Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forest v Charlton | Tue 18 Aug | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Drysdale

Introduction
Following on from a hard fought 1-1 draw against promotion favourites Derby County, it’s once again time for the Charlton faithful to travel back up the M1 and to another Championship club in the Midlands, Nottingham Forest

The Addicks look to continue their early season form and tally up another three vital points in what could help determine whether we are to be promotion challengers ourselves, or once again nearly men. Should it be the latter then we could see history repeat itself from twelve months ago when we managed a win on our opening match at the Valley and a draw in our first away opener. Of course, should this be the case then three points and a bit of déjà vu wouldn’t be too bad, would it?

The Opposition
This Tuesday night we find Charlton up against one of England’s historic clubs with Nottingham Forest (under legendary Manager: Brian Clough) being the only English side to ever win back to back European Cups. Sadly, they also hold the record of being the only European Champions to end up in the third tier of its National League. With a transfer embargo in place, it’s hard to see Forest making a promotion challenge themselves this time around.

Last Season: Ironically, Nottingham Forest and Charlton had very similar campaigns in 2014/15… they were the last teams to be unbeaten in the Championship with both being beaten for the first time on the same day, both sacked their managers with Stuart Pearce being replaced by Dougie Freedman and despite late season pushes for the Play-Offs, both sides had to settle for mid-table obscurity.

Pre-Season: With a transfer embargo in place it didn’t help when they lost two of their main players from last season in Karl Darlow and Jamaal Lascelles when they finally made their moves to Newcastle following season long loan. In terms of friendlies, they only won one match which was against Stevenage (3-0) although draws did come against Premier League opposition in Swansea City (1-1) and Aston Villa (3-3).

This-Season: Well it hasn’t been the best of starts but by all means we shouldn’t take Forest lightly; defeat against Brighton on the opening day of the season was followed up by a 4-3 defeat against Walsall in the League Cup. Forest finally got points on the board last Saturday coming from behind against Rotherham United to win 2-1. The fact they made hard work of a relegation candidate doesn’t bode too well for their fans though.

Key Player
As always I start this section with a look back at reunion between the two sides… Of course for Nottingham Forest there is the creative: Andy Reid who had a successful (but sadly short) stint at the Valley, and whilst they are no ex-Forest players in the Charlton ranks, i'm sure the Forest fans may give a warm welcome to Johnnie Jackson who spent six months at their City rivals: Notts County

My player to watch though is someone who terrorised Lawrie Wilson in the last match between these two sides, yet was someone who was tamed on the other flank by our own Morgan Fox… Michail Antonio who signed from Sheffield Wednesday is one of the quickest wingers in the Division, having started out his career at Reading he failed to make the grade in Berkshire and only managed 28-appearances with a long list of loan spells.

Signing for Forest last summer he managed 14-goals in a full Championship season as he would go on to appear in every match last season… Rumours of a £5m bid from West Bromwich Albion was rejected and with Britt Assombalonga still out injured, Forest will need to keep their danger man under lock and key until September to stand any chance in the Championship this season.

Possible Line-Up
Pope
Solly – Bauer – Diarra – Fox
Gudmundsson – Kashi – Ba – Cousins
Watt – Makienok

Prediction
Charlton to bounce back after barely being contained on Saturday against Derby:

Nottingham Forest 1-3 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    Like against Derby. we never win at Forest..........I'll stick my neck out for another 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    Eddie Youds won us a game there once too
  • Options
    Only 6 out of 35 voters over on Forest's internet forum think they will win.

Confidence is very low following the loss at Brighton and scraping three points against Rotherham.

We can beat them if we play to our potential and I think we will.

0-2 (Bauer, Makienok)
  • Options
    Excellent write up.

0-3 to Charlton for me.
  • Options
    Unchanged team, 1-2 to the addicks
  • Options
    @NottmPostSport: Freedman: Charlton #cafc have found right blueprint for success in Championship, plus #nffc boss on Reid's U21 return http://t.co/R5ANyBE46O
  • Options

Like against Derby. we never win at Forest..........I'll stick my neck out for another 1-1 draw.

Other than when we beat them two seasons ago thanks to a Cousins goal
    Sorry everybody, but I go to games in the midlands including Forest, and the only game I did not go to, in the last few years was when we won. I have seen us draw, and I am going to the match tomorrow. I hope I am not a jinx, would like to see us win
  • Options
    heart says win .. head says draw .. feck it ... Nottingham Forest 2 v CAFC 3
  • Options
    Same as the Derby game. Forest are another 4-2-3-1 team, so it will be 4-4-1-1, with TWWW dropping in as the fifth midfielder when Forest have the ball. It worked well at Derby, especially in the second half when we got the ball forward quickly on the counter attack, instead of trying to pass it out as we had done unsuccessfully in the first half and conceded possession too easily.

Forest are struggling with injuries and a transfer embargo forcing them to use players out of position. Lichaj at Right Back and Mancienne/Fox at left back, are both weaknesses, with no protection in front. Attack those areas and we'll open them up.

If we can replicate the performances against QPR & Derby, I fancy all three points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ross1 said:

Other than when we beat them two seasons ago thanks to a Cousins goal
    Sorry everybody, but I go to games in the midlands including Forest, and the only game I did not go to, in the last few years was when we won. I have seen us draw, and I am going to the match tomorrow. I hope I am not a jinx, would like to see us win
    Can you put up a picture for us @Ross1... Then if someone can ambush him on the way to the game and lock him in their boot that would be much appreciated
    Thanks m8, it is nice to know, we are all in this together:-)
  • Options
    bobcafc7 said:

@NottmPostSport: Freedman: Charlton #cafc have found right blueprint for success in Championship, plus #nffc boss on Reid's U21 return http://t.co/R5ANyBE46O

This is good.

1-2 to the Addicks, Watt and Makienok
  • Options
    I would very surprised ( and very happy! ) if we score 3 goals at forest, i do think we will win but maybe 0-1( Big Mak ) or 1-2 (Big Mak, Gudmundsson ) i also think Watt will run there defence ragged!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Gudmunsson has gone too long without scoring.

1-1

• Options
    Forest 0 - Charlton 1 JBG
  • Options
    1-2 to GL's Red and White Army
  • Options
    0-1 I say and damn their eyes!
  • Options
    0 - 1 (JBG pen)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has the look of another draw to me 1-1
  • Options
    Can I buy tickets at the ground?
  • Options
    Quite confident we can take the points tomorrow night, two nil win.

If we can contain Antonio, im not sure they have much to offer going forward.

Watt with both our goals, so we can all have a good panic over keeping him past August 31st. ;-)

• Options
    What length contract is Watt on? I'd hate to see us lose him early in the season because he is too good at this level...
  • Options
    Forest 2-0 Charlton

We all scratch our heads and wonder if we really are as good as we think.
  • Options
    Forest didn't look good against Brighton and by all accounts struggled against Rotherham. I'm going stick my neck out and go for a 2-0 to Charlton. Big Mak and Paddy Beckenbauer with the goals #fingerscrossed
  • Options

What length contract is Watt on? I'd hate to see us lose him early in the season because he is too good at this level...

• Options
    Thanks. I'd still hate to lose him. There aren't many people who, when they get the ball can take it stuck like glue past numerous opponents and then crack a shot off. They don't all go in but he is, well supported, dynamite.
  • Options
    Can see Ba coming back into the side for Ceballos but that should be about it. 0-1 to what I assume will be Guy Luzon's Purple Army. JBG to get off the mark.
  • Options
    The most confidence I have ever seen on a pre match thread on this forum. 0-2 forest it is then.

I will be picking up from the match thread from a steaming hot Philadelphia so if we can pin it for the evening so I don't run the risk of seeing thread title spoilers that would be great.