Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Chizz said:

cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Which of the rights do the Tories want us to get rid of?

Just the one that an unelected Judge in Strasbourg interprets.

You'd prefer *our* unelected judges to the Strasbourg unelected judges?
    Absolutely.

British legal experts judging British legal issues.

Got it. So, the most important thing is the nationality of the judge presiding over the case? Not whether it's "fair" or anything like that?

So, it would be ok if the judge was someone like Paul J. Mahoney, I guess?
    Where did I mention the Nationality of the Judge?

Problem is Chizz, you read what you want to read and interpret it all in the same blinkered fashion.

Well, when you answered my question about Strasbourg judges with the comment "Absolutely. British legal experts judging British legal issues", I naturally assumed you meant British judges. In fact I can't see how else I could have interpreted that. What did you mean, if you didn't mean British judges?
    Every country seems to get a judge if they've signed up. That means that a judge from Russia (yes, really), or that other centre for human rights excellence, Azerbaijan, for example could be hearing your case. Or one from Albania where a Defence Minister said “What remains to be done is to beat them up with a stick. If you don’t understand this, I can explain it: to beat them with a rubber stick.” when describing how he'd deal with a Gay Rights protest march..... So, on reflection maybe dealing with this stuff in UK courts is not so silly?
    BTW there's a situation vacant for the Irish judge, I'm reminded of Father Ted and the Eurovision Song contest - it's too expensive for us to be in it...
    So, Azerbaijan and Russia are happy to be bound by the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights, but they're a bit too onerous for Britain? Great!
    Unlike those two countries the UK does, on occasion, actually learn from ECHR rulings. Russia's record suggests that whilst they acknowledge the ECHR, their adherence to it is, at best, lip service.

Which makes the ECHR virtually toothless. Meanwhile look at the Supreme Court in America, where thousands of state or federal laws are either scrapped or need to be rewritten due to their rulings. That is largely due to the fact that the Judiciary in integrated within the country's legal system, rather than being an outside arbiter that has very little power to enforce its rulings.
  • Chizz said:

cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Addickted said:

Chizz said:

Which of the rights do the Tories want us to get rid of?

Just the one that an unelected Judge in Strasbourg interprets.

You'd prefer *our* unelected judges to the Strasbourg unelected judges?
    Absolutely.

British legal experts judging British legal issues.

Got it. So, the most important thing is the nationality of the judge presiding over the case? Not whether it's "fair" or anything like that?

So, it would be ok if the judge was someone like Paul J. Mahoney, I guess?
    Where did I mention the Nationality of the Judge?

Problem is Chizz, you read what you want to read and interpret it all in the same blinkered fashion.

Well, when you answered my question about Strasbourg judges with the comment "Absolutely. British legal experts judging British legal issues", I naturally assumed you meant British judges. In fact I can't see how else I could have interpreted that. What did you mean, if you didn't mean British judges?
    Every country seems to get a judge if they've signed up. That means that a judge from Russia (yes, really), or that other centre for human rights excellence, Azerbaijan, for example could be hearing your case. Or one from Albania where a Defence Minister said “What remains to be done is to beat them up with a stick. If you don’t understand this, I can explain it: to beat them with a rubber stick.” when describing how he'd deal with a Gay Rights protest march..... So, on reflection maybe dealing with this stuff in UK courts is not so silly?
    BTW there's a situation vacant for the Irish judge, I'm reminded of Father Ted and the Eurovision Song contest - it's too expensive for us to be in it...
    So, Azerbaijan and Russia are happy to be bound by the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights, but they're a bit too onerous for Britain? Great!
    Yes, Russia has by far and away the most rulings against it. Which rather suggests that nothing gets any better despite the ECHR! For example Chechen civilians have had over 100 cases upheld by the court. Do you think they reckon it's all hunky dory?
  • edited May 2015
    It has nothing to do with worshiping Islam. I'm fine with worshiping Islam and so are all parties.

It's hate preaching that has to stop.

Where should we draw the line for free speach ?

Was Hitler ok ?
  • 30,687,180 votes cast in General Election.
    40,000,000 votes cast in last years X Factor.

Don't people vote multiple times in X-Factor?

Although also postal votes in Labour marginals...objection withdrawn.

Over what term ? 10 weeks ?
  • Can I just point out that this was a bit of light hearted fun, not for dissection or analysis?
  • Simon Cowell for PM!
  • Can I just point out that this was a bit of light hearted fun, not for dissection or analysis?

I've been whooshed.
  • Sponsored links:

• It has nothing to do with worshiping Islam. I'm fine with worshiping Islam and so are all parties.

Was Hitler ok ?

That is the point. At what point does something become 'hate preaching'? Is expressing a strong dislike to someone else's view 'hate preaching'? Is someone expressing hate for muslim's preaching about a dislike for western life 'hate preaching'? This will likely be a law which will unenforceable. This is more about Cameron trying to sound hard in front of the backbenchers.
  • edited May 2015

It has nothing to do with worshiping Islam. I'm fine with worshiping Islam and so are all parties.

Was Hitler ok ?

"Hate preaching" is illegal. It doesn't require a *new* law to make it *more* illegal - it's already illegal. No-one is suggesting that "hate preaching" should be made legal. You can be fined for "hate preaching"; you can be imprisoned; or both.

We do not need new laws to make "hate preaching" illegal. The law is already in place - it's the Public Order Act 1986.
  • Chizz

Your have to let it go, you have 5 yrs to learn how to get over the fact that a tory gvmt is in power, five years is a long stretch to look for every negative going. you will if you haven't already started to be consumed by a vacuum of gloom, your sounding and posting on this thread like a kid that didn't get a toy they wanted
  • Not sure if this has already been posted, but it sums it up nicely for me. Some of the posts on my Facebook aimed at anyone who never voted Labour have been incredible

Stop your whingeing: why the Left are such bad losers
  • brogib said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it sums it up nicely for me. Some of the posts on my Facebook aimed at anyone who never voted Labour have been incredible

Who knows - even Millwall supporters got relegated with more class and good grace than the loony left have managed. Aah, perhaps the clue is in their name then?
  • brogib said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it sums it up nicely for me. Some of the posts on my Facebook aimed at anyone who never voted Labour have been incredible

Just the left?

Have the UKIP kippers stopped claiming electoral fraud in South Thanet? Have they stopped moaning about the electoral system (a complaint that only appeared from them after the election)
  • IA said:

brogib said:

Just the left?

Have the UKIP kippers stopped claiming electoral fraud in South Thanet? Have they stopped moaning about the electoral system (a complaint that only appeared from them after the election)
    Well not here and not on my Facebook feed an not on that journalists Facebook or Twitter feeds
  • The police will decide after their investigation about the fraud issue in Thanet. One thing is for sure, you don't win a council election by a country mile and lose a parliamentary seat election without there being a whiff of a stitch up!
  • E-cafc said:

The police will decide after their investigation about the fraud issue in Thanet. One thing is for sure, you don't win a council election by a country mile and lose a parliamentary seat election without there being a whiff of a stitch up!

Different boundaries for the council and the constituency though aren't there?
  • So UKIP haven't given up the fraud claim.
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't looked at it to be honest so you are more aware than I am. That would explain it then. There were a lot of issues in this election in general. Stolen ballot papers, candidates names missing from ballot papers, people not being able to vote as their names were not on the lists. There was one episode of ballot boxes being found unopened after the announcement of the final result. I am not saying these were all to do with UKIP because they weren't but issues none the less.
  • @IA I'm talking about the voting public, not the Parties themselves
  • cafcfan said:

brogib said:

Who knows - even Millwall supporters got relegated with more class and good grace than the loony left have managed. Aah, perhaps the clue is in their name then?
    Have you got definition of the loony left? Where on your scale does one cross over your line of "leftnest" or is anyone who voted for a left of centre party a loony?
  • Different turnout normally between local and general elections too
  • cafcfan said:

brogib said:

Have you got definition of the loony left? Where on your scale does one cross over your line of "leftnest" or is anyone who voted for a left of centre party a loony?
    Knowingly Tweeting a photo from 11 years ago (Labour term) of 15 or so magnums of Moet being delivered to 11 Downing Street and labelling it “Tory austerity in all its glory” is pretty mental ain't it?
  • brogib said:

cafcfan said:

brogib said:

Knowingly Tweeting a photo from 11 years ago (Labour term) of 15 or so magnums of Moet being delivered to 11 Downing Street and labelling it “Tory austerity in all its glory” is pretty mental ain't it?
    Pretty stupid yes. What's your point, people post stupid stuff on Twitter and Facebook?
  • cafcfan said:

brogib said:

You know full well I was referring to the lefties who try to stifle debate with their abuse of anyone that doesn't agree with their views. They are there for all to see and hear.
  • brogib said:

@IA I'm talking about the voting public, not the Parties themselves

So was I
  • brogib said:

cafcfan said:

brogib said:

Pretty stupid yes. What's your point, people post stupid stuff on Twitter and Facebook and Charlton Life?
    Have you read the link I posted mate? It sums it up for me as I said. The vilifying of people for the way they voted, I don't remember such a backlash when Blair gt in