Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Canada

Comments

• Options

Sorry got distracted while typing and forgot to mention:-

Flying into or out of Vancouver would give the chance to spend some time in a beautiful city and part of the world. No offence to any Calgarians on here, Calgary is nice enough but there isn't much for tourists other than the view of the Rockies in the distance, although a couple of hours south of Calgary is the Dinosaur Provincial Park which is kind of magical.

Not really much to do in Calgary for the tourist other than possibly at a Stampede time - first two weeks of July. Vancouver is far more interesting.

Westjet will be flying to London Gatwick soon - will be interesting to see how this affects pricing.
  • Options
    Lived in Toronto for last 3 years and love almost everything about it.

While we are talking flights, Air Canada are also launching their budget Rouge flights to Gatwick next year also so increased competition should cut cost of travelling back to Blighty
  • Options
    When me and the wife go up to Alberta we always stay in the town of Canmore just south of Banff good hotels and great places to eat/drink a lot quieter than Banff and a lot cheaper too.
  • Options

When me and the wife go up to Alberta we always stay in the town of Canmore just south of Banff good hotels and great places to eat/drink a lot quieter than Banff and a lot cheaper too.

Next time say hello! That's where I live, Gavin Peacock lives here too!!
  • Options
    I probably sound like an unsettled Moany c*nt but I really wana leave Ontario and do more exploring and settle in a place more suitable for me.

Much much easier said then done and bit of an unrealistic fantasy but considering I'm not the most social person I'd like to live on my own (could be in a shed) and cut down trees for a living in a moose surrounded environment! Anything close to that would be great!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I probably sound like an unsettled Moany c*nt but I really wana leave Ontario and do more exploring and settle in a place more suitable for me.

Much much easier said then done and bit of an unrealistic fantasy but considering I'm not the most social person I'd like to live on my own (could be in a shed) and cut down trees for a living in a moose surrounded environment! Anything close to that would be great!

A bleak place surrounded by wildlife eh?

Bermondsey?
  • Options
    Long shot but does anyone live in or near collingwood Ontario?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Sorry got distracted while typing and forgot to mention:-

Flying into or out of Vancouver would give the chance to spend some time in a beautiful city and part of the world. No offence to any Calgarians on here, Calgary is nice enough but there isn't much for tourists other than the view of the Rockies in the distance, although a couple of hours south of Calgary is the Dinosaur Provincial Park which is kind of magical.

Not really much to do in Calgary for the tourist other than possibly at a Stampede time - first two weeks of July. Vancouver is far more interesting.

Westjet will be flying to London Gatwick soon - will be interesting to see how this affects pricing.
    Westjet starting in May I think mate. Got some quotes before Xmas to Prince George via Vancouver from Gatwick and they were offering £480 return - in August!!! Probably gone up a bit now though.
  • Options
    Poutine is the most delicious thing that makes love to the tastebuds. So simple...it's the perfect before watching a game of football snack.

Surely there's a market to be exploited for this treat in England..most notably football grounds.

Never heard of it before arriving in Canada.

Someone do it and rake in ££££
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Poutine is the most delicious thing that makes love to the tastebuds. So simple...it's the perfect before watching a game of football snack.

Surely there's a market to be exploited for this treat in England..most notably football grounds.

it is indeed very nice, about a million calories per portion though - tempted to say chips & gravy is a classic Northern British dish already - but you are right the squeaky cheese curds take it to a whole new level indeed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe is because I'm in Western Canada or I just haven't been to right places, but I'm always a bit underwhelmed by Poutine.
  • Options
    Best I've had was in Maine. Chips fried in duck fat, and a fried egg on top - sunny side up.

Only thing missing was a side dish of statins.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Maybe is because I'm in Western Canada or I just haven't been to right places, but I'm always a bit underwhelmed by Poutine.

La Belle Patate here in Canmore Exiled. In a town full of fancy restaurants, it's always voted no 1 on all the foodie sires - it's pretty basic but very, very good & fattening!

http://calgaryisawesome.com/2010/07/11/chow-down-in-cowtown-la-belle-patate/
  • Options
    Been sold the idea of tree planting and trying to know where to go from here. I know all the sh*t stuff that comes with it.

Anyone else done it? From what I hear it sounds great probably tough of the old back but your at one with nature....
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

There is a street food stall in London that does it called the poutinerie. Think they are at brick Lane on Sundays.

I'm off to BC for holiday this summer. The Mrs is from there so going over with her. Been to Toronto and Ottawa before so looking forward to it.

I have been toying with the idea of moving over there. What would be my best option. Apply for jobs here or move and try and find something there?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

There is a street food stall in London that does it called the poutinerie. Think they are at brick Lane on Sundays.

I'm off to BC for holiday this summer. The Mrs is from there so going over with her. Been to Toronto and Ottawa before so looking forward to it.

I have been toying with the idea of moving over there. What would be my best option. Apply for jobs here or move and try and find something there?
    Col, best option, just do it!! You'll find BC far nicer than Toronto Ottawa also. Vancouver and its surroundings simply stunning
  • Options
    It's just a much better place then England for many different reasons.
    I'm in Southern Ontario atm.

The Canadian dollar is a stinker though.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

I do not believe you can just move to Canada and then find a job (summer work maybe??). I had to go through a long process of finding a job in Canada, take the written job offer to the consulate in London; they had to be convinced that the job I got could not be filled by a Canadian etc etc. I am sure there are other ways.
  • Options
    Not easy to get into Canada unfortunately - I was fortunate to be transferred here by my company - even then took a lot of time, money and paperwork to get permanent residence and then citizenship.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that you could get an offer of employment then show it to the Canadian government who give you a temporary visa (4 years maybe?). I will do some proper researching.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that you could get an offer of employment then show it to the Canadian government who give you a temporary visa (4 years maybe?). I will do some proper researching.

One of your comments above says your "Mrs is from there"? If so, as your wife or partner, she can sponsor you and she should apply on your behalf.
  • Options
    There's a thriving microbrewery culture in Quebec, if not elsewhere.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

One of your comments above says your "Mrs is from there"? If so, as your wife or partner, she can sponsor you and she should apply on your behalf.
    Partner. Didn't realise that. Will have to ask her and like I said do some research as at the moment it's just an idea.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

Col, best option, just do it!! You'll find BC far nicer than Toronto Ottawa also. Vancouver and its surroundings simply stunning
    House prices in Vancouver however...
  • Options
    Say whaaaaaat
  • Options
    Bcaddick said:

colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

I do not believe you can just move to Canada and then find a job (summer work maybe??). I had to go through a long process of finding a job in Canada, take the written job offer to the consulate in London; they had to be convinced that the job I got could not be filled by a Canadian etc etc. I am sure there are other ways.
    However, they took you brother so there's proof that it can't be that difficult!! :smile: xx
  • Options

Bcaddick said:

colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

However, they took you brother so there's proof that it can't be that difficult!! :smile: xx
    That means that you can move your arse over here too
  • Options
    Am in Saskatoon today - apparently Charlton played here on their 1937 tour

http://www.canadiansoccerhistory.com/British_Tours_to Canada/CharltonAthleticTour1937.html

Quite an incredible tour from coast to coast

@Henry Irving Is there anything about this tour in the museum? Am happy to do some digging in the local library archives and also get some photos of the stadiums where we played
  • Options
    Yes there is but we'd love to have more.

We have Month Wilkinson and Sam Bartram's items and I have a tour badge.

• Options
    Horrible stuff going down in Northern Alberta with a huge wildfire threatening to burn down the city of Fort McMurray. Fort Mac is about the sze of Tunbridge Wells and is the Oil producing capital of Canada. The whole population has been evacuated from their homes.

The weather in Alberta is super hot and dry at the moment, apart from a couple of days last week there hasnt been any significant precipitation for months. It was in the 90s today where i live - we ourselves back on to a vast tinder dry forest - its very worrying how devastatingly quick these fires take hold. Massive respect for the firefighters who go up against these raging infernos.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/traffic-jams-while-thousands-attempt-to-evacuate-fort-mcmurray-neighbourhoods