Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    if I want to try this or am irrationally disgusted by it

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64727626 
    Their coffee will still be shit though
    oh definitely, I wouldn't drink Starbucks if offered for free.

it's the olive oil bit that intrigues me
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Coffee?? I thought they just served hot milk 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Coffee?? I thought they just served hot milk 
    Hot milk and oil now, it seems
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    How to pronounce the word 'foray'.
    I'd emphasise the first syllable but I notice people often seem to stress the second and lengthen it a bit, including @JiMMy 85 who uses it quite a lot in those little films he puts out on a Sunday evening. Which is what has prompted me to post this.
    So FORay, or forAY? Or is either correct?

If you want to find the word stress for any word it's normally indicated in any good dictionary.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/foray

Under the word itself is the phonetic spelling so that the pronunciation is clear (if you know the phonetic alphabet). The word stress is indicated by an apostrophe before the stressed syllable.
    So in this case, you are right @IdleHans and @JiMMy 85 is incorrect.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    When I was at school the USSR (ie Russia and other surrounding countries) was in the continent of Asia.

Yet all the news reports on the Ukraine business refer to war in Europe rather than Asia.
    But the war is not in Russia, it's in Ukraine, so therefore it's in Europe @LenGlover
  • Options
    After 20 years of living in France, there are still a few things that confuse me. 
    For example, why do people willingly pay more for the dirty carrots (1€89/kg) than for the clean ones (1€19/kg)?

• Options
    No such thing as bad publicity, jIMMY.

For the avoidance of doubt, I've watched them all from charlwood on and liked every one of your mini-masterpieces (better?). And the Charlton asides really make them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What are these films you're talking about?
  • Options
    What are these films you're talking about?

Bunch of Amateurs on YouTube, been going a couple of years or so, covering Charlwood to begin with then picking up with Dorking Wanderers. A new video comes out most Sundays.
    There's some match action but it's as much about following the characters who drive the amateur game, the manager of Charlwood and his assistant and the owner/manager of Dorking. I won't give any spoilers but both strands are well worth following from the very beginning. You'll notice @Jimmy85 throws in lots of Charlton related asides and painful puns in his voiceovers. I'm glad to recommend them.
    Like and subscribe, as they always say.

• Options
    I just watched the first episode.
    It's very good but I can't help seeing the stereotypical manager as Ricky Gervais in a parody on amateur football and chuckling at him.
  • Options
    I just watched the first episode.
    It's very good but I can't help seeing the stereotypical manager as Ricky Gervais in a parody on amateur football and chuckling at him.
    It starts well and gets better as it goes along, partly Jimmy85 finding what works best and partly getting to know the characters involved. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Hal1x said:
    Why so many Americans give their kids the same name.  George William Pett Jr, George William Pett III and all that.

Is it an ego thing?  

Must get confusing when post arrives for a Mr G Pett etc before the younger moves out.
    Its cos they aint got no heritage or culture like what we haves over here, either that or they cant cope with too many names
    They go mad for their whole heritage thing, 6 generations down the line and they're all "I'm Italian", "an Irish girl, eh?" etc.  So you think they'd pick a different Italian, Irish or whatever name.
    Only certain heritage though.

"Italian American" and "Irish American" seem to be the most popular, at least in films, but it's funny how you don't really hear many people saying they're "English American". 

Do they have St George's day parades anywhere?
  • Options
    Bob's lot messaging me to offer enhanced odds on Marcus Rashford having a shot on target against Newcastle FIFTY MINUTES INTO THE MATCH.
    Idiots.
  • Options
    Just for a second, but I swear I heard Huw Edwards introduce the next reporter on News at Ten as "Arsehole correspondent". Took me a moment to work out the story was from Korea.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Bob's lot messaging me to offer enhanced odds on Marcus Rashford having a shot on target against Newcastle FIFTY MINUTES INTO THE MATCH.
    Idiots.
    It’ll be an in-play bet
  • Options
    How you sail into the wind 🧐

(I’m going to google/ YouTube it later to get unfused) 🤓
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When three cars arrive at a three way roundabout at the same time.  Who goes first?  :/
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    When three cars arrive at a three way roundabout at the same time.  Who goes first?  :/
    Everyone at the same time, after all being nice and waiting, but then thinking "Ah, sod it, I'll go then" at the same split second.
  • Options
    These blackcurrants happy about being take to the Ribena factory to have their heads smashed in and drunk by humans.
  • Options
    We've got a pool car at work which is fully electric. There's a charger built into the wall and we're told to always plug it in if we've been out and about.

I was amused today to find out that it won't start because the 12v battery is dead.

I know why for safety reasons electric cars still rely on a separate 12v system for all the accessories, but is there really no way of these cars jump starting themselves?!
  • Options
    Why?

• Options
    The popularity of Robbie Williams and James Corden 
  • Options
    The McDonalds advert made to look like Ceefax/Teletext.

Basically, remember the 90s?  McDonalds was there in the 90s!!

Yeah, and there was a massive issue over the safety of beefburgers... why remind everyone?
  • Options
    The McDonalds advert made to look like Ceefax/Teletext.

Basically, remember the 90s?  McDonalds was there in the 90s!!

Yeah, and there was a massive issue over the safety of beefburgers... why remind everyone?