Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buyens - Charlton's best ever penalty taker?

Buyens has just scored his 7th pen out of 7. I can't recall such a consistently good penalty taker in all my years of supporting Charlton.

He just never looks like missing.

Comments

• Options
    Can't recall the exact stats but I'd say Mark Reid at least runs him close
  • Options
    Remember Bent scoring a few in his first season! Yann wasn't bad either!
  • Options
    How many consecutive penalties did Jackson score in the League One winning season? I seem to remember there was a period where he never looked like missing until... well, he missed.
  • Options
    Super Clive weren't bad either...
  • Options
    Bob curtis
  • Options
    Gillis said:

How many consecutive penalties did Jackson score in the League One winning season? I seem to remember there was a period where he never looked like missing until... well, he missed.

Jacko missed tonnes towards the end if I remember. His tactic was just blast (which turned to side foot) down the middle.

Buyens mixes them all up and is class from the spot.
  • Options

Gillis said:

Jacko missed tonnes towards the end if I remember. His tactic was just blast (which turned to side foot) down the middle.

In a recent Buyens interview, he said that in his run up he watches the keeper's body language - before deciding where to put it.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Gillis said:

In a recent Buyens interview, he said that in his run up he watches the keeper's body language - before deciding where to put it.

TBF anyone would think he had discovered the art of alchemy from that comment. I just think he is cool as a cucumber and that helps him tremendously.
  • Options
    His second goal was a pass to somebody in the back of the net
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Gillis said:

In his interview tonight though he said the keepers are waiting longer and longer, so he'll probably just blast the next one

• Options
    In recent times, even with Jacko, I could never watch our penalties. But at Cardiff, against Blackburn and today I simply didn't look away because Buyens is the best penalty taker we've had since Darren Bent, whose penalty placement was superb. Buyens is special in regard to penalties.
  • Options
    All scufflers I'm afraid, compared to......Lawrie Madden v Newcastle, late 70's
  • Options
    I remember that Lawrie Madden penalty. Skied high over the goal at the open away end.
  • Options
    Still orbiting the earth today
  • Options
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    He was just interviewed on SSN and wasn't even asked about either of his goals.
  • Options

Bob curtis

This.
  • Options

Mark Reid
    Tommy Caton
    Clive Mendonca
    Yoni Buyens

All great penalty takers with their techniques, but out of the four that I have seen live over the last 30 years, Buyens is the best. A straight run up and wait for the keeper to move. Once the keeper moves then he decides. Today Reading's keeper stayed still I guess to put him off. Did not work and another excellent pen.
  • Options
    Buyens is coolness personified with penalties..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Can't recall the exact stats but I'd say Mark Reid at least runs him close

Reid could have scored a hatrick of pens against palarse, but he missed one.
  • Options
    I was convinced he was gonna miss today.........
  • Options
    Buyens = the bollocks.
  • Options
    He is very good, but it is just too difficult to compare with other good takers from the past - Darren Bent, Mark Reid, Clive Mendonca, Bob Curtis, and even Johnny Jackson - as to who is the best?

The odds, though, on a miss, diminish as more are taken - Jackson took ages to miss one, then couldn't score any! Curtis put everyone of his penalties (bar one, which he missed versus Preston in 1974) in the same place but hit them with pace so he scored most (note - he only changed sides because the keeper was injured and could only dive one way!). Mark Reid had a few saved (including two of four he took on that infamous day at The Valley in 1985). I don't remember Bent or Mendonca missing any, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Mendonca missed just one ......... in the 0-0 League Cup match against, if memory serves me right, Bournemouth.

• Options

Di canio against the arsenal..nothing beats that one, full stop...

A nine iron into the net
  • Options

Buyens is coolness personified with penalties..

He does take a great penalty, waits for the keeper to move then bang.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Mr Calm going to really miss him next two games

And will be looking for a new penalty taker next season as well.