Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GAA

Comments

• Options
    It's only because they know they'll win 😭😭, and not having a competitive match would hurt them.  A safer option would be to let Monaghan stand in.

As a Tyrone man, it pains me, but it's just likely that the extra week would be of no benefit...
  • Options
    It's only because they know they'll win 😭😭, and not having a competitive match would hurt them.  A safer option would be to let Monaghan stand in.

As a Tyrone man, it pains me, but it's just likely that the extra week would be of no benefit...
    The problem the GAA have, is that last year, they kicked Sligo out because they couldn’t field a team due to covid, I think then Mayo got a bye.
  • Options
    Only now coming down from the high of yesterday's Hurling All Ireland Final, Limerick were on a different plane and, despite the fact that I was supporting Cork, were an absolute joy to watch.
  • Options
    Only now coming down from the high of yesterday's Hurling All Ireland Final, Limerick were on a different plane and, despite the fact that I was supporting Cork, were an absolute joy to watch.
    The missus is from Limerick, so watched this down the local Irish pub with her old man. Played brilliantly those boys, scoring points from all over the pitch. Cork were never in it, Limerick were on another level. We both had a sore head this morning!Β 
  • Options
    I was at Naas races yesterday keeping one eye on the big screen by the parade ring that had the hurling final on. That first half was jaw dropping, the jockeys were coming out into the parade ring with their mouths wide open as Limerick added point after point. The most amazing stat I heard was that first half points total for Limerick would have won 109 of the previous 139 all Ireland hurling finals …… truly amazing performance and no doubt more to come over the next few years from a relatively young team.
  • Options
    I’ve never understood the reverence that hurling is held in. To me any sport that is that high scoring, like basketball, is just boring.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I’ve never understood the reverence that hurling is held in. To me any sport that is that high scoring, like basketball, is just boring.
    No wonder you support Charlton
  • Options
    iainment said:
    That's the thing, though, even with the most skilful players a score like Sunday's All Ireland Final is almost unheard between two decent teams (you'd expect it if a hurling county was playing a footballing county).

And, it has to be remembered, Cork weren't poor on the day, they actually played quite well, posting what would, in other games, have been a good score.

They just came up against a supremely confident and well coached team in the sort of form that no other county could match (and not afraid of using the dark arts, too, like deliberately breaking an opponent's Hurley).

Danny Kelly was quite interesting about it on Twitter, in that it was a performance for ages, the sort of thing that people talk about for decades.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    That's the thing, though, even with the most skilful players a score like Sunday's All Ireland Final is almost unheard between two decent teams (you'd expect it if a hurling county was playing a footballing county).

And, it has to be remembered, Cork weren't poor on the day, they actually played quite well, posting what would, in other games, have been a good score.

They just came up against a supremely confident and well coached team in the sort of form that no other county could match (and not afraid of using the dark arts, too, like deliberately breaking an opponent's Hurley).

Danny Kelly was quite interesting about it on Twitter, in that it was a performance for ages, the sort of thing that people talk about for decades.
    Or in my case not! 😱
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Have you ever tried to hit a sliotar with a hurly?
    And even if you were lucky enough to connect, how far did it go & did it go where you intended?

That game will be talked about for years.

Limerick were different gravy.

Brilliant πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    And even if you were lucky enough to connect, how far did it go & did it go where you intended?

I appreciate there is skill in the game. But if you can score from 50m away from the goal it just becomes a bit meh to me.

Of course if my introduction to Irish life was Kilkenny rather than Kerry I might see it differently. 😎
  • Options
    Partners husband played for tipp so when I was over a few years back we was messing about with hurleys and trying to hit the ball is ridiculously difficult - v skilledΒ 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

I appreciate there is skill in the game. But if you can score from 50m away from the goal it just becomes a bit meh to me.

Of course if my introduction to Irish life was Kilkenny rather than Kerry I might see it differently. 😎
    But YOU could never do that I’d wager.
    My introduction to all things GAA is Cavan, so don’t be coming at me with that nonsense 😳

You clearly can’t appreciate the skill, that’s why you find it meh.

And I find that sad tbh.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

But YOU could never do that I’d wager.
    My introduction to all things GAA is Cavan, so don’t be coming at me with that nonsense 😳

You clearly can’t appreciate the skill, that’s why you find it meh.

And I find that sad tbh.
    I do appreciate the skill.Β 

I appreciate the skill in any sport but many sports leave me cold, others I love.

I suspect that’s true for all of us.
  • Options
    Can anyone make a case for anything other than kerry hammering tyrone this weekend after everything that's gone on?Β 
  • Options
    dmjn said:
    Can anyone make a case for anything other than kerry hammering tyrone this weekend after everything that's gone on?Β 
    I think the Tyrone players might. They’ve nothing to lose so their mindset might be very dangerous if Kerry allow themselves to be complacent.
  • Options
    My girlfriend is a Wexford lass, so she doesn't talk about GAA much. Their glory days were even longer ago than Charlton's!Β 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    dmjn said:
    I think the Tyrone players might. They’ve nothing to lose so their mindset might be very dangerous if Kerry allow themselves to be complacent.
    The real problem is how match fit can they be.Β  Even a really light Covid dose can have a big impact on physical abilities.

The only reason Kerry added the extra week was because it gives them a chance to blow the cobwebs away.

A couple of my nephews have been in or around Tyrone Minors/U20s squads (one, barring an injury, would be on the fringes of the senior side now), they don't hold out much hope.Β 

But Kerry could be complacent, and I'd love you to be right.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    dmjn said:
    The real problem is how match fit can they be.Β  Even a really light Covid dose can have a big impact on physical abilities.

The only reason Kerry added the extra week was because it gives them a chance to blow the cobwebs away.

A couple of my nephews have been in or around Tyrone Minors/U20s squads (one, barring an injury, would be on the fringes of the senior side now), they don't hold out much hope.Β 

But Kerry could be complacent, and I'd love you to be right.
    I so hope I’m not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    HT Kerry 0-9 Tyrone 1-7
  • Options
    But it's the second half where you'd expect Kerry's greater fitness to tell...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Water break Kerry 0-14 Tyrone 1-9
  • Options
    Spit, spit, curse!!!!
  • Options
    That black card for McCurry has killed us.

Sludden's didn't help either.
  • Options
    Goooooooaaaaaaalllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Ft 17 all!
  • Options
    My word, didn't see that happening.Β  It'll be tough for Kerry to make up the points they've shipped so far in extra time.
  • Options
    Kerry making it interesting.
  • Options
    I am half thinking Niall Morgan has money on Kerry...