Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Canada

Comments

• Options
    Been in vancouver for just over 6 months now and absolutely love it. Echo what everyone else has said, different lifestyle to back home, more chilled out, more to do outdoors etc and a whole new sporting culture to learn and enjoy.

Have only been to Ontario on holiday (before we moved here - just to Toronto and Niagara) so can't offer too much advice other than I really enjoyed it.

It seems to be, like the states, that lifestyle/culture is quite different from east to west - worth travelling about and see what suits you best. Either way you'll have an amazing time.

If you've got any questions - feel free to drop me a message mate - there's others on here who have been here a lot longer but I'll do my best!

If you find yourself in vancouver, let me know, we can grab a beer and discuss which day in March we'll have the title wrapped up by!
  • Options
    On the ferry to Vancouver Island. Just thought I would share. I love it here
  • Options
    I have known two Canadian girls, both very forward, both lovely, but one of them was a bit nutty, and the other a bit eccentric.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I have known two Canadian girls, both very forward, both lovely, but one of them was a bit nutty, and the other a bit eccentric.

takes one to know two
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I currently live in Toronto, Born and raised. You're not missing anything, over-governed in Ontario for sure. Can only buy beer and liquor from the LCBO/Beer Store so you cant go down the street to a convenience store or anything. Only between 11am and 9/10pm depending on the location and the day of the week. Bars/Pubs stop serving at 2am and close at 3am

Provincial government has to be one the most corrupt ive seen and they have just been relected. Billions of dollars go missing, no one knows where and no one takes responsibility, in anycase the weather in Toronto isnt that bad +30* in July & August -30* in January/February. Its the humidity that can get it into the 40s and the windchill that gets it into the minus 40s

As far as sports go, yes we have them all mind you, you probably wont be able to afford a ticket to any event as they are extortionately priced with the exception of the Blue Jays (MLB) but with them looking to make their first post season run in over 20 years i am sure they will jack those tickets next year. A 500 level seat is currently $17.00

Our subway system sucks, and i mean it sucks, considering Toronto is trying to make an Olympic bid for 2024 we are piss poor. We have two lines, one runs East-West and one does a U shape oh and the big news of the year is we just got a rail link to the airport! yay! yes it is 2015, this rail link to the airport will cost you $27.00 per person so if you have two people it is cheaper to get a cab.

With the way the Canadian dollar is going quickly it is hurting our travel to go anywhere, even to the states and being as we've pretty much outsourced all our labour/manufacturing in on Ontario at least we dont have a lot of exports anymore. Ontario is in a deficit and the country is technically in a recession again.

I guess they say the grass is greener on the other side as i am looking to move that way, not to England but to Ireland instead getting out of the concrete overpriced jungle. As someone has previously mentioned the average house price for a detached home in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is $800,000.00. The condos the size of shoeboxes that are going up start around $280,000.00. It is one of the most overpriced cities in North America with hugely inflated values. If you got any questions though about Toronto and the surrounding areas all the way to Niagara and stuff let me know.

27 Years Old (Edit)
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Back in '92 I dropped the most obscene fart in the little giftshop on the ferry on my way back from staying with friends at Port Alice. Absolutely love Vancouver Island and Vancouver itself.

I lived in Canada from 1974 - 1979 in a little town called Wheatley in Ontario. Can't remember much as I was a little kid but I so wished we'd got citizenship before we came back to England. If I could I'd move back to Canada in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    If you go to Canada in December for 2 years you'll miss the promotion run in, the league cup and fa cup final wins we are going to have, the Premiership and our first matches in the European champions league... Bad timing or what ?
  • Options

kimbo said:

Back in '92 I dropped the most obscene fart in the little giftshop on the ferry on my way back from staying with friends at Port Alice. Absolutely love Vancouver Island and Vancouver itself.

I lived in Canada from 1974 - 1979 in a little town called Wheatley in Ontario. Can't remember much as I was a little kid but I so wished we'd got citizenship before we came back to England. If I could I'd move back to Canada in a heartbeat.
    I don't want to go as much now...
  • Options

I guess they say the grass is greener on the other side as i am looking to move that way, not to England but to Ireland instead getting out of the concrete overpriced jungle.

If you're looking to avoid nanny-state off-licence and pub closing times, corrupt government, expensive sporting events, poor transport infrastructure, exchange rate collapses, and overpriced housing, you should think hard before deciding to move to Ireland.
  • Options

If you go to Canada in December for 2 years you'll miss the promotion run in, the league cup and fa cup final wins we are going to have, the Premiership and our first matches in the European champions league... Bad timing or what ?

I can't afford to go matches at the moment due to this commitment.

Seeing charlton do well at my absence is surprisingly bitter sweet. I would have loved being there today.

It better be worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only complaint. Rubbish vegetarian restaurants
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Think you get what you deserve for that one tbh
  • Options
    Anyone know a good place to look for 2 years worth of solid travel insurance in Canada? Got quoted £827. Must be able to get a better deal.
  • Options
    What are you looking to be covered for?
  • Options
    I only really want the minimum for minimum cost but don't even know what the minimum requirement is. The company helping me don't know for sure and I also don't want to gamble anything.

Travel insurance, health and working abroad woukd be the safe sufficient option but that amounts to £827 for 2 years. Just gutted as I got told the insurance was really cheap and simple enough.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I only really want the minimum for minimum cost but don't even know what the minimum requirement is. The company helping me don't know for sure and I also don't want to gamble anything.

Travel insurance, health and working abroad woukd be the safe sufficient option but that amounts to £827 for 2 years. Just gutted as I got told the insurance was really cheap and simple enough.

I'm sorry, but that does sound really cheap! For a comparison, a youngster like yourself could easily pay around £500 a year for private medical cover in the UK and that's with the backstop of NHS GPs and emergency treatment factored in which presumably wouldn't apply in Canada.
  • Options
    Free healthcare in Canada, I thought.
  • Options
    When I came here, and this is Alberta so rules may be different in Ontario, you had to be here for 3 months and then you were eligible for an Alberta health card which gives you access to Alberta's NHS. My employer covered me for that initial period, sounds like yours probably won't be doing that though. I also have health insurance through my employer and did so even when I was only a temporary foreign worker not a permanent resident.

There is free health care here but you also pay for a lot of other services - prescriptions, dentistry etc so I would recommend having health insurance but I would have thought you should be looking for a Canadian insurer rather than travel insurance. You're going to be a Canadian resident for 2 years after all and that way you'll be able to pay monthly or bi-weekly (that's probably how you will get paid).

My work's policy is through Desjardin who are nationwide, my missus is with an Alberta only company. I have no idea about Ontario based firms.
  • Options

When I came here, and this is Alberta so rules may be different in Ontario, you had to be here for 3 months and then you were eligible for an Alberta health card which gives you access to Alberta's NHS. My employer covered me for that initial period, sounds like yours probably won't be doing that though. I also have health insurance through my employer and did so even when I was only a temporary foreign worker not a permanent resident.

There is free health care here but you also pay for a lot of other services - prescriptions, dentistry etc so I would recommend having health insurance but I would have thought you should be looking for a Canadian insurer rather than travel insurance. You're going to be a Canadian resident for 2 years after all and that way you'll be able to pay monthly or bi-weekly (that's probably how you will get paid).

My work's policy is through Desjardin who are nationwide, my missus is with an Alberta only company. I have no idea about Ontario based firms.

Thanks for that info.

I will probably and or hopefully be working for 15/16 months duration of my 2 stay (changing jobs different areas etc) and plan to do activities and travelling in-between those jobs. Perhaps cross boarder to the U.S for a bit.

This question carries a lot of variables but how much would you say to be a good amount of money to take out starting off? After flight insurance and all essentials paid for.
    Reminds me I need to get a Canadian bank account.

I'm quite unprepared at this point a lot to do.

Slightly worried by a possibility of extreme bitter-sweetness as I feel charlton would have achieved something major in the year 2016 and I won't be there to witness it. I should have done this in 2008!

5k-10k?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Seth must have got there before you

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Mrs and son have just returned from 3 weeks in Calgary and Edmonton.
    If anyone is thinking of going check out Canadianaffair.com. We saved a grand on the flights compared with BA and Air Canada.
  • Options
    Good luck in Ontario...the locals are mainly healthy (less lard arses than south of the border) and wealthy and they like their beer big time. They don't have much time for yanks but they do love the Queen. The lakes and River Lawrence areas are great to visit and if you can head up to Quebec province. The French Canadians are a hoot with their insistence on everything being in French - even stop signs which even our friends across the Channel accept should say stop rather than arret. But if anything they love their beer more than Ontarians. This time of the year is perfect and you can chill in a lakeside bar and munch on sweet potato crisps. (Not just talking about the Great Lakes either, every town seems to have a lake alongside). The only downside for you is that you will be arriving in mid winter. So you will spend a lot of time inside or underground. Get through the freeze and enjoy the warm days which will follow.
  • Options

I currently live in Toronto, Born and raised. You're not missing anything, over-governed in Ontario for sure. Can only buy beer and liquor from the LCBO/Beer Store so you cant go down the street to a convenience store or anything. Only between 11am and 9/10pm depending on the location and the day of the week. Bars/Pubs stop serving at 2am and close at 3am

Provincial government has to be one the most corrupt ive seen and they have just been relected. Billions of dollars go missing, no one knows where and no one takes responsibility, in anycase the weather in Toronto isnt that bad +30* in July & August -30* in January/February. Its the humidity that can get it into the 40s and the windchill that gets it into the minus 40s

As far as sports go, yes we have them all mind you, you probably wont be able to afford a ticket to any event as they are extortionately priced with the exception of the Blue Jays (MLB) but with them looking to make their first post season run in over 20 years i am sure they will jack those tickets next year. A 500 level seat is currently $17.00

Our subway system sucks, and i mean it sucks, considering Toronto is trying to make an Olympic bid for 2024 we are piss poor. We have two lines, one runs East-West and one does a U shape oh and the big news of the year is we just got a rail link to the airport! yay! yes it is 2015, this rail link to the airport will cost you $27.00 per person so if you have two people it is cheaper to get a cab.

With the way the Canadian dollar is going quickly it is hurting our travel to go anywhere, even to the states and being as we've pretty much outsourced all our labour/manufacturing in on Ontario at least we dont have a lot of exports anymore. Ontario is in a deficit and the country is technically in a recession again.

I guess they say the grass is greener on the other side as i am looking to move that way, not to England but to Ireland instead getting out of the concrete overpriced jungle. As someone has previously mentioned the average house price for a detached home in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is $800,000.00. The condos the size of shoeboxes that are going up start around $280,000.00. It is one of the most overpriced cities in North America with hugely inflated values. If you got any questions though about Toronto and the surrounding areas all the way to Niagara and stuff let me know.

27 Years Old (Edit)

That's made my work trip to Toronto (tomorrow) sound like I'd do better resigning rather than getting on the flight
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Thanks for that info.

I will probably and or hopefully be working for 15/16 months duration of my 2 stay (changing jobs different areas etc) and plan to do activities and travelling in-between those jobs. Perhaps cross boarder to the U.S for a bit.

This question carries a lot of variables but how much would you say to be a good amount of money to take out starting off? After flight insurance and all essentials paid for.
    Reminds me I need to get a Canadian bank account.

I'm quite unprepared at this point a lot to do.

Slightly worried by a possibility of extreme bitter-sweetness as I feel charlton would have achieved something major in the year 2016 and I won't be there to witness it. I should have done this in 2008!

5k-10k?
    I'll pm you later.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

27 Years Old (Edit)

That's made my work trip to Toronto (tomorrow) sound like I'd do better resigning rather than getting on the flight
    It's interesting to read this. I find this attitude in Canada quite a lot. I often meet people who ask me why the hell I'd leave Europe to go to Canada because Europe seems so much more interesting to them. Likewise, when I visit the UK people often tell me they wish they could do it because they think the UK is a crap place to live these days.

Having seen both sides I can say there are good things and bad things to both countries as you would expect. 10 years ago, when I was a bit more free and easy, living in the UK was good especially with it being cheap and easy to visit the continent. Now I'm mid 30s with a kid and more career focussed Alberta is proving an excellent place to be. Truth is though, in the grand scheme of things, both countries are amongst the best in the world to live in which is why people living in genuinely crap places (like Syria for example) are willing to go to such desperate measures to get into them.

I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have been born where we were.
  • Options

If anyone is thinking of going check out Canadianaffair.com. We saved a grand on the flights compared with BA and Air Canada.

We came back on Friday, how are you coping with the jet lag?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

We came back on Friday, how are you coping with the jet lag?
    They are not! Both have been bad since they got back.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

PL54 said:

27 Years Old (Edit)

It's interesting to read this. I find this attitude in Canada quite a lot. I often meet people who ask me why the hell I'd leave Europe to go to Canada because Europe seems so much more interesting to them. Likewise, when I visit the UK people often tell me they wish they could do it because they think the UK is a crap place to live these days.

Having seen both sides I can say there are good things and bad things to both countries as you would expect. 10 years ago, when I was a bit more free and easy, living in the UK was good especially with it being cheap and easy to visit the continent. Now I'm mid 30s with a kid and more career focussed Alberta is proving an excellent place to be. Truth is though, in the grand scheme of things, both countries are amongst the best in the world to live in which is why people living in genuinely crap places (like Syria for example) are willing to go to such desperate measures to get into them.

I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have been born where we were.
    I agree, the think everyone always thinks the grass is greener on the otherside.

Just talking about my personal experience living in Ontario my entire life. Our premier use to be called uncle dad because of the policies being put in place made everyone feel like children. As i mentioned before, there is quite a bit of corruption in the politics of Ontario.

The country itself is beautiful, our dollar sucks at the moment so going down to the states is a killer.

I would also like to point out the cheap flights europe gets compared to us is nuts. Toronto is one of the most expensive airports to fly into. Meanwhile you can get an easyjet flight so cheap and go to another country. To fly to Montreal (5 Hour Drive) is normally around $400.00 its extortionate.

Canada is a nice place to live, maybe im a little bias as Toronto sucks at the moment, our streets our in disarray because no one thought ahead (The Gardiner Expressway) Our transit or lack there of is laughable compared to other "World Class" cities or at least that is what we like to see ourself as and our immigration policies have had an effect on large urban centres, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, all the housing prices are through the roof, violence is up especially in Toronto this year. Shootings in 2012 were 22(deaths) for the entire year, currently already at 17 and they are always on the news about someone getting shot not necessarily dying. Crime Stats For Toronto (http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php)

It's not really the place i grew up anymore i guess which is the sad part but i guess everything changes.

I would probably advise to move outwest somewhere live Alberta, and if you go far enough north you will get a northern living allowance Ha Ha, Ottawa isnt bad either.
  • Options
    Been here since Wednesday.
    Living in what looks like a setting to a haunted film. Very good for pictures. I'd say it's cold but not completely overwhelmingly, as long as your wearing warm enough clothing it really isn't going to hurt.
    Toronto is a good city probably something that is just similar to another town in America but with European edge and no more lively then London id say in terms of nightlife and stuff.

People are generally more friendly and your more likely to have a laugh and joke with someone you don't know.

I'm currently staying in a house with roughly 10-15 others and have been since Friday. It's annoying as they are mostly English. I've come all the way to Canada just to meet people from back home.
    I'm struggling with the experience of living with others I'm not naturally an outgoing kind of traveller person so feel it's almost beyond my social capabilities. I've tried to speak to few people but to be honest I just don't really like them.

Staying at Blue Mountain Ontario, close to Collingwood....if anyone's about?!
  • Options
    I was in Toronto last week Dave, it wasn't cold - you're going to experience much colder than that!! Are you working at the ski resort up there?