Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Macronate said:

nla=Mick Jagger.

I can imagine him covering dancing in the street with Red in Se8

It's nice to put a face to the name now nla :wink:

Balls too small 8)
  • edited August 2015
    cabbles said:

Macronate said:

nla=Mick Jagger.

I can imagine him covering dancing in the street with Red in Se8
  • Rikofold, I agree to a point about the rights for all to be treated equal, but I'd include those who find themselves within the benefits system getting the same amounts of money and assistance and also say that there are people who contribute to paying that money via taxes they pay who don't have that amount of cash spare each month after food and bills plus have to pay for prescriptions, and other essentials

There has to be equality in every aspect of what people get especially those who get into this country via non legal means
  • edited August 2015
  • Not read the last 70 odd posts since I last logged in, but just see this
  • The £36 per week is not pocket money. It is there to cover all subsistence (food), soap, clothing costs etc. I don't know the details, but expect that it should also cover travel costs to govt officials etc for meetings about your application.

My memory from when I was unemployed is that the dole starts at about £50 per week. There would be separate supports for rent etc.

The asylum seekers also get accommodation but where and what type of accommodation is at the government's discretion. They could in theory be picked up in Dover and bussed to a run down hostel in Kirkwall and they would not be able to refuse. I dont know if people think living in a hostel/hotel is luxurious. I lived for 8 weeks in a hostel (while I was working and looking for a flat). Hated every minute of it. Food costs were also higher when I didnt have access to a cooker or fridge.
  • edited August 2015
    IA said:

The £36 per week is not pocket money. It is there to cover all subsistence (food), soap, clothing costs etc. I don't know the details, but expect that it should also cover travel costs to govt officials etc for meetings about your application.

My memory from when I was unemployed is that the dole starts at about £50 per week. There would be separate supports for rent etc.

The asylum seekers also get accommodation but where and what type of accommodation is at the government's discretion. They could in theory be picked up in Dover and bussed to a run down hostel in Kirkwall and they would not be able to refuse. I dont know if people think living in a hostel/hotel is luxurious. I lived for 8 weeks in a hostel (while I was working and looking for a flat). Hated every minute of it. Food costs were also higher when I didnt have access to a cooker or fridge.

Don't really get the point you're getting at, are you saying that they are hard done by?
  • IA said:

The £36 per week is not pocket money. It is there to cover all subsistence (food), soap, clothing costs etc. I don't know the details, but expect that it should also cover travel costs to govt officials etc for meetings about your application.

Me and my Mrs know that coz we had to go without both until we saved up (18 month or so), when we started again over here...

No help from the French and none expected (There may be something to claim here, but I thought it woulda been an ocean going, fur lined piss-take to move to a foreign country and expect any handouts, like)
  • brogib said:

IA said:

Don't really get the point you're getting at, are you saying that they are hard done by?
    Did I say that?

Earlier in this thread, their treatment was described as "luxurious". On this page, someone talks about others not having that sort of money "after food and bills", which suggests they thought it was 'pocket money' and meals etc were paid for. My aim was to explain that the money had to cover every expenditure needs they might have, apart from accommodation.

Is it possible to live on £36 per week? Yes. Do I think it's at the edge of minimum subsistence requirements? Yes. Is it "luxurious"? No.

My point about fridge and cooker was simply that it is cheaper to feed yourself if you have access to both. Nothing more. Nothing less.
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

brogib said:

IA said:

Did I say that?

Earlier in this thread, their treatment was described as "luxurious". On this page, someone talks about others not having that sort of money "after food and bills", which suggests they thought it was 'pocket money' and meals etc were paid for. My aim was to explain that the money had to cover every expenditure needs they might have, apart from accommodation.

Is it possible to live on £36 per week? Yes. Do I think it's at the edge of minimum subsistence requirements? Yes. Is it "luxurious"? No.

My point about fridge and cooker was simply that it is cheaper to feed yourself if you have access to both. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    I started my post with 'I don't really get your point' so, I never said you said anything did I?

But now you've explained the background and thinking behind your point, Id like to come back and say that it don't matter what dough they're getting, IT'S TOO MUCH!

And anyway, I'da thought any 'desperate' person 'fleeing war zones' wouldn't mind how much they got or where they were bussed to as long as they were safe
  • Cant we send all the unwanted immigrants back to the jungle?
    whether in Calais or Africa or Afganistan?
  • Cant we send all the unwanted immigrants back to the jungle?
    whether in Calais or Africa or Afganistan?

Of course you can, just as long as they tell you and can prove where they came from.
  • If £36 pw isn't enough for them then best they go elsewhere
  • Another thing. That £36 per week is the only money they will have for food etc. They are not allowed to work while they are seeking asylum. That's the government's decision, not theirs.
  • Who paid for the travelodge ?
  • edited August 2015
    IA said:

Another thing. That £36 per week is the only money they will have for food etc. They are not allowed to work while they are seeking asylum. That's the government's decision, not theirs.

£36 a week per family member!

My family of three budget on shopping and can do a weekly shop for around 60-70 quid. Add another £10 for toiletries (although staying in a hotel they probably don't need this). That leaves £28-48 quid for clothes/fags/snacks/travel for a family of three. Easily enough.
  • On Sky News it says that Government ministers are thinking of closing the Channel Tunnel at night due to the migrant crisis. How ridiculous, why not deal with the migrants in France and keep them well away from the tunnel instead.

A migrant managed to walk through the tunnel yesterday, if he can do it, so can terrorists, the security of the tunnel must be very poor if that can happen. I thought there were cameras to prevent this.

We've managed to get through this week (so far) without Op Stack, but it'll be back if they close the tunnel at night.
  • IA said:

Another thing. That £36 per week is the only money they will have for food etc. They are not allowed to work while they are seeking asylum. That's the government's decision, not theirs.

I think you're missing the point
  • Rob its not missing the point its deliberate ignoring the point(s)
    * If genuine why aint they asking for asylum the first "safe" country?
    * "only £36" yes of course their welfare, accommodation, policing,health costs us feck all.
    * The UK only takes 1% of seekers--yes of course it does lets forget about the 300,000 legals that come to England EVERY year.

couple of years back Borris wanted to give an amnesty to illegals who had been here longer than SEVEN years that number was 45,000 !!

The two "asylum seekers interviewed that set the row about the £36 a week REFUSED to say where they had come from ! how the feck are they genuine then ?

• Sponsored links:

• Just close the borders to everyone who doesn't have a valid passport until this stink is cleared up. No asylum seekers accepted at all.
    If Camoron had the nuts to stand up to the EU and say bollox we're closing the door, then I would think a lot more of him, we need strong leadership, where's Churchill, when you need him...oh yes...selling insurance.
  • At least we've moved on from describing it as "luxurious".

I've already responded to the point about why some might move on past the first "safe" country.

Immigration from the EU is a separate issue.

If they're seeking asylum and refuse to say where they're from, then they probably shouldn't get refugee status. I'm not sure what "the row about the £36 a week" is. There may be good security reasons to refuse to tell journalists where you're from, but if you refuse to tell the government officials, then I can't see how you would be able to get refugee status. I agree that this may pose a problem when the government is trying to deport unsuccessful applicants.
  • I can't see how any money should be given to any person who refuses to reveal their nationality to a UK official, nationality and other details about their life in their country of origin.
  • So many accidents on Kent's roads since the start of the year. M20 has two accidents tonight and many other roads are jammed. Hardly a day goes by without an accident on one of the main roads. Too much traffic and poor driving.
  • Looks like it is going to be a bad day on Kent's roads. Accidents on the M2 and M20 and with the County Show starting today at Detling, it is not looking good.

Not looking forward to getting to work this morning!
  • Actually took 45 minutes to do the 6 mile journey which is mostly on country lanes. I was lucky, my colleague who lives in Folkestone took nearly 3 hours to get to Maidstone.

It doesn't help when idiotic lorry drivers decide to use country lanes to avoid the queues on main roads. We passed one trying to get up Boxley Hill - he was struggling to get round the hairpin at the bottom of the hill and as the hill is so steep he struggled to get up the hill causing a long queue to form behind him.
  • Just taken me 45 minutes from Crayford to Greenhithe , 30 of which was the 3/4 mile approach up Bob Dunn way . Since the tunnel changes that junction is worse than ever.
  • Keep building more and more houses and the infrastructure is totally inadequate.
  • Actually took 45 minutes to do the 6 mile journey which is mostly on country lanes. I was lucky, my colleague who lives in Folkestone took nearly 3 hours to get to Maidstone.

It doesn't help when idiotic lorry drivers decide to use country lanes to avoid the queues on main roads. We passed one trying to get up Boxley Hill - he was struggling to get round the hairpin at the bottom of the hill and as the hill is so steep he struggled to get up the hill causing a long queue to form behind him.

That's fucking mental, it requires a lot of concentration to swing a mini round there without overlapping the white lines. Glad I was on the train today, which ran faultlessly unbelievably