Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CEO on Radio 4 this evening (Thursday 19th)

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

brogib said:

Kap10 said:

She sounded good, but a bit of a shallow program really, but then can't really expect much in depth coverage in 1/2 an hour. Good that we should be included on such a program.

I wonder what Scudamore is texting to his friends about our CEO now.

We were an answer on The Chaser the other day an all, blew me away
    The Chaser?
    It's The Chase lol.
  • Options
    After That Terrible week when she had the opposite of the Midas touch.
    Katrien has gained ground back by never hiding, plus the players recently that have come into the club have put us into a mid table comfort zone.
    I have always felt that the present owner and the last didn't want Cafc fans to work full time for the club because there would be more chance of whistle blowing when internal decisions were made which were detrimental to the Team.

Now after hearing Katrien say not only does she love her job(not every week !)
    But loves supporting the Team, I wonder if the fan and the CEO that Katrien says she is, can work in unison. ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

This will be int

TelMc32 said:

Just listened in. Really impressive & like the way she wants to work hard to plug that £2-3m gap rather than rely on handouts from PL. Came across really well, in good company.

My downside from that is the impression that German clubs are moving away from their model of club/fan ownership of 50% + 1 vote.
    That was the slant that Evan Davies took on it, and I was very surprised that he did that. In fact, the only new development the Cologne guy mentioned was at Hannover. Leverkusen and Wolfsburg have always been "works" teams. I know that the Hannover proposal prompted huge fan demos across Germany so it would be interesting to get more background on the news that they have apparently won. One possible answer is that the German guy, who spoke well and was very likeable, nevertheless represents what we might call the Scudamore wing of German football.

As we will explain in a Trust article on Jena, which should be out today, one of the businessmen who has learnt to live with 50+1 is Roland Duchatelet.

I agree with @rikofold that Katrien stood up well to Scudamore and exposed the financial reality of the Championship to a wider audience. Scudamore himself skillfully concealed what a ***** he is until the final minutes when he said that the lousy state of grass roots football is down to local authorities and it is they who should be spending the money to fix the problem.

But in a short programme that covered a lot of ground, Evan Davies swerved round the elephant in the room. Why is the FAPL allowed to even exist as a separate entity and therefore control all the money when as the Cologne guy mentioned , in Germany it is the German FA which negotiates and distributes the money?
    Yes I'd forgotten about this particular nugget. Of course it used to be the FA that handled all this before the now Premier League clubs took over. Of course the FA were failing the game, and the FAPL proved that considerably more revenue was available to football if it was properly marketed. Unfortunately, the few wanted to keep all the money for themselves, and even now the majority of the money given away stays with former members, the relegated clubs.

And of course it's all led to what Scudamore indicated was the value of football for the FAPL - the players. That's where all the money really goes, after all. Actually mate, fans really don't think that the transfer window is more important than the competition itself. But then when did the FAPL give any consideration to the fans at all?

So fair play to Katrien that she stood up for what the game is really all about: the competition, and if I might paraphrase her other points, the ability of your team to compete on a level playing field with the others.
  • Options
    Only 135 million out of 5 billion trickle down the leagues to grass roots in England.
    In the Bundesliga 2 they get 20% of the money from Budesliga 1.
    That's a whole different ball game to the premier fat cats who despite all their wealth
    can't get one team to the quarter finals of a European competition this season.

Katrien stock is rising even if the words may be a bit depressing for CAFC fans who want to see us in the Premiership any time soon.
  • Options
    Good showing by Katrien. Her point about the attraction of the competition verses Scudamores nonsense about the players being stars, and now the managers, and how transfer deadline day is so exciting, showed his mindset up to being one of an absolute wanaker. I bet he gets a juicy cut of any deal anyway.
    Well done to KM, and the bloke from Cologne.
  • Options

Katrien stock is rising even if the words may be a bit depressing for CAFC fans who want to see us in the Premiership any time soon.

She said that to keep the price down for our Summer targets
  • Options

Kap10 said:

brogib said:

Kap10 said:

She sounded good, but a bit of a shallow program really, but then can't really expect much in depth coverage in 1/2 an hour. Good that we should be included on such a program.

I wonder what Scudamore is texting to his friends about our CEO now.

We were an answer on The Chaser the other day an all, blew me away
    The Chaser?
    It's The Chase lol.
    Is that what it's called? Always thought it was The Chaser, better tell me missus an all.
  • Options
    The Chaser sounds better imo
  • Options
    brogib said:

Agreed big man, definitely got a touch of class about it. :wink:
  • Options
    brogib said:

I'd prefer Chase Me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

brogib said:

I'd prefer Chase Me.

Said in a camp novvern accent
  • Options
    Just listened on iplayer .. very interesting and enlightening .. it's nice to know that our CEO is a very clever lady, well versed in finance and marketing, who also happens to be a football fan .. particularly liked the notion of a very small 'board' that is able to move quickly when major decisions need to be taken .. like the signings of Johnson, Eagles et al just when we were in danger of getting far to close to the relegation places for comfort .. good stuff
  • Options
    Think they show it on the BBC news channel over the weekend remember seeing it once
  • Options
    Scudamore comments have gone down like a cup of cold sick in community sports organisations
  • Options

This will be int

TelMc32 said:

Just listened in. Really impressive & like the way she wants to work hard to plug that £2-3m gap rather than rely on handouts from PL. Came across really well, in good company.

My downside from that is the impression that German clubs are moving away from their model of club/fan ownership of 50% + 1 vote.
    That was the slant that Evan Davies took on it, and I was very surprised that he did that. In fact, the only new development the Cologne guy mentioned was at Hannover. Leverkusen and Wolfsburg have always been "works" teams. I know that the Hannover proposal prompted huge fan demos across Germany so it would be interesting to get more background on the news that they have apparently won. One possible answer is that the German guy, who spoke well and was very likeable, nevertheless represents what we might call the Scudamore wing of German football.

As we will explain in a Trust article on Jena, which should be out today, one of the businessmen who has learnt to live with 50+1 is Roland Duchatelet.

I agree with @rikofold that Katrien stood up well to Scudamore and exposed the financial reality of the Championship to a wider audience. Scudamore himself skillfully concealed what a ***** he is until the final minutes when he said that the lousy state of grass roots football is down to local authorities and it is they who should be spending the money to fix the problem.

But in a short programme that covered a lot of ground, Evan Davies swerved round the elephant in the room. Why is the FAPL allowed to even exist as a separate entity and therefore control all the money when as the Cologne guy mentioned , in Germany it is the German FA which negotiates and distributes the money?
    He lost me when he said that they had to give the bigger clubs more money so that they could compete in Europe.

Interested that KM did not mention Break-Even objective, which makes me feel more that Break-Even is an aspiration and may even quietly disappear.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

This will be int

TelMc32 said:

He lost me when he said that they had to give the bigger clubs more money so that they could compete in Europe.

Interested that KM did not mention Break-Even objective, which makes me feel more that Break-Even is an aspiration and may even quietly disappear.
    And the reason he wants to do well in Europe is to trumpet the Premier League as the 'best in the world', and have a platform to hoover up even more money for the few.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Kap10 said:

This will be int

TelMc32 said:

And the reason he wants to do well in Europe is to trumpet the Premier League as the 'best in the world', and have a platform to hoover up even more money for the few.
    That went well fro him this season didn't it :-)
  • Options
    Just listened to podcast of programme thought Katrien done really well
    So out of a whooping £5b plus the premiere league got for the television rights they give away 15% of that amount to body's outside of the premier league . These bodies includes all league clubs outside the premier league however upon being questioned how the figures work out it seems that of the £270m they give away to non premier league bodies half of it £135m goes to the 3 relegated premier league clubs so in fact they only give 7.5% to the rest of the league clubs and below, leaving the remainder 85% going to the premier league teams with the top clubs getting most of the money. When the guests were asked what do you think is footballs best assets Katrien answer was the fans. Richard Scudamores answer was the players and then the managers now these a surprise. What would football do without Richard (Robin Hood) Scudamores and his premier league mates
  • Options

So out of a whooping £5b plus the premiere league got for the television rights they give away 15% of that amount to body's outside of the premier league . These bodies includes all league clubs outside the premier league however upon being questioned how the figures work out it seems that of the £270m they give away to non premier league bodies half of it £135m goes to the 3 relegated premier league clubs so in fact they only give 7.5% to the rest of the league clubs and below, leaving the remainder 85% going to the premier league teams with the top clubs getting most of the money. When the guests were asked what do you think is footballs best assets Katrien answer was the fans. Richard Scudamores answer was the players and then the managers now these a surprise. What would football do without Richard (Robin Hood) Scudamores and his premier league mates

do we expect BP, Shell, Apple, IBM, Ford, V W or any other major organisation to give away 7.5% of their income (before tax?) to 'charity' ? .. like it or not, the Premier League is primarily a business, the fact that the 'product' is sports based is purely incidental
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah I thought Katriene did well, Scudamore's defence of the way the Premier League shares it's money around was paper thin.

• Options
    It sounded like Scudamore was talking about a circus. then that's what the Premier league has become.

As some who has no political alliance, the fact that Man City's average wage for their squad is 100K a week with some of them on double that. Could they not make sure that people who work at the club earn the £7.85P an hour wage (UK living wage)

Man city say they have no control over contracted workers.(how about in house and pay their staff £10 an hour, they can afford it)

I used City as an example as they have the highest average wage in the Premier.
  • Options
    Ffp loosening killed any notion of break even imho
  • Options
    razil said:

Ffp loosening killed any notion of break even imho

I think it made it even more unlikely, it could never happen in the context of Break Even and competitive Championship club, I can see it happening with a Premiership promotion and a yo yo existence.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

So considering the billions making their way into to the Premier League, the FA can afford to grab some of that money and convert it into grass roots footy. It would be, after all, re-investing in both the players and spectators of the future.

This shows what a complete and utter ringpiece Scudamore is, and just how money-grabbing and tightwad the FA and Premier League are.

While I completely agree with the sentiments of you post, it's really important that people understand; the FA has no power whatsoever to grab any of that money. the shameful 1991 deal which created the FAPL meant the FA surrendered any control over the money. Scudamore thinks he created this money and it is his and "his 20 members" right to decide whether they give any of this money away. In Germany the Association handles TV rights and how the money is distributed, not the Bundesliga.

That is why I keep doing the broken record thing; the FAPL as a separate entity needs to be abolished.
  • Options

So considering the billions making their way into to the Premier League, the FA can afford to grab some of that money and convert it into grass roots footy. It would be, after all, re-investing in both the players and spectators of the future.

This shows what a complete and utter ringpiece Scudamore is, and just how money-grabbing and tightwad the FA and Premier League are.

While I completely agree with the sentiments of you post, it's really important that people understand; the FA has no power whatsoever to grab any of that money. the shameful 1991 deal which created the FAPL meant the FA surrendered any control over the money. Scudamore thinks he created this money and it is his and "his 20 members" right to decide whether they give any of this money away. In Germany the Association handles TV rights and how the money is distributed, not the Bundesliga.

That is why I keep doing the broken record thing; the FAPL as a separate entity needs to be abolished.
    Love the sentiment but I just don't see how. It would be nice to think political pressure, but even if "the fans" united I am pretty sure that FA Premier League would have enough political contacts and probably party donations fore the fans not to matter.
  • Options

do we expect BP, Shell, Apple, IBM, Ford, V W or any other major organisation to give away 7.5% of their income (before tax?) to 'charity' ? .. like it or not, the Premier League is primarily a business, the fact that the 'product' is sports based is purely incidental
    The difference being that the Premier League isn't a different business from the Football League, where clubs are permanently in one league or another. The struggles of relegated teams shows how falling out of the PL can destroy their finances, even with parachute payments, due to the disparities in funding.
    Of the bottom 4 in the Championship, 3 I believe will have had parachute payments this season. It can't be healthy for relegation out of the PL to mean financial disaster if you don't go up quickly
  • Options

Katrien's answer was 'the competition' to be accurate, but that is much closer to the average football supporter's heart. The question was about where the value lies for the clubs, drawing a comparison with Volkswagen where the value was clearly in their product.

Yes, Scudamore absolutely said that the value for the Premier League was in its players , and he justified it by saying (paraphrase) that fans enjoy the transfer window more than any other aspect of the season. Patent bollocks, but he has to believe that because for the Premier League he's absolutely correct - the value is in the players, and that's where all the money goes.

The FAPL is everything that's wrong with a British game that really should be leading the way - but that's left to Germany, who have the balance generally right (even though the Cologne president obviously wasn't a fan of the ownership model). Clubs are owned by the fans, with commercial entities essentially investors.
  • Options

The difference being that the Premier League isn't a different business from the Football League, where clubs are permanently in one league or another. The struggles of relegated teams shows how falling out of the PL can destroy their finances, even with parachute payments, due to the disparities in funding.
    Of the bottom 4 in the Championship, 3 I believe will have had parachute payments this season. It can't be healthy for relegation out of the PL to mean financial disaster if you don't go up quickly
    Spot on - and football has zero value if there is zero competition. That's not the case with the commercial company examples, for whom the biggest market share is the most important thing. If they can eliminate their rivals then the market is theirs, subject to competition law of course.

Last year the FA correctly identified a problem that top young English prospects are not getting a game in the Premier League. Rather than address the root of the problem, that the EPPP allows clubs to stockpile the best players with no limit or obligation to play them, they deigned to propose a new league for Premiership B teams to compete it. Actually, if only they didn't sit on all the riches - including young players - the game as a whole would be more healthy, fewer clubs would be bankrupting themselves to get to the promised land and competition would be on a much more level playing field.

Finance used to be much more fairly distributed. It led to clubs like Norwich, Ipswich, Coventry, West Ham all able to challenge for the top flight title. None of those will ever get anywhere near again.