Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

Comments

• Options
    St Patrick wasn't Irish so feckkng what ! Good luck to the Paddys that celebrate their day and if you want to enjoy and celebrate St Gs Day good on you.

Curb It the boat leaves Greenwich at 11,45 .

People from Scotland and Ulster on the boat
  • Options
    @Greenie can see loads of mum-in-law or wife jokes coming after that one.
  • Options
    I am have taken it upon myself to turn Shepherd Neame's Monthly Staff Drinks night tomorrow into a St George's Day Celebration, dragging my Decks along to play a bit of music for the drinkers, we have got some DragonFire Ale on I Believe as well tomorrow, will take my Flag with me as well to display somewhere proudly in the bar. Sure to be some sore heads at work Friday morning.
  • Options
    Usually simply wake up and breathe the glorious air of the chosen ones, but tomorrow I am going with my best mate on a guided tour of Wembley (a present from my sister). Will probably do lunch and a few beers afterwards, my own personal homage to being English.
  • Options
    Taking a group of students to watch the Royal Shakespeare touring Hamlet in Madrid. Perfect way to celebrate St George's Day as well as it being Shakespeare's birthday.
  • Options
    @CharltonMadrid - isn't Saint George patron saint of Catalonia as well? I know Madrid and Catalonia have differences but is there any kind of celebration out there? Hogmanay and Saint Patrick's Day are celebrated in London after all.
  • Options
    Got half a day booked off work to celebrate in Greenwich (about three of us..) with a pub crawl and perhaps on to the Bexley Beer Festival. Friday is gonna be tough...
  • Options
    centurion said:

@CharltonMadrid - isn't Saint George patron saint of Catalonia as well? I know Madrid and Catalonia have differences but is there any kind of celebration out there? Hogmanay and Saint Patrick's Day are celebrated in London after all.

No St George's celebrations here but it is also 'dia de los libros' (book day) with lots of events and a link to Catalonia as it is traditional to give a book as a present on San Jordi. Madrid's patron saint day is San Isidro on May 15th, and yes we have a day off!
  • Options
    Ketman said:

I am have taken it upon myself to turn Shepherd Neame's Monthly Staff Drinks night tomorrow into a St George's Day Celebration, dragging my Decks along to play a bit of music for the drinkers, we have got some DragonFire Ale on I Believe as well tomorrow, will take my Flag with me as well to display somewhere proudly in the bar. Sure to be some sore heads at work Friday morning.

Good to see you back P. Hope all is well with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

For those that frequent The Pelton Arms

"St Georges Day is tomorrow and so being the charitably English pub that we are...dinner is on us from 6pm - 7:30pm. Free bangers & mash or mini fish & chips for one and all. Dragons can be tied up in the garden."

Sounds like they're expecting a lot of people to bring their mother-in-law.
    centurion said:

@Greenie can see loads of mum-in-law or wife jokes coming after that one.

Keep up @centurion!
  • Options
    Ketman said:

Near-ish my house, monthly staff drinks, beer... Got any jobs going Ketman?
  • Options
    Will be drinking, celebrating being English
  • Options

iainment said:

Just another day for me.

Thanks for that.
    My pleasure,
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    God bless us one and all.

• Options

As Harolds Housecarls screamed at Hastings... "OWT, OWT,OWT"

It was a close run thing but it was an away victory in the end, oh the days!!!

It is a well known fact that Harold screamed `Careful with that you'll have someones fucking eye out'.
  • Options

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/st-georges-day-21-reasons-3445250

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.

George Formby and Vera Lynn it is then.
  • Options

It is a well known fact that Harold screamed `Careful with that you'll have someones fucking eye out'.
    And "Will you stop pissing about sewing and help!"
  • Options

I was pissed off with the result of course but at least we beat Millwall that year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daggs said:

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.

Hi Henry. You and I have discussed England before without much mutual agreement. Sit tight, I'm going to have another go;
    Yes! I know St George wasn't English. I don't care. He was and is just an icon around which we English can have a day to ourselves. Don't be frightened, it's just one day of celebration.
    Sadly, some people DO still try to tar St George's day with 'racism' It's nonsense, but it DOES happen. Because as we know all nationalist sentiment is wonderful, except English nationalist sentiment !!!
    You're correct Ska and Northern soul are not rooted in England, but just like a curry or Chinese meal, they have become ours. 'cause you know? we English are a very accepting bunch. We like lots of things that didn't come from England centuries ago.
    England still gets a miserable deal in the laughingly named 'United Kingdom' but that's politics and it will take on a new dimension after the forthcoming election.
    Tomorrow, I and three good friends will partake in a scooter ride around Kent, to celebrate St George's day.
    The scooters will of course be Lambrettas, an Italian creation. But more popular now in England than in Italy, because scooters have sort of become ours. There we go again!
    Enjoy tomorrow however you will, England is still the best country in the world (well in summertime anyway)

Peace and love ................... Daggs (Andy)
    Leave off. I have only disagreed with you about an English parliament. Don't try and put words in my mouth about racism etc etc which I have never used. No one has said St Georges day is racist on this thread. Get that chip off your shoulder, stop whining about how down trodden you are as an Englishman and enjoy it. He wasn't English, we all know that I hope but so what?

I have no problem with St George although as an atheist I don't really do saints. St Edmund was English and was our patron saint. That's a fact. And he was real unlike the Dragon.

I'm English and I'm proud of that. I love England for all its virtues and despite its faults. And I'm proud of that 365 days a years not just on one special day. But I'll be wearing the cross of St George in my label tomorrow anyway.

The English are accepting and they adopt foreign ideas and people willingly . We have a long and proud history of that which makes us great which why it such a shame when people moan about foreigners and immigrants while eating a curry and drining lager etc etc. Those people are ignorant but eventually they come round. Most of them.

But the fact remains Ska isn't English. Neither is curry. They play cricket in India and it is a big part of their culture but it was still invented by the English. It is English just like football and that stupid rugger game. We would laugh at an Italian claiming football was Italian or an American claiming the Beatles were American because they're not despite how much they are loved in those countries.

When we have so much to be proud of why pretend that Ska or Northern Soul (an exclusively American music) is English. The scene might be, like scooter clubs, but not the music or the scooters.
  • Options
    I dare say I can be tempted into a Bombarbier or two. Won't be the same without Rick Mayall though.
  • Options
    In the office till 1 then it will be off to the pub with about 8 fellas from work for the rest of the afternoon
  • Options
    If i could have got the day off of work i would be on the boat but as i couldn't and im not English i'll just have my usual 4 stella's at lunch then back to work then home to the family.

the charcoal burner in sidcup are putting on entertainment and drink offers so might pop in there on the way home.
  • Options
    On the boat tomorrow
  • Options
    More celebrations and music at the lib when the boat returns
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Daggs said:

Hi Henry. You and I have discussed England before without much mutual agreement. Sit tight, I'm going to have another go;
    Yes! I know St George wasn't English. I don't care. He was and is just an icon around which we English can have a day to ourselves. Don't be frightened, it's just one day of celebration.
    Sadly, some people DO still try to tar St George's day with 'racism' It's nonsense, but it DOES happen. Because as we know all nationalist sentiment is wonderful, except English nationalist sentiment !!!
    You're correct Ska and Northern soul are not rooted in England, but just like a curry or Chinese meal, they have become ours. 'cause you know? we English are a very accepting bunch. We like lots of things that didn't come from England centuries ago.
    England still gets a miserable deal in the laughingly named 'United Kingdom' but that's politics and it will take on a new dimension after the forthcoming election.
    Tomorrow, I and three good friends will partake in a scooter ride around Kent, to celebrate St George's day.
    The scooters will of course be Lambrettas, an Italian creation. But more popular now in England than in Italy, because scooters have sort of become ours. There we go again!
    Enjoy tomorrow however you will, England is still the best country in the world (well in summertime anyway)

Peace and love ................... Daggs (Andy)
    Leave off. I have only disagreed with you about an English parliament. TRUE. Don't try and put words in my mouth about racism etc etc which I have never used. AT NO POINT DID I SUGGEST THAT YOU DID, BUT SOME DO. No one has said St Georges day is racist on this thread. Get that chip off your shoulder, stop whining about how down trodden you are as an Englishman and enjoy it. I DON'T FEEL DOWNTRODDEN BUT WE DO GET A RUM POLITICAL DEAL. He wasn't English, we all know that I hope but so what? EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

I have no problem with St George although as an atheist I don't really do saints. St Edmund was English and was our patron saint. That's a fact. And he was real unlike the Dragon. I'M AN ATHEIST TOO. WE HAVE TWO THINGS IN COMMON.
    I'm English and I'm proud of that. I love England for all its virtues and despite its faults. And I'm proud of that 365 days a years not just on one special day. But I'll be wearing the cross of St George in my label tomorrow anyway.

The English are accepting and they adopt foreign ideas and people willingly . We have a long and proud history of that which makes us great which why it such a shame when people moan about foreigners and immigrants while eating a curry and drining lager etc etc. Those people are ignorant but eventually they come round. Most of them.

But the fact remains Ska isn't English. Neither is curry. They play cricket in India and it is a big part of their culture but it was still invented by the English. It is English just like football and that stupid rugger game. We would laugh at an Italian claiming football was Italian or an American claiming the Beatles were American because they're not despite how much they are loved in those countries.

When we have so much to be proud of why pretend that Ska or Northern Soul (an exclusively American music) is English. The scene might be, like scooter clubs, but not the music or the scooters. IT'S NOT PRETEND. IT'S ACCEPTING CHANGE.
    Apologies for the capitals, i just wanted to insert my comments into your response.

• Options
    Flying from one country that has George as a patron saint to another. Couple of beers at Gatwick on the way out and a red rose if I get a chance to pick one up before I leave... Real night on the piss later for mate's stag night.