Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt's scoring streak

Comments

• Options

Hang on. Feet on the ground time.

TW is clearly something special and a great talent. But we all know what happens to Charlton players who come into these categories. It's usually just a question of how long can we hold onto the player.

2 weeks to go until the transfer window shuts. Wouldn't be at all surprised if a Premier league club who fancied taking a punt at picking up a possible bargain put in a cheeky offer. (Don't be fooled into thinking they don't know about TW). Would Roland take the money? Would you bet against him doing so?

Needs to sort his fitness out before the prem comes calling IMO.
    Agreed, Tony has the potential to be a lot, lot better than he currently is.

A lot lot lot better
  • Options
    I agree with those questioning his fitness. I find it very surprising that after all the pre-season training that he looks knackered by half-time. Some say this is just his style and the way he plays but I'm not so sure. It's a real shame because if he was as fit as all the other players he would be even better than he is--and he's certainly a lot lot better than any other striker we have---even half fit!
  • Options
    Great to watch, superb natural ability. Hope we can keep him for a couple of years. If he can score 20+ he would be worth £10-15M if you compare to the likes of McCormack and Rhodes.
  • Options
    As I said on another thread, the man puts bums on seats...
  • Options

The man gets bum off seats to applaud.

• Options
    Anyone have any idea if he is any good in the air as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone have any idea if he is any good in the air as well?

He's capable in the air, but he doesn't need to rely on that as the ball sticks to him anyway. With the mutant up top with him he can worry about making himself available for through balls and balls in to feet
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    There was one game at the valley last season(at the covered end) when Fox put a great ball across to the far post at shoulder height and Tony instead of heading it went with his feet,
    That's why Big Mak should be a good foil for Watt.
  • Options
    Church was better................
  • Options

Church was better................

Refused to lol this... you are just fishing for lols!
  • Options

Apparently he cleans them as well
  • Options

Apparently he cleans them as well
    Bums or seats?
  • Options

I can't think of a player I've seen at this level who makes an entire back four collapse when he runs at them. I've seen explosive pace, deadly finishing, pure power, but Watt has something different. Watch back his goals this season against QPR, Daggers and Derby. Each time he gets the ball deep, doesn't show a ridiculous difference in pace and doesn't bounce players off him to travel forward, he just moves the ball around his feet and nothing can stop him. It's fantastic to watch. I think he might be a witch.

WARLOCKS

• Options
    From what I've seen on the video clips he seems to be getting his shots away nice and early. Hope he keeps it up as not only does it take the keeper by surprise but can also bring lucky deflections like on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've had him as first goal scorer the last three games. Even told the guys at work and they have won a few quid.

Superb player. We have got some exciting players
  • Options
    Gotta laugh at the dorks on instagram convinced he'd go back to Celtic.

Champs league or no he has a chance to break into the prem with us, you'd be mad to think he'd waste that with a move back to effin Glasgow. No matter how cheap the booze is.

Also as a side note. My mate's family is from Coatbridge (same as Tony) and his aunt saw him "acting flash in the chip shop" last summer. That makes me love him all the more.
  • Options
    Please don't tell me he had a fried Mars bar EastStand !
  • Options
    nah, I reckon he's a white pudding supper and bottle of red cola man.
  • Options
    He is currently 50/1 to be top goalscorer in the division.
  • Options
    I reckon Tony needs to be viewed in an holistic sense.
    It all needs to be taken together in order to manage him well.

He is young.
    He already has a history.
    He has talent.
    He is possibly opinionated, possibly moody.
    He works best when fit, but therefore needs to commit to training.
    He has a fantastic sense already of the footballing showman crowds love, yet might be a bit shy one on one.
    His name is easy to chant.
    He needs to work on his heading, and the speed of his decision making, to a degree his game is easy to read, if not easy to deal with.

Tony Watt could develop into a bit of a legend, especially if he accepts that his legend was not only sparked into life at Celtic, but can be forged into a very reckonable state even here at Charlton Athletic.

Train well, behave, accept it is a team sport, and live to play, is my advice to Tony. Don't brood on stuff, get yourself a nice partner and relish being young, and good and at Charlton Athletic.
    Count your blessings Tony, and exploit them.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

He is young.
    He has talent.
    He has a fantastic sense already of the footballing showman crowds love, yet might be a bit shy one on one.
    He needs to work on his heading, and the speed of his decision making, to a degree his game is easy to read, if not easy to deal with.

Tony Watt could develop into a bit of a legend, especially if he accepts that his legend was not only sparked into life at Celtic, but can be forged into a very reckonable state even here at Charlton Athletic.

Train well, behave, accept it is a team sport, and live to play, is my advice to Tony. Don't brood on stuff, get yourself a nice partner and relish being young, and good and at Charlton Athletic.

You'll be advising him to go to church every sunday next! My advice is to carry on being Tony Watt and to enjoy the hero-worship he will get as long as he is seen to have talent, put in a shift and appreciate his fans - as he currently does.

Players like him are never going to train up to be perfect and will always have flaws but will find "legend" status achievable for their good points. Leaving for another club in the "wrong" circumstances is always capable of permanently undermining that though!
  • Options
    Let him be the way he is - its working, so why fix it? I want him to think he is the dogs nuts - that way he will want to play like he is the dogs nuts.

Reminds me a bit of when Rooney was a young player and the pundits and 'experts' were trying to mold him into a perfect person, which infact would detract from that x-factor that he always had that made him different.
  • Options

seth plum said:

He is young.
    He has talent.

You'll be advising him to go to church every sunday next! My advice is to carry on being Tony Watt and to enjoy the hero-worship he will get as long as he is seen to have talent, put in a shift and appreciate his fans - as he currently does.

Players like him are never going to train up to be perfect and will always have flaws but will find "legend" status achievable for their good points. Leaving for another club in the "wrong" circumstances is always capable of permanently undermining that though!
    For the name "Tony Watt" replace with "Derek Hales"...

You are spot on!
  • Options
    He's also a funny bastard. Anyone seen his instagram posts?

Cracking one of Fox using a hairdryer in the hotel room in the dark before Saturday's game with the comment 'if he wants to be my roommate the rest of the season, this isn't going to be acceptable'

As long as he doesn't cross the line - and keeps producing on the pitch - then I love that kind of stuff.