Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace fans embarrassing themselves again

Comments

• Options
    Which of these quotes from that Times article is the most absurd?

1. Inflated balloons can block aisles and escape routes, when deflated they can create a slip hazard, and the loud noise when they burst can create panic, which is dangerous in large crowds.

2. Liberal Democrat councillor, brought 32,000 balloons with him to give out to fans outside Wembley,

3. Wilsher lives in Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire (is this where you can actually see Eagles?)

4. his six-year-old son, Rupert.

5 .Wilsher thinks the display could have changed Palace’s fortunes on the pitch against Chelsea.

Is this one of those trick questions where actually the correct answer is "all of the above"?
  • Options
    'Rupert' ffs! I thought that was a joke til I read the article!
  • Options
    They embarrass themselves everytime they put the Palarse shirt
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Each to their own I guess, but I get the same enjoyment out of Charlton on average as I did when we were in the Premier League and when that felt like ‘the norm’

Have Palace had that jackpot Wembley moment like we had since they got to the Premier League?

The malaise I feel for their situation is probably more aimed at the nature of Premier League football. Yes, you get to see the big teams and there’s major revenue for the club - but in terms of what makes being a fan - it just doesn’t do much for me to support a club that is purely looked at as making up the numbers.

Then again, I’m sure if we were in the Premier League again I might feel differently about it. But for now, I don’t look at them with envy.

There’s a reason why they need to try so hard to force an artificial identity about them….
    They might not have had a last gasp winner at Wembley but they have reach an FA cup final, a semi final, won at the Etihad, drew 3-3 with Liverpool after being 3-0 down, regular wins over their biggest rival.

I don't envy them as I think they're an absolute embarrassment, but swap the scenarios round and it would have absolutely been more enjoyable to follow us recently than it has been.
    They’ve definitely had their high spots. But we had most of the same - beating Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc in regular league games. In fact most clubs in the top divisions have enjoyed that in their lifetime. 

Ultimately they’ve not had that defining moment that they can hang their hat on for years to come. A cup win, a trip into Europe. Until they get that, then for me they are just nothing more than a well run club that is on television more and with more money in the bank. And those aren’t things that get me excited as a football fan, personally.

And I certainly wouldn’t trade places if it meant having to adopt the strange practices and insecurities of their fanbase. 
    What’s our defining moment, the league one play off final? They beat their biggest rivals in the play off semis and got promoted at Wembley.

Imagine beating Millwall over two legs to get to Wembley, then winning there to get promoted to the prem. I’d take that any day over Bauer’s goal.

Their supporters are freaks, and that keeps the jealousy at bay, but I can count on one hand the number of enjoyable moments we’ve had this season. 
    Username checks out.
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Each to their own I guess, but I get the same enjoyment out of Charlton on average as I did when we were in the Premier League and when that felt like ‘the norm’

Have Palace had that jackpot Wembley moment like we had since they got to the Premier League?

The malaise I feel for their situation is probably more aimed at the nature of Premier League football. Yes, you get to see the big teams and there’s major revenue for the club - but in terms of what makes being a fan - it just doesn’t do much for me to support a club that is purely looked at as making up the numbers.

Then again, I’m sure if we were in the Premier League again I might feel differently about it. But for now, I don’t look at them with envy.

There’s a reason why they need to try so hard to force an artificial identity about them….
    They might not have had a last gasp winner at Wembley but they have reach an FA cup final, a semi final, won at the Etihad, drew 3-3 with Liverpool after being 3-0 down, regular wins over their biggest rival.

I don't envy them as I think they're an absolute embarrassment, but swap the scenarios round and it would have absolutely been more enjoyable to follow us recently than it has been.
    They’ve definitely had their high spots. But we had most of the same - beating Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc in regular league games. In fact most clubs in the top divisions have enjoyed that in their lifetime. 

Ultimately they’ve not had that defining moment that they can hang their hat on for years to come. A cup win, a trip into Europe. Until they get that, then for me they are just nothing more than a well run club that is on television more and with more money in the bank. And those aren’t things that get me excited as a football fan, personally.

And I certainly wouldn’t trade places if it meant having to adopt the strange practices and insecurities of their fanbase. 
    What’s our defining moment, the league one play off final? They beat their biggest rivals in the play off semis and got promoted at Wembley.

Imagine beating Millwall over two legs to get to Wembley, then winning there to get promoted to the prem. I’d take that any day over Bauer’s goal.

Their supporters are freaks, and that keeps the jealousy at bay, but I can count on one hand the number of enjoyable moments we’ve had this season. 
    Username checks out.
    How so? Would bet I hate that club more than anyone on here, but to pretend you wouldn't swap league places with them is ridiculous 
    Alright Nigel it was just a joke.
  • Options
    This is in danger of becoming cringe central. They are an established premiership club and we are a total fucking embarrassment.

Same thing will happen when Millwall go up (we all know its gonna happen) - we will sit here laughing at how inferior they are cos they have a smaller ground whilst our useless owner and players takes us further down the league ladder into obscurity.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    This is in danger of becoming cringe central. They are an established premiership club and we are a total fucking embarrassment.

Same thing will happen when Millwall go up (we all know its gonna happen) - we will sit here laughing at how inferior they are cos they have a smaller ground whilst our useless owner and players takes us further down the league ladder into obscurity.
    You might be embarrassed but I’m not. 

Couldn’t care less what others say about us, Charlton are my club. 

I also couldn't care less if they went up, down or sailed off into the sunset together.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

You might be embarrassed but I’m not. 

Couldn’t care less what others say about us, Charlton are my club. 

We might be shit at the moment but that’s not the first time nor will it be the last.  

I’d be far more embarrassed of my club if we were anything like the wannabe Surrey Ultras. 
    And the 15th May 2005 will remain in the history books.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit late to the party here, but are they really putting the date 1861 on their badge?! Could they be more plastic?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cn43569l0q0o
  • Options
    Bit late to the party here, but are they really putting the date 1861 on their badge?! Could they be more plastic?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cn43569l0q0o
    Seems their fans are buying into the date change. Still it's another 40 odd years of not winning anything!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Jonathon: I’m so proud of our heritage, as a club that’s contributed so much to the game we all love. Having the current England manger and so many academy players and ex-Palace players current and past playing for many Premier League clubs. Now knowing our history goes back to the inception of the FA gives me a cultural footprint in football's heritage.

So in 161 years apparently the only contributions he can come up with are players from the Premier League which started in 1992 (I think). 
  • Options
    "3rd class tickets", as my old grandad used to say!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where is that sad dance routine a group of them practiced, and put online?

• Options
    Why do people want to continually rewrite history? 
    Is better for their egos to claim nonsense facts or maybe its just a way of claiming some sense of being important to the football world.
    I'm sure the Sky super 6/7 really give a toss. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    If you have history, you don't need to pretend.

They may be 2 divisions above us, but arguably their most significant bit of history was the kung fu kick by Cantona. They pinched their kit from Barca and their badge from Benfica and now they want to claim lineage from a club who stopped playing football.

Pretty sure they took the idea of having an actual Eagle in the stadium from Vitesse Arnhem

There is absolutely nothing original about them!!

Named after a temporary Greenhouse introduced by the partner of a Monarch

Hopefully Kate will do the opposite and finally shut 'em down!!
  • Options
    Mark: Absolute proof that the Crystal Palace club founded in 1861 and the same CPFC we know today comes from the fact that they only won their first game in 1864. Do more than just change the date on the crest, get rid of the eagle and put on a glazier.

Only took three years to win their first match 🤣