Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Richie Benaud

13»

Comments

• Options
    Rip will be missed
  • Options
    Richard J said:

RIP

Had the pleasure of meeting him once when Kent played at Hesketh Park in Dartford.

He genuinely was neutral even when Australia played.

Totally agree and thats what made him universally respected.

Really saddened by this - so many great memories of a carefree childhood. As somebody else mentioned earlier, makes me feel old. 84 not a bad innings. RIP Richie.
  • Options
    Benaud did not commentate on cricket, he was part of the whole experience, his words flowed and ebbed and weaved us into the fabric of any game, so that we did not just know what was happening but were part of what was happening.

Todays commentators place you factually at the match (Football / Cricket), Benaud and his ilk transcended this and made us part of the experience.
  • Options
    Yes, a fierce and skilled competitor in his time, but a great commentator and a gentleman who took such pleasure in sharing the sport with us. He never just phoned in his commentary or turned it into an us-and-them thing, although he could have spent many an Ashes series gloating, if he had been so inclined. Truly sad. RIP
  • Options
    Very sad news. He was responsible for one of my favourite bits of commentary (I don't think I dreamt it but I haven't been able to find a clip anywhere) - during a match the bastman smashed a six into the crowd and as the ball dropped a spectator tried to catch it but it went straight through his hands and smashed him on the head, it was a nasty blow but Benaud just wrily said "Well, in his heyday he'd have pouched it." Always thought that was brilliant off the cuff line.
  • Options
    One of his many quotes "The key thing was to learn the value of economy with words and to never insult the viewer by telling them what they can already see."

That pretty much summed up his commentary style - he didn't describe, he added immeasurably his insight that you couldn't see (and his brilliant humour).
  • Options
    Truly great and impartial commentator, probably the best in any sport. His playing days were before my time but I understand he was one of the best ever captains.
  • Options
    RIP - A cricket legend both as player and commentator
  • Options
    Ironic that skin cancer did for him, when he was one of the first people raisng public awareness.

I'm surprised no one mentioned, slip, slap, slop.

Anyway, 85 was a very good innings.
  • Options
    The World is a worse place without him in it. The word 'legend' is thrown around a lot this day, but the affection that so many people feel for this man is a true testament to him. There will never be another like him. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP. Simply the best tv commentator ever.
  • Options
    His family have been offered a State Funeral in Oz - that is some statement.
  • Options
    To me he will always be the best sports commentator on TV bar none. RIP
  • Options
    RIP Richie. A sad day
  • Options
    The power of the right word words at the right time.......it's amazing how so many of us feel his loss...yet so few of us actually knew him......yet in many ways we did. R.I.P.
  • Options
    I may have misremembered this, but I'm sure it was Richie who, when commentating during a particularly aggressive spell of fast bowling, responded to the stumps being knocked out of the ground by a fast delivery by saying:
    "Well, that's very out."

RIP. The best.