Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good god F1's become dull.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    IA said:

I will say though - imagine if it was Ricciardo or Alonso instead of Vettel in the Ferrari.

Yeah with Ricciardo or Alonso they might have won the race. As it was, with Vettel, they only won the race. Poor performance.

Rosberg is no more a champion than Webber was. At least Webber was reasonably likeable.
    I meant over the season - I think it is fair to say that I would expect both of them to extract even more from the car than Vettel on a more consistent basis. Raikonnen has been unlucky but has shown that he will bother Vettel this year which he never did Alonso. I think with the others in the car we would have an even more intense battle with Lewis on our hands (we need to see more evidence before we can claim that is happening already)
  • Options

IA said:

I will say though - imagine if it was Ricciardo or Alonso instead of Vettel in the Ferrari.

Yeah with Ricciardo or Alonso they might have won the race. As it was, with Vettel, they only won the race. Poor performance.

Rosberg is no more a champion than Webber was. At least Webber was reasonably likeable.
    I meant over the season - I think it is fair to say that I would expect both of them to extract even more from the car than Vettel on a more consistent basis. Raikonnen has been unlucky but has shown that he will bother Vettel this year which he never did Alonso. I think with the others in the car we would have an even more intense battle with Lewis on our hands (we need to see more evidence before we can claim that is happening already)
    There's no way to know that.

I believe that if they were teammates, Vettel would wipe the floor with Rosberg. Especially in last year's Mercedes. Again, impossible to prove.

I understand the argument that Hamilton and Alonso are better than Vettel. It's not an unreasonable opinion. But I don't understand why it has to be accompanied by these constant suggestions that Vettel is some poor driver who just happened to have a good car for 4 years.
  • Options
    Who won then
  • Options
    But, WOW, what a race MotoGP put on in Qatar! Valentino still doing the business, quite remarkable. With Iannone pulling 348.7 kph down the straight on one lap. (Or 216.7mph in old money.)
  • Options

As previously articulated, I don't watch it because it is duller than a grey, early spring eclipse morning, (mind you,some would say the same of my guilty pleasure - NHL), but just some thoughts/ideas that may heighten the viewers experience:

1. Refuelling - Forget pit stops, stick a couple of Shell Filling stations on the circuit and make each driver queue for fuel. Issue them some sort of rewards card and make them go into a kiosk to get the points added on after filling up.

2. Stick a couple of level crossings on each circuit and have an express train pass through every 20 minutes.

3. Create a 'countryside' driving experience on one part of the circuit and stick roaming livestock on it.

4. Create a 'town centre Saturday night kick out time' area on the circuit so the drivers' have to deal with stumbling/rambling shandy drinkers who can't handle their sherbert.

5. Devise the circuit in such a way that there are roundabouts on it, making drivers give way to those who have priority.

6. Chuck a couple of 'wide boy' 'white van man' vehicles on there with crap music blaring out and no consideration whatsoever for other road users as they drive like buffoons trying to impress their young 'apprentice' passengers.

Just some thoughts; got to be worth a try!!

really cant believe that this post didnt get more likes

• Options
    You know it's all fake right?

Sorry, wrong thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    cafcfan said:

But, WOW, what a race MotoGP put on in Qatar! Valentino still doing the business, quite remarkable. With Iannone pulling 348.7 kph down the straight on one lap. (Or 216.7mph in old money.)

Proper racing, F1 are just playing at it........
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Its a strange one with Vettel, last year was a disaster and he looked very average, but almost immediatly with a new car hes back to his old form, very peculiar.

Rosbergs dad didnt win as many races as Nico already has, and started out driving some really poor cars. Keke became world champion even though he probably wasnt the most gifted driver, instead he was a real hard, gritty, & determined racer. Nico doesnt seem to have the same mental strength and drive, perhaps he had it too easy getting to F1.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Its a strange one with Vettel, last year was a disaster and he looked very average, but almost immediatly with a new car hes back to his old form, very peculiar.

Rosbergs dad didnt win as many races as Nico already has, and started out driving some really poor cars. Keke became world champion even though he probably wasnt the most gifted driver, instead he was a real hard, gritty, & determined racer. Nico doesnt seem to have the same mental strength and drive, perhaps he had it too easy getting to F1.

Keke Rosberg was one of the last of the true old school. All the rules went out the window with him. I remember a clip of him smoking a fag in his car at Silverstone. Then strapping his helmet on a lapping at an average speed of over 160mph. Still the fastest lap ever.
  • Options
    Want to change the thread title as I have been thoroughly entertained - by the post race comments at least.

Three races in and Nico Rosberg has totally and utterly lost it. Crying like a baby because Lewis was driving too slowly, and let Vettel get too close to him. Erm Nico - you could always do what Lewis did in Austin (and Japan, and Italy etc etc) and just catch and pass him?! Lewis then drops the hammer and smashes it and Nico complains he is going too fast.

Totally ridiculous comments and a pathetic sportsman. Sky commentators are destroying him and the best bit?

Lewis in the press conference - "it's my job to drive my race as fast as possible - not make Nicos easier!"

All done with a cracking smirk on his face!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA said:

• Options
    F1 has been over sanitised and the days of oily, greasy pit lanes have disappeared for the worse.

I was a huge fan from James Hunt onwards and the Mansell/Prost/Senna era my favourite.

Something is sadly missing - racing and overtaking, for one but I think as we get older as individuals the excitement naturally dwindles - a bit, anyway.

Further to this, the droning, monotonous commentary of David Coulthard should be recorded and sold to insomniacs - God, he's a dull individual.
  • Options
    One thing I picked up, and its probably symptomatic of F1's current situation, was that at one stage it was 2 Mercs, 2 ferraris, 2 williams, 2 Saubers, 2 Lotus, 1force india (the other had retired) 2 toro rossos, 2 red bulls, 2 Mclarens then 2 Manors, which must show that its all down to the cars and not so much the drivers now.
  • Options
    Nico is done
  • Options
    Jackie Stewart on talk sport last week was brilliant a real insight to the times when motor racing was deadly, if you can get to hear it on the pod cast you should if all forms of motor sport is your thing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I think if you listened to Rosberg's pre race comments he was talking about the effect degredation of the tyres would have. What Hamilton did was be extra cautious and preserve the tyres which took tyre wear out of the equation. He was leading and it was his perogative. If he didn't mind losing, he could have raced away and run the risk of his tyres going before Rosberg's and losing the race. Rosberg, if he was so bothered about the position of the team could have said he would not overtake Hamilton if he picked up his pace - in the interests of the team in whatever code they use :). But he was disapointed not because it brought the Ferrari closer to him, but it prevented him having any chance of catching Hamilton. Most, apart from Rosberg would say good driving and Rosberg needs to get Pole to be in a position to dictate the race to suit himself, which is all Hamilton did. But when Hamilton is chasing, he finds a way more often than Rosberg does anyway.

Would probably have been better shutting up, or keeping it behind closed door. If the team decide the two cant work together, they will always go with the quicker driver. Ok, it might not make so much difference now, but when gaps close, you need the edge of somebody like Hamilton to make the difference.
  • Options
    Hahaha Nico! That is a full on headloss. Love it.
  • Options
    Amazing ! - Martin Brundle on the grid just butted in to interview the Royal Highness of Bahrain then butts in to interview the King of Spain standing next to him ! - then interviews Will Stevens - what a comedown !
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hopeful of a good race today, although it says a lot about modern F1 that last years race, which involved Rosberg and Hamilton having just two or three goes at overtaking each other, is being held up as some kind of all time classic race.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decent race today, Lewis still in a league of his own but Ferrari making a challenge again. Rosberg was a bit racier but doesn't look like he's going to be able to get near Lewis this season. It all hinges on Ferrari continuing to develop their car faster than the Mercs, but Hamilton is probably already too far in front for either Vettel to catch him.
  • Options
    After just 4 races? Blimey they might as well give the money for the engines to charity and forget the next 15 races then! ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hamilton is in imperious form. Says it all that Rosberg is being given credit for showing some fight, yet he was still nowhere near Lewis all weekend.

If Ferrari close in later in the season then Mercedes will have no choice but to prioritise Lewis in the team as he is so much faster.
  • Options
    Red Bull now saying they will quit - unless they can persuade Audi to build an engine for them!

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32688667
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Red Bull now saying they will quit - unless they can persuade Audi to build an engine for them!

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32688667

They didn't seem too worried when they were winning every week and now that they can't win they are leaving?

Class!
  • Options
    Cannot stand that team - they are worse than Ferrari used to be for trying to manipulate the governing bodies and Christian Horner has one of the most punchable faces in sport.

It's clearly not all about the Renault engine as Torro Rosso are getting more out of it than Red Bull either. The engine is clearly weak, but it was last year too and they still managed 3 wins. I think they've just designed a dog of a car this year and with a weaker engine too there is nowhere to hide.

Not sure why they are so convinced getting Audi involved will solve everything anyway. Look at the trouble Honda are having and they have a long history in F1 and were also one of the pioneers of hybrids in road cars, whereas Audi's motorsport division has focussed on diesels. Hard to see them coming and building a race winning engine right of the bat.
  • Options

I never understood why Footballers get paid so much. It can't be that hard to Kick a football every Saturday afternoon.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    So smudge cant understand why F1 drivers are paid so much! Really?

Its not hard to understand, theres still a bloody good chance of injury or death!, ( Jules Bianchi / Robert Kubica / Henry Surtees recent casualties) and there is a very limited pool of talent who can do it extremely well. A good driver can compensate for a cars lack of performance (ie Senna in the Toleman at Monaco or in the McLaren at Donnington) and it costs a lot of money to engineer the same performance hike. I doubt if Smudge would be able to drive at 150 mph through the bend in the tunnel at Monaco, I know having walked through it that I couldnt do half that speed whatever I was driving.

The driver is one of the four essential elements of performance alongside Chassis, Engine and Tyres. Only the top half dozen of the top fifty drivers in the world earn the top money ( Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Kimi, Jenson,) the rest have either to pay through bringing sponsorship or are on footballer wages.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I never understood why F1 drivers get paid so much. It can't be that hard to drive a fast car for a couple of hours every other Sunday afternoon.

They are supremely fit and committed sportsmen. Jenson Button recently did a casual London Marathon in between races in pretty competitive time. As Halix said your life is on the line every time you race. Think they are worth their money more than footballers that's for sure. Also Hamiltons upcoming £100m deal reflects his status as one of the most marketable sports stars of his generation. He is box office.