Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Richie Benaud

Comments

• Options

The best ever commentator in any sport for me. Many happy days spent glued to the TV with him talking you through it.

"McGraths gone for two, only 98 runs short of his century"

RIP a great man.

THIS !!

He was the voice of cricket for me ! We have had some wonderful commentators, Jonno, CMJ, Greig but Richie was the one I always enjoyed listening to the most. His outspoken opinion when Trevor Chappel bowled 'that' delivery summed up his honesty and integrity and love of the game. Absolute legend, good cricketer, amazing commentator, the best. RIP Richie !!
  • Options
    Has been a part of so many peoples lives for such a long time. My wife knows nothing about cricket but she knew who Richie was and shared my sadness at his passing.
  • Options
    One of the voices of my childhood.

222 for 2.

RIP Ritchie.
  • Options
    It's never going to be quite the same without him.
    So much knowledge, so eloquently expressed.
    RIP Ritchie.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Oh no.

Fifty Five for Five. Nobody read that score better than Richie.

RIP.

Or two two twoo.

Absolute legend, sad day.
  • Options
    Big racing fan too.
    Sadly missed.
  • Options
    Skin cancer it seems - it's the Australian way. Enjoyed his commentaries. RIP.
  • Options
  • Options
    Turning on the TV on a summers day and catching his opening phrase " good morning everybody".
    Great man.RIP
  • Options
    great cricketer and broadcaster, but not the voice of cricket in the UK, that will always be John Arlott as I am sure Richie would agree

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    RIP

Had the pleasure of meeting him once when Kent played at Hesketh Park in Dartford.

He genuinely was neutral even when Australia played.
  • Options
    Farewell Richie, the master at his craft, who had the rare ability to only say interesting and relevant things and let the pictures do the talking the rest of the time.
  • Options
    RIP Richie Benaud.

Good one gone.
  • Options
    Grew up listening to the man. You knew if he said someone was good he was be he an Aussie or Pom.

RIP Richie
  • Options
    Very sad

The best commentator on any sport, ever

RIP
  • Options
    Very sad. Together with Johnners and Arlott, the voices of cricket in the long, golden summers of my youth. RIP
  • Options
    great commentator
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    cafcfan said:

Skin cancer it seems - it's the Australian way. Enjoyed his commentaries. RIP.

One reason always living in summer is not such a great idea.
  • Options
    As others have said, possibly the greatest sports commentator of all time. A very sad day for cricket fans and sport fans in general RIP Richie Benaud
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Testament to his commentary skills that the fact he was one of the greatest spin bowlers to play the game is often ignored.

An absolute legend - it's bounded around too often but he is undoubtably that.

We lost the voice of cricket today.
  • Options
    It's all been said .. a voice as cool and soothing as a pint of icy lager in the outback, a brain as sharp as a koala's claws .. a cricketing icon and yes, legend .. RIP Mr Benaud
  • Options
    RIP great commentator
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The king of all commentators, I remember him when with John Allot and co.....Grew up listening to him...what a sad day........ many of today's so called commentators could learn so much from the likes of him. RIP Ritchie
  • Options
    A great shame that his innings has ended but it was a darned good one ,his autobiography is a good read ,he retired from the game still quite a young man but alongside Alan McGilvray was destined to the best Australian Cricket Broadcaster.I shall miss his laid back,laconic,mellifluous style ,when he spoke you listened as you know he had something interesting to say ..for him less was more,today cricket is a much poorer game for his passing.
  • Options
    Another part of my childhood gone. A wonderful commentator and wonderful man. Sad day for the world of cricket.
  • Options
    Not afraid to say nothing when commentating on television which was refreshing and added to the atmosphere.

A great loss.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Richie,Mr Cricket and a true legend.
    No one could ever say the number 2 like Richie