Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    In the most part I’m a placid kind of guy, outside of work I’ve not been in a violent situation for going on thirty years but sometimes I get an fleeting desire to just go and punch some random in the back of the head. Not because I’m angry at the time, just because. For instance I was at the checkout in Morrisons today and there was a lad of about 25 at the self-serve, doing nothing offensive, and I just wanted to go and flatten him. Is it just me and if it is should I seek help?
  • Options
    In the most part I’m a placid kind of guy, outside of work I’ve not been in a violent situation for going on thirty years but sometimes I get an overwhelming desire to just go and punch some random in the back of the head. Not because I’m angry at the time, just because. For instance I was at the checkout in Morrisons today and there was a lad of about 25 at the self-serve, doing nothing offensive, and I just wanted to go and flatten him. Is it just me and if it is should I seek help?
    You should have flattened him, then the police would have helped you to new environment and surroundings. Seriously, I think you should definitely seek help
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    In the most part I’m a placid kind of guy, outside of work I’ve not been in a violent situation for going on thirty years but sometimes I get an overwhelming desire to just go and punch some random in the back of the head. Not because I’m angry at the time, just because. For instance I was at the checkout in Morrisons today and there was a lad of about 25 at the self-serve, doing nothing offensive, and I just wanted to go and flatten him. Is it just me and if it is should I seek help?
    You should have flattened him, then the police would have helped you to new environment and surroundings. Seriously, I think you should definitely seek help

Do you think? I’ve probably made it sound worse than it is. I wasn’t obsessing, I just glanced at him, thought ‘yeah, I’d slap him’ and then I went back to looking at my phone. 

Having read my post it it does sound like I’m a budding psycho but I’m really a massive non-fighter and huge pussy cat. Maybe should’ve kept that post in my head.
  • Options
    I don't think you're alone AUN. I reckon people have all sorts of fleeting things whizzing in and out of their consciousness that they'd never act on. It's one of the great mysteries of life that we never truly know what anyone else is thinking.
  • Options
    People that get right down the front at gigs, up against the barriers, then just stand there not moving / dancing for the whole night. Why? Surely they could get a good view elsewhere and not be constantly banged onto by drunks going mental. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ross1 said:

Do you think? I’ve probably made it sound worse than it is. I wasn’t obsessing, I just glanced at him, thought ‘yeah, I’d slap him’ and then I went back to looking at my phone. 

Having read my post it it does sound like I’m a budding psycho but I’m really a massive non-fighter and huge pussy cat. Maybe should’ve kept that post in my head.
    I think we all get weird urges.

The train platform being the most talked about. Many people get a feeling, an urge to jump onto the tracks. Very few people go through with it, because for the majority it is just a weird urge that we have no intent on acting upon. 

My friend and I were chatting while fishing recently and both have had similar urges to you, not infrequently. Neither of us get in fights ever and are both pretty placid too. 

Don't concern yourself with it until you feel yourself moving from a passive urge to an unrelenting desire. 

(Apologies for the late response, hopefully you haven't battered the guy but I don't often open this thread)
  • Options
    In the most part I’m a placid kind of guy, outside of work I’ve not been in a violent situation for going on thirty years but sometimes I get an fleeting desire to just go and punch some random in the back of the head. Not because I’m angry at the time, just because. For instance I was at the checkout in Morrisons today and there was a lad of about 25 at the self-serve, doing nothing offensive, and I just wanted to go and flatten him. Is it just me and if it is should I seek help?
    you have an exacting and demanding job, it's natural that you sometimes have some pent up aggressive feelings outside of work that you must contain whilst at work .. do NOT f f s wallop an inmate, cos there will go your job, pension, and of course, your reputation on here as a man of peace  o:)
  • Options
    confused.com ? .. repetition time .. Nigel Adkin's team selections, tactics and his after match 'analysis' ..the last  a great example of contemporary drivel and evading the topic talk
  • Options
    I note that Britney Spears has celebrated a good day in court by going naked and posting the pictures on instagram. 

I really don't get the correlation of celebration, nakedness and exhibitionism.  Dear God if this catches on and Charlton ever win a home game again I'll be running for the hills around the Valley.

... Mind you, not too many Britney lookalikes near where I sit. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Currently selling a house, it's all going well but why the hell can't I just pick up the phone and talk to someone instead of doing it all online. 
  • Options
    Here's one for the physicists and engineers:

Let's say that you can run a mile in 7 minutes (the exact time is not important).

If you try running the same mile while carrying a bike, it will take longer.

Then let's say that you can bike a mile in 4 minutes (again, the exact time doesn't matter).

All the power in each example comes from the same source (ie you).  The total weight in each case is similar.

So, why is running so inefficient?  Running and cycling both rely on pushing with the foot/leg.  And it's nothing to do with bike gearing as you could still go faster than running even with no gears.

First guess is friction as the contact area for the bike is smaller ... but, whatever the reason, it's telling us that current running speeds could be vastly improved.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Good question Dave Rudd. I suspect your friction idea probably gives part of the answer. I think a couple of other things that will contribute are that when running you are constantly changing the direction of power in your legs so I don't thinks that's very efficient. On a bike your trailing leg effectively gets a free ride back to its starting position. Also the movement is circular so you don't lose energy thumping down on the road surface, everything is smoother.
  • Options
    Bicycle gears are very efficient at converting pedal strokes into distance. So one pedal stroke will push you further than one stride for less energy.
    I don’t know the physics but it’s that basically.
  • Options
    The Fantasies that helps you cope with domestic chores thread.
  • Options
    Also you can build a head of steam on a bike, if you stop peddling your momentum can still carry further, if you stopped running well you stop.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Bicycle gears are very efficient at converting pedal strokes into distance. So one pedal stroke will push you further than one stride for less energy.
    I tried my best.

It's nothing to do with bike gearing as you could still go faster than running even with no gears.

EricBanterna said:
    Also you can build a head of steam on a bike, if you stop peddling your momentum can still carry further, if you stopped running well you stop.

So, where does that momentum go?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    iainment said:
    I tried my best.

It's nothing to do with bike gearing as you could still go faster than running even with no gears.

EricBanterna said:

i think you might be misunderstanding gears in this instance. it is basically newton's laws in practice. in both instances, a down pressure of a leg/foot is turned into forward motion. 

running is a downward pressure to move forward. it is not very efficient and relies on the strength in the leg to spring forward.

with a bike, the gearing is important. your downward pressure turns a large cog which, importantly, turns a small cog attached to the rear wheel. the ratio (and gearing) between the pedal, chain and wheel is much more efficient than running, the back wheel turning much further in one downward pressure of the pedal than someone using the same amount of energy to make one step.

it is a bit more complex than this as you can add in friction and resistance to the equation, which is why someone running might beat someone on a bike going up hill. but on the flat, motion is turned into energy much better on a bike
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    iainment said:
    I tried my best.

EricBanterna said:

i think you might be misunderstanding gears in this instance. it is basically newton's laws in practice. in both instances, a down pressure of a leg/foot is turned into forward motion. 

running is a downward pressure to move forward. it is not very efficient and relies on the strength in the leg to spring forward.

with a bike, the gearing is important. your downward pressure turns a large cog which, importantly, turns a small cog attached to the rear wheel. the ratio (and gearing) between the pedal, chain and wheel is much more efficient than running, the back wheel turning much further in one downward pressure of the pedal than someone using the same amount of energy to make one step.

it is a bit more complex than this as you can add in friction and resistance to the equation, which is why someone running might beat someone on a bike going up hill. but on the flat, motion is turned into energy much better on a bike
    Looks like it's all down to the drivetrain.

I note that the World record speed on a penny farthing is about 18 mph (where there is no drivetrain) ... so back into running territory, but still better.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    iainment said:
    I tried my best.

EricBanterna said:

A bike with “no gears” has one. No bike has no gears.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    iainment said:
    I tried my best.

EricBanterna said:

A bike with “no gears” has one. No bike has no gears.
    That would be the drivetrain.

:) 
  • Options
    Air miles 
  • Options
    How Phil Parkinson keeps getting work, even the lower he goes. Currently upsetting Wrexham fans. Atrocious manager.
  • Options
    I thought visibility was terrible this morning driving down to work in the dark and rain along a busy A30. It wasn't til I'd been driving for around an hour, coming into Truro that I realised I was wearing my reading glasses that I'd put on to check my phone when I was waking up.  

As Bill Bryson said "I recently realized with dismay that I am even too old now for early onset dementia".
  • Options
    How Phil Parkinson keeps getting work, even the lower he goes. Currently upsetting Wrexham fans. Atrocious manager.
    Given he's gone from League One to Conference its really bad that he's struggling

Especially given the fact he's got the League Two top scorer from last season
  • Options
    I thought visibility was terrible this morning driving down to work in the dark and rain along a busy A30. It wasn't til I'd been driving for around an hour, coming into Truro that I realised I was wearing my reading glasses that I'd put on to check my phone when I was waking up.  

As Bill Bryson said "I recently realized with dismay that I am even too old now for early onset dementia".
    I realised recently that, from now on, the only way anyone might refer to me as “young” would be if I died.
    😳
  • Options
    Didn't he do quite well at Bradford and Bolton?

And there's the 'everyone fails at Sunderland' opinion prevailing meaning Wrexham would have looked at that and quite reasonably thought he's been decent for years at a couple of levels above.

There are far worse managers out there too.
  • Options
    Yeah I like Parky. Good honest manager who managed to get a results out of our pretty rubbish League One side.