Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

Comments

• Options

Flying from one country that has George as a patron saint to another. Couple of beers at Gatwick on the way out and a red rose if I get a chance to pick one up before I leave... Real night on the piss later for mate's stag night.

Just been informed that England shirts are de rigueur for the night, in celebration.

And, that curiously, my mate Bob Cotton, from Northampton is joining the Charlton boat on the Thames?
  • Options
    Daggs said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/st-georges-day-21-reasons-3445250

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.

Hi Henry. You and I have discussed England before without much mutual agreement. Sit tight, I'm going to have another go;
    Yes! I know St George wasn't English. I don't care. He was and is just an icon around which we English can have a day to ourselves. Don't be frightened, it's just one day of celebration.
    Sadly, some people DO still try to tar St George's day with 'racism' It's nonsense, but it DOES happen. Because as we know all nationalist sentiment is wonderful, except English nationalist sentiment !!!
    You're correct Ska and Northern soul are not rooted in England, but just like a curry or Chinese meal, they have become ours. 'cause you know? we English are a very accepting bunch. We like lots of things that didn't come from England centuries ago.
    England still gets a miserable deal in the laughingly named 'United Kingdom' but that's politics and it will take on a new dimension after the forthcoming election.
    Tomorrow, I and three good friends will partake in a scooter ride around Kent, to celebrate St George's day.
    The scooters will of course be Lambrettas, an Italian creation. But more popular now in England than in Italy, because scooters have sort of become ours. There we go again!
    Enjoy tomorrow however you will, England is still the best country in the world (well in summertime anyway)

Peace and love ................... Daggs (Andy)
    Knew it wouldn't be long !

Want to know why St George's day isn't more widely celebrated ? it's nonsense like this.
  • Options
    Got hospital on Friday so gonna miss the boat (quite literally) and miss me pals for what will be the first 23rd of April celebratory piss up for a very long time, be there in spirit though.

Sometimes living in France sucks balls
  • Options

Stag do in Edinburgh Friday morning so will be keeping my powder dry on Thursday.

Used to take a day's leave / half day for it and had some good / mixed days out. Priorities change now, its not particularly high on my list now but good luck to those that have a day outing.

The annual various bleating about embracing in comparison to St Patrick / Andrew / David does my swede in though.

Powder ain't no good wet
  • Options
    Curry, Chinese food and scooters are English now?

Good to see people have lots planned for the day. Definitely should be made a national holiday.
  • Options
    Watching a colleague do Morris Dancing with his troop outside my office in paddington at lunchtime.

Have a good one all!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Like the old Morris Dancers
  • Options
    Never really got it though, was at a pub near corfes castle and there was loads of them I didn't realise it wasn't just the same blokes doing it, there is hundreds of them
  • Options
    To mark St George's day at The Long Pond we will be serving traditional English ale....... Just as we do every other day of the year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy St Georges Day!

I hope everyone is standing erect this morning :smile:
  • Options
    Happy St Georges Day everyone ! Have a cracking day
  • Options
    Whatever you are or are not doing - Enjoy your day!! There'll always be an England.

Thanks to UKIP !
  • Options

Flying from one country that has George as a patron saint to another. Couple of beers at Gatwick on the way out and a red rose if I get a chance to pick one up before I leave... Real night on the piss later for mate's stag night.

Just been informed that England shirts are de rigueur for the night, in celebration.

And, that curiously, my mate Bob Cotton, from Northampton is joining the Charlton boat on the Thames?
    He is, he came last year as well, loved it, secret ska fan
  • Options
    Popping upto Alsford Timber this afternoon (need to order some decking and gravel boards) then a few beers in The Old King John and the Ashburnham Arms....probably end up with a chinese takeaway...happy St Georges Day.
  • Options

Watching a colleague do Morris Dancing with his troop outside my office in paddington at lunchtime.

Have a good one all!

I believe the term is 'side' for a group of Morris dancers rather than 'troop'.

Charlton Life pedantry is alive and well even on St George's Day!

:wink:
  • Options

Emily Thornberry invited you round for a cup of tea?
  • Options
    Happy St Georges Day one and all.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

He is, he came last year as well, loved it, secret ska fan
    Yeah - he told me - told him to say hello from me...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    April 23rd is a wonderful day because it ties in with the greatest English writer ever. It is such a shame so many are put off Shakespeare at school, but by the same token there are many first introduced to the Bard at school too.
    William Shakespeare, one of the greatest writers/artists the world has ever seen, the gift that keeps on giving, and thoroughly English. Happy birthday WS.
  • Options
    Happy Syrian soldier of the roman army day.... Bloody immigrants, coming over here killing our dragons
  • Options
    God bless one and all

God save the Queen

Happy St George's Day

• Options
    As an Irishman...Happy St George's Day to all of you. I will have a few beers at lunchtime with a group of mates from work in Canary Wharf and am delighted for all of you and they who embrace and celebrate your national Saint and Day.

Have a good one :smile:
  • Options
    I treated myself to root canal treatment to start my celebrations off.
  • Options
    Believe me, there was an England before UKIP and there will be an England long after Farage has departed for warmer climes ( oh yes he will ) !!!

Well done masicat, the only one to bite so far.
  • Options
    Having a few beverages in Linekers Tenerife
  • Options
    Just gave the lads a wave from the Bridge!