Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Greaves

Comments

• Options
    One of my football heroes ...all the best Jimmy
  • Options
    as some of you have asked...

March, 2004
    Bill Nicholson
    Bill Brown
    Peter Baker
    Ron Henry
    Danny Blanchflower
    Maurice Norman
    Dave Mackay
    Cliff Jones
    John White
    Bobby Smith
    Les Allen
    Terry Dyson
    Terry Medwin

May, 2004
    Keith Burkinshaw

October, 2004
    Pat Jennings

March, 2005
    Gary Mabbutt

May, 2005
    Alan Mullery

November, 2005
    Gary Lineker

March, 2006
    Martin Peters

December, 2006
    Glenn Hoddle

April, 2007
    Martin Chivers

February, 2008
    Ossie Ardiles
    Ricky Villa

May, 2008
    Clive Allen
    Teddy Sheringham

December, 2008
    David Ginola

February, 2009
    Paul Allen
    Chris Waddle

December, 2009
    Darren Anderton
    Steffen Freund

May, 2010
    Phil Beal
    Ralph Coates
    John Pratt

December, 2013
    Mike England
    Alan Gilzean

November, 2014
    Ray Clemence

Seriously, Steffen Freund ahead of Jimmy? It just defies belief really. The club should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

as some of you have asked...

March, 2004
    Bill Nicholson
    Bill Brown
    Peter Baker
    Ron Henry
    Danny Blanchflower
    Maurice Norman
    Dave Mackay
    Cliff Jones
    John White
    Bobby Smith
    Les Allen
    Terry Dyson
    Terry Medwin

May, 2004
    Keith Burkinshaw

October, 2004
    Pat Jennings

March, 2005
    Gary Mabbutt

May, 2005
    Alan Mullery

November, 2005
    Gary Lineker

March, 2006
    Martin Peters

December, 2006
    Glenn Hoddle

April, 2007
    Martin Chivers

February, 2008
    Ossie Ardiles
    Ricky Villa

May, 2008
    Clive Allen
    Teddy Sheringham

December, 2008
    David Ginola

February, 2009
    Paul Allen
    Chris Waddle

December, 2009
    Darren Anderton
    Steffen Freund

May, 2010
    Phil Beal
    Ralph Coates
    John Pratt

December, 2013
    Mike England
    Alan Gilzean

November, 2014
    Ray Clemence

Seriously, Steffen Freund ahead of Jimmy? It just defies belief really. The club should be ashamed of themselves.

Darren Anderton! Fine player when fit but seriously!
  • Options
    It seems 441 appearances (let alone a number one named after him) was enough for even a posthumous entry for Cyril Knowles.

Let's hope that they will be able to award it to Jimmy during his lifetime.
  • Options
    I agree with you Ormiston, I liked Anderton as a player but he has no place on there either tbh.
  • Options
    To add insult to injury so to speak every other player from the 60-61 double side, 61-62 FA Cup winning side and (I think) the 62-63 European Cup winners side is quite rightly included. Greaves missed the double I believe but certainly played against Burnley the following season in the FA Cup as that is one of my first football memories and probably the cup winners side too.

Missing matches doesn't seem to have harmed Anderton!

Unbelievable!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I often cringe when fans post on here about acts of our club and (presumably other) fans being "embarrassing" but I really do believe the word is fully justified in these circumstances.
  • Options
    All the best Jimmy, I hope you pull through.
  • Options
    Very sad to hear this. For me Jimmy Greaves wasn't just the best striker England ever produced but one of the best ever. His instinct in front of goal was second to none and his accuracy with both feet was astonishing. So all the best to Jimmy and hope for a good recovery.
  • Options

Not entirely sure what Spurs have done wrong. They allegedly offered JG multiple invites into the hall of fame and he turned them down up until recently. Now he is going in the hall of fame and having a statue outside the Lane.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not entirely sure what Spurs have done wrong. They allegedly offered JG multiple invites into the hall of fame and he turned them down up until recently. Now he is going in the hall of fame and having a statue outside the Lane.

Is that right @JohnBoyUK ?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Well if thats true then I take back what I said. Wouldnt be the first time I've got something wrong and wont be theast.

But why would he turn down appearing in the Hall of Fame?

EDIT: having had a quick google, it looks like Spurs havent done anything from. They've been trying to get him inducted in the hall of fame for years. That'll teach me to take another swipe at Levy & Co.

But Steffen Freund? Anderton? Jeez.
  • Options
    The best striker I ever saw (for Chelsea actually as a nipper). Such quick feet and usually passed the ball into the net. Good pundit too with the Saint.
  • Options
    My first football hero.Amazing how he had his next move planned before the opposition even knew he had the ball.So many goals where he made finishing look so easy.Always love to see footage of him,never tired of seeing him score goals.All the best Jimmy and I hope your recovery comes soon.
  • Options
    Out of intensive care
  • Options
    Thank god, e ery time this thread gets updated I don't want to look but find myself looking
  • Options

Remember Greavsie as the bloke who missed out on the World Cup in 66 by injury as he was England's top forward at the time and Some bloke called Geoff Hurst got a lucky hat trick.
    Jimmy, get well mate you ARE a legend.

If it was not for that injury, West ham would never have won the world cup.
  • Options

My first football hero.Amazing how he had his next move planned before the opposition even knew he had the ball.So many goals where he made finishing look so easy.Always love to see footage of him,never tired of seeing him score goals.All the best Jimmy and I hope your recovery comes soon.

THIS.
  • Options
    I love 'characters', and they don't come any bigger than Greavsie.
  • Options
    My childhood hero. What a player. What a character. What a life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great great player, wonder what his value wold have been in today's prices.
  • Options
    Greaves was always 'on his toes' - the fastest player over 5 yards, which is why he scored so many tap ins. In fact he was the exact opposite (imo) of Vetekele who can certainly raise a head of steam, but always seems to start flat footed, missing out in both the penalty area and on the 50-50 balls.
  • Options
    One of the best
  • Options
    Glad to hear he's getting better. All the best Greavsie...
  • Options

Glad to hear he's getting better. All the best Greavsie...

Why the flag #Blackheathen? Poor old Jim upset you at some point? :neutral:
  • Options
    Happy 80th Birthday Jimmy
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Happy 80th Birthday Jimmy
    Phew. 
  • Options
    Thank goodness for that!

Happy 80th indeed!