Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Guy Luzon: TBH not to continue

Comments

• Options
    Also thought TBH was a class act. Loved the playing out from the back. He played very well with Bikey but not so well with Johnson. I think he has been our best centre back in recent years, better than Dervite and Morro who were both pretty good. But Rufus and Costa were our best pairings. Hope young Gomez stays and develops to be our new Rufus. Not holding out too much hope though as our owner likes to cash in - well at SL he certainly did. I am a bit disappointed that Lennon didn't get a game or two at the end of the season. Maybe he didn't (twist and) shout enough.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2015
    Not got strong feelings about TBH moving on. He was steady sometimes but was not perfect. He often played casual passes to team mates that put them into trouble. He had some good games but lacked pace.

Not sure about his attitude and how interested he was to be at Charlton.

Glad to see Luzon confident about keeping Gomez though. That would be superb if that happened.
  • Options

Also thought TBH was a class act. Loved the playing out from the back. He played very well with Bikey but not so well with Johnson. I think he has been our best centre back in recent years, better than Dervite and Morro who were both pretty good. But Rufus and Costa were our best pairings. Hope young Gomez stays and develops to be our new Rufus. Not holding out too much hope though as our owner likes to cash in - well at SL he certainly did. I am a bit disappointed that Lennon didn't get a game or two at the end of the season. Maybe he didn't (twist and) shout enough.

Rufus and Costa didn't play much together ( 8 games ?) but both were good individually
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Not surprised if he moves on. Class player but never quite looked as if his heart was in it at Charlton. If it gives Joe Gomez a lot more playing time I think it will be a good thing overall, provided we get Joe the right partner. Not sure that is either Johnson (too slow) or Bikey (too volatile and too slow).

Joe Gomez is at the stage of his career where we have to be careful not to overplay him anyway, so it's not as if his path to the first team is being blocked by more experienced defenders
    Usually, with a youngster, I would agree with you 100%. With Joe, I'm not so sure. He is such an exceptional talent, fast and strong too, that he might well be able to cope with and prosper through playing as a first choice. That would certainly accelerate his development, and of course his sale value.
    I was thinking more about suffering burn out by being over played when your body is still developing.

As for TBH, he shows lots of class, and nice to see a ball carrying CB, but occasionally he overdoes it and gets caught out
  • Options
    Shame really, imo Bikey & TBH played a massive part in our excellent start to the season. They were solid and played the ball out from the back which was good to watch. Then Bikey lost his head!
    Wasn't there trouble with TBH and Luzon at SL? Perhaps he's honoured his contract and wants a new challenge
  • Options
    He did OK for us but long term Gomez is of course the better bet .. Ben Haim had too many 'flaky' moments mixed in with brilliance .. in our division, central defenders need to be near 100% reliable with few frills, leave the fancy stuff to the midfielders
  • Options
    What was he like over the season for the Statbank on here if he was an awful player?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He did OK for us but long term Gomez is of course the better bet .. Ben Haim had too many 'flaky' moments mixed in with brilliance .. in our division, central defenders need to be near 100% reliable with few frills, leave the fancy stuff to the midfielders

Agree about few frills for central defenders but at times it was a pleasure to see TBH play his way out and make a forward run/dribble because he usually did it when the players who should have been doing it, weren't - i.e the players in front of TBH were too static or weren't putting it in.

For me he is one of the best CB's I've seen at CAFC.

Morrison was pretty good in the air and playing long ball from deep but he was turned too easily and often caught square.

As somebody else commented, TBH will take some replacing.
  • Options
    Wonder who our 4 CB will be next season?

Johnson - has he signed up again yet? I quite liked him.

Gomez - will he be around?

Bikey - hit and miss

Diarra - more of a holding midfielder, and if we play him CB then we need to replace both him and Buyens in midfield.

New signings??
  • Options

Thanks @Beer7 it's been known for a while that TBH is moving on, but cheers. No interest why you don't like him, but you might be surprised he had been one of our better performers this season and very consistent.

Has there been much on Luzon in the Israeli press since he has joined us ?

I have to confess it's news to me. I thought he had a decent season and, apart for a couple of rash tackles, didn't do anything wrong. I'd have been happy to keep him, especially on the basis that we could (and might, yet) do a lot worse.
  • Options

Thanks @Beer7 it's been known for a while that TBH is moving on, but cheers. No interest why you don't like him, but you might be surprised he had been one of our better performers this season and very consistent.

Has there been much on Luzon in the Israeli press since he has joined us ?

I have to confess it's news to me. I thought he had a decent season and, apart for a couple of rash tackles, didn't do anything wrong. I'd have been happy to keep him, especially on the basis that we could (and might, yet) do a lot worse.
    It's mainly his decision not Luzon's by most accounts. He's reaching the end of his career and looking at his options rather than not being wanted or welcome - we're going to be lucky to find another CB as experienced and professional as TBH was.
  • Options
    He'll probably end up in the Prem with a lower table side, or top end Champ team and get a decent wage. He's winding down his career I'd expect and want' sa decent pay day, one that we probably cant give him.

I liked him and thought he was a reliable defender, very composed on the ball and read the game well. He would have been the perfect role model for Gomez to study on the pitch and during training.
  • Options
    1 of my favorite players this season. Good luck Tal.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Johnson in the USA looking for a club

Roger loves a night club so your right again Colin.

TBH Had a decent Season and would be in most CAFC fans top 6 players of the season. If he and ROJO move on, will Lennon or Thomas be given a chance in Pre season to Press their claim to be involved ?

Could we still see a back 4 of all EX academy Lads
    Perm any 4 from Solly,Gomez.Lennon,Thomas, Fox,Holmes-Dennis(can play further forward)
    (plus the 20 games when Wiggins is fit. Ex Palace Academy)

• Options
    I thought TBH was a class act. Very intelligent player and always looked to play football. Its looking like we now need two new CB's. Gomez may not be around and we need cover.

Two new CB's, new ACM and CF needed to push on.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

colin1961 said:

TBH Had a decent Season and would be in most CAFC fans top 6 players of the season. If he and ROJO move on, will Lennon or Thomas be given a chance in Pre season to Press their claim to be involved ?

I would hope that they get their chance during the season, as Gomez was given his, but If Gomez, TBH, Rojo and Bikey were to leave then I would want to see at least three of them replaced with experienced players.
  • Options
    Who is Rojo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the start of the season we signed TBH and Bikey, then during the season signed Onyewu (remember him), Johnson and Diarra.
    On that basis (one failure out of 4/5 CBs), if we need to replace TBH and Johnson, I'm sure we'll be able to find decent replacements
  • Options

Who is Rojo?

ROger JOhnson (hilarious I know... ;))
  • Options

Who is Rojo?

Roger Johnson I guess KLA.
  • Options
    KHA I mean
  • Options
    TBH TBH did well for us for the year but i couldnt take to him as i sensed he was here purely for the duration so farewell then TBH ...thanks but i cant excited about you as werent here long enough ..if you change your mind id take you back
  • Options
    Very comfortable on the ball, excellent player, but not getting any younger and I preferred Bikey. He is the one I hope we keep, but he didn’t get a look in under Luzon after the Norwich game. I think he showed the right attitude on the bench and would rather have him playing for us than against us.
  • Options
    I thought Bikey was good until the wheeles came off and he started giving interviews to the press about how crap the atmosphere was in the dressing room, then he, suddenly, started to look like a liability. I'd be happy to see him go, to be honest.
  • Options
    We had the most average defence in the Championship. If we desire to finish in the top seven only Gomez and Solly are good enough.
  • Options

I thought Bikey was good until the wheeles came off and he started giving interviews to the press about how crap the atmosphere was in the dressing room, then he, suddenly, started to look like a liability. I'd be happy to see him go, to be honest.

I like him a lot, but do not think that he is the type of player that Luzon fancies. I would agree about his fall off in form but the few times he did play towards the end of the season I thought he played well.