Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Budget 2015

124»

Comments

• Options

His usual smooth self but didn't really answer any of the points raised.

Hold the front page...."POLITICIAN DODGES QUESTIONS" :wink:
    Ha, ha. I'm well aware that every politician ducks and dives like Del Boy on the witness stand. But when you are the Chancellor and asked a very simple question like when will you tell us how these £12b of savings, in the welfare budget alone, are going to be made it's taking the squirming and wriggling to the next level.

Just look at this thread for example. Not one post yesterday focussed on the proposed cuts to public spending which impact on all our lives (unless you live off the land in a cave somewhere).

But there will be people out there today completely unaware we are staring down the barrel of cuts unprecedented even under this government. I'm not apologising for thinking he should/could have been more upfront at least about when we might get to hear more about this, let alone the details themselves.
  • Options
    The OBR says another £12bn cuts required. Osborne refusing to say where they will come from and accusing the OBR of engaging in rhetoric (even though he set the body up to do precisely what it is doing, one of the best things he did IMO).

Balls/Labour have straightjacketed themselves by broadly following the Tory plan in the medium term for lowering the deficit. So they have to answer the same question.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

The prospect of Ed Balls as chancellor scares me as much as the prospect of Osborne for the next 5 years.

It really is Sophie's choice.

I am pleased with the first time buyers ISA that puts in £50 for every £200 you save. Maybe there is hope for me yet that I could one day afford to buy a flat round the corner from the Valley.
  • Options
    As if it makes much difference whether we have pain from Public Sector cuts from Labour or Tory.

Choosing between them is like being asked do you want 3 lashes a day for a week or all 21 today. On your arse, on your back or spread around sir?
  • Options
    The problem is, without a significant increase in house-building, the 1st time buyers ISA isn't really going to be much help, because any increase in demand is just going to push the prices up. And unless prices fall, the sums involved are tiny compared to the kind of deposit you're going to need.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

The problem is, without a significant increase in house-building, the 1st time buyers ISA isn't really going to be much help, because any increase in demand is just going to push the prices up. And unless prices fall, the sums involved are tiny compared to the kind of deposit you're going to need.

That's exactly what they want though. The country needs significant but affordable housing being built. But that would cost money and potentially lower house prices and in turn costing them votes. Politically it isn't a big deal for them, keep house prices inflated and keep the core voters happy and ignore the younger public and what they actually need.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

The prospect of Ed Balls as chancellor scares me as much as the prospect of Osborne for the next 5 years.

Not a fan of Osborne but the thought of Balls being there is terrifying
  • Options
    I thought it was a good budget which carried on the good work over the last 3/4 years.

Would have been easy to throw a few sweeteners in just to win the election and then undo all the good work that he has done rescuing the country from financial ruin.

It would have been exactly what Ed Balls would have done if he was in control and is exactly the reason why I could never vote for a labour government to run our economy.

It might not be enough to win because you can never underestimate the vote of a jobless northerner...
  • Options
    In London "penny off a pint" basically means "buy 399 pints, get one pint free!"

I'll take it.
  • Options

I thought it was a good budget which carried on the good work over the last 3/4 years.

Would have been easy to throw a few sweeteners in just to win the election and then undo all the good work that he has done rescuing the country from financial ruin.

It would have been exactly what Ed Balls would have done if he was in control and is exactly the reason why I could never vote for a labour government to run our economy.

It might not be enough to win because you can never underestimate the vote of a jobless northerner...

Got to love a biased view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rescuing the country from financial ruin.

I'm not sure even Dave would go that far.
  • Options

Agree with this 100pc. Country is getting back on the straight and narrow. No need to change that now and hopefully the good work can continue post election.
  • Options

Agree with this 100pc. Country is getting back on the straight and narrow. No need to change that now and hopefully the good work can continue post election.
    How many of Osborne's long term targets has he hit?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Danny's LibDem yellow box alternative has taken a photoshop hammering on twitter. What was he thinking.

• Options

How many of Osborne's long term targets has he hit?
    Bearing in mind the state we were in when he took over, any progress will do for me. I liken it to RD taking over from the chuckle brothers. We may not be in the Prem yet, but we are slowly working our way towards it. I certainly wouldn't want things back to how they were 3 years ago in league 1. I am happy with mid table championship even if that's not the final goal.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

DA9 said:

I was there today, sat through PMQ's and the budget and Millibands responses, Labour looked lost and had no real legitimate responses

@DA9 Did you enjoy the experience? Is there anything else you can say about the whole "bear pit" thing? Is it really as rowdy as it looks on the TV when they show snippets?
    Loved it, All very pantomime, and very rowdy, like a naughty boys dorm.
  • Options
    edited March 2015