Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

124»

Comments

• Options
    Just seen a parade at the Riverhead in Grimsby, outside the National Fisheries Museum, the Northern Lincolnshire Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and off duty Lifeboatmen .. old naval veterans and 'Territorials', all ages from teens to forties (I guess) marching behind the White Ensign, all looking very smart and proud .. a nice sight .. I suppose they are all in the pub now toasting Big G
  • Options
    I hope they behaved !!!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I hope they behaved !!!

The Petty Officers whipped them into shape .. you know .. Rum Sodomy and the Lash ((:>) .. but seriously, nice group of men and more than a few women and 'girls'
  • Options
    I think all the sickies will be tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well, I've had a curry and a pint of pretend Indian lager, brewed in Reading. Perfect!
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Happy St Georges Day!

I hope everyone is standing erect this morning :smile:

That's just another morning for me :wink:
  • Options

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/st-georges-day-21-reasons-3445250

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.

Whilst the majority (but not all!) of the music may be American, the term Northern Soul is very much English and a lot of the songs and artists only became known via the interest from Northern England. So claiming it is from these shores isn't that unfair.

In fact, legend has it that the Soul Afficianado Dave Godin first coined the phrase "Northern Soul" and he once lived in good old Bexleyheath.....
  • Options
    Well I've celebrated the day properly. Been out on the sausage for a few hours and got coated off by er indoors. Literally can't wait for work tomorrow..
  • Options
    Today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

Believe me, there was an England before UKIP and there will be an England long after Farage has departed for warmer climes ( oh yes he will ) !!!

Well done masicat, the only one to bite so far.

Wasn't me biting Gramps, this was a nibble. When I bite I leave an impression.
  • Options
    Catalunya shares the patrón saint. So as per tradition, my wife bought me a book (I got Fear and Loathing in La Liga, and it's a great read) and bought roses for my wife and the girls, and the dragon came round for lunch. I had a quiet beer in the evening. I don't do saints, so it all leaves me cold, but I'm as happy as the next man for a party.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Curry, Chinese food and scooters are English now?

Good to see people have lots planned for the day. Definitely should be made a national holiday.

Ended up having a kebab.
  • Options
    Hanging like a cheap chandelier
  • Options
    Hi Masicat, nice to hear that you still have your own teeth. The only impression I can make is Frank Spencer, and none of the young buggers know who he is !
  • Options
    HandG said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/st-georges-day-21-reasons-3445250

This is good although having claimed Ska and Northern Soul as English (Jamaican and American respectively) you do have to doubt some of the other claims.

Whilst the majority (but not all!) of the music may be American, the term Northern Soul is very much English and a lot of the songs and artists only became known via the interest from Northern England. So claiming it is from these shores isn't that unfair.

In fact, legend has it that the Soul Afficianado Dave Godin first coined the phrase "Northern Soul" and he once lived in good old Bexleyheath.....
    Cobblers - I don't call myself a "South Wales Rockabilly". My missus reckons half the chippy northerners who are into it are only doing so because of the "northern" moniker, if it had been called "Southern soul" they would be telling everyone it's shite... :wink:
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Hi Masicat, nice to hear that you still have your own teeth. The only impression I can make is Frank Spencer, and none of the young buggers know who he is !

Oooooooo Betty....
  • Options
    Happy St George's Day everyone
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

A bit lengthy but here is a synopsis of yesterday with fellow addicks Glen and Matt Townsend and our journey to follow their uncle Henry a century on at Ypres,

Yesterday was a truly magnificent day on the Ypres Salient and one I will remember for a long long time, in brief we followed the last action of Henry Townsend, 1 York & Lancs and their attack from La Belle Alliance Farm up to Turco Farm. 100 years ago to the minute.

Along with relatives Glen and Matt Townsend our happy band set off from La Brique as we followed the battalions movements armed with war diaries, regimental histories, maps and linesman. It could not have been a more perfect afternoon, as we retraced the steps of Henry we paused at the grave of his CO, Lt Col Burt in New Irish Farm and toasted his memory with a dram of 16 year old malt before pushing on as those in the hastily arranged 'Geddis Force' had done a century earlier.

On reaching La Belle Alliance we met 'Tam' who had lost his Grandfather with the 3 Middlesex on the same day alongside Greg aka @mapleleafup who was following the 1 & 4 CEF in the same attack.

It seems amazing that all three groups, not knowing each other, met by chance shared stories, maps and resources before wishing each other well and following their respective units as we trapsed further into the battlefield.

The plum resource we possessed was a sketch map drawn of the battlefield on the day by battalion Machine Gun officer Lt E G Lousarde that although 100 years on matched the ground perfectly and Hedge 'A', Hedge 'B', Stream 'C' & finally Hedge 'D' were all located with ease as if the battle was yesterday.

The open ground, lack of cover and climb up to the German positions were just awe inspiring when we considered the efforts of our ancestors with only the dead ground by the stream offering the chance to rest, reflect and remember.

As we ended our walk we viewed back over the ground we had just walked from the stunning No Mans Cot Cemetery and the efforts, sacrifices and achievements of that scratch force that stemmed the German advance on April 23 1915 truly hit home.

As we toasted the regiment, Henry Townsend and of course St George we felt, sorrow, gratitude, empathy and pride for all our lads had endured and accomplished. And so ended an amazing day on the Battlefields, one I will never forget and a most memorable St Georgies day in the Ypres Salient.

Magnificent! Hats off to you honoring the heroes from WWI