Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham's Europa League Adventure

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016

Give it a while when the initial novelty wears off for the plastic fans and we can all start singing 'our ground's too big for you'

Those in glass houses...
  • Options
    Lets hope they get Millwall at home in a cup, they will dismantle it.
  • Options
    They have over 50000 season ticket holders...very impressive to be fair.
  • Options
    It was 54,000 sell out tonight.
    Reduced capacity for first game
  • Options

Lets hope they get Millwall at home in a cup, they will dismantle it.

Ha yeah, 15% in fa cup so 9k Millwall rocking up for a midweek evening replay.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

They have over 50000 season ticket holders...very impressive to be fair.

Apparently, 10,000 of them are ex Charlton ST holders.

More than that surely.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

It was 54,000 sell out tonight.
    Reduced capacity for first game

I went and a West Ham season ticket holder said it was reduced because of being a european tie.

The ground is okay but not a patch on The Emirates.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Give it a while when the initial novelty wears off for the plastic fans and we can all start singing 'our ground's too big for you'

Those in glass houses...
    Throw beach & stress balls.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Those in glass houses...
    At least we own our glass house though.

Sadly unlike West Ham, that means we'd have to repair the glass ourselves.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    stupid double post
  • Options
    Some of the pictures on Twitter show some awful views for the fans
  • Options
    Here's one of them
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Here's one of them

If they put some sort of covering at the back of that scaffold to cover it at least it would look a bit better. That's really awful.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Those in glass houses...
    A half empty valley has around 13,500 empty seats and still has fans close enough to the pitch to make themselves heard. A half empty taxpayers stadium will have 30,000 empty seats and fans that are miles away from the pitch and some shit views of the game judging by that last photo.
  • Options
    Excellent rant from "Professor Brooking"

Thanks Jacob for your spot-on match report, but as you were sitting in the journo's bit above the posh boxes you may have missed out on the 'atmosphere' in the 'Kop' end, that is new East stand so I will devote my comments to the Olympic Stadium experience (sorry 'The London Stadium', forgot where I was for a moment).

Entered the Olympic Park from west via the normality of Bow. A twenty minute walk to the stadium (its not really a 'ground') from the nearest decent pub, but thats ok as who would want to loiter in a vast warehouse to drink frothy crap beer anyway drink - in fact as a Euro night no alcohol allowed in the stadium, who knew that) to enter IKEA land, sorry the Queen Elizabeth park. The definite pluses are the quality of the toilets, and the number of them , particularly noteworthy are the equal number of mens and womens. Thats the end of the pluses. My season ticket is Band 2, which means its the second most expensive, but the distance from the pitch means that its like watching a game of Subuteo from the end of the living room. I was expecting to be able to at least see the numbers on the players backs, but hell. At that distance it really easy to get distracted from the play, and it may be different when Tottenham play here, but I doubt it given the second major distraction, the 'new supporters'.

Now, I do appreciate that opening the new stadium has meant many, many, many more people can now watch a live game who were not able to do so previously because of the limited capacity of the Boleyn, but have a bit of respect for traditions. Don't sit there with your phone on permenantly catching up with whatever, do try and sing a bit, do at least say a few sensible things about the game or if not shut up (no Andy Carroll is not the best striker in the Universe, nor indeed Hackney Wick), please do not leave the game 15 minutes before it finishes to catch upon late night shopping at the Westfield, and please don't sit in front of me for the rest of the season with your brand new replica shirt (I have never seen this proportion of replica shirts at a game, even at Chelsea!). Its not their fault, they Know not what they are doing. Despite having watched WHU for forty-five years, a point was reached at 70 minutes in when I seriously contemplated never coming back again. Now i know what those die-hard Gunners must feel when they experience Drayton Park (sorry the 'Emirates') week in, week out. There was absolutely no atmosphere tonight, despite Slavin Bilic's best attempts to talk it up. The bond between players and supporters that so marked out Upton Park has gone, never to return, despite Mark Noble's best attempts at tracking down and tackling everything that moved.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Here's one of them

That is truly abysmal
  • Options

Thanks Jacob for your spot-on match report, but as you were sitting in the journo's bit above the posh boxes you may have missed out on the 'atmosphere' in the 'Kop' end, that is new East stand so I will devote my comments to the Olympic Stadium experience (sorry 'The London Stadium', forgot where I was for a moment).

Entered the Olympic Park from west via the normality of Bow. A twenty minute walk to the stadium (its not really a 'ground') from the nearest decent pub, but thats ok as who would want to loiter in a vast warehouse to drink frothy crap beer anyway drink - in fact as a Euro night no alcohol allowed in the stadium, who knew that) to enter IKEA land, sorry the Queen Elizabeth park. The definite pluses are the quality of the toilets, and the number of them , particularly noteworthy are the equal number of mens and womens. Thats the end of the pluses. My season ticket is Band 2, which means its the second most expensive, but the distance from the pitch means that its like watching a game of Subuteo from the end of the living room. I was expecting to be able to at least see the numbers on the players backs, but hell. At that distance it really easy to get distracted from the play, and it may be different when Tottenham play here, but I doubt it given the second major distraction, the 'new supporters'.

Now, I do appreciate that opening the new stadium has meant many, many, many more people can now watch a live game who were not able to do so previously because of the limited capacity of the Boleyn, but have a bit of respect for traditions. Don't sit there with your phone on permenantly catching up with whatever, do try and sing a bit, do at least say a few sensible things about the game or if not shut up (no Andy Carroll is not the best striker in the Universe, nor indeed Hackney Wick), please do not leave the game 15 minutes before it finishes to catch upon late night shopping at the Westfield, and please don't sit in front of me for the rest of the season with your brand new replica shirt (I have never seen this proportion of replica shirts at a game, even at Chelsea!). Its not their fault, they Know not what they are doing. Despite having watched WHU for forty-five years, a point was reached at 70 minutes in when I seriously contemplated never coming back again. Now i know what those die-hard Gunners must feel when they experience Drayton Park (sorry the 'Emirates') week in, week out. There was absolutely no atmosphere tonight, despite Slavin Bilic's best attempts to talk it up. The bond between players and supporters that so marked out Upton Park has gone, never to return, despite Mark Noble's best attempts at tracking down and tackling everything that moved.

Wait til they start losing as well...how long is that contract ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    E-cafc said:

Here's one of them

Good grief, that's no way to watch a footballing match.
  • Options
    Christmas shopping and the January sales at Westfield should make for a happy time st the taxpayers stadium
  • Options
    Hahahahaahhaha bunch of pricks, really hope the whole fucking thing blows up in their faces, but only after Upton Park has been redeveloped into housing, so they're stuck in that shithouse stadium for 100 years with no fans as they'd get a better view on a Kodi stream back at their houses in Basildon.
  • Options
    It is quite apparent to me that this whole plan was conceived and carried out by the Gold and Sullivan for money.

In time they will probably sort out the teething problems but it does have to be said that the 'price' of a free stadium is often higher than is initially thought.
  • Options

This is one of the many reasons why we should always keep the Valley. Sounds awful.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Hahahahaahhaha bunch of pricks, really hope the whole fucking thing blows up in their faces, but only after Upton Park has been redeveloped into housing, so they're stuck in that shithouse stadium for 100 years with no fans as they'd get a better view on a Kodi stream back at their houses in Basildon.

Really don't think most normal West Ham fans wanted to move away particularly not to where they have.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Really don't think most normal West Ham fans wanted to move away particularly not to where they have.
    You'd be surprised RCT. Know quite a few proper West Ham fans who are made up to be going there. Told them they will regret it eventually.
  • Options
    Never had a problem with West Ham or their supporters. Just hate that feckin club now and all they stand for today, corruption, greed and gimmickry. Now that of course is my problem and nobody else's and I am sure no-one apart from me, gives a flying feck of my opinion, but what a complete feckin sham. Another slice of working class culture sacrificed, when will we learn?

• Options
    It's sad for the West Ham fans , you have to value your history and protect it
  • Options
    My brother went last night. He said the stadium is very impressive and facilities first class, but for football it's not fit for purpose.

The main gripes were lack of atmosphere and poor view. In his words 'you can build a nice house, but it doesn't make it a home.'