Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace fans embarrassing themselves again

Comments

• Options
    I think at times we can get a bit "club of our size etc" but in the main we're genuinely pragmatic and realistic about what and where we are.

However I've never known a club so deluded with their own sense of self importance and entitlement as Crystal Palace.

They are the football equivalent of an Apprentice contestant called Nigel. 
    Sheffield Wednesday?
    The Surrey Wednesday
  • Options
    I think at times we can get a bit "club of our size etc" but in the main we're genuinely pragmatic and realistic about what and where we are.

However I've never known a club so deluded with their own sense of self importance and entitlement as Crystal Palace.

They are the football equivalent of an Apprentice contestant called Nigel. 
    Sheffield Wednesday?
    Most of what they say is tongue in cheek. Where are their banners?
  • Options
    They're an odd bunch. If you're a premier league team (especially a small one without big pockets) by default, you can expect to finish behind Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. So before the season even starts the best you can probably hope for is 7th. Then you have the sides like Newcastle, Brighton, Wolves, Villa and West Ham, who have all been fairly ambitious over the years and spent money and all enjoyed European football. So already before the season starts, there's your top10 realistically before a ball has even been kicked. 

They currently sit 14th and 7 points away from Chelsea, who have spent hundreds of millions on their squad. I'd take that over being in a relegation fight two divisons below! 

Punched above their weight for far too long and need a bit of a reality check. By club history and accolades, plus support, they aren't anywhere near a top 20 side in England, very fortunate to be in the position they are, and one day they'll realise that.

I expect Forest and Brentford to start picking up more points and finish above them, Luton are also in fine form. I also don't see them overtaking Bournemouth or Fulham at any stage. So it's all eyes on Everton and Luton for me whether or not they face relegation this season.

15 games to go, Chelsea (H), Everton (a), Burnley (H), Spurs (a), Luton (H), Newcastle (H), Forest (a), Bournemouth (a), City (H), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Fulham (a), ManU (H), Wolves (a), Villa (H)

A very difficult 15 games, I'd say out of that lot, Chelsea, Burnley and West Ham at home are their best bets for some points. Fingers crossed this is the year, as they've fluked it for too long and Roy deserves better than the pelters he gets from them dorks.
    I'd love them to go but those next three games could see them win them all. Like us until 2006/07 they always grind a win or two when danger looms. With further points deductions to come for Everton and Forest it's another season with them finishing safely in the 40s. 

Next season however. Leicester, Leeds and Saints back up could give us scope. 
  • Options
    edited February 5
    I think there's practically zero chance of them going down this season.

Even if you account for their own poor form, and how bad Sheffield United and Burnley are, there's also the potential chance that Forest and Everton (again) will be deducted points for failing FFP.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance they go down just because of what's around them. 

I do however expect Graham Potter or Steve Cooper in the dugout for them next year and they'll have sold either Olise or Eze or both for big money to a Top 4 side. 
  • Options
    edited February 5
    They're an odd bunch. If you're a premier league team (especially a small one without big pockets) by default, you can expect to finish behind Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. So before the season even starts the best you can probably hope for is 7th. Then you have the sides like Newcastle, Brighton, Wolves, Villa and West Ham, who have all been fairly ambitious over the years and spent money and all enjoyed European football. So already before the season starts, there's your top10 realistically before a ball has even been kicked. 

They currently sit 14th and 7 points away from Chelsea, who have spent hundreds of millions on their squad. I'd take that over being in a relegation fight two divisons below! 

Punched above their weight for far too long and need a bit of a reality check. By club history and accolades, plus support, they aren't anywhere near a top 20 side in England, very fortunate to be in the position they are, and one day they'll realise that.

I expect Forest and Brentford to start picking up more points and finish above them, Luton are also in fine form. I also don't see them overtaking Bournemouth or Fulham at any stage. So it's all eyes on Everton and Luton for me whether or not they face relegation this season.

15 games to go, Chelsea (H), Everton (a), Burnley (H), Spurs (a), Luton (H), Newcastle (H), Forest (a), Bournemouth (a), City (H), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Fulham (a), ManU (H), Wolves (a), Villa (H)

A very difficult 15 games, I'd say out of that lot, Chelsea, Burnley and West Ham at home are their best bets for some points. Fingers crossed this is the year, as they've fluked it for too long and Roy deserves better than the pelters he gets from them dorks.
    It pains me to say it but the key to their success in avoiding relegation is the managers they have brought in.

They have not "fluked it".

15th May 2005.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there's practically zero chance of them going down this season.

Even if you account for their own poor form, and how bad Sheffield United and Burnley are, there's also the potential chance that Forest and Everton (again) will be deducted points for failing FFP.
    Without further points deductions things could get very sticky for the pricks.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance they go down just because of what's around them. 

I do however expect Graham Potter or Steve Cooper in the dugout for them next year and they'll have sold either Olise or Eze or both for big money to a Top 4 side. 
    I wonder if they will end up with Southgate, if England don't win the Euros in the summer
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/04/crystal-palace-considered-sacking-roy-hodgson-in-wake-of-brighton-defeat

Steve Parish, the Crystal Palace chairman, has strongly contemplated sacking Roy Hodgson after the record defeat against Brighton on Saturday but is struggling to find a replacement who is willing to take over at this stage of the season.

Steve Cooper – sacked by Nottingham Forest in December – and the former Wolves manager Julen Lopetegui have been mooted as potential replacements but are believed to be reluctant to take over with so little time to prepare for a run of fixtures that includes Chelsea at Selhurst Park next Monday night before a trip to face Everton and home fixture against Burnley on successive weekends.
  • Options
    Let's hope they finally get relegated.
  • Options
    You'd hope next season that they would lose Olise & Eze who are really the only players with any real quality in that side (other than Henderson, Geuhi & Anderson perhaps)
  • Options
    Long may it continue.
    They've got the hump , because for a few seasons they've just been treading water.
    Going nowhere, let that continue.
    I've lost the plot abit over the weekend.
    Because if they were to just tread water for the next 5 season I think It wouldn’t bother me them not going down.
    Below mid table and just above the relegation zone , will do me.
    Give them nothing to look forward to.
    Don't get me wrong if they could get relegated and be outside the premiership for the next 20 years , I'm all for it.
    But at the moment it ground hog season every season for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Long may it continue.
    They've got the hump , because for a few seasons they've just been treading water.
    Because if they were to just tread water for the next 5 season I think It wouldn’t bother me them not going down.
    Don't get me wrong if they could get relegated and be outside the premiership for the next 20 years , I'm all for it.

Nowhere near enough for me.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    clb74 said:
    Long may it continue.

Nowhere near enough for me.
    I'd rather they go bust.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I wonder if they will end up with Southgate, if England don't win the Euros in the summer
    Wouldn’t a top club be realistic for Southgate? Liverpool,  maybe? If not he might go abroad.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Long may it continue.
    I was thinking along similar lines after seeing how angry they got on Saturday after the Brighton match. If they go down they could well bounce back up and be rejuvenated. Perhaps it’s funnier if they were to stay permanently in the position they are now, as long as they continue to win f all cupwise.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want any club to go bust - let's face it, despite being comedy gold on so many levels, they have fans that are fans for the same reason many of us support Charlton; Family ties, place of birth, new locations etc. etc. 

So lets not wish they go bust.

Lets hope they suffer the same fate as our last few years but with bells on, until such time as their local derby is Croydon Athletic and out of ironic desperation they revert to Claret and Blue and call themselves The Glaziers. Please let it happen...

• Options
    I wouldn't want any club to go bust - let's face it, despite being comedy gold on so many levels, they have fans that are fans for the same reason many of us support Charlton; Family ties, place of birth, new locations etc. etc. 

So lets not wish they go bust.

Lets hope they suffer the same fate as our last few years but with bells on, until such time as their local derby is Croydon Athletic and out of ironic desperation they revert to Claret and Blue and call themselves The Glaziers. Please let it happen...

Same. Only club I would wish that on is MK cons
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Should Woy leave, I have the perfect replacement for them..............

Parish seems to have always pressed the button on managers at the right time, and that's probably a big part of why they've survived, fairly comfortably, for so long. If he gets fed up with the stick he's getting and decides to sell up, first appointing a dud manager, I'm sure we can volunteer a long list of suitable candidates.
  • Options
    Should Woy leave, I have the perfect replacement for them..............

Parish seems to have always pressed the button on managers at the right time, and that's probably a big part of why they've survived, fairly comfortably, for so long. If he gets fed up with the stick he's getting and decides to sell up, first appointing a dud manager, I'm sure we can volunteer a long list of suitable candidates.