Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good god F1's become dull.

Comments

• Options
    I assume the original poster meant everyone drives the same make of car but I was thinking along the lines of everyone in the same car i.e just one car with all the drivers in as shown by the pictures further up the thread.
  • Options
    Not just dull, but less of it now too. bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31994404
    (I can only assume that the BBC have given up on employing people that can write in English but you'll get the gist!)
  • Options
    Be come dull? It's always been dull Imo
  • Options
    edited March 2015

You guys have never watched the Ginetta series then? (or the Porsche Carrera Cup)

This year there's Ginetta G40 Juniors for 14-17 year olds; and the G40s, G50s and G55s that provide for very entertaining racing.

A lot of one make racing is exciting because there is a huge disparity in the quality of the drivers. There are often a half dozen pro drivers who dominate and the rest are novices, amatuers and hopefuls. The excitement usually arises when there are crashes and mistakes. If all the drivers were of a high standard there would be little overtaking or incidents between drivers.

Also if one make racing was so interesting it wouldn't be on Motors TV at half past two in the morning, and (as I mentioned before), more than two or three hundred would pay to watch it at the circuits.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Halix said:

You guys have never watched the Ginetta series then? (or the Porsche Carrera Cup)

This year there's Ginetta G40 Juniors for 14-17 year olds; and the G40s, G50s and G55s that provide for very entertaining racing.

A lot of one make racing is exciting because there is a huge disparity in the quality of the drivers. There are often a half dozen pro drivers who dominate and the rest are novices, amatuers and hopefuls. The excitement usually arises when there are crashes and mistakes. If all the drivers were of a high standard there would be little overtaking or incidents between drivers.

Also if one make racing was so interesting it wouldn't be on Motors TV at half past two in the morning, and (as I mentioned before), more than two or three hundred would pay to watch it at the circuits.

Sorry to disappoint. But the Ginetta Supercup and Junior series have been and are again this season shown live on ITV4 (as part of that channel's day-long Touring Cars coverage. So they get seen by an audience of 19.4mn on TV and some 366,000 spectators*. (According to Ginetta's buy a drive page.) BTW if you've got £52,950 plus VAT you too could be blasting round British Tracks in 27 races and that includes fuel, tyres, spares, tech support, driving suit and even parking passes which is pretty good I think. In comparison a F1 team would spend close to that on a steering wheel.

* Very similar to the number of spectators that Charlton manage in a season.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    They piggy back as supporting races to the BTCC, which by the was isnt a one make series and is the largest domestic Race series. When it has raced on its own and not a supporting race only a fraction of the fans watch/attend. In my experience the spectators only often care for the main event and watch the other races because they are waiting for the big race, or dont watch it because they are having a burger/ drink.

By the way I dont recall 19.4 million people watching the Ginetta racing, as most weeks only 9.5 million watch Coronation St. I guess you are either quoting a potential audience or totalling all the viewers for the whole season, in which case its largely the same people watching repeatedly.

Comparing the race season with a football club sitting about 35th in the football leagues, shows the level of support, and thats without Charlton getting regular TV coverage. If you charged £25 to watch Ginetta racing on its own you would have no trouble avoiding human contact for the afternoon.

Do you work for Ginetta?
  • Options
    As previously articulated, I don't watch it because it is duller than a grey, early spring eclipse morning, (mind you,some would say the same of my guilty pleasure - NHL), but just some thoughts/ideas that may heighten the viewers experience:

1. Refuelling - Forget pit stops, stick a couple of Shell Filling stations on the circuit and make each driver queue for fuel. Issue them some sort of rewards card and make them go into a kiosk to get the points added on after filling up.

2. Stick a couple of level crossings on each circuit and have an express train pass through every 20 minutes.

3. Create a 'countryside' driving experience on one part of the circuit and stick roaming livestock on it.

4. Create a 'town centre Saturday night kick out time' area on the circuit so the drivers' have to deal with stumbling/rambling shandy drinkers who can't handle their sherbert.

5. Devise the circuit in such a way that there are roundabouts on it, making drivers give way to those who have priority.

6. Chuck a couple of 'wide boy' 'white van man' vehicles on there with crap music blaring out and no consideration whatsoever for other road users as they drive like buffoons trying to impress their young 'apprentice' passengers.

Just some thoughts; got to be worth a try!!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sorry to disappoint. But the Ginetta Supercup and Junior series have been and are again this season shown live on ITV4 (as part of that channel's day-long Touring Cars coverage. So they get seen by an audience of 19.4mn on TV and some 366,000 spectators*. (According to Ginetta's buy a drive page.) BTW if you've got £52,950 plus VAT you too could be blasting round British Tracks in 27 races and that includes fuel, tyres, spares, tech support, driving suit and even parking passes which is pretty good I think. In comparison a F1 team would spend close to that on a steering wheel.

er... 19.4 million? Because it's on ITV4? I'm not sure 19.4 million people even know ITV4 exists!
    :smile:
  • Options

cafcfan said:

er... 19.4 million? Because it's on ITV4? I'm not sure 19.4 million people even know ITV4 exists!
    That's Ginetta's take on the figures. It's obviously a season-long aggregate (even Stuwall would have realised that) provided to assist potential drivers with sponsorship pakages. But it's still entertaining racing.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

That's Ginetta's take on the figures. It's obviously a season-long aggregate (even Stuwall would have realised that) provided to assist potential drivers with sponsorship pakages. But it's still entertaining racing.
    At best that's accumulated. If you consider the average Premier League game gets
    1-2m viewers. ITV Soaps get between 7-9m. 19m is one in three people in this country. It's an absurd number to claim!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

At best that's accumulated.
    That's what I said didn't I?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Well that was bloody boring eh?

So glad the Ferraris were so fast today, won't be an easy ride for Mercedes based on that performance
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Well that was bloody boring eh?

So glad the Ferraris were so fast today, won't be an easy ride for Mercedes based on that performance

Poor wasn't it? Not helped by some weird decisions from officialdom. Was the safety car really needed? They could have just banned overtaking for a lap and the JCB would have had the beached car dragged clear in no time. And those 10 second penalties - for a couple of nondescript racing incidents. It's beginning to look like a sport for the under-tens now. What next? A car sponsored by My Little Pony with nice pink glittery paintwork?
  • Options
    JCB at the end of one of the longest straights where a lot of people over the years have had suspension, brake, front wing and tyre failures, and after the Bianchi incident, was absolutely necessary for a safety car. Both the Force Indias were passed and then shunted drivers who had track advantage.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I wouldnt be suprised in Mercedes toned down their engines just to make it bit more of a competition.
  • Options

I wouldnt be suprised in Mercedes toned down their engines just to make it bit more of a competition.

And deliberately lost the race? Yeah OK
  • Options
    Was pretty great today, I don't think Ferrari are a one-off but at the same time I'd be surprised if Mercedes didn't go straight back and get a one-two in China. Obviously some progress that there is a clear second best team who can win on merit rather than Red Bull getting some fairly lucky wins after albeit great drives by Ricciardo last year and Williams being competitive but never that much of a threat.

Good for Vettel too as despite the hate he got for the 4 in a row, he actually seems a pretty likeable guy.

Rosberg was pretty pathetic I thought though, gave Vettel no resistance whatsoever and then begging for help from the engineers again, Vettel needs to be close as Hamilton has Rosberg beat already.
  • Options
    Love the engineering side of the sport, but give me a 6R4 driven in anger any day.
  • Options
    Mercedes made a few tactical errors, but Ferrari have clearly got a much better car now which is good, as it's hard to see Rosberg beating Hamilton barring mechanical failures, and while I'm happy for Hamilton to win another title, I don't want complete walkover
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't say Ferrari clearly have a much better car now. Only two weeks ago Merc were half a minute clear. That doesn't disappear in a fortnight with no testing or new parts. Think they have made a big step, but lots will be track specific and swing race to race between the two. Merc struggled with the high temps by the looks of things, and screwed up strategically. In pace it was close between them. This is only good news for Lewis - Rosberg won't be able to race wheel to wheel with Vettel, raikonnen and his team mate and will get left behind.

I will say though - imagine if it was Ricciardo or Alonso instead of Vettel in the Ferrari. No surprise that one year after being schooled by Alonso, Kimi looks more competitive all of a sudden alongside Vettel. I hope people don't forget how good Ricciardo was v Vettel last year.

Imagine if Lewis and Vettel are head to head in a title fight. Would leave Merc with no choice but to back Lewis as a clear number one.
  • Options

Was pretty great today, I don't think Ferrari are a one-off but at the same time I'd be surprised if Mercedes didn't go straight back and get a one-two in China. Obviously some progress that there is a clear second best team who can win on merit rather than Red Bull getting some fairly lucky wins after albeit great drives by Ricciardo last year and Williams being competitive but never that much of a threat.

Good for Vettel too as despite the hate he got for the 4 in a row, he actually seems a pretty likeable guy.

Rosberg was pretty pathetic I thought though, gave Vettel no resistance whatsoever and then begging for help from the engineers again, Vettel needs to be close as Hamilton has Rosberg beat already.

I still really don't like Vettel, partly because he reminds me of someone I know. However, it is good for the sport that there is someone to challenge the Mercedes for the title.

I like to see two different cars going for the win because they have different strengths and weaknesses and it's exciting to see how the drivers take advantage of those.

I hope Raikkonen has a better race in China and we can see a really good podium fight.
  • Options

I wouldn't say Ferrari clearly have a much better car now. Only two weeks ago Merc were half a minute clear. That doesn't disappear in a fortnight with no testing or new parts. Think they have made a big step, but lots will be track specific and swing race to race between the two. Merc struggled with the high temps by the looks of things, and screwed up strategically. In pace it was close between them. This is only good news for Lewis - Rosberg won't be able to race wheel to wheel with Vettel, raikonnen and his team mate and will get left behind.

I will say though - imagine if it was Ricciardo or Alonso instead of Vettel in the Ferrari. No surprise that one year after being schooled by Alonso, Kimi looks more competitive all of a sudden alongside Vettel. I hope people don't forget how good Ricciardo was v Vettel last year.

Imagine if Lewis and Vettel are head to head in a title fight. Would leave Merc with no choice but to back Lewis as a clear number one.

Ricciardo isn't as amazing as people think he is, Vettel's heart and head wasn't in it last year and the car didn't suit him, Ric will be a world champion, but he hasn't blown me away so far, and his performances this season show that Kvyat is on a par with him.

Vettel dominated in a very good car for four years, but this season will show us his speed in a different car, in different surroundings and the fact that he can string together great lap after great lap.

Remember in qualifying Vettel was only 0.043 seconds off of pole.

I disagree that Alonso would be that much better, however I am a huge Alonso fan and I hope for his sake the McHonda can become competitive as soon as possible.

Alonso and Vettel as teammates however would be amazing, and would really be a dream team.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    sam3110 said:

And deliberately lost the race? Yeah OK

I'm not suggesting they deliberately lost the race.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Ricciardo isn't as amazing as people think he is, Vettel's heart and head wasn't in it last year and the car didn't suit him, Ric will be a world champion, but he hasn't blown me away so far, and his performances this season show that Kvyat is on a par with him.

Vettel dominated in a very good car for four years, but this season will show us his speed in a different car, in different surroundings and the fact that he can string together great lap after great lap.

I disagree that Alonso would be that much better, however I am a huge Alonso fan and I hope for his sake the McHonda can become competitive as soon as possible.

Alonso and Vettel as teammates however would be amazing, and would really be a dream team.
    Alonso and Lewis are a step above everyone with Ricciardo and possible Vettel just behind. If Vettel outpaces Kimi in the same way pace wise as Alonso did over a season it may go a way to explaining his battering last year but it is going to far to say his head and heart were not in it - poor excuse for him. Lewis went a bit wild a few years back when he had a Scherzinger melt down but was still performing better than Vettel did.

Either way, we will hopefully be set for a close fight and it will show Rosberg up to be average imo.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Vettel is a great front runner so it all came together for him today when Ferrari made the call to stay out under the safety car and not pit, there was no touching him after that. Merc lost the ace there, but Ferrari have clearly got a pretty competetive car now, especially at tracks where straight line speed is important.

Suspect it'll still be Hamilton and Mercs year, but it won't be such a one team race this season, which is good news because Rosberg looks a beaten man already.

• Options
    Though Nick Pope had a good drive.
  • Options

Though Nick Pope had a good drive.

Bloody hell... THATS why we went on the poor run with Nick Pope in the side, it wasnt Nick Pope in the goal at all instead was Max Verstappen between the sticks.

I guess it explains why young Max was forever looking for a steering wheel when standing in goal
  • Options
    Good for the sport.
  • Options

I will say though - imagine if it was Ricciardo or Alonso instead of Vettel in the Ferrari.

Yeah with Ricciardo or Alonso they might have won the race. As it was, with Vettel, they only won the race. Poor performance.

Rosberg is no more a champion than Webber was. At least Webber was reasonably likeable.