Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Greaves

Comments

• Options
    Great programme on BT Sport about him
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Happy 80th Birthday Jimmy
    Surprised he's only 80 tbh.

Happy Birthday, Jimmy.
  • Options
    and thats exactly what I'm watching tonight :)
  • Options
    Jimmy is back in hospital tonight apparently :(. no other details!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Jimmy is back in hospital tonight apparently :(. no other details!
    Hope he's ok 
  • Options
    Get well soon Greavsie 
  • Options
    Brilliant footballer who I was once lucky enough to see play and score the only goal at WHL against Leeds United in the early seventies.
    Get well Jimmy.
  • Options
    saw this only the other day. i knew he was good but cant believe how good he was. he glided across those awful pitches. and what a killer instinct in front of goal. 

shame Bill Nicholson frozen him out in the end. going to west ham certainly didn't do any favours for his alcoholism but by then it might of already taken a hold. 
  • Options
    I hadn't realised how good his record at Chelsea was before he moved to Milan

132 goals in 169 matches before he left aged just 21.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    his playing days were a bit before my time but i've got a lot of time for Greaves, lucky enough to have met him a couple of times and despite him being told not to bother with the sweaty by my boss at the time he made a joke about wondering why i asked him about Wembley in 67 and he thought i was just a bit simple. (we were all shit faced at a charity do, was a lot funnier than it sounds)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fabulous goal scorer. Stayed calm in front of goal, made scoring look like a doddle a lot of the time, but equally scored plenty where he showed just how brilliant a footballer he was.
    Think I’m right in saying he scored on every debut for a club he joined?
    Hope he recovers, going to check out what videos there are of him on YouTube now and enjoy remembering some of his finest moments.

• Options
    happy birthday Jimmy, one of my all-time favourites 
  • Options
    Like Bob says...he was the very best. Hope he gets well.
  • Options
    reading his book at the moment how times have changed tenner a week wages in those days. never saw him play in the flesh. used to love watching Saint and Greavsie Saturday lunchtime in the pub before playing or going to Charlton. Top bloke by all accounts  hope he pulls through  
  • Options
    I’ve always loved Greavesie. I don’t think he ever quite got over being left out of the 66 World Cup final. Mind you, his replacement didn’t do too bad did he! 
  • Options
    You just have to have so much respect for Greavsie beating the booze the way he did.

From what I understand his health has been failing for some time but even in wishing him all the best you'd have to say that no matter what happens he has lived an incredible life.

First he was a hero on the pitch and then he was a hero off it, beating an addiction that kills so many people and ruins so many lives and inspiring people all over again.
  • Options
    Too young to have seen him, but I reckon the best English goal scorer bar none. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The best English striker in my lifetime and truly a world class footballer.

Best wishes, Greavsie.
    My boyhood hero.

44 goals in 57 matches for England and 422 goals in 602 appearances for Chelsea, Spurs, AC Milan and West Ham.

I thought a most telling contribution on the documentary was an observance made by Glen Hoddle (another genius imo).

“I had a knock at the time, so I wasn’t training and I looked in on the training session and one thing struck me about him. I was flabbergasted by the fact that he never looked at the game that was unfolding in front of him or where the ball was. Instead, he was looking around himself all the time, checking where he was, where the goal was and where his nearest defender was.

“It baffled me at the time, but then the ball came to him and I could see that he was a step or two ahead of everyone else on the pitch because he was fully aware of where he was in relation to the goal and that gave him an edge on the defenders who were trying and failing to mark him.

“One touch, two touch and he was shooting. Defenders couldn’t handle it and he scored so many goals in that practice game that it left a lasting impression on me.

“I play in the middle of the park, but Jimmy showed me that you still need to have 360-degree vision around you to give yourself the best chance to make an impact on a game. It was a revelation to me and that was an important part of my game from that point forward.”

This should be in the strange but true football facts thread - Glenn Hoddle watching Jimmy Greaves at a training session when he was injured?

According to wikipedia, Glenn Hoddle would have been 13 when Jimmy Greaves left Spurs? 

That aside...get well soon Jimmy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Best wishes, Greavsie.
    My boyhood hero.

44 goals in 57 matches for England and 422 goals in 602 appearances for Chelsea, Spurs, AC Milan and West Ham.

I thought a most telling contribution on the documentary was an observance made by Glen Hoddle (another genius imo).

“I had a knock at the time, so I wasn’t training and I looked in on the training session and one thing struck me about him. I was flabbergasted by the fact that he never looked at the game that was unfolding in front of him or where the ball was. Instead, he was looking around himself all the time, checking where he was, where the goal was and where his nearest defender was.

“It baffled me at the time, but then the ball came to him and I could see that he was a step or two ahead of everyone else on the pitch because he was fully aware of where he was in relation to the goal and that gave him an edge on the defenders who were trying and failing to mark him.

“One touch, two touch and he was shooting. Defenders couldn’t handle it and he scored so many goals in that practice game that it left a lasting impression on me.

“I play in the middle of the park, but Jimmy showed me that you still need to have 360-degree vision around you to give yourself the best chance to make an impact on a game. It was a revelation to me and that was an important part of my game from that point forward.”

This should be in the strange but true football facts thread - Glenn Hoddle watching Jimmy Greaves at a training session when he was injured?

According to wikipedia, Glenn Hoddle would have been 13 when Jimmy Greaves left Spurs? 

Good spot @SporadicAddick     Perhaps I should have included this paragraph too ...  :)

“The one outstanding memory for me about Jimmy Greaves was when he came back to Tottenham to train for a week ahead of his testimonial match,” Hoddle says. “I had broken into the first team, but I was still new to the game at senior level and it was exciting to have a chance to watch a legendary player like Jimmy up close and personal.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Best wishes, Greavsie.
    My boyhood hero.

Good spot @SporadicAddick     Perhaps I should have included this paragraph too ...  :)

“The one outstanding memory for me about Jimmy Greaves was when he came back to Tottenham to train for a week ahead of his testimonial match,” Hoddle says. “I had broken into the first team, but I was still new to the game at senior level and it was exciting to have a chance to watch a legendary player like Jimmy up close and personal.
     :D 
  • Options
    My dad was from North London and a Spurs fan, before marrying my mum and moving south of the river.
    He took me to quite a few Spurs games when I was quite young, before switching to Charlton as the journey was too onerous.

I saw Greavsie play quite a few games but I could only have been about 5 years old.
    Even at that age I knew he was something special. 

I've always had a soft spot for Greavsie and he looked a lot like my dad in his later years.
  • Options
    his playing days were a bit before my time but i've got a lot of time for Greaves, lucky enough to have met him a couple of times and despite him being told not to bother with the sweaty by my boss at the time he made a joke about wondering why i asked him about Wembley in 67 and he thought i was just a bit simple. (we were all shit faced at a charity do, was a lot funnier than it sounds)
    Sussed you quickly then mate.
  • Options
    I saw him play for Barnet in the late 70's.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I saw him play for Barnet in the late 70's.
    And? 
  • Options
    In August 1977 and still coping with alcoholism, Greaves made his debut for Barnet in a 3–2 win against Atherstone Town.  Playing from midfield in 1977–78, Greaves netted 25 goals (13 in the Southern League) and was their player of the season.

Billy Meadow's Barnet's manager described the goal he scored against Edgware Town in a cup match as one of the greatest goals ever courtesy of the greatest goal scorer the world had ever seen.

Barnet were holding the home side 0-0 in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup when the Bees' pint-sized midfielder picks the ball up 40 yards from goal and plays a one-two with striker John Fairbrothe.  
    Shaping to shoot, he drops his shoulder sending the Edgware goalkeeper and 500 bemused spectators to the left, before calmly stroking the ball into the opposite corner. The moment is still the stuff of legend at the White Lion Ground.

• Options
    Good news for a great footballer and a great guy.
  • Options
    Excellent