swap league places with them is ridiculous 
  • Options

Did you buy a millwall replica kit with the premier league logo on the sleeves......oh!!!

seriously, as long as palace never qualify, I can live with that stat
  • Options
    Which of these quotes from that Times article is the most absurd?

1. Inflated balloons can block aisles and escape routes, when deflated they can create a slip hazard, and the loud noise when they burst can create panic, which is dangerous in large crowds.

2. Liberal Democrat councillor, brought 32,000 balloons with him to give out to fans outside Wembley,

3. Wilsher lives in Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire (is this where you can actually see Eagles?)

4. his six-year-old son, Rupert.

5 .Wilsher thinks the display could have changed Palace’s fortunes on the pitch against Chelsea.

Calling your son Rupert!!!!
  • Options
    Where to start with this.

The fact he threw the coin like a girl
    Virgin written on his shirt
    He's wearing a backpack
    His son is with him
    There is one positive, he keeps his change in his pocket and not in a wallet