Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Yes, only Labour can have a chance of having a successful minority government due to the numbers and leanings of the other parties. I think this is the likely outcome if they are very close to the Tories and the one Miliband favours. If they are 10-20 seats behind them, I think they might decide to get another party on board. They still won’t have a majority but they won’t have to please two separate parties to get votes through. That won’t be the SNP for sure, but could be the Lib Dems. People may point to Clegg’s remarks on the possibility, but he stated his own view not Lib Dem policy and he may not win his seat anyway. If Labour does form a coalition with the Lib Dems they will want it to be with Cable or Alexander. If I had a choice, I would pick a Labour, Lib Dem coalition over a Labour victory anyway, so I will be happy if this happens. Also have a tenner on it at 9 to 1.

The thing is, you will have an SNP who have publically stated they will not do anything that increases the chances of getting the Conservatives into power and their manifesto differs from Labour on Trident and austerity. So actually a decent chance that such an arrangement could last the pace. Labour would be able to push Trident through with Conservative votes but austerity may be harder. That could be the danger area for them, as the Tories will probably find an obscure reason to side with the SNP against any austerity vote. It could be fascinating and change the face of British politics forever. All this rubbish about the damage is propaganda. This is probably the most interesting election in my lifetime. Miliband has shone in this campaign and Labour can be trusted on the economy. Whatever the sun tells you - probably had the same graphics team doing the vote conservatives and vote SNP front pages in the Sun and Scottish Sun today. It really is laughable. And I think it used to have an effect, but now actually has a negative effect due to the electorate becoming more savvy and smarter.
  • Yes, only Labour can have a chance of having a successful minority government due to the numbers and leanings of the other parties. I think this is the likely outcome if they are very close to the Tories and the one Miliband favours. If they are 10-20 seats behind them, I think they might decide to get another party on board. They still won’t have a majority but they won’t have to please two separate parties to get votes through. That won’t be the SNP for sure, but could be the Lib Dems. People may point to Clegg’s remarks on the possibility, but he stated his own view not Lib Dem policy and he may not win his seat anyway. If Labour does form a coalition with the Lib Dems they will want it to be with Cable or Alexander.

The thing is, you will have an SNP who have publically stated they will not do anything that increases the chances of getting the Conservatives into power and their manifesto differs from Labour on Trident and austerity. So actually a decent chance that such an arrangement could last the pace. Labour would be able to push Trident through with Conservative votes but austerity may be harder. That could be the danger area for them, as the Tories will probably find an obscure reason to side with the SNP against any austerity vote. It could be fascinating and change the face of British politics forever. All this rubbish about the damage is propaganda. This is probably the most interesting election in my lifetime.

It's hypothetical (and therefore a complete waste of time), but what do you think would happen to the party leaders in that scenrio?

Obviously Miliband would retain his position as Labour Party leader; and you've suggested either Alexander or Cable would be LibDem leader. But would the Conservatives ditch Cameron? And, if so, who would replace him? Would SNP stick with Sturgeon if she failed to deliver a government role for SNP? Would the Greens change leader? And, if Farage also lost Thanet South, would they ditch him too?

In this scenario, we could easily see only Miliband keeping his party role.
  • edited April 2015

Yes, only Labour can have a chance of having a successful minority government due to the numbers and leanings of the other parties. I think this is the likely outcome if they are very close to the Tories and the one Miliband favours. If they are 10-20 seats behind them, I think they might decide to get another party on board. They still won’t have a majority but they won’t have to please two separate parties to get votes through. That won’t be the SNP for sure, but could be the Lib Dems. People may point to Clegg’s remarks on the possibility, but he stated his own view not Lib Dem policy and he may not win his seat anyway. If Labour does form a coalition with the Lib Dems they will want it to be with Cable or Alexander. If I had a choice, I would pick a Labour, Lib Dem coalition over a Labour victory anyway, so I will be happy if this happens. Also have a tenner on it at 9 to 1.

The thing is, you will have an SNP who have publically stated they will not do anything that increases the chances of getting the Conservatives into power and their manifesto differs from Labour on Trident and austerity. So actually a decent chance that such an arrangement could last the pace. Labour would be able to push Trident through with Conservative votes but austerity may be harder. That could be the danger area for them, as the Tories will probably find an obscure reason to side with the SNP against any austerity vote. It could be fascinating and change the face of British politics forever. All this rubbish about the damage is propaganda. This is probably the most interesting election in my lifetime.

Party preferences and bias aside - if that happened, how long do you envisage a Labour minority government being able to keep going? Do you think it would be smooth sailing in Westminster and across the nation? When would we be next heading to the polls? Autumn?
  • Danny Alexander is more likely to lose his seat than Nick Clegg is.

The SNP would not ditch Sturgeon. She's a superstar in Scotland.
  • Chizz said:

Fiiish said:

Chizz said:

Should the Conservatives ditch David Cameron if he fails - again - to win a majority?

Yes. He has indicated as such he has no intention of fighting another election after this one so I imagine he will step down immediately as Tory leader if he does not stay in Number 10.
    But he could "stay in No 10" without winning a majority. In that case, should he be dumped?

People seem to be making a case for Red Ed to be PM without getting a majority, so doesn't it work both ways? As it happens, in the result of deadlock I would expect the Tories to step back and let Labour try and run a minority government as the smaller party. Wait 6 months for it to fall apart and win a majority at an Autumnal election (thats if Labour dont want to do the same as power would be a poisoned chalice with a minority).
    Allowing of course for the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
  • Yes, only Labour can have a chance of having a successful minority government due to the numbers and leanings of the other parties. I think this is the likely outcome if they are very close to the Tories and the one Miliband favours. If they are 10-20 seats behind them, I think they might decide to get another party on board. They still won’t have a majority but they won’t have to please two separate parties to get votes through. That won’t be the SNP for sure, but could be the Lib Dems. People may point to Clegg’s remarks on the possibility, but he stated his own view not Lib Dem policy and he may not win his seat anyway. If Labour does form a coalition with the Lib Dems they will want it to be with Cable or Alexander. If I had a choice, I would pick a Labour, Lib Dem coalition over a Labour victory anyway, so I will be happy if this happens. Also have a tenner on it at 9 to 1.

Party preferences and bias aside - if that happened, how long do you envisage a Labour minority government being able to keep going? Do you think it would be smooth sailing in Westminster and across the nation? When would we be next heading to the polls? Autumn?
    I think any austerity votes would be the difficulty for a Labour minority government. The other policies would be easy enough to get through.
  • Most papers reported

Ed Miliband: Labour got it wrong on immigration

It would be so good if the most blinkered rose-spectacled labour cheerleaders on this list took the time to read what Milliband says about the last time Labour had control of our economy. Instead of the oft repeated, but nevertheless ridiculous excuse, 'it was a world problem nothing to do with Labour' perhaps they could listen to their new messiah

Ed Miliband admits Labour were wrong over debt and need for cuts
    Opposition leader also concedes that last government did not do enough to regulate banks and acted too late to balance economy

Mind you there is a history of Bliar attacking Millibrand. Not suprising considering the ridiculous in fighting between Bliar and his number 2!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/what-tony-blair-really-thinks-of-ed-miliband-six-times-the-former-prime-minister-has-laid-into-current-labour-leader-10159437.html

''Ed Miliband’s top policy adviser has attacked Tony Blair’s “dystopian sink or swim” politics and called on the party to abandon the “soulless” ideology pursued by New Labour''

Lord Digby Jones comments
    ''Which brings me to Labour and Ed Miliband.
    I served in the last Labour government as Gordon Brown's Trade and Investment Minister. I was a non-party political appointment – I've never joined a political party – but it pains me to say that on the economy, Miliband and his team have called it wrong time and time again.
    They issued dire, nightmare predictions of rocketing unemployment. Wrong. They drew a gloomy picture of an economy by this stage of the cycle, becalmed at best, in freefall at worst. Wrong.''
  • edited April 2015
    Digby Jones has always been a Tory - he served under Blair's government, but not as a party member. He has addressed the Tory Party Conference FFS. lol. Now they see it is so close the press are pulling out every card they have. But there is one thing they can't ignore. That is the decency of the British people. The majority want a fairer society. Miliband may be the best chance of delivering that in a generation. Hatchet job here and hatchet job there. He is portrayed as a bufoon, but Cameron runs scared of him and exposure to him revises people's opinions. The rich will still be rich but the poor will just not be sh*t on so much. It would be the start of something better. That is what they fear. They want to control people - tell you how to think and how to vote. Tell you lies so often you start to believe them! I am looking forward to Murdoch and his tycoon mates getting the two fingers from voters. It will be about time.
  • edited April 2015
    Extraordinary teflon response.
    Ridiculous to say a talented business man - who served in a Labour government and who says he is non political - as soon as he (rightly) criticises the last labour government got it wrong he becomes a conservative. Surely even you can see this is just plain wrong?

Current party leader criticises his own party's performance and the response is a criticism of one other source and an irrelevance of Murdoch.
  • Murdoch has every knife in his draw out for Milliband mainly because of the principled stand Ed made regarding the Press scandal and critiisism for Murdochs murky empire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Murdoch has every knife in his draw out for Milliband mainly because of the principled stand Ed made regarding the Press scandal and critiisism for Murdochs murky empire.

Now that is a first - "principled stand" and Miliband in the same sentence!
  • cafcfan said:

Murdoch has every knife in his draw out for Milliband mainly because of the principled stand Ed made regarding the Press scandal and critiisism for Murdochs murky empire.

Now that is a first - "principled stand" and Miliband in the same sentence!
    Well it was

• Digby Jones has always been a Tory - he served under Blair's government, but not as a party member. He has addressed the Tory Party Conference FFS. lol. Now they see it is so close the press are pulling out every card they have. But there is one thing they can't ignore. That is the decency of the British people. The majority want a fairer society. Miliband may be the best chance of delivering that in a generation. Hatchet job here and hatchet job there. He is portrayed as a bufoon, but Cameron runs scared of him and exposure to him revises people's opinions. The rich will still be rich but the poor will just not be sh*t on so much. It would be the start of something better. That is what they fear. They want to control people - tell you how to think and how to vote. Tell you lies so often you start to believe them! I am looking forward to Murdoch and his tycoon mates getting the two fingers from voters. It will be about time.

Except when you say voters, you only mean the third who are going to vote Labour. So basically you're saying this third are the 'decent British people' and the other 2 thirds are ignorant, gullible and fearful.
  • This is an impressive performance so far by Cameron.

• This is an impressive performance so far by Cameron.

He was pumped up for it. Will be interesting to see if the questions for the next leaders are as pressured
  • Agree. On top of his game. First time this campaign I've seen him looking up for it.
  • edited April 2015
    Fiiish said:

Digby Jones has always been a Tory - he served under Blair's government, but not as a party member. He has addressed the Tory Party Conference FFS. lol. Now they see it is so close the press are pulling out every card they have. But there is one thing they can't ignore. That is the decency of the British people. The majority want a fairer society. Miliband may be the best chance of delivering that in a generation. Hatchet job here and hatchet job there. He is portrayed as a bufoon, but Cameron runs scared of him and exposure to him revises people's opinions. The rich will still be rich but the poor will just not be sh*t on so much. It would be the start of something better. That is what they fear. They want to control people - tell you how to think and how to vote. Tell you lies so often you start to believe them! I am looking forward to Murdoch and his tycoon mates getting the two fingers from voters. It will be about time.

Except when you say voters, you only mean the third who are going to vote Labour. So basically you're saying this third are the 'decent British people' and the other 2 thirds are ignorant, gullible and fearful.
    It doesn't just have to be Labour does it? But no - some people vote conservative for different reasons. That is fair enough - If you are rich, there is a logic to vote for the party that looks after you. And my point is there are less gullable people who vote Tory because Murdoch tells them to. It is great through this election that Miliband says one thing and opponents get outraged quoting something completely different. I am honoured when the same is done to me!!!!
  • Can't wait for Farage
  • robroy said:

Can't wait for Farage

Me too, I do enjoy a good meltdown.
  • Fiiish said:

It doesn't just have to be Labour does it? But no - some people vote conservative for different reasons. That is fair enough - If you are rich, there is a logic to vote for the party that looks after you. And my point is there are less gullable people who vote Tory because Murdoch tells them to. It is great through this election that Miliband says one thing and opponents get outraged quoting something completely different. I am honoured when the same is done to me!!!!

Fiiish said:

Not really a misquote, you were implying that the decent British people were finally coming around to voting Labour and not falling for the lies and smears of the 'Tory press'.

As for Miliband getting misquoted, well it happens to every politician just the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• That blonde marketing director just destroyed Ed!!
  • Millibands getting killed!!!
  • Millibands getting killed!!!

Think that is wishfull thinking!
  • I don't understand people who go on Question Time who clearly have already made their mind up.......................... they just end up ranting.
  • He dealt with the SNP question really well there.
  • Very strong performance by Ed regarding any deal with the SNP. Fact is he doesn't need a deal with them.
  • It's the blonde wot won it.
  • I've drifted
  • Its annoying me all this....what is your name business. Not admitting they did not over spend was a school boy error there
  • It's the blonde wot won it.

Nah. Just another typical Tory voter.