Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC Thread

Comments

• TelMc32 said:

Have thought for a while that those who have been in to their MMA for a long time, slate McGregor simply because he's the one that has brought in a legion of new fans. They don't like that they're not such a clique anymore! :wink:

Not as simple as that. His drawing ability is mainly due to his out of the octagon antics, what sort of precedence does that set? I tell you what, other fighters trying to mimic it some no doubt at Tyson Fury level. I personally don't find it that entertaining anymore, turning up late and claiming to be bigger that the company is disrespectful. Didn't Alex Ferguson get rid of Beckham when he start to act bigger than the club? Like Man Utd UFC don't need him, do you think he'll get the same figures on Bellator? Also this drawing ability Dana appeasement has allowed him to not defend his belt and go for this history making thing, this could have been done but previous fighters would defend their belt instead of going on this ego trip, Randy Colture and BJ Penn being 2 who could have held belts at 2 different divisions at the same time.
  • Here's a question... before the fight when they show you height/reach stats in MMA or boxing, why don't they show you how hard the guy can hit (measured in force)? Would make for an interesting talking point
  • Here's a question... before the fight when they show you height/reach stats in MMA or boxing, why don't they show you how hard the guy can hit (measured in force)? Would make for an interesting talking point

That's quite a hard thing to measure really. Some may generate power from shorter distances, others may only get power from a full on haymaker. The reach is just a statement used as historically it is in boxing but as the sport develops on its own more and more you're starting to see more MMA centric things like leg reach.

I think a firefighter 's knockout %is a good indication
  • TelMc32 said:

Looks like you caught a few whoosh's there @C_Jensens_Love_Child

Correct.

I meant to say fighters not firefighter

Click on the top right corner of the offending post. Click on the options wheel. Click on edit. Correct the post and then click on save at the bottom of the post :smile:

Click on the top right corner of the offending post. Click on the options wheel. Click on edit. Correct the post and then click on save at the bottom of the post :smile:
    Thanks but i don't have access to a computer ,Just me Mobile and it doesn't seem to work on mobile
  • TelMc32 said:

Have thought for a while that those who have been in to their MMA for a long time, slate McGregor simply because he's the one that has brought in a legion of new fans. They don't like that they're not such a clique anymore! :wink:

Not as simple as that. His drawing ability is mainly due to his out of the octagon antics, what sort of precedence does that set? I tell you what, other fighters trying to mimic it some no doubt at Tyson Fury level. I personally don't find it that entertaining anymore, turning up late and claiming to be bigger that the company is disrespectful. Didn't Alex Ferguson get rid of Beckham when he start to act bigger than the club? Like Man Utd UFC don't need him, do you think he'll get the same figures on Bellator? Also this drawing ability Dana appeasement has allowed him to not defend his belt and go for this history making thing, this could have been done but previous fighters would defend their belt instead of going on this ego trip, Randy Colture and BJ Penn being 2 who could have held belts at 2 different divisions at the same time.
    Agree with the 2 belt situation and that's pretty much the reason Aldo has said he wants to quit. He's basically said that McGregor is running the UFC now, not Dana White. Also said that a while back he wanted to move up to 155 to fight but they said only if you give up the 145 belt which he didn't agree to, but then they make these allowances now for McGregor.

Having said that, you can't compare UFC and Man Utd. United could just go and buy another superstar, when Beckham left, they bought Ronaldo. Who do the UFC have with true pulling power if McGregor leaves? I can't think of anyone aside from maybe Lesnar and Jon Jones and they've both been done for drugs. He's brought in a whole army of new fans to UFC, his PPV figures are off the scale and last night means he'll have 4 of the top 5 record PPV sales. So let's be honest, the UFC right now definitely needs McGregor.
  • Ronda Rousey and create more stars by not treating them like side attractions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rousey is finished after her next fight and other than Nate Diaz the average member of the public doesn't know any other fighters. Lesnar, GSP and Jon Jones at a push and they're currently AWOL.

If Mcgregor went to Bellator and fought he'd get more viewers than the average UFC card with Mighty Mouse or even Miocic.
  • UFC always had a problem in building stars and is why they doing bend over for McGregor. The problem is also due to the fighters, many seem happy to just sit there and say they are happy to see what happens rather than calling fighters out or actually trying to have a personality. It's beginning to change and some are realising you need to play the game to get paid.

The problem also that there still isn't real depth of talent in a lot of the weight classes, heavyweight, flyweight, babtamweight even lightweight to an extent have very few top level fighters available so it limits what the UFC can promote. Flipside to this is that better paid fighters can spend more on camps and move to better gyms in order to get to that level so it is stuck in a cycle somewhat.
  • Seems 206 is going under the radar a bit but the main card has the potential for some of the fights of the year, looking forward to this.
  • Wow, Swanson v Choi is fight of the year and possibly of all time. Great event last night even if the main event was a bit of an anti climax.
  • The headkick ko from Cerrone was superb
  • Anyone watch the Ronda pummelling ?
  • Even from the walk-in I could tell she didn't want to be there.

First punch landed and she crumbled, not mentally there anymore. Should quit before she faces anymore punishment.
  • Incredible performance by Garbrandt, would love to see a rematch.
  • Even from the walk-in I could tell she didn't want to be there.

First punch landed and she crumbled, not mentally there anymore. Should quit before she faces anymore punishment.

Over £2 million richer though!
  • Congratulations to Britain's own Michael Bisping for being fighter of the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Roused could bully smaller fighters, but as soon as she came up against similar sized and got hit, it was game over for her.

Even at the weigh ins you could tell she didn't have the stomach for it.

I bet she never spars with fighters certainly not ones allowed to hit her.
  • If Ronda was serious about wanting the belt back she'd have ditched Edmund and gone to a proper gym. It was painful to watch. Part of me was glad it blew up spectacularly in the UFCs face, the promoting of that event was disgusting and disrespectful to Nunes.

As much as I like Cruz he was taken apart. I said elsewhere that at the weigh in he looked rattled and during the walk in he looked far too emotional. TJ should be Cody's first defence.
  • Anyone able to get O2 tickets? I'm in row E!
  • Got 4 yesterday. Row Z in one of the corners of the lower tier. Should be good, some decent matchups already and still headline to come.

Going next month for Cage Warriors as well.
  • GSP V Bisping!!!
  • GSP V Bisping!!!

Would have liked GSP to have a warm up fight first, but he will probably just lay on Bisping for most of the fight as he normally does.

Has a 5 round points decision written all over it, unless he is seriously rusty.
  • He'll be rusty surely which wiill be an interesting fight.

209 should be good on Saturday, although they missed a trick by not having a Diaz brother on the card.
  • Pleased for Bisping, he deserves it. Silva, Rockhold, Hendo and GSP would be some way to go out. It does though once again make a mockery of the belts and rankings.

And yes 209 looks like it'll be excellent. I honestly can not pick the winners of the main events.
  • colthe3rd said:

Pleased for Bisping, he deserves it. Silva, Rockhold, Hendo and GSP would be some way to go out. It does though once again make a mockery of the belts and rankings.

And yes 209 looks like it'll be excellent. I honestly can not pick the winners of the main events.

Woodley. Khabib to win the co-main.