Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Greaves

Suffered a severe stroke yesterday and is in intensive care.

Comments

• Options
    Shit news. One of my favourite ever players and football characters. Get well soon, Greavesy.
  • Options

Suffered a severe stroke yesterday and is in intensive care.

Best wishes to him and his family. Both my parents were lost to strokes so I can really relate to what the family are going through.
  • Options
    Too young to see him play except as an old man in his son Danny's testimonial (he looked a cut above there). Loved Saint & Greavsie though, essential viewing when I was younger. Get well soon.
  • Options
    Sad news.

I hope he can recover.
  • Options
    Get well soon
  • Options
    Get well soon Jimmy
  • Options
    Oh dear, fingers crossed for him. Brilliant goalscorer.
  • Options
    get well soon.
  • Options
    So sad. Was due to be inducted into the Spurs Hall of Fame later this month (it's a bloody joke he has waited this long given who else has been inducted already). So hope he pulls through. One of the Spurs greats.
  • Options
    For a couple of years my Dad used to take me one week to watch us and the next to watch Spurs. That Spurs side included the likes of Alan Gilzean, Alan Mullery, Cyril Knowles, Joe Kinnear, Pat Jennings, Mike England, Cliff Jones etc etc but it was, of course, Jimmy the goalscorer with that rapid turn of pace that I remember most from those days.

Get well soon Jimmy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Jim.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So sad. Was due to be inducted into the Spurs Hall of Fame later this month (it's a bloody joke he has waited this long given who else has been inducted already). So hope he pulls through. One of the Spurs greats.

It's not for me to comment on Spurs matters but who of that era is more worthy of a place in a Hall of Fame than Greaves?

Blanchflower and Mackay are up there maybe but who else? Johnny White?
  • Options
    Get well soon Greavesy

Gutting news, played a few rds of fold with him over the last few years,

God bless ya Jim
  • Options
    All the best to Greavsy. Pull through mate.
  • Options
    Get well soon Greavsie. A true Legend on and off the field.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Christ almighty, if Jimmy Greaves is not already in the a Spurs Hall of Fame then God only knows who they have got in there in front of him!

Vinnie Samways? Mark Falco? John Chiedozie?
  • Options
    Real shame, get well soon.
  • Options
    The greatest English goalscorer of all time. Best wishes to him.
  • Options
    Sad news. Get well soon
  • Options
    Me and a few school mates went to see Spurs v Man U around 64/5. So many greats playing that afternoon.

Jimmy Greaves gave an absolute masterclass in the art of making goalscoring look simple.

No fuss when he scored, just ran back to the centre circle as one or two Spurs players gave him a pat on the back.

Get well soon Jimmy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

JohnBoyUK said:

It's not for me to comment on Spurs matters but who of that era is more worthy of a place in a Hall of Fame than Greaves?

Blanchflower and Mackay are up there maybe but who else? Johnny White?
    In my opinion the best English striker ever. Unless Spurs are just starting a Hall of Fame how can he not be in it already?
  • Options
    All the best Greavsey
  • Options
    Sad news, get well soon Greavsie.

Seems he's never really forgiven Spurs for the way he was forced out, he's never even been back to watch a game there. Apparently he turned down the hall of fame a couple of times, although he's often said he avoids reunions etc if he can because of the amount of booze that flows at them.
  • Options
    Led a stressful life and at one time he was an alcoholic .. what a real shame .. stroke, what an innocuous word for a terrible occurrence, 'Hammer Blow' would be more appropriate .. Get well soon Jimmy
  • Options
    Get well soon Greavsie!
  • Options
    I assumed I was too young to see him play, but apparently I went to Barnet with my dad when Greaves was playing there. I don't remember him, by my old man reckons he was the best player on the pitch despite being close to 40 and (probably) pissed.
    For those of my generation he'll always be remembered for Saint and Greavsie - essential Saturday lunchtime viewing.
    Hope he pulls through.
  • Options
    Get well soon Jim!
  • Options
    Remember Greavsie as the bloke who missed out on the World Cup in 66 by injury as he was England's top forward at the time and Some bloke called Geoff Hurst got a lucky hat trick.
    Jimmy, get well mate you ARE a legend.
  • Options
    If Greavsie had played in that '66 World Cup final at Wembley it would never have even got to extra time.

Best striker I ever saw, get well soon !