Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Options

Don't really know these industries, but has zero hours contracts replaced and proved a massive step forward for employees In industries that would typically have been cash in hand jobs?

I doubt the direct connection. There will always be cash in hand jobs. Where zero hour contracts are not moral is where an employer ties in a worker to "a contract" yet guarantees no hours in return. Some employees are under this contract not even allowed to take work elsewhere. Stories of workers going into work only to be told go home after one hour. No security. No way to plan your finances and no way to live.

Correct, they also exploit foreigners more than English, maybe because English people are a bit more fussy about where they work. Mothers husband was working for asdas in a distribution centre on one of these contracts he had to take 2 buses and a half hour walk to be in for 6am sometimes he was given work and other times he was sent home because he wasn't needed, sometimes after going home for a couple of hours he'd be called back in again. One week every day he was sent home and the following only one day of work out of the 5 he was told to turn up, eventually he got sacked for not turning up at all because he told them to call him if there was work.

Also sports direct don't give set hours to anyone apart from managers, this is not because they can't afford it it's because it means they don't have to pay holiday pay or maternity leave etc, I understand people like NLA, small businesses that feel these contracts are the only way to employ people, although I'm sure something similar and more stable could be put in place. But it's not right for big multimillion companies to use it to keep more money in their back pockets, it is leaving an open door to exploitation, small businesses are probably nicely using the law to genuinely give people work when they can but bigger businesses are taking the piss out of people that are desperate to work and have no other alternative.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

It is the vulnerable that get attacked I'm afraid, in this unfair world.

The smallest kid at school, rather than the biggest kid.
    The woman walking down the street, who's body language says "victim".
    The house that isn't alarmed.
    The car that isn't alarmed.

If you make yourself vulnerable, you are more likely to be attacked. It is unfortunately a fact, we do not live in an ideal world.

I'm sorry, but that's just unacceptable. You cannot, in all honesty, be suggesting that the "body language" of a woman makes them "more likely to be attacked". Maybe you posted this by mistake. If so, and if you delete it, I will certainly delete this post. But if you genuinely and deliberately posted that, it's an outrageous suggestion. It's saying "if a woman gets attacked, she might have been culpable, depending on what her body language was". And, by extension, "her attacker's guilt is lessened by the way she was acting before it happened".

I really hope you posted it by mistake and it's not what you really meant to imply.
    What a ridiculous over reaction to the point CE was making, although I'm not suprised.
  • Options
    I'm aware that casual labour is not a new thing and in some (I'd suggest a minority of cases) it suits both parties to build in this degree of flexibility. But we have reached a tipping point in the labour market when we have 700,000 people not sure if they will have any income next week and many of them are on these contracts coupled with very low rates of pay too. And there's usually little in the way of other employment rights that one would expect in a developed and fair society.

That might be workable for someone living at home with mum and dad or someone at the other end of their working life who doesn't have that financial pressure of meeting the mortgage every month. But it seems to me we're in danger of turning the clock back to the 1950's.

There can be zero excuse for the likes of Amazon or Burger King or Wetherspoons to be using these things and it needs stopping now before they become the norm rather than the exception.
  • Options

Don't really know these industries, but has zero hours contracts replaced and proved a massive step forward for employees In industries that would typically have been cash in hand jobs?

I doubt the direct connection. There will always be cash in hand jobs. Where zero hour contracts are not moral is where an employer ties in a worker to "a contract" yet guarantees no hours in return. Some employees are under this contract not even allowed to take work elsewhere. Stories of workers going into work only to be told go home after one hour. No security. No way to plan your finances and no way to live.

Correct, they also exploit foreigners more than English, maybe because English people are a bit more fussy about where they work. Mothers husband was working for asdas in a distribution centre on one of these contracts he had to take 2 buses and a half hour walk to be in for 6am sometimes he was given work and other times he was sent home because he wasn't needed, sometimes after going home for a couple of hours he'd be called back in again. One week every day he was sent home and the following only one day of work out of the 5 he was told to turn up, eventually he got sacked for not turning up at all because he told them to call him if there was work.

Also sports direct don't give set hours to anyone apart from managers, this is not because they can't afford it it's because it means they don't have to pay holiday pay or maternity leave etc, I understand people like NLA, small businesses that feel these contracts are the only way to employ people, although I'm sure something similar and more stable could be put in place. But it's not right for big multimillion companies to use it to keep more money in their back pockets, it is leaving an open door to exploitation, small businesses are probably nicely using the law to genuinely give people work when they can but bigger businesses are taking the piss out of people that are desperate to work and have no other alternative.
    Me and all of my pals on the same agreement were all British born and we all took the work, so I don't really understand it when people come out with this and I genuinely do find it offensive.
  • Options
    There has to be a trade off though. So we have 700k people on zero hours contracts, yet we have the highest employment rate since 1971 and 2 million more people in work than in 2010.

Of course, in all cases it is not the ideal scenario, but the fact remains there are 2 million people now being paid for work that otherwise would have been paid by the state in benefits.
  • Options
    I see Farage wants to bring back smoking in pubs, but on the other hand wants to invest 3bn a year into the nhs, how is making smoking public again going to help the nhs?

He also wants to scrap the human rights laws?! That's messed up!

Also why has every party mentioned building more houses but none have mentioned building more schools and hospitals in the same areas to cope with the growing population. The biggest problem round here (sittingbourne) is that they keep building big housing estates and the schools are all already full, doctors are heaving and there is only one hospital to serve the whole of Medway and swale and that is failing.
  • Options

Chizz said:

It is the vulnerable that get attacked I'm afraid, in this unfair world.

The smallest kid at school, rather than the biggest kid.
    The woman walking down the street, who's body language says "victim".
    The house that isn't alarmed.
    The car that isn't alarmed.

If you make yourself vulnerable, you are more likely to be attacked. It is unfortunately a fact, we do not live in an ideal world.

I'm sorry, but that's just unacceptable. You cannot, in all honesty, be suggesting that the "body language" of a woman makes them "more likely to be attacked". Maybe you posted this by mistake. If so, and if you delete it, I will certainly delete this post. But if you genuinely and deliberately posted that, it's an outrageous suggestion. It's saying "if a woman gets attacked, she might have been culpable, depending on what her body language was". And, by extension, "her attacker's guilt is lessened by the way she was acting before it happened".

I really hope you posted it by mistake and it's not what you really meant to imply.
    What a ridiculous over reaction to the point CE was making, although I'm not suprised.
    as 'they' say in the House of Commons .. hear (fecking) hear ((:>)
  • Options

I see Farage wants to bring back smoking in pubs, but on the other hand wants to invest 3bn a year into the nhs, how is making smoking public again going to help the nhs?

Also why has every party mentioned building more houses but none have mentioned building more schools and hospitals in the same areas to cope with the growing population. The biggest problem round here (sittingbourne) is that they keep building big housing estates and the schools are all already full, doctors are heaving and there is only one hospital to serve the whole of Medway and swale and that is failing.

No, he wants to allow designated smoking in pubs with correct ventilation. There's a difference. Smokers will smoke, whether they are in the pub or at home.
  • Options

No, he wants to allow designated smoking in pubs with correct ventilation. There's a difference. Smokers will smoke, whether they are in the pub or at home.
    Yes but we shouldn't have to if we don't want to. There's nothing worse than walking through a cloud of smoke. Next he'll be saying that it's ok for people to smoke in cars with children as long as it's their car.

It doesn't matter how ventilated an 'area' is in a pub or any building smoke travels and still affects other areas.
  • Options
    UKIP want to bring back "smoking areas" in pubs that are separated from non smoking areas. All this means is that people who want to smoke don't have to stand outside in the pissing rain and throw all of their crap around on the pavements.

People will smoke whether it's inside or outside a pub so what's the difference? It will not affect the NHS any more than it already does.

The reason all of the parties talk about the housing crisis and building more homes is simply because they know it's a concern for the public and therefore they are all lying out of their backsides as they do on any other day on any other given policy. Basically, they have no intention of honouring their worthless, deceiptful pledges.

No party other than UKIP actually have a housing policy.

http://www.rics.org/uk/news/news-insight/comment/ukip-manifesto/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes but we shouldn't have to if we don't want to. There's nothing worse than walking through a cloud of smoke. Next he'll be saying that it's ok for people to smoke in cars with children as long as it's their car.

It doesn't matter how ventilated an 'area' is in a pub or any building smoke travels and still affects other areas.
    Eh?

It will need to be a separate room, with ventilation. That means the non-smokers in the next room will not be affected.
  • Options
    'UKIP will amend the smoking ban to give pubs and clubs the choice to open smoking rooms properly ventilated and separated from non-smoking areas.'
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Farage talks a LOT of twaddle, he also says a lot that makes good sense .. thing is, he will be nowhere near the 'seats of power' after May .. I emphasise, a lot of his utterings are more suited to the Monster Ravings Loonies or the BNP, yet a lot more could be in any manifesto be it Labour, Liberal, Tory, Green or Pinkish Purple .. one thing at the very least that Farage has done, he's made people sit up and take notice of politics and the 'way things are run'
  • Options

Eh?

It will need to be a separate room, with ventilation. That means the non-smokers in the next room will not be affected.
    Until the door opens and you get a bit throat full of it. It will also split up social groups as the smokers will want to stay in the smoking areas, unless the poor non smokers are dragged with them to endure the poison.
  • Options

Farage talks a LOT of twaddle, he also says a lot that makes good sense .. thing is, he will be nowhere near the 'seats of power' after May .. I emphasise, a lot of his utterings are more suited to the Monster Ravings Loonies or the BNP, yet a lot more could be in any manifesto be it Labour, Liberal, Tory, Green or Pinkish Purple .. one thing at the very least that Farage has done, he's made people sit up and take notice of politics and the 'way things are run'
    He's more "old skool" Labour when it come to the rights of British workers imo
  • Options

Zero-hours workers earn £300 a week less, on average, than staff on permanent contracts.

Two in five zero-hours workers are paid less than £111 a week and do not qualify for statutory sick pay.

Short-term and insecure working patterns mean many zero-hours workers do not work continuously with one employer for two years. As a result, many miss out on statutory redundancy pay, the right to return to their job after maternity leave and protection from unfair dismissal.

source ? ..
    Independent research carried out on behalf of the TUC.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Eh?

Until the door opens and you get a bit throat full of it. It will also split up social groups as the smokers will want to stay in the smoking areas, unless the poor non smokers are dragged with them to endure the poison.
    but it's ventilated?!?!?! The whole point of ventilation is that there will be no clouds of smoke to get a throat full of!

And if smokers would rather spend the whole time having snouts In another room than spend time with their mates who don't smoke, I'd suggest getting better friends.
  • Options
    brogib said:

He's more "old skool" Labour when it come to the rights of British workers imo
    indeed he is .. the 'Labour' party is now run mostly by those who toil in the sweatshops of minor universities or the offices of wannabe politicians .. the real workers ? .. well Labour feels sorry for them without having a clue what motivates or pleases 90% of the British population .. the Tories are worse in this respect .. so personally and almost against my better judgment, Labour get my vote this time around .. Tory 'austerity' will always be available if required .. in the meantime, no-one in this country is gonna die of hunger .. unless they choose to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing is for me. If people don't see that the exploitation and abuse of the lax laws surrounding zero hour contracts by SOME employers is morally wrong then I think they need to take a look at their own moral compass.
  • Options

Eh?

but it's ventilated?!?!?! The whole point of ventilation is that there will be no clouds of smoke to get a throat full of!

And if smokers would rather spend the whole time having snouts In another room than spend time with their mates who don't smoke, I'd suggest getting better friends.
    Gary we have this law in the Czech Republic, (where the tobacco companies have long had quite sinister influence) . It doesn't work. The smoke gets into the other rooms, or you have to walk through the smoking area to get to the other area. And the bar/ waiting staff may not have a choice about which bar they work on a given night.

The only way to do this is to allow a small number of designated establishments for smokers like they have in Berlin.

personally I'd rather we spent a bit more money to turn 18% into zero by 2025, which looks achievable
  • Options
    Why can't people look at the terms of employment being offered at the time and make their own judgement?
  • Options

Eh?

Even if you hang out of a window and smoke it still fills the house up and regardless of it being in another room with all doors shut you can still smell it in every room. That's why people with children shouldn't smoke in their homes at all and if they go outside walk away from the house, same goes for pubs nowadays as they let children in. If parents choose not to smoke because they don't want their kids breathing in their poison then they certainly don't want them breathing in other peoples. I've had many a row outside the school gates because people are standing there smoking and my kids shouldn't have to breathe in that crap just to get into school. If you want to smoke and gamble with your health do it where others haven't got to endure it and affect theirs.
  • Options

'UKIP will amend the smoking ban to give pubs and clubs the choice to open smoking rooms properly ventilated and separated from non-smoking areas.'

Do people know the current % of smokers among those old enough to drink Ina pub?

It's 18%.

After the war it was more than 60%

Will the pub space be only big enough to match that 18% demand%? Give me a break

We are within sight of eradicating smoking, with all the benefits that brings the NHS, and Farage want to encourage it?

Well never mind I am sure Imperial, BAT and Philip Morris will show their appreciation with generous donations
    How is Farage encouraging smoking? People will smoke if they choose to and not because Farage is asking them to.

Do you honestly believe that the government wants smoking eradicated? They need the revenue that they get from it too badly. If they wanted it eradicated they could just ban all , production, imports and sales of tobacco products with severe penalties for those who try to flout the law.

The government likes to sounds tough and likes to portray smokers as some kind of, dirty, rotten social disease but in reality at this time they can't do without them. How else could they raise the amount of taxes that they get from it? Something else would need to be taxed at that level. What would they tax instead?

Just for the record, I don't smoke and I don't like being near smokers. I don't drink alcohol anymore either but if there was a smoking area in a pub or club that I was going to, would it stop me from going there? No, I would just stay in a separate area with the non smokers.

• Options
    When ever I've been in a lock in at a pub the ash trays always come out and let's just say I've never seen anyone walk out because of it.
  • Options

Eh?

Gary we have this law in the Czech Republic, (where the tobacco companies have long had quite sinister influence) . It doesn't work. The smoke gets into the other rooms, or you have to walk through the smoking area to get to the other area. And the bar/ waiting staff may not have a choice about which bar they work on a given night.

The only way to do this is to allow a small number of designated establishments for smokers like they have in Berlin.

personally I'd rather we spent a bit more money to turn 18% into zero by 2025, which looks achievable
    All points that if this was to be passed would be considered I'm sure. It's really not that difficult to implement.

Plus this is on the decision of the landlord. It's not mandatory.

I don't even smoke but I think pubs are a worse place since the ban has been introduced, especially in the winter, and I'm sure many pub owners and their business would agree with me.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

When ever I've been in a lock in at a pub the ash trays always come out and let's just say I've never seen anyone walk out because of it.

You won't find a more militant anti smoker than me; and this is 100% true.. pmsl
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Eh?

See, you're not looking at this as a Politician Prague.

£12.3bn taking in tobacco tax revenue in 2012/13. This will need to replaced from somewhere.

Smokers die early. Now seeing as the elderly cost the NHS £4.6m a day just from trips and falls, the early death smokers would save us an extra few bob in all those NHS costs in their dottage.

You need to look at the long term picture :wink:

We should actually be encouraging 'well ventilated' smoking rooms in pubs and clubs.

• Options

Eh?

Even if you hang out of a window and smoke it still fills the house up and regardless of it being in another room with all doors shut you can still smell it in every room. That's why people with children shouldn't smoke in their homes at all and if they go outside walk away from the house, same goes for pubs nowadays as they let children in. If parents choose not to smoke because they don't want their kids breathing in their poison then they certainly don't want them breathing in other peoples. I've had many a row outside the school gates because people are standing there smoking and my kids shouldn't have to breathe in that crap just to get into school. If you want to smoke and gamble with your health do it where others haven't got to endure it and affect theirs.
    As stated in the manifesto, it's the choice of the landlord.

If their pub is over 18, the effects to children is a moot point.

A pub that does allow kids is likely not to introduce smoking back as it will effect their business which targets families.