Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Johann Berg Gudmundsson signs new 4 year contract +++

Comments

• Options
    Best news of the summer so far.
    Mentally I'd kind of resigned myself to losing him, so this feels like a new signing of real quality
  • Options
    Very, very good news.
  • Options
    Really pleased - great news. One of the most exciting players we've had far a while. Just hope that it doesn't mean he 'eases off' a bit. Some players seem to take their foot off the gas a bit with long contracts...to me it felt like Wiggins did just after he'd signed up for 4 years. I'm sure it won't happen - but sometimes it might sub-conciously affect them. They probably feel more secure and there's less to 'fight for'.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

my lad actually rang me at work to tell me.

very rare that he rings me so thank you for that JBG.

Same with me, except he calls me at least once a week opening with "Dad can you.....?" First time for an age he hasn't wanted anything!

• Options
    Best signing so far.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

That's funny, your lad rang me as well :-)
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Macronate said:

That's funny, your lad rang me as well :-)
    He called me as well, but wanted to borrow £50!
  • Options

Legend! Now he needs a song sorted once and for all.

Johann.B.Good

Born in Reykjavik where the weather is cold.
    Pitched up in SE7 and joined the Charlton fold.
    He hates the ******** Nigel's and he can't stand a Spanner.
    Hope your keepers decent, 'cause his foot's like a hammer!

Go go. Go Johann go go....
    Johann B Gudd.
    Let me tell you...
    I might as well do...
    About a man who can do anything...

He comes from Icelan'
    His name is Johann

Gudmundsson Gudmundsson Gudmundsson!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent news, gives the whole club including the fans a big boost.
  • Options
    Excellent news, gives the whole club including the fans a big boo
  • Options
    Boost!
  • Options
    Terrific news. Not too bothered about the whole 'at least we'll get some money for him one day' angle, but I'm just delighted we'll get to see such an exciting player in a Charlton shirt again next season. Best out and out winger I can remember us having since the Premier League days.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Terrific news. Not too bothered about the whole 'at least we'll get some money for him one day' angle, but I'm just delighted we'll get to see such an exciting player in a Charlton shirt again next season. Best out and out winger I can remember us having since the Premier League days.

I am struggling to think of a better winger from the prem years. Wingers were never our strong point, and Curbs famously played with conservative options out wide such as Graham Stuart. I can't think of many out and out wingers we had (Robbo only really featured in a couple of prem seasons).
  • Options

cafctom said:

I am struggling to think of a better winger from the prem years. Wingers were never our strong point, and Curbs famously played with conservative options out wide such as Graham Stuart. I can't think of many out and out wingers we had (Robbo only really featured in a couple of prem seasons).
    It's true we were not overrun with great wingers back then. Rommadhal and Jerome Thomas were probably the best but neither are fit lace JBG's boots.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Maybe Jerome Thomas when he had that period of good form when he first got into the side. Beyond that maybe someone like Paul Mortimer, who even though wasn't always played as a winger, had unreal dribbling ability and could beat a man with ease like Gudmundsson does.
  • Options
    JBG a winger? Does he ever take on anyone on the outside?
  • Options
    Tremendous news, which gives everyone connected with the club a huge lift. The prospect of a bit of JBG magic creates a real sense of anticipation in any game, no matter how tedious, and we can be proud to have a player who could walk into any other team in this division. As remarked earlier in the thread, hopefully this news will encourage some waverers to renew their season tickets.

I expect JBG to have a really good season running into the Euros and it very much looks like he'll be in France next Summer with Iceland. You have to admire any country of 320,000 who have 100 players playing abroad (many at a high level), not to mention having something like 30 of the world's 50 strongest men ( ! ).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like this news very much.
  • Options

JBG a winger? Does he ever take on anyone on the outside?

Opposition do the research, they know he's going to cut in on his left.
    Still can't get anywhere near him though.
  • Options
    Apart from Millwall...
  • Options
    Terrific news, well done to the club, so pleased he is staying.
  • Options
    Made the summer. Thanks RD.
  • Options

WSS said:

Got the same feeling as when Gomez signed a new long term deal last October.

Great news!

Sorry but can I point out Gomez left 8 months later.
    If no-one else is going to do it...

Whhhhhhhooooooossssshhhhhhh!!!!!
  • Options
    I'll take this one Clem

Whooooosh :-)