Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• seth plum said:

It would be good if the next Labour leader is not another white middle class middle aged man, but there are now obvious stand out candidates yet.

You've left it too late for Lady Thatcher but, as said, Diane Abbott might be up for it.
  • edited May 2015

PL54 said:

razil said:

Different turnout normally between local and general elections too

Probably not when they are done on the same day in the same poling station
    I know your a maverick PL54,

But that's a very good question; that needs a very good answer.

Roger that Goose

Edit - And I don't mean fuck that duck !
  • Leuth said:

There's a very simple solution to your problem here, Seth. Become right-wing. Not just slightly right-wing but the works. You need to believe in zero business regulation (hands-off financial approach) and capital punishment (hands-on social approach). You need to believe in British people's rights but the folly of human rights. Above all, you need to believe in liberty AND in surveillance, because a right-winger has nothing to hide! You see, those on the left are deluded. Not necessarily for their individual beliefs, although most of those are probably mad and involve spending money we haven't got on keeping the worthless poor on their Xboxes, but because being left-wing automatically confers delusion upon a person, much as heading right entails the coming-to-your-senses moment of any young progressive's life. You need to cast aside your Marx, your petrol bombs and your gay rights pro-religious-expression lunacy and say "I'm all right, Jack" - for you are British! And what is more right wing than a British person standing tall and asserting their right to all the land that they survey? I tell you what, Seth. - head to the nearest window, look out and say "I'm all right, Jack - for all that I can see is my own land!" Do this thrice daily and you'll be right wing in no time, and we won't have to put up with your bullying any longer.

I'm a convert.

I'm a convert.

Wait a minute, wasn't most of that SNP Policy?

• bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-32736153

If they succeed can we do the same for London!
  • bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-32736153

Someone let the intern post something on the BBC News site again. Does this really need reporting, that a few thousand people have signed a joke petition? 170k put their official religion as 'Jedi' in the last census for comparison.

Licence fee money put to good use once again.
  • edited May 2015
    Fiiish said:

bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-32736153

Someone let the intern post something on the BBC News site again. Does this really need reporting, that a few thousand people have signed a joke petition? 170k put their official religion as 'Jedi' in the last census for comparison.

It wasn't posted as news. It was posted in the Trending on Twitter section. But you are right; outrageous waste of license payers money. Steps should be taken immediately to ensure nothing is ever posted again on the BBC website that is remotely critical of our new Tory rulers.
  • edited May 2015

Fiiish said:

It wasn't posted as news. It was posted in the Trending on Twitter section. But you are right; outrageous waste of license payers money. Steps should be taken immediately to ensure nothing is ever posted again on the BBC website that is remotely critical of our new Tory rulers.
    It wasn't posted as news? It's just that it says BBC News at the top of the page. Maybe the BBC could create a separate part for this and call it BBC Meaningless, Unfunny Shit. In fact they already have a channel for it, except they call it BBC Three.
  • seth plum said:

Leuth said:

There's a very simple solution to your problem here, Seth. Become right-wing. Not just slightly right-wing but the works. You need to believe in zero business regulation (hands-off financial approach) and capital punishment (hands-on social approach). You need to believe in British people's rights but the folly of human rights. Above all, you need to believe in liberty AND in surveillance, because a right-winger has nothing to hide! You see, those on the left are deluded. Not necessarily for their individual beliefs, although most of those are probably mad and involve spending money we haven't got on keeping the worthless poor on their Xboxes, but because being left-wing automatically confers delusion upon a person, much as heading right entails the coming-to-your-senses moment of any young progressive's life. You need to cast aside your Marx, your petrol bombs and your gay rights pro-religious-expression lunacy and say "I'm all right, Jack" - for you are British! And what is more right wing than a British person standing tall and asserting their right to all the land that they survey? I tell you what, Seth. - head to the nearest window, look out and say "I'm all right, Jack - for all that I can see is my own land!" Do this thrice daily and you'll be right wing in no time, and we won't have to put up with your bullying any longer.

All very well, but my passport is for the Republic of Ireland, yet I was born in Erith.

signed

Confused of Lee.
    That's an anagram of Eire... To be sure :)
  • edited May 2015

More good news -

Jan- Mar 2015

UK unemployment falls 35,000 to 1.83 M. A 7 year low.

Those in work rose by 202,000 to 31.1M, which is 73.5% and the highest since records began in 1971.

Average pay rose 2.2%. Regular pay is now growing at its fastest rate for nearly 4 years.

7 months in a row, pay increases have outstripped inflation (CPI).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32719779

7 months after five years in power? Pathetic!

Yeah sure the mess was so bad it took that long to turn it around... Or perhaps a classic Tory pre-election boom?

And it has only occurred because interest rates are near zero and oil prices have halved So inflation is zero!

What is unbelievable is that working wages flat lined for five years and the "Labour" party failed to communicate a message and deliver votes. Their vote either didn't come out or fragmented to parties blaming immigrants and Brussels.

In case you are not aware the world's top 1% have doubled their wealth AND income during the last five years.

As our American cousins might say "go figure"
  • Sponsored links:

• Great news. Perhaps it will stop the train & tube drivers annual strike.
    Notwithstanding, that the strike would go ahead under the new proposals.
    I suppose Labour are pleased with the misery this will cause to the public.
    Championship Play Off Final at Wembley ruined for thousands, if it goes ahead.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/uk-train-strikes-network-rail-workers-to-stage-24-hour-strike-on-bank-holiday-monday/ar-BBjOfEl
  • Fiiish said:

Shelvey moonlighting again?
  • see that Umunna has pulled out of the Labour leadership race. Expect some story in a Sunday rag then.
  • see that Umunna has pulled out of the Labour leadership race. Expect some story in a Sunday rag then.

Prolly been biggin himself up as a 3rd party again
  • For the first time in two generations, our economy has turned into one of negative inflation.

Who could have guessed that five years of under investment in public services and widespread austerity would result in deflation?
  • Chizz said:

For the first time in two generations, our economy has turned into one of negative inflation.

Who could have guessed that five years of under investment in public services and widespread austerity would result in deflation?

deflation, in the short term, is not necessarily a bad thing. It becomes a bad thing when it's prolonged. But for now, enjoy your pound getting you a bit more on holiday this summer.
  • Chizz said:

For the first time in two generations, our economy has turned into one of negative inflation.

I'd love to see how you link temporary deflation to so-called austerity - perhaps you could explain? Meanwhile the ONS says "the biggest contribution to the fall came from a drop in air and sea fares"....

Anyway, back in the real world, bbc.co.uk/news/business-32789709 the wrong answer to the EU referendum will lead to a "last one out turn off the lights" scenario I fear.
  • edited May 2015
    ** EDIT ** - This was in my drafts, point still stands...

This act is only treating a symptom and making the cause worse. You won't stop mindless acts by marginalising those vulnerable to the ideas. You have to deal with the ideas.

Surely you have to deal with the bits you can see before you can expose the bits you can't?

• Dazzler21 said:

This act is only treating a symptom and making the cause worse. You won't stop mindless acts by marginalising those vulnerable to the ideas. You have to deal with the ideas.

Surely you have to deal with the bits you can see before you can expose the bits you can't?

I'd like to agree with you.

Or, I would like to point out where I think you're wrong.

But, to be honest, I have no idea which thread, or which bit of thread, you're referring to.
  • Chizz said:

Wages rising and inflation falling. Sounds good to me (for up to 6 months).

Inflation will be back in the positive, once last year's oil price falls are past the 12 month mark. Enjoy it while you can.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

But, to be honest, I have no idea which thread, or which bit of thread, you're referring to.
    LOL it was earlier on in the thread (about a week ago lol) but it was about rooting out extremism and people disagreeing with Cameron's plans to do it.
  • cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

I'd love to see how you link temporary deflation to so-called austerity - perhaps you could explain? Meanwhile the ONS says "the biggest contribution to the fall came from a drop in air and sea fares"....

Anyway, back in the real world, bbc.co.uk/news/business-32789709 the wrong answer to the EU referendum will lead to a "last one out turn off the lights" scenario I fear.
    What do you think is the biggest threat:
    - teetering on the brink of a deflationary spiral; or
    - years of uncertainty leading up to an in-out referendum?
  • Chizz said:

Inflation will be back in the positive, once last year's oil price falls are past the 12 month mark. Enjoy it while you can.
    So we have the happy prospect of increasing fuel costs and inflation to look forward to..?

;-)

• Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

LOL it was earlier on in the thread (about a week ago lol) but it was about rooting out extremism and people disagreeing with Cameron's plans to do it.
    Actually, that spoils it. Because I was enjoying trying to work out which thread the phrase...

... would have worked best in.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

So we have the happy prospect of increasing fuel costs and inflation to look forward to..?

;-)

Yep. Although the Tories have blocked the automatic fuel increase for a number of years now.

I think I'm right in saying that Labour introduced that additional tax.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

;-)

Yep. Although the Tories have blocked the automatic fuel increase for a number of years now.

Yes, I think you're right. So vehicle fuel will only spiral upwards a bit. Meaning, in a few months, when the weather starts to turn and - assuming your prediction of six months is right - we'll be looking at inflation at the same time as car fuel and heating bills going up. I guess at that time some people will start to wish we had something like a cap on domestic heating costs...

;-)
  • edited May 2015

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

;-)

It was actually Norman Lamont of the Conservatives although Kenneth Clarke, another Conservative, and Gordon Brown, Labour, both subsequently increased the rate of automatic increase.

Brown put it up to 6%. Clarke put it up to 5% and it was 3% when Lamont introduced it.

http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/fuel-duties
  • Chizz said:

cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

What do you think is the biggest threat:
    - teetering on the brink of a deflationary spiral; or
    - years of uncertainty leading up to an in-out referendum?
    The latter is the bigger threat.
  • Patrick O'Flynn resigns his frontbench UKIP position.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32800596
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Just a few points that have occurred to me overnight.

1. If you're going to protest about cuts and/or austerity and you're going to use graffiti to get your message across, wouldn't you use the words "cuts" or "austerity" in the graffiti?

2. If you're going to have the shameful audacity to spray graffiti on a WWII War Memorial, would you stop there? Or would you spray further graffiti on other walls and buildings? Have there been any photos of other buildings sprayed with red graffiti in and around Westminster yesterday?

3. The crass stupidity of such an act of wanton vandalism with thousands of cameraphone owners press photographers and TV cameras can surely only have been perpetrated by someone either immensely ignorant or utterly carefree about consequences. Yet we don't seem to have found any photos of the damage being caused, no-one's been arrested or questioned and no-one's claimed responsibility. We have seen the pictures splashed over the internet and TV since yesterday. Yet if you Google Charlie Gilmour you will see how hard it is to commit an act of vandalism in Westminster without being noticed.

4. If a Government wanted to create a mood-swing among the public against public demonstrations, using an agent provocateur to spray grafitti in this way would be the perfect opportunity. And, if it were done at the Government behest, I think the following would happen:

1. The graffiti would mention the "Tories", but not "cuts" - who in Government would want to see "cuts" splashed over the newspapers?
    2. An agent provocateur would only spray graffiti in one, significant place; so we wouldn't see the same graffiti, by the same perpetrator on several buildings. And...
    3. We wouldn't see pictures of it being done.

It's an interesting thought that it serves David Cameron and Michael Gove's purpose perfectly to see a limited, but terrible piece of vandalism splashed over the news at a time when they would most like to see anti-demonstration measures brought in as soon as possible. Maybe we'll see tougher police measures, draconian, "assumptive" laws and water cannon on the streets of London soon..?

Wow. Just fucking WOW.
    Yes, that's just what I thought. I mean, it's obviously nasty, petulant protesters. But, aren't we going to look stupid jumping to that conclusions if it turns out not to be?
    Not as stupid as when we find out the moon landings were filmed in Hollywood, it was the queen that crashed Dianas car and it was actually 2Pac, Elvis and JFK that flew the planes into the twin towers.
    I am pretty sure that none of those things happened. I am also pretty sure that the government *does* use agents provocateur. For example, in this (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-under-fire-as-trial-collapses-over-agent-provocateur-claims-2181118.html) case.

But, of course, as soon as the guilty party is named, shamed and properly punished, we can all put way the theory that the government might have done something like that to suit their own agenda. And we can rest assured that the Tory government, under the Chairmanship of Michael Green (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/21/grant-shapps-dean-archer-legal-action-michael-green) and the new Justice Secretary Mrs Blurt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gove#Freedom_of_Information_and_email) are utterly trustworthy, honest and beyond reproach.
    Has the "perpetrator" been caught yet?