Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buyens - Charlton's best ever penalty taker?

Comments

• Options
    Gudmondsson - 1 penalty, 1 goal.

He'll take over next season.
  • Options
    Bobby Curtis no question.
  • Options
    If only he could play as well as he takes a penalty.
  • Options

If only he could play as well as he takes a penalty.

He can. As proven the last few games.
  • Options
    Bob Curtis and Mark Reid were quality.
    Clive and Darren both excellent.
    But Buyens is the best I've seen for us.
  • Options
    Am I completely mistaken in thinking that Morts used to take a very mean penalty ?
  • Options

Am I completely mistaken in thinking that Morts used to take a very mean penalty ?

I remember him hitting the post at home to Leeds
  • Options
    There must be a ton of one penalty wonders, can remember Jensen scoring one but no idea if it was the only one he took for us.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Can't recall the exact stats but I'd say Mark Reid at least runs him close

My main memory of Reid is him hitting the post at Selhurst but I don't remember who against.
  • Options
    Reid smashed eight in one season. He played at a time when keepers couldn't move and he knew that a low driven shot inside the post would beat the keeper every time. Nowadays, with keepers being able to move along their line, hard and low isn't a guarantee. Buyens succeeds today I was always much more confident when Reidy took his short run-up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone know if he was the penalty taker at Standard Liege? Interested to find out if he's ever missed one!
  • Options

Di canio against the arsenal..nothing beats that one, full stop...

Di Canio away at Leicester against Ian Walker, my personal favourite
  • Options
    I'd say Bob Curtis, Mark Reid, Super Clive and Buyens were/are the best I've seen. My favourite spot kick has to be PDC vs Arsenal. If there is such a thing as a sarcastic penalty this was it...
  • Options
    Buyens sure is a quality penalty taker but as an old-timer my vote for best ever would go to Bob Curtis.
  • Options
    Talal said:

There must be a ton of one penalty wonders, can remember Jensen scoring one but no idea if it was the only one he took for us.

No it wasn't!
    He took the ball out of Mattie Hollands hands and then missed a penalty against Villa that cost us a point, the git.
    Knew he was going to miss it too.
    Mattie was not amused

• Options
    In terms of percentages it is between Caton Mendonca and Buyens. Mark Reid was there or there About's but not a 100 perecenter
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Reid missed a crucial one against Palace at Sellout unfortunately

• Options
    All the penalty takers in that famous wemberly play off final
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

All the penalty takers in that famous wemberly play off final

True, Gray will always be one of our best.
  • Options
    The best penalty taker we ever had was Shaun Newton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Reid took a decent pen
  • Options

Talal said:

No it wasn't!
    He took the ball out of Mattie Hollands hands and then missed a penalty against Villa that cost us a point, the git.
    Knew he was going to miss it too.
    Mattie was not amused

Not only did Jensen miss it, he took it as though he was taking a free kick and the ball ended up in the top half of the Jimmy Seed stand. I seem to recall a loss that day against Villa hurt us dearly in the chase for a UEFA Cup place too.
  • Options
    In my 25+ years watching Charlton, we've had 3 penalty takers who I felt 99%*sure they would score whenever they took one - Mendonca, D. Bent and now Yoni Buyens.

Difficult to say who is/was best, but Mendonca hit the top corner in a Wembley shootout and D.Bent scored a late winner from the spot in a Premier League relegation 6 pointer vs Wigan. Buyens is yet to step forward under that kind of pressure but I'd be confident he would score if he did.

*you can never be 100 % cos eve Le Tissier missed one.
  • Options
    Tommy Caton and Yoni Buyens.
  • Options
    Mike Kenning took a decent penalty I seem to remember
  • Options
    I have yet to miss a penalty for charlton yet not been mentioned once on this thread!

Jensens miss v Villa was in injury time wasn't it?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

aliwibble said:

My main memory of Reid is him hitting the post at Selhurst but I don't remember who against.
    V palace. Lost 2-1. We were the 'home' team that day.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Mendonca missed just one ......... in the 0-0 League Cup match against, if memory serves me right, Bournemouth.

Was in a 1-0 league cup win against QPR. I think Youds scored our goal.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Although he did miss one or two in his career weirdly enough I would still have staked an important body part on Reidy* scoring if I had to choose.

*The Scottish one not the fat one that is.
  • Options
    As a kid, I really enjoyed Paul Went's penalties. He sent the keeper diving so far in the opposite direction that he was able to virtually roll the ball into the net.