Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Budget 2015

Comments

• Options
    "The Budget confirmed plans to switch to "digital tax accounts" by 2020, ending the annual rush to file a tax return.

Instead, individuals and small businesses will submit accounts throughout the year via computer, tablet or smartphone.

Mr Osborne called it "a revolutionary simplification of tax collection".

People will be able to pay their tax at any point throughout the year.

They will also be able to spread the cost by paying in instalments.

Taxpayers will be given a login and password so they can submit tax information regularly, making tax bills more closely related to current performance."

This is a good idea, especially for those like myself who are self-employed.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Diverted profits tax, alleged to raise £3bn+. Be interesting to see the details.

Review of Deeds of Variation for wills. Naked political attach on Ed M, there. Pretty naff.

Increase in bank levy. Reduction in pension allowance as per Guardian predictions above.

Diverted Profits Tax could well be negative for Britain overall. It depends how other countries react to what Osborne is hoping will be a pre-emptive strike in advance of the results of the ongoing international BEPS discussions. Of course, it is done to appease the media fuelled perception that the UK is the main loser from corporate tax avoidance. That is not necessarily the case!

We need a solution to corporate avoidance but it does need to be an OECD co-ordinated solution.
  • Options
    For the first time in my life I have watch the Budget programme, and I thought GO quite articulate, he wiped the smile off EB's face a few times, and found EM response quite sad, if his main policy for the election is the NHS. I will take a lot of convincing to vote for either party but living in a Labour stronghold my vote will not make much difference.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Thought I'd get this in early. You know what us 'lefty, Guardianista' are like, wouldn't want to disappoint any of our frothing right wing contingent :smile:

It's called a ministerial box not a briefcase.

If you're going to try an insult someone at least don't make yourself look a thicko when you do it.

Is everything so literal in your world? Like I'm going to take the time to correct a meme I nicked from google images in ten seconds just to make it factually correct. It was a satirical post, nothing more. You want to try and not make yourself look a condescending prick Einstein.
    So calling the Chancellor of the Exchequer wanker is 'satirical'?

It was 'briefcase wanker' and yes.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Thought I'd get this in early. You know what us 'lefty, Guardianista' are like, wouldn't want to disappoint any of our frothing right wing contingent :smile:

If you're going to try an insult someone at least don't make yourself look a thicko when you do it.

Is everything so literal in your world? Like I'm going to take the time to correct a meme I nicked from google images in ten seconds just to make it factually correct. It was a satirical post, nothing more. You want to try and not make yourself look a condescending prick Einstein.

It was 'briefcase wanker' and yes.
    And I thought Russell Brand had given up politics, oh well.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

"The Budget confirmed plans to switch to "digital tax accounts" by 2020, ending the annual rush to file a tax return.

Instead, individuals and small businesses will submit accounts throughout the year via computer, tablet or smartphone.

Taxpayers will be given a login and password so they can submit tax information regularly, making tax bills more closely related to current performance."

Hopefully this will make it easier for these forgetful Amazon, Vodafone and GMG executives to pay their taxes. Maybe the head of HMRC could go round to their houses and show them how to use it?
  • Options

2. Reduce the number of little jobsworths pursuing people like many on this forum.

Not sure if I'm a jobsworth or a tax evader :-)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

stonemuse said:

Hopefully this will make it easier for these forgetful Amazon, Vodafone and GMG executives to pay their taxes. Maybe the head of HMRC could go round to their houses and show them how to use it?
    Unlikely :wink:
  • Options
    The 'help to buy a house' ISA is a terrific and innovative idea .. all in all this budget looks well thought out and constructed without being either radical or a give it all away bribe
  • Options
    But class 2 was basically going to be abolished anyway as they stopped letting you create a new direct debit and I got a letter saying my small earnings certificate would no longer be valid after April because of changes. So nothing new there. Just personally think a direct debit is easier than a lump sum at the end of the year. But there we go.

If it's something you can update whenever that sounds like a good idea, almost removes the need for an accountant or accountancy software. Saves the end of January stressathon anyway.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

2. Reduce the number of little jobsworths pursuing people like many on this forum.

Not sure if I'm a jobsworth or a tax evader :-)
    Sorry! I was referring to too many low level tax officials pursing small traders and individuals over pittances, as several people describe here from time to time.
  • Options
    Any help offered to the sick who have been sanctioned off of benefits and now rely on food banks to survive?
    Any help for the young who have been sanctioned off of benefits and now rely on food banks to survive?
    Any help for the low paid/zero hours who now rely on food banks to survive?
  • Options

The 'help to buy a house' ISA is a terrific and innovative idea .. all in all this budget looks well thought out and constructed without being either radical or a give it all away bribe

Anything to keep house prices inflated eh?
  • Options

The expected pension reforms scare the life out of me. I spoke to a group of IFA's recently who viewed the upcoming drawdown provisions as "carnage" waiting to happen. People seriously under estimate how long they live for and how much money they will require. Providing easy access to ones pension pot is going to put many people in a very vulnerable position and at risk of getting ripped off through dodgy investment schemes, other fraud and frankly their own financial incompetence.

Osborne now is going to allow those with an existing annuity to cash it in too, therefore creating a market in poorly performing, second hand annuities. I have doubts the consumer will end up in overall credit by the end of the transaction but they may experience a short term "feel good factor" I suppose.

It seems the government have taken a very short term view on this rather than sort out a market that is not working in the interests of its customers on many occasions.

I come across this issue quite a bit at work - this was a useful albeit brief summary

http://www.aspirafp.co.uk/aspira-inform/articles/why-retirement-options-just-got-more-complicated-october-2014

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Oh I'm sorry, did I not show enough reverence to him? I didn't realise I should doff my cap to someone I have no respect for just because he holds a role in Government. Obviously I don't know my place.
  • Options
    Reduction in the Pension Lifetime Allowance will affect most of my clients (mainly doctors) and glad that there will be protection that can be put in place for those already above the £1m cap.......lots more work for me !!!
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited March 2015
    I was there today, sat through PMQ's and the budget and Millibands responses, Labour looked lost and had no real legitimate responses
  • Options

Any help offered to the sick who have been sanctioned off of benefits and now rely on food banks to survive?
    Any help for the young who have been sanctioned off of benefits and now rely on food banks to survive?

A free one way ticket to Paris?
  • Options

Any help
    for the low paid/zero hours who now rely on food banks to survive?

More food banks.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Anything to keep house prices inflated eh?
    Maximum "bonus" of £3k per person and only awarded when buying houses for less than £250k outside of London (£450k in London).

Nice offer and every little helps and all that but look deeper and it's not that great considering the deposits you need to secure a mortgage currently.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

I was there today, sat through PMQ's and the budget and Millibands responses, Labour looked list and had no real legitimate responses

Would love to be in the gallery for these sort of days
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I was there today, sat through PMQ's and the budget and Millibands responses, Labour looked list and had no real legitimate responses

What - Brahms and List? :)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

DA9 said:

What - Brahms and Liszt? :)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

DA9 said:

What - Brahms and List? :)
    Edited lol
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I was there today, sat through PMQ's and the budget and Millibands responses, Labour looked lost and had no real legitimate responses

@DA9 Did you enjoy the experience? Is there anything else you can say about the whole "bear pit" thing? Is it really as rowdy as it looks on the TV when they show snippets?
  • Options
    Just heard Osborne on the Today programme.

Basically dodged every question about where the proposed savings are going to be made or even answer whether or not we would be told before the election. Or if he even had a plan but wouldn't tell us. Or comment on the fact that he's only at the same point in terms of deficit reduction that Labour said they would be at by now, which was described at the time by David Cameron as being "moral cowardice".

His usual smooth self but didn't really answer any of the points raised.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Just heard Osborne on the Today programme.

Basically dodged every question about where the proposed savings are going to be made or even answer whether or not we would be told before the election. Or if he even had a plan but wouldn't tell us. Or comment on the fact that he's only at the same point in terms of deficit reduction that Labour said they would be at by now, which was described at the time by David Cameron as being "moral cowardice".

Lucky you BA,

Had the misfortune to hear Ed Balls on R4 this morning basically dodge every question about where the proposed savings are going to be made or even answer whether or not we would be told before the election. Or if he even had a plan but wouldn't tell us.

His usual laughable self but didn't answer any of the points raised.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Hold the front page...."POLITICIAN DODGES QUESTIONS" :wink:
  • Options
    Apparently Danny Alexander has now joined in with not saying where proposed savings would be made (in the laughably unlikely event that he was a Lib Dem Chancellor). Not sure why he has even bothered with this.
  • Options
    The prospect of Ed Balls as chancellor scares me as much as the prospect of Osborne for the next 5 years.