Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    Is Michael Portillo an Addick, or not?
  • Options
    A question or two for the more 'woke' amongst us:

1) How does the BBC justify a 'Woman's Hour' on Radio 4?

As a man, should I be offended by this blatant sexism?

2) Back in the 1950s/60s, many comedians would incorporate 'funny voices' as part of their act (The Goons, Benny Hill etc).  These would often involve (for example) Indian or Chinese accents.

It has now become racist to parody such accents.  However, people like Sandy Toksvig and other QI regulars seem quite happy to adopt American, Italian, German accents when delivering their high-class banter.

My question ... aren't such actions equally racists ... or does the accent have to be Asian or something?  If so, where is the cut-off of acceptability?

Greece?  Turkey?  Crete?
  • Options
    You shouldn't be offended by Woman's Hour any more than you should be offended by Men's Health magazine or Prostate Cancer UK. There are issues that are of more interest to one sex than the other and it's only right that public organisations should cater for them. 'Should you waste your time listening to Woman's Hour?' would be a more pertinent question. To which the answer is that whilst it occasionally has interesting features, its over-interest in issues that only affect upper-middle class career women (who will, somewhat ironically, be at work at the time the programme is aired) means that it is usually no more of a good listen than utter dross like The Archers. Consequently the sensible thing to do at 10am is to switch over to James O'Brien.
  • Options
    How Phil Parkinson keeps getting work, even the lower he goes. Currently upsetting Wrexham fans. Atrocious manager.
    Didn't he do quite well at Bradford and Bolton?

And there's the 'everyone fails at Sunderland' opinion prevailing meaning Wrexham would have looked at that and quite reasonably thought he's been decent for years at a couple of levels above.

There are far worse managers out there too.
    37% win record at Bradford, who are a decent sized club for that level and 31% at Bolton, who had just been relegated.

There were financial factors involved I admit, but I wouldnt say its that convincing a record.

His football is bland and he's in as much dinosaur territory as Adkins. I certainly wouldnt be putting him in charge of a project like Wrexham.
  • Options
    How Phil Parkinson keeps getting work, even the lower he goes. Currently upsetting Wrexham fans. Atrocious manager.
    Didn't he do quite well at Bradford and Bolton?

And there's the 'everyone fails at Sunderland' opinion prevailing meaning Wrexham would have looked at that and quite reasonably thought he's been decent for years at a couple of levels above.

There are far worse managers out there too.
    37% win record at Bradford, who are a decent sized club for that level and 31% at Bolton, who had just been relegated.

There were financial factors involved I admit, but I wouldnt say its that convincing a record.

His football is bland and he's in as much dinosaur territory as Adkins. I certainly wouldnt be putting him in charge of a project like Wrexham.
    Although there was a League Cup Final in there.
  • Options
    And a promotion!
  • Options
    How far away was Denis Wise sat?

The white furniture makes it look like he's in a high chair
  • Options
    How far away was Denis Wise sat?

He’s standing on a ladder 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    You shouldn't be offended by Woman's Hour any more than you should be offended by Men's Health magazine or Prostate Cancer UK. There are issues that are of more interest to one sex than the other and it's only right that public organisations should cater for them. 'Should you waste your time listening to Woman's Hour?' would be a more pertinent question. To which the answer is that whilst it occasionally has interesting features, its over-interest in issues that only affect upper-middle class career women (who will, somewhat ironically, be at work at the time the programme is aired) means that it is usually no more of a good listen than utter dross like The Archers. Consequently the sensible thing to do at 10am is to switch over to James O'Brien.
    Well ... I appreciate the in-depth advice.  Safe to say that I am not offended, but still unsure how the woke community might defend the existence of such a program.

I mean ... doesn't it imply that the rest of Radio 4 is there for men?  Or can I look forward to a 'Men's Hour' (which doubtless will deal with issues that are of more interest to one sex than the other and it's only right that public organisations should cater for them)?

Can't have it both ways, can we?
  • Options
    I note this product cost £8 in Tesco.  It is 100% sea water.  Is this the biggest scam since Del boy's Peckham Spring?

• Options
    How people can talk on the phone with the TV or radio blaring out
  • Options
    I note this product cost £8 in Tesco.  It is 100% sea water.  Is this the biggest scam since Del boy's Peckham Spring?

No way! This is the only product that cures me!
  • Options

Fair enough. I just looked at that bit on the bottom of the product and thought a day out in Margate could set you up for several years.  :)
  • Options
    Why people take photos of fireworks.

They all look the same, no one is interested, you're never even going to look at them yourselves either, just enjoy the display. 

Caveat: photos of sparklers make more sense.
  • Options
    Also why you never see Catherine Wheels any more.

Dangerous?  Too low for people to see?

Genuinely always thought they were the best one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why aren't there dead birds everywhere on the ground? Loads of them in the sky and they don't live forever.
  • Options
    Why aren't there dead birds everywhere on the ground? Loads of them in the sky and they don't live forever.
    Foxes
  • Options
    There aren't many Foxes in the USA. Again, no dead birds.
  • Options
    Copied from internet...

It's rare to see a dead bird on the ground, but it is also rare to see a dead mouse or rat – which are generally much more numerous. ... Birds don't usually drop dead in mid-flight – they die in their nest or are caught and eaten, much like other small animals.
  • Options
    In my working life I sometimes had to work on cell sites in central London.  It involved going onto flat roofs of buildings and I often noticed avian skeletons.  I think they like to find somewhere quiet to die.  
  • Options
    In my working life I sometimes had to work on cell sites in central London.  It involved going onto flat roofs of buildings and I often noticed avian skeletons.  I think they like to find somewhere quiet to die.  
    Tank rooms or under plant are general places to find the bones
  • Options
    How the swampi girl, begging / busking outside the supermarket not only got hold of a raven and dalmatian (looks pedigree), but a sulphur crested cockatoo. 

• Options

Found two this week in the garden.  Blackbird and a Blue Tit both looked healthy enough but were dead as a door nail.  Bit worrying with Avian Flu back on the agenda so keeping my chooks in.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    How the swampi girl, begging / busking outside the supermarket not only got hold of a raven and dalmatian (looks pedigree), but a sulphur crested cockatoo. 

I need a picture to accompany this.