Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham's Europa League Adventure

124»

Comments

• Options

My brother went last night. He said the stadium is very impressive and facilities first class, but for football it's not fit for purpose.

The main gripes were lack of atmosphere and poor view. In his words 'you can build a nice house, but it doesn't make it a home.'

You can build a nice athletics stadium but it doesn't make it a football ground
  • Options
    edited August 2016

sam3110 said:

Hahahahaahhaha bunch of pricks, really hope the whole fucking thing blows up in their faces, but only after Upton Park has been redeveloped into housing, so they're stuck in that shithouse stadium for 100 years with no fans as they'd get a better view on a Kodi stream back at their houses in Basildon.

Really don't think most normal West Ham fans wanted to move away particularly not to where they have.
    I won't lose any sleep over what 'normal' Wet Spam fans wanted. Ideas way above their station, almost all of them from Essex, act the billy big bollocks about being the academy of football blah blah blah, and almost every celebrity fan or football pundit that they have is a first class knob.
  • Options
    Brighton are called the Seagulls, perhaps West Ham should change their nickname to the Cuckoos,
  • Options
    red_murph said:

sam3110 said:

Hahahahaahhaha bunch of pricks, really hope the whole fucking thing blows up in their faces, but only after Upton Park has been redeveloped into housing, so they're stuck in that shithouse stadium for 100 years with no fans as they'd get a better view on a Kodi stream back at their houses in Basildon.

Really don't think most normal West Ham fans wanted to move away particularly not to where they have.
    You'd be surprised RCT. Know quite a few proper West Ham fans who are made up to be going there. Told them they will regret it eventually.
    At the Supporters Summit in July I met a rather remarkable woman in a West Ham top who represents just about the only organised fan opposition to the move. Although she seems a bit 'off the wall" some of the other London Trust people know her told me that the tales of intimidation against her, not just from fans, but also from people acting for West Ham, have credibility.

While I think @RodneyCharltonTrotta is right, such people exist, I fear that those he refers to are a minority, and they are intimidated into silence. This is the only London club that does not even have a Supporters Trust.

• Options
    A few on here said it would make a good football stadium. I do get bored of being right all of the time! :blush:
  • Options

A few on here said it would make a good football stadium. I do get bored of being right all of the time! :blush:

To be fair, it would make a good football stadium if it was purpose built and shaped like one and wasn't located in that particular spot
  • Options
    red_murph said:

sam3110 said:

You'd be surprised RCT. Know quite a few proper West Ham fans who are made up to be going there. Told them they will regret it eventually.
    correct. They all seem to lap it up. Don't think I heard one complaint. The club is dead in my opinion. Soon their fan base wI'll resemble palace's.
  • Options

To be fair, it would make a good football stadium if it was purpose built and shaped like one and wasn't located in that particular spot
    Like Upton Park?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Excellent rant from "Professor Brooking"

Thanks Jacob for your spot-on match report, but as you were sitting in the journo's bit above the posh boxes you may have missed out on the 'atmosphere' in the 'Kop' end, that is new East stand so I will devote my comments to the Olympic Stadium experience (sorry 'The London Stadium', forgot where I was for a moment).

Entered the Olympic Park from west via the normality of Bow. A twenty minute walk to the stadium (its not really a 'ground') from the nearest decent pub, but thats ok as who would want to loiter in a vast warehouse to drink frothy crap beer anyway drink - in fact as a Euro night no alcohol allowed in the stadium, who knew that) to enter IKEA land, sorry the Queen Elizabeth park. The definite pluses are the quality of the toilets, and the number of them , particularly noteworthy are the equal number of mens and womens. Thats the end of the pluses. My season ticket is Band 2, which means its the second most expensive, but the distance from the pitch means that its like watching a game of Subuteo from the end of the living room. I was expecting to be able to at least see the numbers on the players backs, but hell. At that distance it really easy to get distracted from the play, and it may be different when Tottenham play here, but I doubt it given the second major distraction, the 'new supporters'.

Now, I do appreciate that opening the new stadium has meant many, many, many more people can now watch a live game who were not able to do so previously because of the limited capacity of the Boleyn, but have a bit of respect for traditions. Don't sit there with your phone on permenantly catching up with whatever, do try and sing a bit, do at least say a few sensible things about the game or if not shut up (no Andy Carroll is not the best striker in the Universe, nor indeed Hackney Wick), please do not leave the game 15 minutes before it finishes to catch upon late night shopping at the Westfield, and please don't sit in front of me for the rest of the season with your brand new replica shirt (I have never seen this proportion of replica shirts at a game, even at Chelsea!). Its not their fault, they Know not what they are doing. Despite having watched WHU for forty-five years, a point was reached at 70 minutes in when I seriously contemplated never coming back again. Now i know what those die-hard Gunners must feel when they experience Drayton Park (sorry the 'Emirates') week in, week out. There was absolutely no atmosphere tonight, despite Slavin Bilic's best attempts to talk it up. The bond between players and supporters that so marked out Upton Park has gone, never to return, despite Mark Noble's best attempts at tracking down and tackling everything that moved.

Due to my total lack of interest in West Ham, it had not entered my tiny little brain that they were playing last night. It should have done.

I'd got myself lined up for some beverages in Holborn. And I use the Greater Anglia service into Liverpool St.

I was surprised on my journey up at 4pm to see large numbers of people wearing replica wet spam shirts and tracksuit bottoms on the train and The Evening Standard told me there was a match on. They'd also helpfully printed some guidance on getting to the stadium. According to The Standard, there is no parking at all on match days apart from a few blue badge places. So, public transport it is. Greater Anglia also seem to be offering some sort of ticket deal on a seasonal basis. But as it was suggested that it takes about 30 minutes to walk from Stratford station to the ground, this option doesn't seem too great if it's chucking it down.

Anyway, I thought, Jeez, my train back home is going to be interesting. And so it proved. The train company had laid on a 12-car jobbie, which was nice. But the crowds at Stratford were huge on both platforms 8 and 10. The latter has no roof, you wouldn't want to be standing up there, ten deep in inclement weather. Frankly it didn't look very safe at all. I don't know. of course, whether or not fans were being held outside the station too. They piled on to my train. At least they tried. I'd guess about half were left on the platform. Presumably waiting to try their luck on the next train some 20 minutes later. Those on the train didn't look very happy. I assumed they'd lost but they hadn't had they? It was clear that they were not that impressed with the whole experience and once the new stadium factor wears off......

BTW, do all their supporters smell or was I just unlucky with my train carriage?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Excellent rant from "Professor Brooking"

Thanks Jacob for your spot-on match report, but as you were sitting in the journo's bit above the posh boxes you may have missed out on the 'atmosphere' in the 'Kop' end, that is new East stand so I will devote my comments to the Olympic Stadium experience (sorry 'The London Stadium', forgot where I was for a moment).

Entered the Olympic Park from west via the normality of Bow. A twenty minute walk to the stadium (its not really a 'ground') from the nearest decent pub, but thats ok as who would want to loiter in a vast warehouse to drink frothy crap beer anyway drink - in fact as a Euro night no alcohol allowed in the stadium, who knew that) to enter IKEA land, sorry the Queen Elizabeth park. The definite pluses are the quality of the toilets, and the number of them , particularly noteworthy are the equal number of mens and womens. Thats the end of the pluses. My season ticket is Band 2, which means its the second most expensive, but the distance from the pitch means that its like watching a game of Subuteo from the end of the living room. I was expecting to be able to at least see the numbers on the players backs, but hell. At that distance it really easy to get distracted from the play, and it may be different when Tottenham play here, but I doubt it given the second major distraction, the 'new supporters'.

Now, I do appreciate that opening the new stadium has meant many, many, many more people can now watch a live game who were not able to do so previously because of the limited capacity of the Boleyn, but have a bit of respect for traditions. Don't sit there with your phone on permenantly catching up with whatever, do try and sing a bit, do at least say a few sensible things about the game or if not shut up (no Andy Carroll is not the best striker in the Universe, nor indeed Hackney Wick), please do not leave the game 15 minutes before it finishes to catch upon late night shopping at the Westfield, and please don't sit in front of me for the rest of the season with your brand new replica shirt (I have never seen this proportion of replica shirts at a game, even at Chelsea!). Its not their fault, they Know not what they are doing. Despite having watched WHU for forty-five years, a point was reached at 70 minutes in when I seriously contemplated never coming back again. Now i know what those die-hard Gunners must feel when they experience Drayton Park (sorry the 'Emirates') week in, week out. There was absolutely no atmosphere tonight, despite Slavin Bilic's best attempts to talk it up. The bond between players and supporters that so marked out Upton Park has gone, never to return, despite Mark Noble's best attempts at tracking down and tackling everything that moved.

Due to my total lack of interest in West Ham, it had not entered my tiny little brain that they were playing last night. It should have done.

I'd got myself lined up for some beverages in Holborn. And I use the Greater Anglia service into Liverpool St.

I was surprised on my journey up at 4pm to see large numbers of people wearing replica wet spam shirts and tracksuit bottoms on the train and The Evening Standard told me there was a match on. They'd also helpfully printed some guidance on getting to the stadium. According to The Standard, there is no parking at all on match days apart from a few blue badge places. So, public transport it is. Greater Anglia also seem to be offering some sort of ticket deal on a seasonal basis. But as it was suggested that it takes about 30 minutes to walk from Stratford station to the ground, this option doesn't seem too great if it's chucking it down.

Anyway, I thought, Jeez, my train back home is going to be interesting. And so it proved. The train company had laid on a 12-car jobbie, which was nice. But the crowds at Stratford were huge on both platforms 8 and 10. The latter has no roof, you wouldn't want to be standing up there, ten deep in inclement weather. Frankly it didn't look very safe at all. I don't know. of course, whether or not fans were being held outside the station too. They piled on to my train. At least they tried. I'd guess about half were left on the platform. Presumably waiting to try their luck on the next train some 20 minutes later. Those on the train didn't look very happy. I assumed they'd lost but they hadn't had they? It was clear that they were not that impressed with the whole experience and once the new stadium factor wears off......

BTW, do all their supporters smell or was I just unlucky with my train carriage?
    Looked something like this I take it?

• Options

I think West Ham made a massive error moving from Upton Park to the Olympic Stadium, their ground was really their USP, it was a really special place.

As we know a ground is really the soul of the club and I think they have given away a lot more than they realise.

It depends on what you mean by 'West Ham' if you mean the club and fans, yeah, they're f*****, no atmosphere, no view, no integrity.

However, if you mean the ownership, they are going to laughing all the way to the bank, without a care in the world for the long term health of the club.

It's actually quite sad.

• Options
    I went last night with a couple of West Ham fan mates. The stadium wasn't too bad, from where we sat there was a massive gap at one end we could see that had walk ways over them for access to the lower tier, apparently they will be covered over at some point. The stadium was pretty full and when I pointed out the empty seats at both ends someone said they were limited to 52,000 or something due to a safety certificate needed for 60,000 capacity that won't be in place until the premier season starts.
    The atmosphere seemed more like a friendly to me although when it did get loud it was very loud. But I suppose the true test will be when there are some away fans in place, I don't know where the other team were from but I don't think they had any fans there at all.
    The blokes I was with were season ticket holders from way back and they seemed family happy with it but I think the jury will be out until they play a big team like Spurs or Man U.
  • Options

It is quite apparent to me that this whole plan was conceived and carried out by the Gold and Sullivan for money.

In time they will probably sort out the teething problems but it does have to be said that the 'price' of a free stadium is often higher than is initially thought.

haha what else could it be about ? certainly not giving the supporters a top quality stadium at affordable prices. it was ALWAYS about making as much money for themselves as possible. Still other than the fact that we're all subsidising it who gives a fuck, we have more than enough problems in SE7
  • Options
    What kit are West Ham wearing today against Juve ? Is seems to be all black without a sponsor and a Union Jack on the breast. Assuming it's commemorating something but not sure what ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

What kit are West Ham wearing today against Juve ? Is seems to be all black without a sponsor and a Union Jack on the breast. Assuming it's commemorating something but not sure what ?

Commemorating them moving into the new stadium apparently, yours for just £90.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

se9addick said:

Commemorating them moving into the new stadium apparently, yours for just £90.
    I thought it might be that - so it's literally a shirt commemorating them moving to a new stadium ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Probably commemorating Wet Spam winning the World Cup.
  • Options
    Probably all part of the new branding. London stadium, London on the badge, a shirt with the union flag on it and with 50k+season ticket holders it's quite an attractive club to buy now...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    West Ham (just in case you didn't know we are in London) United