Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• brogib said:

I think that if Brand was on CL, he'd be of those who would post anything just to get his "Like" count up and not so much his "LOL" count, even though, he's spose to be a comedian

In that case he's probably already on here...
    Hmm, so we're looking for an unnecessarily aggressive pro-Labour poster desperately looking for likes by posting about stuff he barely understands...

Needle in a haystack on this thread :tongue:
  • I got plenty of LOL's for saying Brand is labour the other day.

And I was right.

Im nervous about this despite the Murdoch papers/ Evening Standard and the usual Mail and Telegraph supporting Conservative.

Hopefully the 2 million people that Cameron has put back in a job will do the right thing.
  • brogib said:

I think that if Brand was on CL, he'd be of those who would post anything just to get his "Like" count up and not so much his "LOL" count, even though, he's spose to be a comedian

In that case he's probably already on here...
    That's kind of what I meant
  • The Sun must embarrass serious journalists. It's written by literate chavs.

Indeed. I wonder if they'll run a It was The Sun wot lost it headline this time round?
  • I dont read the Sun but isnt the political man - Trevor Kavanagh fairly well respected or just another Murdoch puppet?
  • Fiiish said:

Miliband is trying to distance himself from Powell's comments, a bit like how her top row of teeth are trying to distance themselves from her top lip:

Also looks like the Sun are trying to repeat their 1992 success of mocking the Labour leader in hopes it will swing the vote:

I can't see it working to be honest, people are a lot more social-media savvy and the dead-tree press has lost a lot of the influence it once had. Seems like very desperate kitchen sink stuff to me. If this doesn't work, think Murdoch has to realise he can't influence elections like he used to and start distancing himself from outright throwing his weight behind one party (although he is already doing this by supporting the SNP in Scotland...if only to help sell papers and to help Labour lose as many seats as possible).

Well done to the Sun for giving Milliband more support on the back of their pathetic personal attack.
    Wouldn't be so sure of that SJ there's a lot of people out there who don't have the benefit of discussions like this one to inform/challenge their opinions. Lots of voters will be looking at that and seeing an awkward geek they feel little connection with regardless of what he's said and his parties policies.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32537661
  • brogib said:

'Burn your season ticket renewals' he'd cry...... from his leather seat in the west stand between Katrien and Jim Davidsons.

• I dont read the Sun but isnt the political man - Trevor Kavanagh fairly well respected or just another Murdoch puppet?

"I don't read The Sun but..." has become one of those almost compulsory ways to start a sentence hasn't it?
  • When I went to my local hustings last Thursday the Conservative candidate Peter Fortune introduced himself by saying 'well this is my fourth and last hustings of this campaign, and probably my last hustings ever'. If it is a question of the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight then his opening remark was defeatist. Even the Christian Alliance woman was more positive.
    Peter Fortunes lack of enthusiasm amongst the plebs of Lewisham East resonated with David Cameron's,. I imagine Mr Cameron would rather groove in the garden with Michael Gove and his Bullenden mates than have to exert himself in the fight, his reluctance to debate head to head suggests this. I think that the Conservatives are playing to their core vote and hoping for the best, the other parties seem to be trying to play to a wider audience.
    I will make a prediction, Peter Fortune will not win in Lewisham East.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I imagine Mr Cameron would rather groove in the garden with Michael Gove and his Bullenden mates than have to exert himself in the fight.

Yeah, of course, because no one ever grows up, gets married and has kids do they? Tory toffs are well known for their total inability to mature and alter their behaviour when they leave education aren't they?

In a way, this article from The Independent (sic) is every bit as bad/pathetic as The Sun's dreadful attempt to slaughter Milliband. independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-photographic-history-of-bullingdon-club-tracked-down--including-new-picture-of-david-cameron-in-his-finery-10224679.html
  • seth plum said:

When I went to my local hustings last Thursday the Conservative candidate Peter Fortune introduced himself by saying 'well this is my fourth and last hustings of this campaign, and probably my last hustings ever'. If it is a question of the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight then his opening remark was defeatist. Even the Christian Alliance woman was more positive.
    Peter Fortunes lack of enthusiasm amongst the plebs of Lewisham East resonated with David Cameron's,. I imagine Mr Cameron would rather groove in the garden with Michael Gove and his Bullenden mates than have to exert himself in the fight, his reluctance to debate head to head suggests this. I think that the Conservatives are playing to their core vote and hoping for the best, the other parties seem to be trying to play to a wider audience.

Is he the incumbent ? If so, what's his majority ?
  • So after all the guff and stuff, for me it boils down to one or two criteria.
    Its not really about money, because I would probably see more money in my pay every month under the Torys. Obviously this doesn't mean I will be better off.
    My main concern is the health service, so do I vote Conservative and watch it get decimated even further, or do I vote Labour so at least it has a chance to be saved. No brainer really.
  • edited May 2015
    Greenie said:

My main concern is the health service, so do I vote Conservative and watch it get decimated even further, or do I vote Labour so at least it has a chance to be saved. No brainer really.

For Welsh voters for their next Welsh Assembly elections, that sentence would go something like this:

"My main concern is the Welsh NHS, so do I vote Labour and watch it get decimated even further, or do I vote anyone else but Labour so at least it has a chance to be saved. No brainer really."
  • I work in the NHS (front line) trust me the cuts the Tories have made are biting.
  • se9addick said:

seth plum said:

When I went to my local hustings last Thursday the Conservative candidate Peter Fortune introduced himself by saying 'well this is my fourth and last hustings of this campaign, and probably my last hustings ever'. If it is a question of the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight then his opening remark was defeatist. Even the Christian Alliance woman was more positive.

Is he the incumbent ? If so, what's his majority ?
    No Heidi Alexander (her latest odds 100/1 on)
  • Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

For Welsh voters for their next Welsh Assembly elections, that sentence would go something like this:

"My main concern is the Welsh NHS, so do I vote Labour and watch it get decimated even further, or do I vote anyone else but Labour so at least it has a chance to be saved. No brainer really."
    Its just white noise now Fiish................!
    You know, I know and everyone knows that the NHS will fall further on its arse if your mates get back in....
  • cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

I imagine Mr Cameron would rather groove in the garden with Michael Gove and his Bullenden mates than have to exert himself in the fight.

Yeah, of course, because no one ever grows up, gets married and has kids do they? Tory toffs are well known for their total inability to mature and alter their behaviour when they leave education aren't they?

In a way, this article from The Independent (sic) is every bit as bad/pathetic as The Sun's dreadful attempt to slaughter Milliband. independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-photographic-history-of-bullingdon-club-tracked-down--including-new-picture-of-david-cameron-in-his-finery-10224679.html
    But the Independent's wealthy (possibly non-dom) owner has come out in support of the Tories. Not sure if someone's comemnted early but the most hypocritical personal attack was surely |Boris J's on Milliband about his brother. If anyone REALLY knows about doing the dirty on a family member it is Boris
  • edited May 2015
    A comedian with class - he wants you to make your own mind up!

From Henning Wehn - The German Comedy Ambassador (the last bit made me chuckle)

Dear Friends Of German Comedy...

I’m sure we’re all thinking back longingly to 22nd September 2013, the day of the German general election.

Voters had the choice between the leader of the opposition, Peer Steinbrueck, who would have made a great Chancellor and Angela Merkel, who had already proven to be a great Chancellor.

Now compare that embarrassment of riches to the bewilderingly poor options on offer to the good people of Blighty.

On one side there’s a phony, “brain-faded” West-Ham-Villa-whoever supporting incumbent with a party chairman who is a proven liar (or as Shapps himself put it so superbly: guilty of “over-denial”) and on the other someone sounding even less genuine.

For the first time I almost understand the argument that having the Queen is a good thing as she provides a degree of emotional stability. To be fair, the memories of 1945 and 1966 do have the same effect. For free.

It all makes you wonder why there is what seems to be a lesser quality of human beings in British politics. Or are the candidates perfectly decent and capable but come across as grotesque caricatures only thanks to newspapers whose prime motivation doesn’t seem to be reporting on the election but shaping the outcome?

Either way, the real trouble is it puts people off joining political parties at grassroots level. Why give up your weekends and evenings so one day you’ll be hounded by the press for not being able to eat a bacon sandwich.

The one thing I’m sure about, not least from painful experience in the Fatherland’s history: there’ll always be politics. But potentially it’ll be done by the wrong people.

So, have a great month and try to vote for someone suitable, difficult as that may be

Henning

Please find below a list of my upcoming gigs. It would be great to see you at one of those.

That’s it for now – I have to print out and complete Form AN, the application for naturalisation as a British citizen. Just to make sure I can still work in Britain no matter Thursday’s results.
  • I got plenty of LOL's for saying Brand is labour the other day.

And I was right.

Im nervous about this despite the Murdoch papers/ Evening Standard and the usual Mail and Telegraph supporting Conservative.

Hopefully the 2 million people that Cameron has put back in a job will do the right thing.

Yep. Because with the hours they're working, they'll have plenty of time to read up on policies...

• Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

You know, I know and everyone knows that the NHS will fall further on its arse if your mates get back in....
    I don't really want the Tories back in but in a straight race between Tories and Labour they're the lesser of two evils on the grander scale of things.

I just have no idea where Labour get this reputation for being the best party to manage the NHS. The Welsh NHS under their management is doing shockingly compared to the English NHS and pretty much everything people hate about the Tories on the NHS (under-investment, top-down meddling, various crises, privatisation), Labour under Blair and Brown also did their fair share of the aforementioned acts. It's this sycophantic pro-Labour bleating from the sheep without any substance to back up their misguided faith that is the white noise, it's been going on for months now.
  • makes me laugh when people slag someone off for the choice of school their parents sent them to.

Anyway, Don't want that Oxbridge/ Ivy League duo running our country. Am taking about you Miliband and Balls.
  • To be honest. I'm not sure where the NHS would be if we get another five years of Tory cuts. It's crumbling around the edges now.
  • Regardless of the allegiance to the tory party the sun newspaper is something that no one should buy or read over the phone taping of the poor families that horrifically lost children through nonces and murderous scum, giving them false hope and a glimmer of light through the darkest days

Please regardless of who you vote for don't feed that scum bag paper a penny

Well said NLA.
  • What about page 3 though??

; )
  • edited May 2015
    Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

I don't really want the Tories back in but in a straight race between Tories and Labour they're the lesser of two evils on the grander scale of things.

I just have no idea where Labour get this reputation for being the best party to manage the NHS. The Welsh NHS under their management is doing shockingly compared to the English NHS and pretty much everything people hate about the Tories on the NHS (under-investment, top-down meddling, various crises, privatisation), Labour under Blair and Brown also did their fair share of the aforementioned acts. It's this sycophantic pro-Labour bleating from the sheep without any substance to back up their misguided faith that is the white noise, it's been going on for months now.
    Oh dear......again!
  • Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Oh dear......again!
    Thanks for proving my point.
  • During the last labour governments term they increased spending on the NHS over that parliament by 5.7% per year.

During the coalitions term the increased NHS spending over that parliament by 0.8% per year.

Given that health inflation is recognised to run at between 3 - 4% per year, the Tories have made deep cuts.

Much more of the same and and our NHS will reach tipping point. I suspect that is exactly what Cameron and his ilk would love to see.

Vote Labour to save the only jewell left in this country.