Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Budget 2015

Comments

• Options
    'Cut in the lifetime pension allowance from £1.25m to £1m'

Is that per annum?
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Jints said:

I think he is the most interesting and effective Tory cabinet member.

Yeah but he still looks like the smelly kid at school who used to shit himself.
    They all do though don't they? Modern politicians pah. I do not differentiate between left, right or middle, I just want to punch them in their smug faces...
    Osborne does look like the model for smug bastard in Viz

• Options
    edited March 2015
    WSS said:

£40m to repair church roofs?

Pretty sure they have enough cash stored away to do it themselves. Hope they supply the same amount for mosques and synagogues.
    *Runs away*

It is obviously a back handed way of supporting members of the traveling community. After all, more lead more...

*Runs even further away*
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Is that per annum?

I think the clue is in the name.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Addickted said:

Is that per annum?

Whhhoooooooosssssssshhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Addickted said:

Is that per annum?

This is the limit of pension value, not contributions, which escapes tax at retirement. £1m equates to an annual pension of around £50k or less.
  • Options
    CAFCFAN, you didn't show us a UCAP.
  • Options
    WSS said:

£40m to repair church roofs?

Pretty sure they have enough cash stored away to do it themselves. Hope they supply the same amount for mosques and synagogues.
    *Runs away*

And you're supposed to Moderate ?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

colthe3rd said:

Addickted said:

Is that per annum?

Whhhoooooooosssssssshhhhhhhhh

U wot m8?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    lol nice to see politics treated like tribal football
    Jints said:

Guardian's collection of predictions from the press, based on briefings

A new system for filing tax returns
    Raising the personal allowance to £11,000
    A £40m fund to repair church and cathedral roofs
    Loans of up to £25,000 for PhD students
    An increase in the levy on banks
    Cut in the lifetime pension allowance from £1.25m to £1m
    Relaxing defict reduction plans, to stop Labour being able to claim he would take spending down to 1930s levels
    An extra £25m for the security services

I'm expecting a clever, political (but reasonably subtle) budget. Since the omnishambles budget of a few years ago, Osborne has risen in my opinion as an imaginative political operator. There's no doubt that he is as powerful in this Government as Brown was in Blair's. Along with May, I think he is the most interesting and effective Tory cabinet member.

Pity he can't multiply 7 by 8.
    The world really has gone mad if people think this overprivileged posh buffoon is the most interesting and effective Tory cabinet member.
  • Options
    Jints said:

colthe3rd said:

Jints said:

They all do though don't they? Modern politicians pah. I do not differentiate between left, right or middle, I just want to punch them in their smug faces...

Most of them look like something out of the Beano though. You can't tell me that Millitwat wasn't created in the offices of D C Thomson & Co...
  • Options

Jints said:

colthe3rd said:

Jints said:

Most of them look like something out of the Beano though. You can't tell me that Millitwat wasn't created in the offices of D C Thomson & Co...
    He does look utterly gormless and is as close to unelectable as I can recall a major party leader being.

• Options
    All I'm interested in is how much it's gonna cost extra in petrol to drive to the shops, to find out my fags have gone up to then decide I need a pint after the shock to find out that's also gone up and so the pub is shutting down.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Addickted said:

Thought I'd get this in early. You know what us 'lefty, Guardianista' are like, wouldn't want to disappoint any of our frothing right wing contingent :smile:

It's called a ministerial box not a briefcase.

If you're going to try an insult someone at least don't make yourself look a thicko when you do it.

Is everything so literal in your world? Like I'm going to take the time to correct a meme I nicked from google images in ten seconds just to make it factually correct. It was a satirical post, nothing more. You want to try and not make yourself look a condescending prick Einstein.
  • Options
    i'm looking forward to scrutinising the promised clampdown on tax avoidance.

If he announces the following simple measures

1.Increase the HMRC budget to attract a new elite group of teams which have some chance of taking on the Deloittes and their clients

2. Reduce the number of little jobsworths pursuing people like many on this forum.

3. An aggressive new KPI system for HMRC which is based on revenue collected, not number of cases opened. Big bonuses for success.

then I will be seriously impressed. I don't expect anything that concrete. It will be airy fairy words, and in a few years time when the big tax avoidance is still going on, he will blame it all on HMRC.

• Options

lol nice to see politics treated like tribal football

Pity he can't multiply 7 by 8.
    The world really has gone mad if people think this overprivileged posh buffoon is the most interesting and effective Tory cabinet member.

He says, treating politics like a tribal football.

For the record, I've never voted Tory and doubt if I ever will. But I try to park my partisanship at the door when evaluating the political effectiveness of politicians. I don't like Osborne's policies as a whole, but he's a quite brilliant political tactician = up there with Blair and Salmon as the best of the last 20 years.

• Options

1.Increase the HMRC budget to attract a new elite group of teams which have some chance of taking on the Deloittes and their clients

2. Reduce the number of little jobsworths pursuing people like many on this forum.

3. An aggressive new KPI system for HMRC which is based on revenue collected, not number of cases opened. Big bonuses for success.

then I will be seriously impressed. I don't expect anything that concrete. It will be airy fairy words, and in a few years time when the big tax avoidance is still going on, he will blame it all on HMRC.

Won't happen.
    At best will mention a review.
  • Options

Won't happen.
    Well that didn't take long:

Tax avoidance crackdown to raise £3.1bn

Osborne announces various measures on tax avoidance and tax evasion.

£3.1bn to be raised from new measures on tax avoidance and evasion.

Crackdown my arse. £3.1bn is half what Harkness 'forgave' Vodafone alone. Complete charlatan, hypocrite, and liar
  • Options
    Diverted profits tax, alleged to raise £3bn+. Be interesting to see the details.

Review of Deeds of Variation for wills. Naked political attach on Ed M, there. Pretty naff.

Increase in bank levy. Reduction in pension allowance as per Guardian predictions above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015

Won't happen.
    ... Complete charlatan, hypocrite, and liar
    Of course Prague......he's an MP.
    Good budget though.
  • Options

Won't happen.
    Well that didn't take long:

Tax avoidance crackdown to raise £3.1bn

Osborne announces various measures on tax avoidance and tax evasion.

£3.1bn to be raised from new measures on tax avoidance and evasion.

Crackdown my arse. £3.1bn is half what Harkness 'forgave' Vodafone alone. Complete charlatan, hypocrite, and liar
    does everything have to come back to RD in the end ;-))

• Options
    Nearly time for Balls bingo. Lets go for:

- cost of living crisis
    - NHS
    - tax cuts for the rich
    - bankers/mates in the city
    - failed
    - same old Tories
    - HSBC
  • Options
    Labour really worried, Tories cosying up to the poor and the northerners.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Thought I'd get this in early. You know what us 'lefty, Guardianista' are like, wouldn't want to disappoint any of our frothing right wing contingent :smile:

It's called a ministerial box not a briefcase.

If you're going to try an insult someone at least don't make yourself look a thicko when you do it.

Is everything so literal in your world? Like I'm going to take the time to correct a meme I nicked from google images in ten seconds just to make it factually correct. It was a satirical post, nothing more. You want to try and not make yourself look a condescending prick Einstein.
    So calling the Chancellor of the Exchequer wanker is 'satirical'?

• Options
    Bit confused by annual tax return and n.i class 2 being abolished. Don't we already have a digital return system and how else will self employed like me contribute to N.I?
  • Options

Bit confused by annual tax return and n.i class 2 being abolished. Don't we already have a digital return system and how else will self employed like me contribute to N.I?

Assume it's a development of the PAYE system that is now paperless. Earnings are collected from employer monthly files and could be transferred to your tax record. All the data we put in out tax return we get from the same record the employer has already sent to HMRC.

Agree can't see how it obviously makes it simpler for self-employed who don't do electronic monthly PAYE returns.
  • Options
    I think (not sure) it's abolition of employer's NI contributions for the self-employed.
  • Options
    Self employed Class 2 is a fixed monthly payment £2.75, Class 4 NI is paid on profits at the end of the year and is really no different from income tax.