Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Fiiish said:

Fiiish. Do you work full time at Conservative HQ or for Rupert Murdoch ?

Oh my sides, please stop or they will surely split.

Are you, Red, Chizz and the other Labour apologists on here all secretly controlled by Alastair Campbell, since all you do is throw personal abuse at anyone who posts anything remotely anti-Labour?
    To set the record straight, I do not throw personal abuse.
  • edited May 2015
    Just caught up with this thread, you were all aware it was a bank holiday yesterday? ;o)
  • Greenie said:

Just caught up with this thread, you were all aware it was a bank holiday yesterday? ;o)

Well, I spent my Bank Holiday Monday evening at a hustings. For the first time ever. Brilliant fun!
  • Fiiish said:

Are you, Red, Chizz and the other Labour apologists on here all secretly controlled by Alastair Campbell, since all you do is throw personal abuse at anyone who posts anything remotely anti-Labour?
    Can't speak for the others but can I formally assert, on the same grounds that you make the same claim for yourself, my claim to be a centrist?
  • Now even Lucy Powell, the vice chair of Labours campaign, has said that he may still break the promises he has carved onto the stone!

Now even Lucy Powell, the vice chair of Labours campaign, has said that he may still break the promises he has carved onto the stone!

Not actually what was meant. She was saying that no-one is suggesting that just because they're written on stone they're unbreakable - i.e. acknowledging it was symbolic rather than something legally binding.

However I agree that the quote, and the stone itself, has given the right wing press an open goal that even Spongeboots couldn't miss.
  • Red in se8 you seem to have spent most of the last few pages on this thread simply winding up fiish and having digs here and there. At SHG backs his pro labour arguements with sources and facts. Simple fact is fiish is playing devils advocate with all the anti Tory bile that some posters post. As a more centrist myself it's actually quite refreshing. Your attempts at what I can only describe as bullying are an unfortunate blight on this thread.

Yeah

• How can anyone vote Labour when Ed Miliband has said he wants to make Islamophobia illegal? Literally the least intelligent promise I've ever heard and a dangerous precedent to set.

You'd think the moron might have learnt from the Rotherham scandal.

I completely agree with him, all forms of racism and discrimination due to culture or religion is wrong. He's not saying we should lie down and let ourselves be attacked ffs he is saying we shouldn't assume that because someone is a Muslim then they are a terrorist or a child abuser etc and that is true. Also I don't know how any intelligent person can use the Rotherham saga to say every Muslim should be feared, it was a gang/group of people that happened to be Muslims. There has been many peodophiles, peodophile rings and child traffickers etc that have been/ are all made up of Middle aged white men are we all to fear middle aged white men? Maybe we should fear all bbc workers or catholic priests. There has been hundreds of Christian terrorist attacks should the rest of the world fear Christians?

Seriously if you think this is a reason not to vote Ed Milliband then you must be running out of real reasons.
    I'm not sure anyone is saying we should be afraid of all Muslims as a result of Rotherham, however, when fear of being called a racist or an Islamaphobe stops people from carrying out checks, especially when involving minors then we have a real problem.

Of course, people should not go out of their way to be insulting, however raising something they consider to be a real concern should not be made illegal.
    But I don't think that's what is being proposed here.

Islamophobia isn't "raising a real concern" about an issue it is a pre-disposition to be prejudice (and that prejudice to manifest somehow) to hate all Muslims based solely on their faith.

It sounds like a good idea to me, the bit I don't quite understand is that hate crimes are already illegal - we already have the power to prosecute religiously aggravated crimes regardless of which religion they're targetted at so what was Miliband suggesting as an alternative ?
  • Red in se8 you seem to have spent most of the last few pages on this thread simply winding up fiish and having digs here and there. At SHG backs his pro labour arguements with sources and facts. Simple fact is fiish is playing devils advocate with all the anti Tory bile that some posters post. As a more centrist myself it's actually quite refreshing. Your attempts at what I can only describe as bullying are an unfortunate blight on this thread.

Can you list examples of personal abuse/bullying?

• Sponsored links:

I agree apart from the being nice to SHG bit.

He doesn't deserve it

:-)
  • edited May 2015

Red in se8 you seem to have spent most of the last few pages on this thread simply winding up fiish and having digs here and there. At SHG backs his pro labour arguements with sources and facts. Simple fact is fiish is playing devils advocate with all the anti Tory bile that some posters post. As a more centrist myself it's actually quite refreshing. Your attempts at what I can only describe as bullying are an unfortunate blight on this thread.

"Anti Tory bile"? Oh you mean, people expressing a view that differs from your own. There's been very little in the way of "class war" style insults banded around on this thread and for the most part it's been a grown up debate but in which Fiiish has himself been far from shy of throwing a few personal insults around at other posters when the mood takes so I'll respectfully disagree that he's now the victim of "bullying".

Maybe we can all get back to the debate in hand instead and both "sides" stop fiiishing for a bite if that's the case...

Just read all my posts on the last few pages of this thread. In the context of the vigorous debate, claims and counter claims and rebuttals that have characterised this thread as a whole, and made it enjoyable and enlightening to participate in, I find it astonishing that you could come to that conclusion.

Now even Lucy Powell, the vice chair of Labours campaign, has said that he may still break the promises he has carved onto the stone!

Not actually what was meant. She was saying that no-one is suggesting that just because they're written on stone they're unbreakable - i.e. acknowledging it was symbolic rather than something legally binding.
    Hilarious.

If the Tories had done an idiotic PR stunt about making unbreakable pledges and then days later their campaign is quoted to saying something along the lines of contradicting said PR stunt and that they can't even pledge to keep their pledges, you and the rest of the Labour lot on here would be having a field day.

The fact that the only defence that seems to get wheeled out for any criticism of Labour nowadays is either 'right-wing press' or 'are you working for the Tories/Murdoch' seems to indicate that if there was any case for voting Labour on Thursday (and there really wasn't much of a case to begin with), it's in complete tatters now.

Vote Labour: we set our pledges in stone. Sort of. We'll probably break them but it was a nice idea? And that Russell Brand said vote for us and he's funny.

Very convincing. It almost makes Hague's baseball cap and log flume stunt look like a serious campaign by comparison.

Can you list examples of personal abuse/bullying?

Thought not.
  • Chizz said:

Fiiish said:

I last looked on about 246 posts ago. I open the thread up, and I swear it's as if nothing's changed :wink:
  • cabbles said:

Chizz said:

Fiiish said:

I last looked on about 246 posts ago. I open the thread up, and I swear it's as if nothing's changed :wink:
    We do appear to be going around in circles, problem with debates once you've put across your arguments and debated theirs and all closed with your opinions there is nothing left apart from point scoring and personal digs. This is why politic threads are rarely allowed.
  • cabbles said:

Chizz said:

Fiiish said:

We do appear to be going around in circles, problem with debates once you've put across your arguments and debated theirs and all closed with your opinions there is nothing left apart from point scoring and personal digs. This is why politic threads are rarely allowed.
    I haven't scored a point yet !

• Did anyone in Labour clarify how they are going to 'guarantee' every school leaver a job yet.

Or was it every 16 year old ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I met my candidates at a hustings event over the weekend. All the usual guff, spin and hot air was spouted by each of them, until I asked one question which got quite interesting responses. I asked: "Which party or parties would you refuse to go into coalition with?" The candidates came up with the following answers:

Conservative
    Absolutely clear that they would rule out working with SNP, whom they see as "separatists".

LibDems
    Didn't really seem to understand the question and, instead pointed to their record in government.

Greens
    Wouldn't work with Ukip or the Tories; would be happy with work with Plaid Cymru.

Ukip
    Hadn't given it much thought. (Frankly, hadn't given anything much thought, really).

Labour
    SNP, Ukip

It was interesting, therefore, that, at least on a local basis neither Labour or Conservative ruled out working with each other; No-one wants to work with SNP; and no-one admits that they would work with the Ukip (although, I got the impression that the Conservatives would, if only whilst holding their noses).
  • Green-Plaid Cymru coalition it is
  • Well, the clever thing about Moses Miliband's stone tablet is that it's meaningless. You could easily argue that he can meet five of the six pledges by doing nothing. That leaves a caring NHS - but really I don't care wether they care or not as long as they do their job professionally.
  • edited May 2015
    Miliband is trying to distance himself from Powell's comments, a bit like how her top row of teeth are trying to distance themselves from her top lip:

Also looks like the Sun are trying to repeat their 1992 success of mocking the Labour leader in hopes it will swing the vote:

I can't see it working to be honest, people are a lot more social-media savvy and the dead-tree press has lost a lot of the influence it once had. Seems like very desperate kitchen sink stuff to me. If this doesn't work, think Murdoch has to realise he can't influence elections like he used to and start distancing himself from outright throwing his weight behind one party (although he is already doing this by supporting the SNP in Scotland...if only to help sell papers and to help Labour lose as many seats as possible).
  • Aside from endorsing Green candidate Caroline Lucas in Brighton, Brand said people outside Scotland had "got to vote Labour".

Scottish voters, he said, "don't need an English person telling you what to do".

At first I thought Brand was grown in a bacterial fermentation centre on the outskirts of the Amazon,but turns out he actually is ENGLISH!
  • Fiiish said:

Miliband is trying to distance himself from Powell's comments, a bit like how her top row of teeth are trying to distance themselves from her top lip:

Also looks like the Sun are trying to repeat their 1992 success of mocking the Labour leader in hopes it will swing the vote:

I can't see it working to be honest, people are a lot more social-media savvy and the dead-tree press has lost a lot of the influence it once had. Seems like very desperate kitchen sink stuff to me. If this doesn't work, think Murdoch has to realise he can't influence elections like he used to and start distancing himself from outright throwing his weight behind one party (although he is already doing this by supporting the SNP in Scotland...if only to help sell papers and to help Labour lose as many seats as possible).

Well done to the Sun for giving Milliband more support on the back of their pathetic personal attack.
  • Aside from endorsing Green candidate Caroline Lucas in Brighton, Brand said people outside Scotland had "got to vote Labour".

Scottish voters, he said, "don't need an English person telling you what to do".

At first I thought Brand was grown in a bacterial fermentation centre on the outskirts of the Amazon,but turns out he actually is ENGLISH!

Brand assumes English people need an English person telling them what to do.
  • se9addick said:

Aside from endorsing Green candidate Caroline Lucas in Brighton, Brand said people outside Scotland had "got to vote Labour".

Brand assumes English people need an English person telling them what to do.
    And ironically, as the article shows,Scottish people too
  • I think that if Brand was on CL, he'd be of those who would post anything just to get his "Like" count up and not so much his "LOL" count, even though, he's spose to be a comedian
  • brogib said:

I think that if Brand was on CL, he'd be of those who would post anything just to get his "Like" count up and not so much his "LOL" count, even though, he's spose to be a comedian

In that case he's probably already on here...