Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Katrien says there will be more signings

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I went to a retro cinema the other night and saw;

One flew over the Cuckoo's nest.

Jesus, i mean,you guys do nothing but complain about how you can't stand it in this place and yet you don't have the guts to sign out.
    What do you think you are Crazy or just anoraks ?
    Well you're not. you're no crazier than the average asshole walking down the street.
    Now get out my way your using my Oxygen.
  • Options
    cardie wars
  • Options

Ahhh now I get it but in all seriousness who the feck thought that it would be of any bloody difference to put the extra o in

Same as the silly male and female words the French use ,

Nonsense and just stupid

Can I just throw "two" into the mix?
  • Options
    Here you go NLA, mystery solved:

The words to and too have rather different meanings but they seem to potentially be from the same old-English root.

If these two words are related in origin, how and why was the original word divided into two different spellings?

Already in Old English the Old English preposition tō 'to, into' (and other senses) gave rise to an adverb tō 'besides, also; moreover'. In normal speech the preposition was generally unstressed, and as a result the vowel tended to be reduced from [ō] to [ɔ] or perhaps even to [ɑ], since the spelling ta actually occurs. Similarly, in present-day English the preposition to in connected speech is usually unstressed and reduced: ‘I went t[ə] the store’, not ‘I went t[ū] the store’. The Old English adverb, on the other hand, was likely to receive stress in connected discourse and therefore to retain the full vowel: [tō].

This situation continued into Middle English. However, during the later Middle English (and extending into the Early Modern English) period the pronunciation of English long vowels changed dramatically. These changes are collectively known as the (English) Great Vowel Shift (GVS). (See these pages for more information.) In particular, [ō] shifted to [ū], the vowel in present-day English too. At this point the preposition was usually pronounced something like [tə] in connected speech, while the adverb was [tū], pretty much as in present-day English. This greater disconnect between the two pronunciations tended to obscure the historical relationship between the preposition and the adverb.

Middle English spelling was of course not standardized, but vowel length was often indicated by doubling. As a result, words with the vowel [ō] were often spelled with oo, though this seems not generally to have occurred with the adverb in question. After the GVS, words spelled with this oo were pronounced with [ū], and as spelling became increasingly standardized, oo was more and more associated with the vowel [ū]. Since the adverb had for some time been clearly distinguished from the preposition in pronunciation as well as in sense, there was no real reason to maintain the historical connection, and too, a spelling that represented the actual pronunciation of the adverb, gradually displaced the older to spelling.
  • Options
    Knowing NLA I think my version will work better
  • Options
    I think its about weight

To is a flighty word and the emphasis is on the word that follows and precedes it

Too is a heavier word

But then perhaps its just me
  • Options
    Maybe. But then wouldn't it be, I'm going toooo lift some heavy weights. Or, there are to many feathers in that pillow.
  • Options

Ahhh now I get it but in all seriousness who the feck thought that it would be of any bloody difference to put the extra o in

The world of difference: Po - an Italian River or the friendly, red, 4th Teletubbie. Poo: A pile of crap or Mr Hankey if it's Chistmas.
  • Options
    I see the more signings thread is red hot.
  • Options
    Well she kept her promise, we signed someone today!

We may not sign another person until January but she kept her promise!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    today?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Say more.....
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Was this the person seen being driven into the valley with a blanket over their head today. Listen i understand that CAFC like all Transfers in and out to be undisclosed but to not name players and for the poor guy to have to wear a mask all season and be know as John Doe is Stig-esque.
    I heard that trouble maker Nile was only on £90 a week at Blackpool ?
    Could he be the lone ranger ?

• Options
    Ergh. Drinking too much and hot my days mixed up. Thought we signed that Bauer fella yesterday.

This is how rumours start
  • Options
    I've sussed it!

We got £11.5m from Liverpool for Gomez but after paying £8m to Ipswich on behalf of Bournemouth for Mings we are left with the reported £3.5m
  • Options
    To be fair, she didn't say there would be new signings - just "many New Faces". I expect she's merely heard a rumour that ITV are bringing back the 1970/80s talent show New Faces. I heard that Dave Berry has been lined up to compare the show - that's how she found out....
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

To be fair, she didn't say there would be new signings - just "many New Faces". I expect she's merely heard a rumour that ITV are bringing back the 1970/80s talent show New Faces. I heard that Dave Berry has been lined up to compare the show - that's how she found out....

Plus the two new barmaids in Crossbars
  • Options
    If ITV are bringing back new faces does that mean CL will revive opportunity knocks?

AFKA does look a little like Hughie Green
  • Options

If ITV are bringing back new faces does that mean CL will revive opportunity knocks?

AFKA does look like a little Hughie Green

Fixed it for you.
  • Options

AFKA does look a little like Hughie Green

Do you mean that most sincerely?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My God. Just caught up with this thread and it's a perfect example of why I don't bother with this place much anymore. Such a pity.
  • Options
    Miss ya!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

My God. Just caught up with this thread and it's a perfect example of why I don't bother with this place much anymore. Such a pity.

It's a perfect example why I shouldn't bother, but I do!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I have always loved it. Now you have ruined it. :-(
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Irritated by lack of signings.
    Edit. Pull yourself together man,it's still June and we've got a centre half.
    Edit edit.. Bored with lack of signings.:-)
  • Options
    There will be players coming in. Just relax and let it unfold. I think this coming week will be significant.
  • Options
    I am both relaxed and worried. I suppose I am worried by the persistent talk of behind the scenes disunity which seems to be a feature of this regime, and I am worried they all reassemble on Monday for pre season in a negative atmosphere. I am worried that we have squad gaps to fill, and I am worried by what appears to be the recruitment method where Guy Luzon says what type of player he wants and Karel Freye gets them.
    However I am relaxed because we start the season on a level playing field with the other clubs, but will be very anxious indeed if we don't have 17 points after the first 10 games.
  • Options
    Gone are the days when we scoured the Evening Standard ("incorporating The Evening News...") all summer, only to be sated by a two-liner to say that we'd signed Paul Friar or David Madden! Don't worry....it'll be ok...we won't be doing a Blackpool.

• Options
    seth plum said:

I am both relaxed and worried. I suppose I am worried by the persistent talk of behind the scenes disunity which seems to be a feature of this regime, and I am worried they all reassemble on Monday for pre season in a negative atmosphere. I am worried that we have squad gaps to fill, and I am worried by what appears to be the recruitment method where Guy Luzon says what type of player he wants and Karel Freye gets them.
    However I am relaxed because we start the season on a level playing field with the other clubs, but will be very anxious indeed if we don't have 17 points after the first 10 games.

We had 18 points after 10 games last season, but a mixture of injuries, tactics and a small squad hit us hard from November onwards. Still time before the first game to rectify the errors of having a small squad from the start of last season.
  • Options
    Just been on a Just for Tots Butlins Break, took my son to the Tots Football sessions in his Charlton Kit and met a guy who was working on Simon Church's house he was telling me that he was told by Churchy that there was a load of politics behind the scenes at Charlton. Powell's players were deemed not good enough from the start and constant disruptions didn't help when players just wanted to get on with playing football, he also said he knew the fans didn't rate him.