Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall sack holloway

Comments

• Options
    I'm feeling quite smug at the moment.
    Let's all laugh at smallwank
  • Options
    Far from over. A couple of wins with new manager momentum can change things dramatically when you're at the bottom. And they've still got their annual home banker to come on 3rd April.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Well, having been with the club for all of two months, Luzon now has 12 managers below him in the longevity list. Unreal.

ridiculous
  • Options
    This is the worst news I've read all week.
  • Options
    In the unlikely event that Millwall were to win half their remaining games (but no less unlikely than we'd win 5 out of 6), it doesn't have to be Fulham they catch, there are four more clubs, just takes one of them to go on a run similar to that Millwall have had.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Question:

Is it just me, or does it always appear that rival teams sack there managers a couple of weeks before we are scheduled to play them?

Answer:
    cafcfan said:

Well, having been with the club for all of two months, Luzon now has 12 managers below him in the longevity list. Unreal.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange timing, but the Boro and Norwich games were ones they'd expect to lose, whereas the next 2 fixtures, away to Bolton and home to Brighton are more winnable, and they're clearly hoping for the new manager bounce.
  • Options
    Shame, was hoping defeat to us would be the final nail in the coffin.
  • Options

if people think Millwall can stay up then we can still make the play off's

I don't think Millwall will stay up, but it is more likely than we get into the play-offs since winning games closes the gap for them more than it does for us.

• Options
    They were in a dire position with Holloway at the tail end of last season and got out.

Much more time this round and no Holloway, it is looking up for them.....nightmare.
  • Options
    Salad said:

if people think Millwall can stay up then we can still make the play off's

I don't think Millwall will stay up, but it is more likely than we get into the play-offs since winning games closes the gap for them more than it does for us.

Plus, we're chasing winning teams, they're chasing losing ones. A lot easier if you can start winning games.
  • Options
    Too little too late for them, they might improve a bit, but not enough to stay up.
  • Options

Addicted said:

Id much rather see Palace and Pardew relegated from the prem than Millwall go down to L1 (sorry)

What if you could have both...
    It's that strange situation where you're rivals with a team and you dont wish them well, but it's more fun if you play each other. I'd almost prefer them to finish 21st every season. Palace on the other hand can disappear without a trace, although sadly that doesnt seem too likely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely no club will now be mad enough to employ Holloway? It amazes me how these managers get jobs sometimes.
  • Options
    Gutted.
    Just shows you can't beat the chairman's vote of confidence
    Chairman John Berylson has said that everybody at the club appreciates and understands the concerns and frustrations of fans as we close out another season battling for Championship survival.

Quoted on the official site from his Norwich programme notes, our owner explained that nobody wanted another relegation battle but it was what it was, and he has no intention of pushing the panic button at this stage.

'I think I have now been here long enough for most of you to believe that I too have become a fan to the extent that I feel the pain as much as the rest of you. More than that I have put something like £40m into the club over the last seven or eight years, and continue to support it financially on a monthly basis, so I have an even bigger stake in our success or failure.'

Berylson goes on to say that 'having spent most of my life' making huge decisions in business, he's obviously not afraid of making the difficult decisions but he believes that manager Ian Holloway is the right man for the job despite our struggles this season.

'The decision I have made, in the best interests of Millwall and not for any other reason, is that we must stick with and support our manager more than ever at the time.'

He goes on to say that when Holloway was appointed, he was appointed as the best man for the job and it was welcomed with almost 'universal support' from the fanbase and nobody could see this season coming.

'None of us, including Ollie, could have conceived just what a problematic season we would endure this time round. Now is not the time for looking into the many reasons why, but one factor is certainly not that we recruited a bad manager.'

The frustration for all is having finished last season on such a high and having begin this season in much the same vein, the speed to which the wheels fell off and that will have to be looked at at a later date.

'This time last year, under Ollie, we staged a remarkable recovery, remaining unbeaten in our final eight games to escape relegation. The motivational and coaching ability of our manager was the biggest single factor behind that achievement. Ian Holloway still possesses the same qualities now as he did then. While our position is again a perilous one, the judgement I have made is that while he himself retains the belief that he can do it, there is no-one I can think of who would give us a better chance of beating the odds and staying in the Championship again.'
  • Options
    That chairman is deluded if he didn't think Millwall would struggle this season.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Addicted said:

Id much rather see Palace and Pardew relegated from the prem than Millwall go down to L1 (sorry)

This!
    But I'm not sorry
  • Options
    Just seen it on Sky Sports News. Reporter at their training ground said he spoke to a player about the feeling in the dressing room & the consensus is that they were shocked & thought Holloway could have kept them up. Also Harris is first team coach there so no real change and just like us when Les Reed stepped up to the plate when Dowie went, and looked what happened there.

they might get a small "dead cat bounce" over the next couple of games but I still expect them to be in the bottom 3 once we've left there on GOOD Friday !!!
  • Options
    Disappointed by this, but looking on the positive side, if they do perform a miracle and stay up, the chances are that Fulham will replace them in the drop zone.

Every cloud..............
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Last season, they had Doncaster in wobbly form and Birmingham in freefall. It is looking a lot tougher this year, but things could look very different within 2 or 3 games. Their only hope is for someone to do a Donny.

Last season at 12 March:

statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2013-2014/table/2014-03-12

16 Bolton Wanderers 35 9 13 13 46 50 -4 40
    17 Sheffield Weds 34 9 12 13 39 41 -2 39
    18 Blackpool 35 9 11 15 30 49 -19 38
    19 Birmingham City 35 9 10 16 42 47 -5 37
    20 Doncaster Rovers 35 9 9 17 32 54 -22 36
    21 Millwall 35 7 10 18 32 62 -30 31
    22 Yeovil Town 34 7 8 19 30 49 -19 29
    23 Barnsley 34 6 11 17 31 59 -28 29
    24 Charlton Athletic 31 6 10 15 24 41 -17 28
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Last season, they had Doncaster in wobbly form and Birmingham in freefall. It is looking a lot tougher this year, but things could look very different within 2 or 3 games. Their only hope is for someone to do a Donny.

Last season at 12 March:

statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2013-2014/table/2014-03-12

16 Bolton Wanderers 35 9 13 13 46 50 -4 40
    17 Sheffield Weds 34 9 12 13 39 41 -2 39
    18 Blackpool 35 9 11 15 30 49 -19 38
    19 Birmingham City 35 9 10 16 42 47 -5 37
    20 Doncaster Rovers 35 9 9 17 32 54 -22 36
    21 Millwall 35 7 10 18 32 62 -30 31
    22 Yeovil Town 34 7 8 19 30 49 -19 29
    23 Barnsley 34 6 11 17 31 59 -28 29
    24 Charlton Athletic 31 6 10 15 24 41 -17 28

Next time i / we moan about not taking the Fa cup seriously and getting dumped out of the cup by a lesser team , i think this timely reminder should rear its head , although we had games in hand , we are in a far better place now than 12 months ago.